Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Help Im Alive posted:

Isn't his outfit like exactly the same

Same basic design, but they've added more ornamentation, and altered some details like the mask, helmet and clasp, and added pauldrons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Baal posted:

It's very possible the voice direction was to once again imitate the JP Voice Actors and Japanese Yuna sounds about as bad as FFX Hedy Buress. Also, it's FFX Yuna and it's very possible she either decided to be true to what the character sounded like at that point or the ADR Director was given specific instruction to make her sound like she did back then.

From what Kuja's VA said (of the vocal direction in Dissidia), it's likely. Although the returning cast for Dissidia 012 ended up sounding less stilted than the first, so go figure that one out.

Unrelated, I curse you Baal, you baka gaijin, for making me bite the bullet and looking into this Jojo thing...And now I'm completely loving hooked. You bastard.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

victrix posted:

Has there been any concrete word on a home port of the new Dissidia?

Not currently. If I had to guess, it'd be long after they boost the character roster - assuming any kind of port at all.

I forgot how cluttered their UI was.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I'm all for challenge, but 50 million HP for Yiazmat was absurd.

Still, not as bad as that MMO boss that refilled its health to max after...10 hours(?) of fighting, and when it was finally defeated, the devs kept patching out various weaknesses.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I do wish they also ported the PSP Dissidias, but eh, that's alright. The HUD looks pretty bad though - just a clusterfuck of bars and numbers and minimap.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 14, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mega64 posted:

That dumb cliched poo poo and kinda got lost in the whole thing to the point where nothing makes any drat sense.

FFIV:TAY.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mega64 posted:

The Guado were won over with the love and affection Seymour had for his best summon buddy, the creepy-as-gently caress bondage fish creature shrieking in pain.

*Hideous agonising death shriek*
'Mom says, "Hi"'.

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, Zantetsuken (斬鉄剣 - Sword which cuts iron) is also one which they've traditionally kept as is. One "ken" that did get localized was Seifer's limit break Shimatsuken (始末剣 - Deal with/Dispose + Sword) which became Fire Cross. Probably intentional that it originally had a similar naming convention to Squall's.

It's neat going through JRPGs you played way back when in Japanese and seeing what led to various localization choices.

I liked that amatuer retranslation attempt at "being faithful and literal" to the Japanese version of FFVII ("Moggle" to "Moguri", etc)...but keeping "Omnislash" and replacing Cait Sith with his OC, Mathias Iscariot.

The whole process of the choices during localisation (what they deem valid enough to change/not change) is genuinely facinating, and I wish there were more sites like Legends of Localisation where they breakdown the choices and analyse all the factors surrounding translation - translatability, flow, audience understanding and culture, and other limiting factors.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 28, 2018