Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I just want to chime in and say that if you (like me) had a love-at-first-play relationship with IV, you really owe it to yourself to play the DS remake. I don't think I'd recommend it to people new to the game, but from a nostalgia standpoint it was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
For me the big problem with the aesthetic in Dimensions is the incredibly bland character design and the 'smoothness' of the sprites. Going for a retro look only works when the level of pixelation in the art assets is similar to the way it used to be. Hence everything looking like RPG maker crap.

Also it's hilarious how whenever anyone wants to evoke 16-bit RPGs they go with the 'Cecil standing on Mount Ordeals' shot:

E: For comparison:

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 25, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I can't believe I'm asking this because I swore it wasn't even worth looking at but what's the deal with Dimensions on Android? I'm not seeing on Google Play or anywhere, and on the official SE website it only lists availability for iOS devices.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

So I'm playing FFIV DS and yeugh. Stuff like the encounter rate, long-rear end dungeons, constant party changes and occasional bullshit enemies is bugging the hell out of me. Not to mention I tried to figure out the whole deal with augments and damned if I can figure that out - everybody has to have a certain augment at a certain time or else it's wasted or something like that? It's not like they're common enough to actually make a difference, anyway, but it just seems really obnoxious to me.

The game's kinda obtuse and stilted at times. Am I missing something, or...?

Really important - have you played vanilla FFIV to completion? The game is actually meant as a nostalgic trip back for veterans rather than an introduction to FFIV.

If you have played FFIV, think of the DS version as a strategic puzzle game to figure out the correct strategy for random encounters and bosses. You'll need to use all your resources in any given battle - including buffs/debuff spells and items as well as augments and new abilities and even (at times) the auto battle system.

As for augments, the basic way they work is as follows: Throughout the game, characters will be joining and leaving. When a character (that is not one of the five in your final party) leaves, they will give you one, two, or three augments, depending on if you've given them zero, one, or two or more augments respectively. You will also gain augments due throughout the plot and occasionally as treasure from sidequests.

Augments have three purposes. They are abilities to use in battle, they aid in getting other augments by giving them to temporary characters, and they affect character stat growth for levels above 70.

If you're only playing to have fun, go ahead and go nuts with augments. Give them to whoever, experiment, and just have fun. Try to slap at least two on most characters so you don't miss any, although save the better ones for your final five party members, who are Cecil, Kain, Rydia, Rosa, and Edge. If you're a FFIV vet and are interested in multiple playthroughs with min/maxing your party, get a guide. Seriously, there's no other way if you're a completionist.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
While we're talking character names, I'm running a Golden Girls-themed game of FF2 (DoS version) right now, based solely on the fact that Firion's character portrait looks like Bea Arthur.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I've never played Cross but does anyone know how development went so wrong on the game? I don't think I've ever heard someone complement the game without massive caveats.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Harlock posted:

I wish I could embed Kefka laugh on this page.

Don't worry, you've embedded it in my head just by mentioning it.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
In my very, very, biased opinion, the most tactical FF combat I've ever see in any FF (main series) game is FFIV DS. Beating Pink Puffs in that version of the game is a bitch and a half, requiring clever use of augments / the auto-battle setup.

But, of course, I'm horribly biased because FFIV DS is my favorite version of my favorite FF.

If you want a tactical game in the first 3, try a low-level or white mage only runthrough of FF1. White mage is more about figuring out how to break the game, but low-level is pretty cool with a lot of situational tactics.

E: A video of FEARing Chaos to 'death' in FF1. Not recommended. Read the comments for why this took 5 days of trying before it worked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUT47Za7lPY

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 16, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I only ever rented FF1 as a young kid and I was lucky to make it past Garland. Hell, I remember spending most of my time loading someone else's save data post-airship & class change and flying around aimlessly exploring the world.

I did eventually trek through it with the help of the AMAZING Nintendo Power guide. Seriously, that guide is incredible. Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRJNW7WqY28

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Loving Life Partner posted:

poo poo, I'm the only one that was "little" when FF1 came out? gently caress. :corsair:

Dude I own an original Dragon Warrior cart from the Nintendo Power promotion. :hfive:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Mister Roboto posted:

FF7 is aging badly, and the artistic elements of it that made it groundbreaking at the time are now commonplace. For example, the oppressive dirty modern-day atmosphere and the bad guys being corporations. Half the games today have those elements, but in 1997? Rpgs were castles and scary dragons and the villains were Darth Vaders.

What struck me about VII that still sets it apart from 1-6 is the hosed up monster design. We haven't really talked much about monsters in this thread, but when VII lost the detail of sprites and was forced to build monsters out of blocky polygons, the design went from 'crazy cast of humans and magical beasts' to 'insane Lovecraft-with-children's-blocks' designs. The plot reason was, of course, that Mako created all these bizarre mutants of real animals, but I think a lot of that was due to the graphical advances/limitations.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Miracon posted:

On the other hand, if you dual-wield, you can gain weapon EXP twice as fast. Weapons might be able to give evasion, but that might be the mod I'm playing. Can someone check that?

Ok, here we go. This is for GBA FF2:

quote:

Stat Leveling Mechanics

These are the mechanics for how stats raise. The more rounds a battle
lasts, the more likely you are to get a stat boost. HP and MP are the only
stats that are a total exception to this rule. Your chances for those
range from 1-in-2 to 1-in-64, depending on how much damage is taken or MP
is used during a round of combat; the more damage taken or MP used,
the better.

HP: Lose HP in battle; 1-in-2 to 1-in-64 chance, depends on HP lost
[Editors note: in FF2GBA characters automatically gain HP after a certain number of battles to help the numbers keep pace better]
MP: Lose MP in battle; 1-in-2 to 1-in-64 chance, depends on MP lost
Strength: Select Attack; 1-in-16 chance
Intelligence: Use a black magic spell; 1-in-16 chance
Spirit: Use a white magic spell; 1-in-16 chance
Magic: Use any spell; 1-in-16 chance
Stamina: Get hit by physical attacks; 1-in-16 chance
Agility: Be targeted by and evade enemies' attacks; 1-in-16 chance
Evasion: Be targeted by enemies' physical attacks; goes up every 64
Magic Evasion: Be targeted by enemies' magical attacks; goes up every 64

Note here that your 'Evasion' is a small number that represents how many of the a single number of attacks can be avoided. Remember that FF 1 & 2 use the 'X hits for X*Y damage' formula for physical attacks.

You have a separate Evasion Percentage that represents the likelihood of evading each attack. The formula for this is
code:
EVA = (Agility + Weapon Evasion + (Weapon Evasion * Weapon Level) + 
       Shield Evasion + (Shield Evasion * Shield Level)) - Armor Evasion Penalty
So, let's assume you have an Evasion of 5, and a calculated Evasion Percentage of 63. An enemy attacks you with a 7 hit attack with perfect accuracy.

You will immediately get hit by and take damage from the first two attacks. Each of the next five will have a 63% chance of missing. Because some of the attacks hit, you can not gain agility from this.

The end section of this guide goes into detail about all the mechanics people keep asking about.

The short story about shields is: you can dual-wield to level weapons, but always wear a shield in actual combat because without one your evasion percentage sucks and without the ability to avoid attacks you will never gain agility.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The real trick is not to give Edward any augments because Salve and Hide are useless. Give Auto-Potion, Item Lore, and Curse to the twins, get Dualcast for Rydia/Rosa, win game.

And yeah, Cecil with Draw Attacks, Counter, and (later) Brace puts the game into easy mode for a considerable portion of the story.

E: Started my 2nd playthrough of FF4DS the other day and I still love it because you have to treat each battle like a puzzle to solve with full knowledge of the game mechanics. I cannot imagine beating Scarmiglione's 2nd form in this game without knowing to switch party rows beforehand. Even fully decked out in augments and with two pairs of adamant armor he (and Mom Bomb!) nearly killed me.

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 13, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hey guys, totally random change-of-topic, but I've been playing through Jeff Ludwig's rebalance of FFI Dawn of Souls.

It's a ton of fun and changes the face of the game. The difficulty curve is much closer to the original (without all of the punishing bugs and pain-in-the-rear end interface). In fact, I'd say the whole mod is a love letter to the feeling of playing the original game.

I'm playing the 3.0 version with new character classes. Instead of a class change, there are now 12 classes with distinct spell lists, leveling stats, and equips. There's also a 2.2 version that keeps the classes as before.

I know the mod also fixes some things in FFII but I don't know anything about them because that would require playing FFII :v:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Bear Sleuth posted:

Hey everyone who's been bitching, Dimensions is on Android.

Do you guys think it'll hold at $20 or go back up to $30 after the Christmas sale?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I liked 4HoL a lot, mostly because it does the NES FF formula very well. It's a retro game in game design, not in graphics, and as a result plays different to nearly all modern jRPGs.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Mordaedil posted:

If this comes for Android...

I look forward to buying it for Android sometime in late 2014.

Any FF game that has a pachinko-like rainbow FEVER! is an immediate purchase, imo.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Has anyone played through the revamp of II on iPhone/Android? Even the GBA version, emulated with fast forwarding, is incredibly boring. Like, I had every intention of beating it recently and got all the terrible grinding done early in the game and just plowed through everything and it was still so unfun. I'd like to beat it just to say I've beaten it but man it's not worth it.

Also, I refuse to believe that the summon drops in any version of FFIV exist. I've played through that game a dozen times and have never seen one whether I was intentionally farming for it or not :colbert:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

RentCavalier posted:

Best Final Fantasy battle theme, post it now go go go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-Lhkm93pI

Ya'll know it's true.

Close but it's no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2vEakoOIdU

Also as embarrassing as pretty much everything about this video is, this cover is amazing (not embedding because one embedded video per post is enough).

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 24, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Camel Pimp posted:

I've done runs of FF2 where I specifically avoided Toad and all insta-death spells, Berserk/Haste, shields, and basically everything that breaks the game's difficulty in two.

How on earth can you beat FF2 without shields? The mechanics are such that without dodging hits you can't gain AGI, right?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Well, technically, SaGa 1 was released in the US under the FF imprint. So there's at least one 'Final Fantasy' game that was anti-religion.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I will defend the GB SaGa games to the death; they were my first real exposure to JRPGs growing up and I still love each and every one. There's a translation patch out (finally) for the WSC port of FFL1, if anyone's interested. I still don't know what ESP does, though.

That being said, the best SaGa game is probably The Last Remnant (on PC).

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I've always liked the concept of doing a Celes / Edgar / Setzer run of FF6, but the execution must be dreadful. Hope you like killing dinosaurs to level 99 with hyper-specific esper equips!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

quote:

Circle of Mana

Mana franchise is one of my all-time favorites, but I can't even summon up the energy to be disappointed in this. Is this what Sonic fans feel like?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Stupid Dimensions question: Does your character order affect enemy targeting distribution, like it did in FFI? At the game outset I got the impression that it might, but now I'm sick of switching whoever is tanking to the front of the party.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Even now, Xenoblade, widely considered one of the best JRPGs of its generation, was a graphical minor miracle on the Wii. A huge, detailed, mostly seamless world with well-designed and executed monsters, vibrant use of color, and visibly distinct characters is an accomplishment for any game, but to have done so in 480p on an underpowered console with the game still looking great is incredible. Not to mention the emulated, upscaled Xenoblade screenshots in the Dolphin thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I thought that the Dimensions character sprites looked 1000x better actually on my phone than on any screenshot or video of them I saw online.

No idea why that might be the case, though.