Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i love 13 but the story is trash and i cant defend anything in it that isnt lightning punching snow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

honestly I can think of several moments which, while very very stupid, I enjoyed immensely:

lightning apologizing to a door
lightning punching snow
snow's confusion as to what guns are for resulting in him casually throwing them away, handing them to children or firing them wildly into the air to make noise
vanille's instant understanding of what guns are for when she picks one up and immediately starts gunning people down with it
hope's increasingly furious facial expressions when snow talks to him while he has a giant blood grudge against him

Oh, sure there are def things in it that are funny bad. Lightning punching snow is just an actual story moment, with characterization for both snow and lightning (lightning is mad at snow to shift blame from herself for driving serah away, and snow just takes the punches cause he blames himself for serah being captured). Can't really defend lightning apologizing to a door in the same way

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

lightning had been very aggressive and unpleasant to the door, but when she sincerely apologized to it and the door understood that she was desperate and just lashing out at it, it let her in

The door and lightning lived happily ever after

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

Oh you didn't read the rest of that poo poo show? See Yuna has sex with his corpse and then the dead start coming back to life because she can't let Tidus go.

Huh, that's weird, I feel like there was an entire game about her doing just that. Oh well must be my imagination

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Squall is Dead only had traction because the story's so loving dumb that "fevered dreams of a dying kid" made more sense than the story as-written.

Rinoa as Ultimecia was still the dumber of the two theories.

SE was even dumber for not saying one (or both) theories were right because both of them are better than the story being played straight.
Saying a character was dead all along is boring and poo poo and in like 99 percent of cases is just a way for the person espousing it to not engage with the narrative in favor of just trying to be edgy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

central dogma posted:

Is FF 2 and 3 any good? I've never played them through, and what kind of final fantasy fan hasn't played every installment?

Ff2 gba is one of my fav ff games, but the NES version is trash

Ff3 nes is alright I guess, but the DS version is trash

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I sorta liked FFXIII-2 because the devs were very aware of what went wrong in XIII.

Well at least they tried.

Uh they, in my eyes anyway, messed up the combat somewhat, I didn't feel anywhere near as fun in 13-2 then 13-1

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

The real answer is FFVIII is badly written game.

If you need a totally unfairly oppressed supervillain in your FF, there's Seymour.

He forced Yuna to marry him

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
its not kains fault, he got mind-controlled like 10 times

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well gently caress :( About five levels ago I noticed Pepu (my THIEF) couldn't hit loving poo poo and when he did hit, he didn't do much damage. He can't even steal anything! Is there any reason not to go Fighter Fighter White Black?

well ninja gets really weak black magic so thats a plus (not really, yeah fighter fighter is just better in most ways)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

There was no reason everyone in the game world was tripping over themselves to fellate Squall about how great he was. He's more like a bully who is mean-spirited because of his own low self-esteem than he was a "shy, vulnerable" teenager. And he was only as competent as he was at everything because of Protagonist Syndrome. Man that story was bad on so many levels.

Oh no, not protagonist syndrome, whatever will we do.

Hey can you use the words god gave you instead of expecting me to know what tvtropes bullshit you're on about

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Trying to decide what to play next. FFIx which I’ve beaten once before when it came out and I don’t remember much of except the awesome music when Zidane is all mentally hosed up, FFX which I’ve played and never beaten(think I hosed myself on one of the Seymours,) or FFVII which I’ve never played. I’ve also never beaten 12 or played 13, but those aren’t in the mix right now. Anyone got an opinion??
I played ff7 for the first time a few years back and while yeah the graphics aren't the greatest, the story is actually really good. Also I really digged the character interactions, Like I'm not joking, aeris is a fuggin Savage and it's awesome. I was actually really surprised

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Like I think the best thing about playing ff7 in 2019 is finding out how 20 years of hearing about how cloud, aeris, and tifa act is all completely wrong, like somehow they all got memed into the exact opposite characters then they actually are

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Sorry I meant ff8 not 7. I played the poo poo out of 7 as a kid.

Oh, well I don't like ff8 as much tbh, I stopped like 2 hours in cause it just didn't grab me

However I have a friend who loves it so much they play it like once a month, since it came out, so I guess there's that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I love you Steve but please stop telling me how ff8 is the greatest romance ever told

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

Finished FF4 sans Lunar Ruins and I'm on Disc 4 of FF9. Just beat Ozma whilst on the shitter, which is no more than that meteor-flinging gently caress deserves.

FF4 was really charming. I'm not a fan of ATB but it didn't hurt this game at all. Ive never had an FF villain call me an 'ignorant dotard' so points for that I guess. I plan on finishing the postgame later.

FF9 is also very charming thus far. The characters are mostly a joy, with only Amarant and Quina being kinda meh. They're fun to use in battle, at least.

After this ill only have 2, 12, 13, and 15 as FF mainline games ive never played. Ill probably wait for 12 on Switch, so it'll be between the other 3.

I would suggest playing ff2 on the gba or later, as the releases before that ive heard are pretty janky

I mean I guess ff2 gba is janky in it's own way but I'm a big fan of it so I guess it's jank I like

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jokes posted:

Why in the world is Ivalice supposed to be pronounced "Ee-va-lees" that is truly absurd to me.

No one is stopping you from pronouncing it however you want, let go of prescriptivism

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
1 might not have a true job system but I think it should get some credit for at least letting you pick distinct classes at the beginning, like I think it's a clear prologue to the real job system (and I'm pretty sure every job system has had those 6 classes as jobs even)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF1 is still good.

Heck yeah

Nibble posted:

I had a lot of fun with FF Legend 2 as a kid, and it made a lot of sense when I later played SaGa Frontier and learned they came from the same roots. I've never tried FF2 though, I take it it's probably too unpolished by today's standards to really be enjoyable?

Ff2 gba is no joke one of my fav games, I have a feeling it made it way easier then the original but I like it a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I should play FF2 one of these days

It's good! Or at least, not bad. Just play the psp or gba version