Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

1stGear posted:

Please ignore that not all women like those colors and that most berries are dark-colored.
You should also ignore that pink, as part of the red colors, was seen as a strong male color about a hundred years ago. There's simply no part of the argument that holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Groghammer posted:

The shape of the chair and the blood smear in the second one makes it look like a Game of Thrones reference (the blood smear referring to the show's extreme level of violence), though the emote title ("asoiaf") is the acronym for the similar fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire. That could be intentionally misleading, though.
Seems simple enough. The 'A Song of Ice and Fire' books were adapted into the 'Game of Thrones' TV series.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

The opposite of :allears:
A smiley for when you sarcastically pretend like you don't care about what someone is saying seems rather specific, but I guess that's true for many smilies.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Oh, trust me, I'm not one to downplay the holocaust, I just mean that there's thousands of years of preceding cultural prominence present in the cultural context of that part of the world prior to that which is absent from the Western perspective. We inevitably encounter the Nazi usage first and learn about the origin of the shape later, as essentially a footnote; for people educated in that culture it's the reverse, so it's just kind of silly to even conceptualize it as something that could or would be phased out the way the post I quoted seemed to suggest. I mean, it's not like anyone's getting confused; the two connotations are... pretty discernible extremes :v:
Yeah. I mean, in an alternate reality where the Japanese used a symbol very similar to the Christian cross while carrying out their crimes in Asia, I don't see Christians in the West dropping the symbol because of its association with genocidal warmongers. And the swastika as a religious symbol is way way older than the Christian cross, as old or older than civilization itself.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Guess where this is:

It's the big entrance gate of the Carlsberg brewery, in Copenhagen. It's been there for ages and it doesn't seem like they're going to destroy that gate any time soon.
To add a bit of context, the swastika was the logo of Carlsberg back in the day, stretching back to before Hitler had even been born. It was actually a pretty popular symbol in the West during the late 19th/early 20th century, which is probably part of the reason the Nazis adopted it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Rubbing your taint all over a child is a non-starter. Can’t they just take swabs from the motheres vagina instead?
That is literally what they do now, since that's where non-Cesarian babies get their bacteria from.