Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
My first FF was 7, but my favourites are Tactics, 9, and 12.

7 is pretty fun, though. I'm replaying it for the first time in well over a decade now, and it's cool to look back on it without being blinded by nostalgia or backlash to the fandom. It's actually an interesting little game with some really atrocious pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Dr Pepper posted:

Actualy Tifa and Aerith's designs are kind of interesting because in many ways they give you expectations that they're different archetypes then they really are. It actually fits pretty well with how Cloud presents himself as a tough soldier type when he's really kind of an insecure dork.

And then everyone assumed they actually were those different archetypes so hard Square themselves began to believe it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Momomo posted:

Poor Freya. She could've been like, the coolest character in the game, but they ended up doing absolutely nothing with her. Instead that title goes to I dunno, Beatrix I guess.

I've always liked Freya, but it really is based more on how cool she could've been than how cool she actually was.

But I still love any and all dragoons, so.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

PSX version also has spell/skill quotes. "Heaven's wish to destroy all minds...Holy Explosion!"

I have no idea of why they'd take those out.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Job advice about FFXII Int version. Right now I have a White Mage, Black Mage, Hunter, Knight, and Monk. What should my last class be? I think I need either more AoE or more support, so Time Mage or I hear Samurai is good.

Or tell me how I've completely destroyed all chances of beating the game and should just start over now.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that status effects WERE really useful in older FF games. You pretty much never had to grind if you were willing to at least experiment. It sort of goes hand-in-hand with the falsehood of "you have to grind tons to beat this game" that somehow build up around FF.

Even if that wasn't true though, Final Fantasy XIII has exactly 6 options for what you can do. You'd figure that, especially with almost-mandatory segments where you have to use them, folks would at least give it a shot.

I think the problem is that a lot of people played their first FF when they were young and stupid. FFs have never really required status effects and buffs/debuffs to win the game, so a lot of people got used to mashing Attack because that's how they played FFIV/VI/VII when they were kids and hey, it worked right? Especially when you have to use Scan or Libra to figure out if your status spell will even work, so if you throw statuses out randomly against a boss like a stupid kid you're just going to think that statuses don't work.

Grinding is the same way. When you're a kid you don't think of a clever strategy to beat a boss, if you've figured out killing enemies makes you stronger you just grind. (I'd make an example of Phantasy Star here except that even when I'm an adult I still have to grind to beat that game)

So FF gets this reputation as being the RPG series where status effects are useless and you have to grind, and since it's so popular after a bit the reputation just becomes self-sustaining. It even influences other RPGs, so everyone's surprised when an RPG actually requires buffs/debuffs and statues to win. It's less so now that SMT got popular, but it's still pretty common.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Francois Kofko posted:

I try.

Also it's not like FF is the only JRPG where you kill God. That's, like, half of them. I never played the megaten games but I'm pretty sure you do in like all of those, and breath of fire 2, and

You fight angels in SMT1. You honest to god kill the Judeo-Christian God in SMTII, all routes. (he pulls a Dracula, though) You kill Katsuguchi in SMTIII, and I think it was implied to be an aspect of God, maybe? True Demon Ending you join Lucifer to fight God but it ends with that. Strange Journey you either kill the mother of all or a former party member become an angel.

Persona you never kill God, and it's not sure if He even really exists in that universe. They have their own all-powerful supernatural beings.

Devil Survivor you fight Babel. Devil Survivor 2 you fight Polaris. Raidou 1 you fight some jerk from the future. Raidou 2 you fight a demon.

Really, only SMTII you fight and kill God. Most of the time you end up beating up some angels/demons or some other powerful supernatural being.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Most of the time in Persona, the deities are manifestation of mankind's desires, and it's unclear if the mythologies are themselves true.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to get at. The closest thing to true deities in Persona are Philemon and Nyarlathotep, who are still the incarnations of humanity's collective unconscious, and Nyx, who is apparently death itself. Not quite the same thing as in the other games.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

If you really like the game a lot I recommend finishing it and then looking up the International Zodiac Job Patch or whatever its called. From what I understand it fixes the former "problem" by adding a class system where you choose the character class from the start of the game and your character is like that forever.

Yeah, the job system is pretty awesome, if a bit nerve-wracking since you can't change. But having access to all gambits early and most importantly a speed-up button more than makes up for it.

If you can play games emulated or have a modded PS2 there's no reason to not play FFXII International. They fixed so much, it's amazing.

Also, quick tip. Equips are very important in FFXII, and most classes of weapons have some difference in the stats they use or something about them that makes them different besides damage. Look those up, because they're useful, but I don't think they come right out and say in game "oh hey maces use your magic stat and katanas are strength+magic but blah blah blah".

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Actually they do. The Clan Primer contains a ton of info on how to play the game, including basic information on what stats weapons uses.

I was thinking of something in dialog, like an NPC mentioning it. But I may be misremembering or missed talking to someone. It's just something you might not think to check if you're used to weapons being ranged/not ranged and more/less damage.

Either way just give the Clan Primer a go over and you'll get a lot of useful information.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Dross posted:

Yes, Doublecast is the Red Mage Lv.20 ability and takes two slots. It is also the only reason to level a Red Mage, as they are awesome in the early game but by Chapter 4 both their physical and magical competence are very much outclassed and they are a hindrance to your party.

I hate how this always happens to Red Mages, though it's kind of inevitable with having White/Black Mages as classes.

At least Red Mages get to have the best fashion sense out of all mages.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

It might be a bad idea, but I'm still vaguely holding out hope for Valkyrie Profile Hrist: Smiting Infidels in the Name of Odin. It would basically be VP1 except the B ending is satisfying and Hrist is a gigantic bitch to everyone constantly.

I never got a chance to play VP2, but the DS game was really fun.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

The GIG posted:

I've never cared. It's not exactly gamebreaking to give them those, most of the time you would never notice/not really care.

Isn't it something like a tenth of a second slower or something ridiculous like that? The only way you'll ever notice is if you're hardcore min-maxing.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Mix is just hard to use in FFs without a guide. Super powerful, yes, but without a guide you'll just be screwing around with Potions and Phoenix Downs. Which are nice, but they're not the absolute ridiculousness you can get out of Chemists/Rikku.

It's an obscure, late-game ability when most FFs will take "grind until mash A for victory" as a legit strategy. It's just a higher burden than most people will put in.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Gologle posted:

Final Fantasy: Every character is the worst in the series. Except Balthier. And T.G. Cid. I would have said Cids in general, but FFD is a thing.

I never liked T.G. Cid. I don't need an overpowered character, game! I can make my own overpowered characters! And they'll be able to use their skillsets without restrictive equipment choices!

"Don't you need the power of the Thunder God?" Nope! Dismissed!

I guess he's okay from a story perspective, but I'd have rather gotten Olan as a PC. Delicious Galaxy Stop.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Ern Malley posted:

I think IV is pretty good because most of the remakes take time to mess with Kain.

GBA version: other people's post-game moon dungeons are fairly light and cheery affairs; in his you can choose to kill Cecil.
DS version: in the menu, where the player can see little thought bubbles for each of the party members, you can check in on his descent into madness during the Sealed Cave, and in the last dungeon, he's like "Oh god am I losing my mind again? Shiiit :smith:"
The After Years: Congratulations, Kain, you got to undergo the same boring trial as your friend did almost two decades ago! Now you have to ditch your cool helmet and put on the most byoootiful tiara. Also you get Cecil's old Red Wings job. And him and Rosa's kid will constantly follow you around and bug you.

Good times!

Watching Kain descend into madness is about the only reason I want to play the DS version. Except everything I've heard about it makes it sound like an unfun slog. Are there like...videos or something?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

penguinmambo posted:

Game aside Lightning is great as a character because it tells you so much about how Star Power is handled by those kinds of companies. They hit a goldmine and still IMHO aren't sure how it happened, but the know she was the most popular thing in the game and thru Japanese Business Logic are heavily pushing her foremost (which might work fine if she was in some other medium besides a tedious multihour game). There's also a hilarious tug-of-war between her designer revealing himself to be a creepo and the character preceived to be moneymaking/appealing because she's 'serious' (there is some legit Japanese Idol logic going on here) and thus needing to keep a dignity in the presentation, which is why the catgirl outfit was seen as funny by the fanbase but not Toriyama's recent interview joking about boob physics. I mean there's a reason one of the outfits you can buy is apparently a butler suit and not a maid one, while Serah could wear a fashionable beach swimsuit in *her* game. :v:

Now I'm curious. How did the Japanese fanbase react to the catgirl outfit and Toriyama's interview? Does anyone even know?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

So now the question is...is aging out of a series a bad thing? I mean, do you guys want Square to make games specifically for 20-30 American males, and then in another ten years, 30-40 American males? Just so you can keep the trappings of your childhood?

It's okay to grow out of things, guys. You don't need to complain on the internet how something aimed at teens should instead be aimed directly at you. Just find something for you and let go already.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

ShadowedFlames posted:

I've only managed to get past the Narshe three party fight, but here's what I've read and experienced so far.

Playing this on a modded PSP is iffy at best, my system refused to update it's save file so I lost from Vargas to Narshe for no reason. Playing on a tablet emulator or PC is my recommendation.

Are you using gpSP? For some reason, the latest version is set to only update the save file when you exit the emulator for some reason. If you turn off the PSP you just lose progress. There's an option to set it to auto-update like you'd expect it to do in the first place under emulator options. The option is called "update backup". I lost a ton of progress in FFV because of this.

If that's not the problem then I have no idea what's wrong.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

They're not Dragoons unless they jump and that's final. :colbert:

I made Balthier a monk in IZJS because I could. Same reason Vaan was a White Mage and Penelo a Hunter. Why not? They're all reasonably effective anyway.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I like menu-based combat because I'm bad at action games. That's why I'm playing RPGs in the first place!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

Also, I realize this isn't the thread for it, but I've never played Valkyrie Profile and I'd like to. I'm looking at the PSP remake because a) that's the only way to pay reasonable prices for the game and b) death to console JRPGs. Is the port any good? Or should I just hold off?

It's based on the Japanese version of the game, so you miss some of the quality of life changes the American PSX version had. I think there's some other minor problems, but overall if it's the only way you'll ever play VP then you should go for it. (I say this loving VP and only having played the PSX version)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

I would say CC, FFIX, and Legend of Mana are the three pillars for most beautiful games on the PSX. CC in particular is just consistently vibrant and gorgeous.

Valkyrie Profile :colbert:

The CG is awful but the spritework is above pretty much anything else. LoM probably wins on backgrounds, though.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Wow, nearly half of those who completed Team 750 runs beat both superbosses. Sure, Team 750 was almost like easy mode, but still.

Makes me feel kind of bad about burning out on FFV on my Team 750 Run. It was Easy Mode to be sure, I just had to go play something else. Maybe someday I'll go back and beat it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Jesus, is it really only three months away? I can't wait!

I am probably going to have to abstain from enshrining winners in the OP/second post this year, because hoooooly hell. :psyduck:

I'm going to have to do my taxes so I can donate my return for EVERYONE GET BERZERK again.

With any luck the feds will get back to me in time this year :unsmigghh:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I'm not sure I'd say he was "seduced" considering he thought of her as his mother.

Seduced in the "seduced to the dark side" sense, not the sexy sense.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Excels posted:

You're welcome. As a further point, most of it involves Edge.

...well, yeah? Edge hits on adult Rydia at multiple points, and they're about the only cast members that don't have a clear love interest by the end of the game. Who would you think it would involve?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Well, until Tactics when they're all mysteriously gone and nobody seems to notice or care.

By Tactics they've all been gone for generations, so yeah people probably aren't going to talk about them much. How often do you talk about dinosaurs in the middle of a war?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

P3 and P4 seem kinda like the Final Fantasy VII of the SMT series. They got the series bigger popularity, at least here in the West, but the "old guard" resents them for it.

It's why I want to play Persona 2. Just need to wait to get a PSP.

Persona 2 is super rad, but the gameplay is very 90s and it's really easy. Most battles come down to "pick the right fusion spell, win". If you don't like the story or characters you'll probably hate it.

I, personally, love the hell out of it, but you have to know what you're getting into.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Persona 2 (Both of them) is probably my favorite cast of a Persona game, but the stories passing is super hosed and kind of just throws nonsense at you immediately after just finishing up explaining the last nonsense. Eikichi's the best persona 'best friend' character though. I love Yousuke and Junpei but Eikichi is in another league entirely.

The fact that P2 stories are completely insane is why I love them. Way better than P3 not really doing anything interesting until October, at least. (Was it October? Whenever you beat Hanged Man)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Not an empty quote.

Also Rosa was added to Curtain Call recently.

That's pretty cool. I think the character I want to be added most is Delita, if they bother to do anything more with Tactics. Agrias is the better choice if you're only doing two, but come on, it's Delita. He's got to be in there somewhere.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

TARDISman posted:

I'm actually wondering who the bosses for Tactics tracks are, if they're Wiegraf, Algus/Argath/rear end in a top hat, or one of the Lucavi. (Don't tell me, I love waiting in suspense on this one.)

Since "Ultima, the Nice Body" is a track and they have a tendency to use final bosses, I'd bet Altima is in there. It would be boss if Wiegraf was one of the other enemies, though.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

Theatrhythm Curtain Call is scheduled to be release on September 16th and I am super excited for this, because it's also gonna come with a kickin rad collector's edition and I WANT THAT POUCH.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/03/theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call-getting-collectors-edition-north-america/

It's about 69.99 and only available through the SE Store though.

Oh man that pouch is great, but I don't really need a collector's edition... CDs are neat, but I can barely be bothered to rip CDs nowadays.

So excite.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

mcswizzle posted:

If I wanted to get the International version of FFXII to play on my PS2, what would I look for? A cursory search on Amazon for Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System shows only Japanese imports. Would that be what I'm looking for? Or should I look for a Region 1 version?

It was never released in the US, so if you want to buy it legitimately you need the Japanese version. Then you can rip it, apply the English patch, and either play in an emulator or burn a disk for your PS2.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Hey, 100 new posts in the FF thread! I wonder if there's some cool news-

Oh.

Carry on.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Bland posted:

I can't even decipher it

"A crazy person suggested making a serious fancomic. We made a bunch of jokes instead."

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

The millennia-spanning super-civilization of Centra which was wiped out 80 years before the start of FFVIII has been all but forgotten by pretty much everyone in the game.

It's amazing.

The millennia-old order of Jedi knights was wiped out about 20 years before the start of the original Star Wars trilogy and has been all but forgotten by pretty much everyone in the movie.

Sci-fi and fantasy are terrible with timelines.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Steal is such an unfortunate mechanics honestly.

It's just so binary. "Use until you get item." I'd like it a lot more if it had more gimmicks to it which encouraged you to use it thoughtfully rather than being so straight RNG.

I once spent something like half an hour trying to steal the Dark Matter off Zemus in FFIV Advance. It was an easier fight than when I just dumped Edge and brought Yang instead.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I think they decided to not try to translate the goofy pun. Her name is literally Cidney/Sidney in the Japanese version. (Written using the same characters as Cid even.) They jusy decided to make it Cindy in translation. (I'm not sure why since Sidney is a girl's name and still conveys the joke.)

Sid was the Cid in The Spirits Within, they fear any reference to that name will raise it once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I brickwalled on the Fire Crystal boss and just put it down and never came back. I should probably take another shot at it someday, but right now I got Yggdrasil labyrinths to explore.