Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Sounds about right! No, seriously, you think Earthbound wasn't self-aware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Momomo posted:

Xenogears didn't look very self-aware. If anything, it's a poster child for old school RPGs that take themselves way too seriously.

drat right. Except for the man! Of the sea! bits.

EDIT: I would buy and love Gilgamesh the game.

EDIT 2: I think we are in full agreement, Rape Jake. I like games with insane plots that try and make them work, and only partially succeed through localization obscurity.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 3, 2012

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Idioteque Dance posted:

Oh man. Those vocals are horrendous. :wtc:

It's kinda funny how cheesy and bad the vocals are, but this song would be legit awesome for boss music if it were instrumental.

Speaking of actually good JRPGs, I played through Xenoblade and loved the poo poo out of it, better than most FF games honestly. How does it compare to Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon?

It's a lot better. I have Lost Odyssey and it's kind of a chore to play in comparison.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Polite Tim posted:

as much as I enjoy the later Final Fantasy games, I think 9 was the last truly great game in the series.

People said that about 6. They either do or will say that about 12. Every game is the worst game in the series.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nene. posted:

FF6 is really overrated though for sure.

Yeah, some people think it's even better than 7. Psh, as if.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

I have no loving clue what is going in this thread anymore or even what game you guys are talking about. I'm assuming it's Earthbound, and that game sucks, but I don't know anymore.

There is a cult in Earthbound, but you bust their leader's skull in with a baseball bat. Also: how the gently caress does anyone hate Earthbound?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

Earthbound seemed like it placed a little too much emphasis on being weird and whimsical than actually a good rpg.

I found Mother 3 to be everything Earthbound wasn't: a legitimately great rpg, with an interesting world, brimming with charm, but also with the mechanics and depth to back it up.

Mother 3 was way too pretentious for my taste. I found Earthbound to be a great RPG, though, but I have more tolerance for old-school mechanics (it's meant to be a throwback to Dragon Quest).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
That's pretentious, to me. You can't tailor a story around names you personally know, and any game where I can't do silly poo poo like make a monk and name him Fister or generate the line "Pokey, you don't like pussy, do you? TOO BAD!!" just isn't as fun to me.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I get you. I just don't think it works in a game with a clear story to tell, like Mother 3. Contrasted with Final Fantasy Tactics, where your troops are a blank slate, I love naming those after people I know, gives more incentive to keep them alive and they develop little personalities. (Nick likes her the most, that's why his heal spells are more effective.) I prefer that to trying to game the zodiac system.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
A lot of my friends were rpg nerds too, we got a kick out of seeing which classes we all thought the others applied to. It wasn't about virtual hangouts, but the idea of charging onto the frontlines with those you trust. (And by the end of the game, replacing their sorry asses with Mustadio and TG Cid.)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cityinthesea posted:

Well, considering Pokey was already pretty evil at the point of the final boss of Earthbound, him being a super terrible dictator or whatever in Mother 3 made sense.

No it didn't. He was inept. That was the point. And this is a derail for another thread.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Momomo posted:

Wasn't it another victim of FF8 sucking away all the money? No matter what problems it has, it still fared way better than its brother Xenogears.

If that isn't a testament to awful taste I don't know what is. Xenogears could have been so much more.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. Xenogears was, at its heart, an homage to mecha anime with an overly complex backstory (that mostly served to reference mecha anime.)

It certainly would have been nice to have actual dungeons and poo poo, but I really don't know if a fully-budgeted Xenogears would have been much different than what we got except longer.

I like Xenogears but that is because I have a dire weakness for giant robots. As a kid it was the greatest thing ever but going back to it now, I can see how much of it is stapled together from other stuff.

Most of the game had actual dungeons, they only skipped one or two for the narrative style at the end.

Momomo posted:

Yeah, but it wasn't. I've only read lps of both, but Chrono Cross didn't have people sitting in chairs narrating for half the game.

It was a fraction of the second disk, not half the game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

That, or they were making a stand-alone title, got like 70% done and then were told it was supposed to be a Chrono Trigger sequel.

I believe this, the elements from CT never meshed well with the unique aspects of Cross' plot.

Momomo posted:

Well it was still way more than Chrono Cross did. I have zero nostalgia for either game, and it just came off as the more salvageable of the two. Xenogears clearly had a lot of thought put into the story, but I dunno. It seemed seemed like it took itself way too seriously, so it was hard to swallow lategame plot twists when it starts out with uppercutting dinosaurs in a giant robot.

Actually, it started out with Fei going insane and murdering everyone and destroying his hometown, so I really don't know where you're coming from.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

This is true. I guess they wanted a major financial success, though, so to hit it out of the park, they tossed in some tangential CT references and rebranded it CHRONO SEQUEL! They shoulda just trusted the integrity of their off-main titles and just stuck with Radical Dreamers or something. It probably wouldn't even have any of the major flaws; it's really obvious that the biggest problems with CC come from any time they try to connect it to CT.

Radical Dreamers (as a name) wouldn't have sold as well, but they really had a lot of great off-main titles at that time. Brave Fencer Musashi, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Einhander, Threads of Fate, Bushido Blade...

What happened, Squaresoft :(

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

I miss games like Musashi. psx Squaresoft was the best game company ever.

We can argue about Final Fantasies all day, but this point I believe we all agree upon. They experimented, the games were fun, the plots were loving batshit in some cases...

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

"Great" in the case of Musashi, Xeno, and Threads.
FWIW I totally agree here. Finished and greatly enjoyed all three. Threads of Fate set itself up perfectly for a sequel that never came.
:negative:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tourettes Echinda posted:

The world needs more new tactics games.

And a real sequel to the first FFT. I liked Advance 2, but it just wasn't the same.

Chalk me up as another who strongly prefers 7's soundtrack to 9's. 9 had some great music, but as a whole, 7 was way more memorable.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

+1 from me, 7's soundtrack sticks in your head like crazy.

I find that as the series goes on, the music gets less and less memorable. I don't think that's because it's any worse, I just think that it's getting more complex and that doesn't stick in my head as well as the simple melodies of old.

... though the best song in the entire series is in 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfu0XBf8kmk

That song got me interested me in the game. Ten hours later... not so much.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I definitely prefer 9's music to 10, so much elevator music. 12 is guilty of that too, but I remember the Rabanastre lowtown music reminding me of a Mana game.

Some of the best Star Ocean music is in 2. It's no coincidence that's the last good Star Ocean game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

And 13 continues the trend in the most literal way possible. Wow. Even 11 had awesome music in comparison.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I say just play on PS2, I recently played it that way without a problem. Still the best mainline Final Fantasy. (Don't listen to anyone who posts after me, they're wrong.)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Wendell posted:

Final Fantasy 7 is a fantastic game. Now what, smart guy??

Okay you can listen to this one. (I guess I should have been more clear, that people will spew hatred for 7 and they should be ignored.)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Momomo posted:

Pokemon Black and White :colbert:

I liked that soundtrack, but it's not nearly as memorable as FFVI. Uematsu has a talent for crafting songs that won't leave your head. Zozo. You're welcome.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

toxicsunset posted:

They need to make another Tactics. Tactics was and is my favorite videogame of all time. Can't even tell you why, it just is. FFTA, A2 paled in comparison.

I'm also one of those people who prefer the original translation. "Blame yourself. Or god." was loving epic when I was like 11 :colbert:

It is epic, and I missed the line dearly when I first played War of the Lions, but now, having started it up again (thanks thread), I really like his new line. "Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I." Knowing the plot of the game, and with how well he delivers it, made it resonate much more deeply.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

Uh, he's talking about the final dungeon which for some weird reason that I can neither figure out nor argue with is just a huge Castlevania homage in like every possible way, so yeah?

It really, really isn't. You either need to play more Castlevania or... I don't know what, but they really aren't that alike. And this is someone who loved Ultimecia's Castle and has played through probably half a dozen CV titles. (2D only.)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
St. Jesus? I don't mind thinly-veiled allegories, personally.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Trasson posted:

No, I'm talking about the very minor thing of character's having last names that are never actually mentioned or matter to the story. Like, Cloud's last name is never anything but another piece of decoration for his character design. I know it's a complete JRPG cliche, it's just something I'd noticed is endemic to Final Fantasy.

Japan? They love little flavor bits like that. The FF VII manual even lists each character's blood type.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

My real name's Zack, and boy let me tell ya, when I renamed Squall it made FF6 really funny!

:psyduck:

WeaponBoy posted:

You know that's not just a fluff thing, right? Blood types in Japanese culture. It's like a horoscope.

I'm aware of that, and... it's fluff. If Shulk from Xenoblade is an Aquarius, that still doesn't tell me anything about Shulk because blood types and astrological signs are fluff.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
That's basically it. There wasn't a ton to do in the game, but once you hit later levels, there was NOTHING to do. That's the opposite of every mmo I can think of. Usually you tolerate the grind for the fun poo poo endgame players get access to.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

What's the good points of it? How would it compare to games like Guild Wars, WoW, etc.? What're draws of the system?

No classes - your equipment determines what you can do.

It's prettier than FFXI.

That's all I can think of. 2.0 is supposedly a different beast entirely, and one I know nothing about.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Not really. Tanks suck for 90+ content, but that's just the recent additions to the game. And you can feasibly solo now, it's slower than the groups, but any class can do it. They added a lot of new systems that work the same solo or in a group, from exp to gear creation, and the game encourages teaming up to accomplish goals. It's a vast improvement and I enjoyed it greatly before I quit.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Subligar dancing with a pumpkin head is the only way to live. I've been in a number of endgame shells, but the most fun I've had was pissing off those anal players with way too many fireworks and dance emotes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I loved SATA after nailing my first skillchain with it, but it was frustrating. Especially since you had to educate every party you joined on how basic mechanics of the game worked.

Ended up being more fun at the end, catching summoners or other mages who didn't have the good sense to avoid the backside of mobs.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Every tank I partied with loving loved me as Thief.

Then I leveled Paladin and stopped inviting them, because holy poo poo so many were awful.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Welcome to SA where everyone likes to use :smug: and don't get tired of it, EVER.

Anyways, I've been playing War of the Lions and it seems like grinding is sort of a necessity in the game. I got kicked hard when I first went into Doter with Black Mages dealing out 30s in damage to me and after grinding some JP for a Black Mage, two Knights and my archer I came back and still almost lost my archer to them. Although my first few tries at Doter were before I discovered how to actually work job advancing and ability learning so that would be why.

My only problem with the game so far is it feels kind of slow, I put the speed patch on, but it still feels a bit slow overall.

You're in for a treat, I wish I could play this for the first time again. Anyway, it is a bit slow. It's tactical. :downs: You can use this to your advantage.

Dorter is the game's first difficulty hump, and it's not easy for a newcomer. If you ever get REALLY stuck, get some JP on Chemist and give everyone Auto-Potion. I don't recommend it if you like any sort of challenge, though. Plus there are way more fun reaction abilities, like Monk has (old translation name) Hamedo. Cancels the enemy's attack and you hit them instead.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

Just as a warning, magic is much harder to tactically use in battle than physical attacks. Mainly because magic has a delayed reaction, whereas physical is instantaneous. So the computer, being smarter than us humans, is really good at moving the characters out of spellrange. You have to think 3 steps ahead to focus on magic in FFT. Also, white magic is terrible compared to chemists for healing.

And magic doesn't work on the atheists ( :smug: ) of FFT, so it's never a guaranteed killstrike.

That's the tradeoff for the wider affect range. Higher level magic spells go far beyond the cross-shaped pattern and can wipe out tons of bodies in one shot.

You can work around the delay, though. When you're hovering over an action, press right on the dpad. You'll see a list of who's about to get their turn, and where your attack falls in line with that. Just make sure they aren't going to move out of range and BLAMMO. Otherwise, the AI has a nasty habit of making sure the spell you targeted them with will hit as many of your party members as possible.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Loving Life Partner posted:

Am I the only one that lost all will to play FF4 after Cecil turns into a purple haired fairy? :ninja:

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah because most people aren't homophobic douchebags.

Nope! I wanted to play a game starring a Dark Knight, dammit. I thought that was cool. I was a kid renting SNES carts from the local video store, I didn't think he turned into a fairy or anything like that, I just thought Dark Knight > Paladin.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

This one has always been my favorite remix of a FF song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hcfuRiPm_s

Are you familiar with housethegrate? Very high quality remixes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq6L_pFupEA Ignore the OCR stuff, this kicks rear end and is not what you'd expect from the site. Live guitar playing, for one.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

No, I'm not. I just figured most of OCR was horrible since I could count on 1 hand the number of remixes by them I actually like. Good to know there are some remixers there that are high quality.

I actually have no idea who did the VI remix I linked above. :iiam:

It's a dark path to go down, fraught with peril and bad trance covers. The Dwelling of Duels community used to put out amazing covers back when I followed it in 05-07. House's brother Ashane has some good tracks (Red Cap Assault), goat is the man for Castlevania music, and... I could go on all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Eight for PS2 and Nine for DS. The other DS games are remakes of older ones and play like it, but I enjoyed them.