Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Please someone try to do one of these for a Kingdom Hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Mega64 posted:

And the graphics are small enough where you don't get to make out every idiotic detail of Luso's insane outfit.

Oh, you mean

this wonderful creation. :getin:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Technically, she's a boss, not a summon! Although I think Garuda was a summon in previous games? She also has awesome battle music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F6B5wS84CU

Now somebody remix this with "Bad Romance".

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

God, Wanderer's Palace (the tonberry dungeon in FFXIV) is so much fun. It's designed for speed-running like endgame parties tend to do anyway, but they implemented it in a way that's hits the FF-flavor notes perfectly.

Pesky Splinter posted:

For something that's real :stonk:
Life-size Chocobo:

It's now when you realize that if they were real, chocobos are basically terrorbirds.

And we are the lunatics that ride them. :black101:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

FFXIV: ARR is good.

The dialogue comes in two flavors: Riddled with sex jokes or sounding exactly like it came out of a wondrously cheesy 16-bit FF script.

Plus you can play dress-up with your chocobo.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

My best FF is 7. :v: It isn't reaching a high bar to begin with and the translation is a piece of crap, but I blame Elentor's ongoing LP for really bringing out what there is to appreciate. It's got this perfect blend of stuff that works perfectly in context, and stuff that hilariously doesn't, which makes it just fun overall.

Close after is 6 and 9, and 14:ARR might be somewhere up there too.

The White Dragon posted:

1) Toss-up between FF9 and Lost Odyssey

C'mon man, when the hell you gonna LP Lost Odyssey

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Aww no worries. If it does happen it'll be a fine thing indeed. It's always apparent when someone LPs a game they're completely and thoroughly into, though the "lets make fun of this ridiculous hunk of crap" LPs will always have their place.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Fuckin' a, are we talking about music again

FFXIV has kinda won me way over. It hits the Uematsu notes and stylings now and then, but does its own thing too. Like the Thanalan theme.

Also, here that is being performed by one cool dude.

The main city themes are kind of funny because they're so blatantly influenced by film scores. Like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Pirates of the Caribbean meets How to Train Your Dragon,

I'm pretty sure Titan's theme has been posted here too, but for all two of you who don't know by now, the fight does something really neat where each phase is accompanied by a separate piece, each building intensity from the previous until the last one, where growly vocals + tribal chanting kicks in. Here's all of 'em, with song titles/times marked in the video description (plus bonus footage of MMO gameplay which, as always, tends to look like a lot of chaos unless you've actually played it)

And there's the 'decisive battle' theme, "Torn from the Heavens", which accompanies a few select story fights and some world bosses, using a lot of recurring riffs from FFXIV's score plus the prelude.

The White Dragon posted:

One Winged Angel actually has vocals on-disc, but they've been crunched down so they sound like they're midi.

Bells, frogs, big cherries, jinglebells, magic cheese, SEPHIROF

Mazed fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 25, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Meiteron posted:

Steel Reason is used for a few specific end-game boss fights, generally awesome. Some people get a little bit of a You're Not Alone vibe from the guitar riffs halfway through.

Steel Reason is the player characters' own theme, used to the same effect as that of, say, Locke's or Cecil's. Nothing can shake that impression for me.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Meiteron posted:

Mog Ex inverts the usual path of battle where the Boss is the primary target and any additional enemies are just annoyances to be quickly dealt with. In Mog Ex, the boss is entirely invincible and you progress through the fight by dealing damage to his seven moogle helpers in a specific way: when one dies, all the moogles are healed to full by the King who takes damage equal to how much he had to heal. So you're basically you're winning the fight by attacking 7 enemies at once, 5 of which cannot be controlled in any way and attack freely based on their own set behaviour, along with honest-to-god Combination Attacks which go off every 20-30 seconds and require a lot of well-coordinated movement to deal with. It is not an environment that lends itself well to coordination.

Meanwhile, you still have to deal with the angry King Moogle who hits pretty hard, can't be damaged, and gives 1-minute stacking damage boosts in a wide area around himself, forcing tanks (who are each holding one of the two controllable moogles) to alternate holding his attention while dragging him around the arena to keep him away from as many moogle helpers as you can. Moogle helpers who are totally fine with just wandering over at exactly the wrong moment to take a buff when the King decides to throw one out goddamnit Thief moogle I just dragged this rear end in a top hat to the opposite side of the arena to get it away from you what the gently caress are you doing over here but I digress.

It is actually a pretty forgiving fight, I've had hard-earned victories where people were dying left and right yet we could get everyone back up for when it mattered, but more often I've just had groups barely hang on until everything explodes in random, hilarious ways.

If it's both as chaotic yet forgiving as you say, that's like a triumph of game balance, or something.

Throw players into a completely clusterfuck, make them work a bit to sort it out, yet also make it so that one or two missteps on the part of one person doesn't spell a wipe and forced restart of the entire thing, and you have the good kind of challenging.

Most MMO boss fights fall into the category of relentless dance-rehearsal, then relentless praying your fellow group members don't gently caress up, repeat about twelve times until you actually win.

(and yet my raid leader from when I did this in WoW complained about Dark Souls' difficulty)

Of course I hear most other extreme-mode primals in FFXIV fall squarely under that category, so I am please look forward to it :suicide:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Sunning posted:

On the SE livestream, they just announced that gay marriage is coming to FFXIV: ARR.

Oh, and inter-species marriage is in as well for good measure. What am I supposed to tell my kids when they see a Lalafell kissing a Roegadyn in public?

What kind of parent doesn't look forward to explaining to their kids the sanctity of bromance? :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

FF7 remake confirmed.

Going to be released as a series of smartphone apps containing 5 minutes of the original's gameplay apiece.

The Knights of the Round and Super Nova spells will have several apiece just dedicated to them.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Secret of Mana is kind of a Final Fantasy so I'm gonna post about it here.

I really really really recommend the new remake, despite (or perhaps because of ) anything you may have heard about it.

It plays the same. It is the same. Except there's inn conversations where the main three spend their time dunking on every NPC, and each other.

Turn off the voice acting, trust me. Predictably, only the Sprite's VA gave a poo poo.

The Girl would've been fine if her actress had ever seen Mean Girls, and also hadn't hit the valium during recording.

The redone music is mostly baffling experimental mixed-genre nonsense, but with some tracks that just blow the originals out of the water. Nothing in between.

But what is most important is that they faithfully reproduced most, if not all, of the bugs. If that in itself doesn't have legitimate postmodern artistic value, nothing does.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The difficulty curve issue in RPGs relates directly to sidequests and various other curiosities. It's not a matter of just grinding up levels to stomp everything; it's finding everything to do because you're having a good time and want more, and accidentally getting so swole you two-shot bosses.

This is NieR Automata's biggest problem.

Barudak posted:

FF13 is probably the toughest FF game.

Its also the best one and unironically if I were in charge of FF id be making so many spinoffs using that combat engine you all would be begging for mecy.

This but also unironically.

Like, the slapped-together story was poo poo, but the combat system was really freakin' good.

Same as in FFX-2.

Basically just chain Motomu Toriyama to a drafting board for combat systems and never show him even the tiniest pictures of characters.