Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

What was so bad about XIV again? I don't play MMORPGs, but I hear all the time (well, whenever the game gets brought up) about how this is the worst ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

penguinmambo posted:

Coming fresh of X2 and its job system (which mostly own, though there's some you sort of get then never use again) and not really having played the early ones, what other FFs use the job system or close approximation without feeling like there's a bunch of useless jobs?

You'd probably like 5.

Tactics is also great, but it might require more time than you're willing to invest in it.

You should avoid 3 because there are several jobs that exist only to be used once or twice and then never again.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I really like the :downs: art style. It's cute, it fits the game, and looks way better than, say, the sprites used in FFIV PSP or Dimensions.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Okay, I can see where you guys are coming from.

It doesn't change the fact that I think it's a really ugly game with really crappy music. This is coming from someone who grinds FF6 in the path to the ancient ruins specifically because it has pretty music; it's not even a very efficient grind area.

You think FF12 is an ugly game?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Why would they suggest making Basch a White Mage?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

I think because the Holy rod combined with Basch's high strength allows for a lot of damage from a class that's normally pure support.

That seems like an awful lot of effort for what amounts to a novelty effect. Would White Mage Basch with a Holy Rod be dealing significantly more damage than, say, Basch in any actual physical-based class? Because "At the end of the game you can use White Mage Basch the same way you could have been using him the whole game if you had chosen Knight" isn't a very compelling argument and I can't imagine this idea really catching on.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 24, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Because Terra is actually the whiny protagonist everyone seems to think Cloud is. She's mopey and wishywashy and literally has a conversation with someone about whether or not she is capable of love. Everything about her is awful and annoying except for ability to blow poo poo up with her mind.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Like I said, it's about execution. Terra is well-executed and so the fact that she's got a backstory and personality that would drive people batshit isn't as apparent. The other half is voice acting, because a lot of her lines would be a lot worse with voice acting.

I think it's a combination of her voice acting and the limitations of FFVI's sprite work. The body language in FFVI ("looking down at the ground when you're sad") is much more tolerable than her body language in Dissidia.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Well, use everyone but Fran, because Jesus she sucks.
(Well, maybe buy her Cure and Raise and support spells like that so she can be the healbitch after encounters)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Does FJF have a signup sheet or sth? Edit also gently caress you Neo Shinryuu.

You signup through twitter. Here's everything you need to know:
http://www.letsplaying.com/lets-playing/FF5FF/help.php

The short answer is to tweet this:
@FF5ForFutures #reg

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, that was a pretty stupid part.

It's even more stupid if you rename Garnet anything other than "Dagger" as well. Because it makes her look like she has a type of ADHD.

If I had to dislike anything about her, it's the section of the game where she becomes completely useless - yeah I know it's plot relevant, but the amount of times you try to make her do something, and she shakes her head with the reply "Turnip Dagger can't concentrate".

Turnip is a fine name :colbert:

I'm playing Final Fantasy VIII now and boy are there are lot of train rides!

The Sorceress's Parade at the end of disc one was actually really neat and suitably creepy. I have a lot of respect for the way they mixed the FMVs and gameplay. The actual things that were happening sure were loving retarded though!

I feel like the Junction system would have been better received if the menus weren't such a mess. And the Draw system would have been better received if battles moved faster. (Right now each battle takes several minutes because I am sperg who has to draw a sizable stock of every new spell I come across then have Selphie tap the enemy until Squall can Card it.)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

So I guess I'll continue to play my original copy on ePSXe. Other than the achievements, there doesn't seem to be a point in buying this.

Woah woah woah I think someone is forgetting about the built in cheats menucharacter booster!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The achievement list is pretty funny.
Not "funny" like "Hey, the achievements in this game were really clever and well thought out and showed that the folks who came up with the list genuinely love the game and all its silly little details." It's "funny" in the "This is a product they are actually selling and people actually purchasing it" sense.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 15, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

Welp, I'm an idiot- I was having trouble with the game because I didn't know I could push Triangle on the stat screen to change jobs / abilities / etc. Thanks everyone for the advice, I started over and I'm doing much much better this time.

Don't feel bad, the first time I played I didn't realize you could select other units to dispatch by pressing L/R on the pre-battle formation screen.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Winks posted:

Really?

"The "Lightning Saga" that started with the release of FINAL FANTASY XIII, has achieved a cumulative shipment of over 9.6 million units; and in May 2012 FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 was brought to conclusion with the add-on content entitled "Lightning's Story: Requiem of the Goddess".

Key members of the FINAL FANTASY XIII development team including the Producer, Director and Art Director, are in preparations to present new information about the direction of Lightning's story. This presentation will take place at an event in Tokyo to celebrate FINAL FANTASY 25th Anniversary, on 1st September 2012."

All that text and Square still can't just say 'yeah, so we're doing XIII-3.'

Personally I'm hoping this AWESOME ANNOUNCEMENT turns out to be FF13: Lightning Saga Complete Edition for the Playstation Vita.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Speaking of confusing and disappointing iOS-related decisions made by Square Enix, it seems that Final Fantasy Dimensions will cost $30 in total, making it the most expensive game they've released on the platform to date and their most expensive digital release on any platform, unless you count all the FFXIII-2 DLC. They're charging as much for a single chapter of Final Fantasy Dimensions, in fact, as they are for Chrono Trigger.

Some games are worth paying a premium for, and I was even looking forward to this one, but I just can't imagine what they're thinking with this.

30 bucks for an iOS game? Square Enix...

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Square Enix sure is missing the point when it come to iOS games.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

microwave casserole posted:

Ah, I saw that message and assumed that it was telling me to follow the mist to get to the exit. Naturally, I went the opposite direction as often as I could in order to make sure I didn't miss any secrets. :pseudo:

Hoisted by your own petard.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Fungah! posted:

Holy poo poo, downloading that right now, that sounds loving amazing. Someone want to put up a how-to on getting the hack running and the patch applied to it?

Right here, but you should make sure you grab the latest patch version here.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Here's a bunch of new Lightning Returns details.

Despite taking place hundreds of years in the future or whatever, everyone who was in FFXIII-2 are still alive and at the same age because no one ages or dies anymore. Which is great, because it means that Hope can make a triumphant return in a support role:

quote:

Hope will give guidance to Lightning via wireless com.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

If it only has one ending... why would I want to play it again?

Maybe it's like Dragon Quarter and you have to constantly restart the game if you want to actually finish it.
Or maybe a lot of the quests are mutually exclusive so to see all/more than half of the content you'll have to play it again.
Or maybe new quests/bosses/events/costumes/whatever are unlocked in new game plus.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

I would laugh about this game coming out before VS XIII, an action RPG at that, but at this point it's just sad.

Actually, no, it's still really funny.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Why is Versus taking so long? Does Square have a team dedicated to the game at all or does some guy walk in every day and write like a few lines of code and then leave to go work on games that are actually being released?

Normally when JRPG developers officially announce a game, they estimate development is at least ~30% complete. When Versus XIII was announced, the only thing they had was the trailer. Everything was in Nomura's head and they had literally nothing on paper, let alone any actual coding done.

Development of the actual game engine wasn't complete until 2007 (later Nomura said that the gameplay uses a completely new engine developed specifically for Versus, but I don't know if that actually means game engine or if that's a mistranslation of him talking about it having new gameplay mechanics that only exist in Versus XIII)...

In conclusion, they gave Tetsuya Nomura a vanity project and it's going about as well as you would imagine.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Here's a pretty decent other one of him:

He also manages the impossible, and makes Tidus' shorts look not retarded, by making it look like someone ripped the leg off, rather than just not having it because...uh...fashion.

Don't worry, Nomura can fix that:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I like using meaningful names in Earthbound.

I just need to hack the game so I can replace "Pokey" with "Newman."

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

While we're talking character names, I'm running a Golden Girls-themed game of FF2 (DoS version) right now, based solely on the fact that Firion's character portrait looks like Bea Arthur.

So you're soloing it with Rose?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I've never played Cross but does anyone know how development went so wrong on the game? I don't think I've ever heard someone complement the game without massive caveats.

The creative team got together for a brainstorming session, asked "What did people really love about Chrono Trigger?" After they finished making that list, they pinned it on a bulletin board and said "Ok, let's not do any of this." Which, well, it's a problem when that list contains things like "it's a fun breezy adventure" and "charming, distinctive characters."

That, or they were making a stand-alone title, got like 70% done and then were told it was supposed to be a Chrono Trigger sequel.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I liked it when Prishe showed up in Duodecim even though I've never played her game and her personality is annoying as poo poo. And you know why? Because she actually had a personality (even if it was annoying) and showed like the vaguest glimmer of interest in the world around her.

Endorph posted:

On the other hand, Kefka's English VA in Dissidia is basically the best thing ever.

EDIT: But yeah, the plot is singularly awful. All people wanted was a goofy little crossover thing, not some ridiculously convoluted thing about 13 BATTLES IN SPACE AND TIME AND AMNESIA. I've loving beaten both those games and I still don't have the slightest idea what actually happened. There wasn't even much good interaction between characters (beyond anything involving Kefka or Jecht) because A) half the characters don't even act like they do in the actual games, and B) when they do act like they do in their actual games, they're too busy talking about whatever bullshit is going on in the nonsense plot to actually just bounce off each other as characters.

Also C) in Terra's case, they just rehash her entire character arc from FF6.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Also, have you guys ever noticed how freakishly large Golbez's proportions are:

http://www.schala-kitty.net/pandaemonium/resource/_012_Heightchart-chaos-lineup.png

It's not a big deal normally because you can kind of maybe write it off as it just being really big armor, but then when you unlock his armorless costume he's like, the exact same size and it looks so bizarre compared to the rest of the cast.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ross posted:

Is Gau your child or something? I'll post about whatever I want on these games in the Final Fantasy discussion thread, your permission isn't required.

Heh, maybe if you used Gau you'd know his parents wouldn't get that defensive about him.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's FFX - pretty much almost any enemy has something worth stealing, and Rikku isn't going to be doing much other than Stealing, Mixing or Using.

I knew those Al Bhed were no good. They're a bad influence on the good, honest Sin-fearing Yevonites of Spira.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cyberbob posted:

I had my Balthier as a machinist too. Next minute: Told Balthier is the worst person to use guns.

Was it just me, or were Measures the worst weapon idea ever.

Also: Fran as Archer.

I did both.

The .2 second difference in their attack animations isn't really a big deal.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Who needs healing spells when one of the base classes can already throw healing items from a distance with no charge time and no random chance to miss?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'm sure that the like three people in North American who own a PSP but not a NDS or a smart phone or an iPad are pretty excited about this development.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dross posted:

Zeality also apparently watched his referrers like a hawk because I once posted a link to some random blathering article on Chrono Compendium in my livejournal and he came and commented on it.

(I want to say this was in 2006)

My favorite Zeality moment was when he flipped out on a game journalist because of an offhand remark he made on a podcast about Cross being a relative failure compared to Trigger.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

How are y'all having feminism chat without mentioning Final Fantasy X-2? Grrrl Power! What can I do for you♥ Whooooo!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

That looks confusing and unplayable.

I think this is what "Fabula Nova Crystallis" translate to in English.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I'm trying to play FF2 Advance again and why the hell does nobody but Firion do any decent damage? I can't figure out why the hell he's doing like 500+ damage while Guy, who's loving dual wielding axes, does maybe 75 and Maria doesn't hit half the time. It's not skill levels, since they're almost all equal when it comes to their weapons, and there's no major difference in attack between Firion and Guy (53 versus 43). Firion has a Wing Sword and Golden Shield, Guy's dual-wielding Battle Axes. I don't loving get it, this system makes no sense to me.

I'd wager that there's a significant difference between Guy and Firion's Accuracy.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I won't ask how I'm supposed to know any of this, because I'm scared to know the answer.

If you meet the Kawazu, kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mustach posted:

2 is very straightforward compared to his other games. There is a direct, consistent correspondence between performing an action and raising a stat — it's not like a SaGa where stats and skills are gained randomly.

Kawazu asked: `Why does the enlightened man not stand on his feet and explain himself?' And he also said: `It is not necessary for speech to come from the tongue.'

Dr Pepper posted:

Bravely Default is looking cool.

They have no plans to bring it over at this time, but please continue to tweet and facebook about Square Enix's Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, from the makers of Final Fantasy.