Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The way they rename a lot of stuff in games is interesting. Renzokuken is kept as it is because it sounds a lot cooler than the Japanese, I think is just something like continuous sword slashes, or relentless assault.

Omnislash is renamed from Choukyuu Bushin Hazan the original in FF7, which I think translates to something like Peerless [super-natural] swordsmanship.

Yeah, Zantetsuken (斬鉄剣 - Sword which cuts iron) is also one which they've traditionally kept as is. One "ken" that did get localized was Seifer's limit break Shimatsuken (始末剣 - Deal with/Dispose + Sword) which became Fire Cross. Probably intentional that it originally had a similar naming convention to Squall's.

It's neat going through JRPGs you played way back when in Japanese and seeing what led to various localization choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

「Why do you hunt sorceresses so? Why am I denied my freedom?!」

Truly the words of a crazy person. But Ultimecia is supposed to be a magic super hitler so we shouldn't think too hard about it, right?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

she literally tried to kill time

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

gigglefeimer posted:

Truly the words of a crazy person. But Ultimecia is supposed to be a magic super hitler so we shouldn't think too hard about it, right?

Isn't the backstory that she was persecuted or something because she was a sorceress? I swear I read that somewhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

Isn't the backstory that she was persecuted or something because she was a sorceress? I swear I read that somewhere.

she was persecuted due to the atrocities she committed during her time-traveling which she committed because she was persecuted and so on and etc

ultimecia's inability to break free from her past might have had some kind of thematic tie-in to all the stuff with squall, laguna and ellone, but unfortunately FF8 is like many badly written stories in that it's not really about anything, so nothing ever amounts to anything larger

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
R=U motherfuckers

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Oxxidation posted:

she was persecuted due to the atrocities she committed during her time-traveling which she committed because she was persecuted and so on and etc

ultimecia's inability to break free from her past might have had some kind of thematic tie-in to all the stuff with squall, laguna and ellone, but unfortunately FF8 is like many badly written stories in that it's not really about anything, so nothing ever amounts to anything larger
Ultimecia is a stable time loop. That is only noteworthy because it isn't hard to write a stable time loop but there are very few to call out as interesting because they usually aren't.

Having a realization that FF8 is basically Primer.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

The game itself tells you that.

Oxxidation posted:

Kinda funny circular logic you have there. It's badly written, so it's not about anything, so it can't be about this thing, because it's badly written. Turn your brain off it's just a dumb JRPG lol

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

gigglefeimer posted:

The game itself tells you that.

Kinda funny circular logic you have there. It's badly written, so it's not about anything, so it can't be about this thing, because it's badly written. Turn your brain off it's just a dumb JRPG lol

Circular logic tends to get some leeway when time travel is involved. Hence the idea of a time loop

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

The Light Warriors closed the time loop.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
But Garland wasn't even married to Ultimecia at Figaro Castle when that happened! So is this a plot hole or is there something we're missing in the English translation?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The real answer is FFVIII is badly written game.

If you need a totally unfairly oppressed supervillain in your FF, there's Seymour.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

If you need a totally unfairly oppressed supervillain in your FF, there's Seymour.

the murderer?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There’s only one tragic villain worth your pity in Final Fantasy, and his name is Marche.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

"It's badly written" is not an answer (to what?). It's a refusal to engage with the material.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I engaged in the material and blood started spurting out my ears and I found myself wishing for death, so the usual Final Fantasy experience.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

He forced Yuna to marry him

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yes, his backstory was the racist Guado kicked him and his mom out to some godforsaken land and then his mom literally said to lil' Seymour "the only way the people will accept you is if you die AKA defeat Sin."

He then grew up to have a lot of issues to the surprise of no one.

It's a straight tale of bigotry and racism unlike Ultimecia's weird time travel bullshit.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Do they ever say how Seymour came back and was accepted again? Or did he just summon Anima once and people figured going against him was a bad idea

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bobjr posted:

Do they ever say how Seymour came back and was accepted again? Or did he just summon Anima once and people figured going against him was a bad idea

It's never really explained beyond the Guado were racist and anti-Yevon until Jyscal made them pro-Yevon and thus less racist to humans. It took him several years to accomplish this so who knows what he did to finally convince them but the damage was obviously done by the time Seymour was allowed to return.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes, his backstory was the racist Guado kicked him and his mom out to some godforsaken land and then his mom literally said to lil' Seymour "the only way the people will accept you is if you die AKA defeat Sin."

He then grew up to have a lot of issues to the surprise of no one.

It's a straight tale of bigotry and racism unlike Ultimecia's weird time travel bullshit.

People itt would say they were right to kick out Seymour because the Guado are in fact wizard hitlers. For instance, take Seymour as a prime example.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Guado were won over with the love and affection Seymour had for his best summon buddy, the creepy-as-gently caress bondage fish creature shrieking in pain.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Man if only Kid Seymour knew he only had himself to blame...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mega64 posted:

The Guado were won over with the love and affection Seymour had for his best summon buddy, the creepy-as-gently caress bondage fish creature shrieking in pain.

*Hideous agonising death shriek*
'Mom says, "Hi"'.

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, Zantetsuken (斬鉄剣 - Sword which cuts iron) is also one which they've traditionally kept as is. One "ken" that did get localized was Seifer's limit break Shimatsuken (始末剣 - Deal with/Dispose + Sword) which became Fire Cross. Probably intentional that it originally had a similar naming convention to Squall's.

It's neat going through JRPGs you played way back when in Japanese and seeing what led to various localization choices.

I liked that amatuer retranslation attempt at "being faithful and literal" to the Japanese version of FFVII ("Moggle" to "Moguri", etc)...but keeping "Omnislash" and replacing Cait Sith with his OC, Mathias Iscariot.

The whole process of the choices during localisation (what they deem valid enough to change/not change) is genuinely facinating, and I wish there were more sites like Legends of Localisation where they breakdown the choices and analyse all the factors surrounding translation - translatability, flow, audience understanding and culture, and other limiting factors.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 28, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I had a good time watching that guy from Kotaku go through FFVII and highlight a bunch of different translation stuff. I'm sad he appears to only want to do Disk 1 but oh well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

There’s only one tragic villain worth your pity in Final Fantasy, and his name is Marche.

You misspelled 'contempt'.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Marche was right.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bongo Bill posted:

Marche was right to get red carded for using a Bandage and spend the rest of his life in prison because nobody likes him enough to bail him out

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

I had a good time watching that guy from Kotaku go through FFVII and highlight a bunch of different translation stuff. I'm sad he appears to only want to do Disk 1 but oh well.

I think it's been mentioned in here before, but a professional translator compared the Japanese version of FFVI to multiple different translations to see what they did right or wrong, and why. It was quite interesting: https://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-vi/

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Kanfy posted:

Interestingly enough, another of Seifer's moves was translated in FF8 (Chimatsuri/Bloodfest), but untranslated when it was reused for the Ninja limit break in 14. Which, granted, because ninjas.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Tim Rogers, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZefYEaNUJ7w

Highly worth any fan's time.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Mister Olympus posted:

Interestingly enough, another of Seifer's moves was translated in FF8 (Chimatsuri/Bloodfest), but untranslated when it was reused for the Ninja limit break in 14. Which, granted, because ninjas.

Today I learned the NIN lb3 Chimatsuri is an FF8 refrence.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BrightWing posted:

Today I learned the NIN lb3 Chimatsuri is an FF8 refrence.

Goes back to 7 actually, Yuffie had Bloodfest as well.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It was a weird one too since it was the only Limit of hers which wasn't named after an idiomatic yojijukugo. Clear Tranquil was 明鏡止水 (Meikyō Shisui - "a mind clear as a polished mirror and serene as still water"), Landscaper was 抜山蓋世 (Batsuzangaisei - "heroic vigor and strength"), and so forth. Bloodfest was literally just "Blood Festival".

Mister Olympus posted:

FF14 likes to mix up translated and untranslated stuff for Ninja and Samurai in particular. Samurai have the skill Meikyo Shisui from above which they left untranslated rather than bringing back Clear Tranquil, but at the same time they kept the Samurai Limit Break as Doom of the Living instead of leaving it as Shojahitsumetsu. Maybe it would've been too much of a mouthful. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not too familiar with XI but wasn't Meikyo Shisui used by SAMs there too? So maybe they just preserved it for nostalgia for the MMO veterans.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I feel like a moron for knowing what "chi" and "matsuri" mean but never really putting two and two together despite how often I see that drat LB3 go off.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
12 question in regards to gambits:

I've got Vossler as a guest while I'm in the sandsea, he's got a lot of technics and gambits. One of his technics is wither which reduces the foe's strength and another one which reduces the foe's defense. These seem to be pretty useful.

However... let's say I want him to use wither on the foe with highest HP and then subsequently attack him. So wither would be gambit #1 and attack gambit #2, but he will just continually use wither instead of attacking because that's the first gambit. So these gambits are not helping me.

So is it the point that I'm supposed to manually switch to Vossler after his first gambit and then control him? But that's defeating the point of the gambits, when I want to be controlling another character due to her time magic abilities....

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

12 question in regards to gambits:

I've got Vossler as a guest while I'm in the sandsea, he's got a lot of technics and gambits. One of his technics is wither which reduces the foe's strength and another one which reduces the foe's defense. These seem to be pretty useful.

However... let's say I want him to use wither on the foe with highest HP and then subsequently attack him. So wither would be gambit #1 and attack gambit #2, but he will just continually use wither instead of attacking because that's the first gambit. So these gambits are not helping me.

So is it the point that I'm supposed to manually switch to Vossler after his first gambit and then control him? But that's defeating the point of the gambits, when I want to be controlling another character due to her time magic abilities....

Huh, this is Zodiac Age? I thought the gambits in that one were smart and wouldn't cast things that had no effect.

Anyway, in this case I'd say manually cast wither, then use an attack gambit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You need to make the first gambit trigger only if the targets health is 100% so as soon as an enemy takes a hit they stop casting the spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Could you do a HP=100% instead of “highest HP”? So then he casts Wither once, but by the time he’s finished, someone else has gotten a hit in, so the enemy isn’t at 100% health and the gambit gets skipped? I did that with Steal and it worked quite well.

e:f,b.