Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

steinrokkan posted:

That's a lot of words to say "LP is a pseudohobby".

I wasn't attempting to say that, but thanks for driving my point home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

GNU Order posted:

Trad Games prob won't be interested. If you're interested in just pointing the camera and doing a livestream once a week, you could always post in the Streaming Thread. If you'd like to put in a bit of effort (possibly editing boring parts, at the very least doing more than a Twitch VoD linkdump) you could totally make a thread work. There have been D&D threads before, though nobody's ever done one with live cameras

Though, I'm not sure how interested people will be just jumping into your game, especially if there's a lot of lore and crap that would make sense if you were there from the first session
I actually remember there was a thread in LP's a while ago that was like this (or at least seemed like a similar idea), where people were filming their DnD campaigns...and it just died in the water and ended up being closed by a mod because no one was talking in it.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I definitely remember a group doing it in one of the old Stream threads, streaming and playing a campaign weekly, and afaik they just stopped

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Hmmm ok. Thanks for the ideas. I'll see if I can get it recorded, and if so I'll whip up a thread. It will be awkward as we're a few weeks in, but I figure with dense enough background information people can jump in if they want? And this'll set the ground work for the next campaign as well.

If I can't wrangle out the recordings I'll just blast it out over that streaming thread every week.

I'm pretty sure we can maintain momentum as we've been meeting pretty religiously for the past two years because we're
losers very enthusiastic. :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Big Scary Owl posted:

Man I need to see that. Is the thread archived? I can't find it.

The first Blasting Zone thread was gassed when the archives went down, so it's technically not gassed anymore if you try searching for it. Also, about half the posts were lost, including the several pages worth of probations and some of the funny gifs. So honestly, what's left isn't as bad as what people remember.

It's here, though, if you're interested. I felt there was some interesting stuff: The Let's Play Blasting Zone

Here's its spiritual successor, which was gassed: The LP Shitpost Zone

Aaaand, here's the Imp Zone attempt, which was also gassed: The LP blasting z0N3

I feel it could work, in theory, but it hasn't so far, so a new attempt would have to be more strictly regulated until it could find its own feet.

EDIT:

:patriot:

Sally fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Man, how long has it been since the one guy showed up who said that in all seriousness?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485255&userid=203333

"Jul 2013"

Looking at the Rap Sheet is pretty funny too:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=203333

EDIT: fixed post--I had the ban date, not the first post date.

Sally fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 20, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Before - After

Seriously, Geop, don't bring back the Blast Zone, ever.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I don't know how great it is to totally eliminate generalized LP discussion. However, putting it inside a thread called the Shitposting Station may have driven the tone a certain way. These are my two cents, delivered with peace and love.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I merrily await the return of the Blasting Zone.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Putty posted:

I merrily await the return of the Blasting Zone.

There goes my credibility!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Reinhold I don't think you know the true meaning of "peace and love". It's let's players of all kinds in tranquil harmony in a subforum about talking over videogames.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Boru posted:

Hmmm ok. Thanks for the ideas. I'll see if I can get it recorded, and if so I'll whip up a thread. It will be awkward as we're a few weeks in, but I figure with dense enough background information people can jump in if they want? And this'll set the ground work for the next campaign as well.

If I can't wrangle out the recordings I'll just blast it out over that streaming thread every week.

I'm pretty sure we can maintain momentum as we've been meeting pretty religiously for the past two years because we're
losers very enthusiastic. :v:

Ironicus and friends did/doing a D&D 4E LP so you can see what they did.
Thread 1, Thread 2

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

quote:

Propsective Title: Injustice: LP’s Among us
(Feel free to suggest a better title)

So what am I getting into this time?
Glad you asked. Simply put this is a fighting game that has been created by the same guys that brought you Mortal Kombat bone breaker edition. It even has a companion comic series that serves as the game’s prequel.

Is this going to be anything like the other DC fighting game with Superman and Batman?
Oh. You mean Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. No, this game is better than that. Nether Realm studios is pretty good at making fighting games.

So what’s your plan then?
Easy enough. I plan to at least play through story mode. This is probably one of the few fighting games that I have played where I can make it all the way through. The story mode is one of the game’s strongest points. I don’t plan to 100% this because that isn’t possible for me but I do plan to show off what DLC this game has. Which just happens to be extra characters. The idea with them is to show off their various moves and then their super moves if possible. The DLC characters are not in the main game.

From there I plan to have at least a little fun with Online Multiplayer. If there is interest, I plan to schedule a time where a bunch of goons can get together and fight it out in game. Usually this will fall on a Saturday but I’ll post when beforehand the times. Mostly because I have to be able to make sure that Work won’t get in the way.

What’s going to happen if you have to go away for a while like last time?
Good Question. This time out I have a plan. Instead of just shutting the thread down like before I’m going to setup an AutoPilot LP. Basically I’ll already have another game ready to go that will release updates automatically and I’m going to have one of my friends post the video link in the thread in my stead. It won’t be of the main game but a different game which I hope will be short enough to be finished by the time I get back. I just don’t know what it is yet.

Spoiler Policy
Story wise if it hasn’t happened yet don’t talk about it.

Like the last game I would like to encourage Comic chat within reason. Keep it civil.

With that said. Let’s Start this thing.

VIDEOS:
Test Video

Just checking to see if everything is good or if I need to adjust anything such as commentary. I'm also open to suggestions on the OP itself.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

steinrokkan posted:

Not the FYAD shitposters :ohdear:

I think that may have been the last post in that thread.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Wait, seriously? They did the Bob Saget/Glenn Beck thing five years after it was relevant?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

toddy. posted:

I think that may have been the last post in that thread.

I had no idea Gilbert Gottfried was a FYAD poster, the conspiracy goes far further than I ever expected!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

The first Blasting Zone thread was gassed when the archives went down, so it's technically not gassed anymore if you try searching for it. Also, about half the posts were lost, including the several pages worth of probations and some of the funny gifs. So honestly, what's left isn't as bad as what people remember.

It's here, though, if you're interested. I felt there was some interesting stuff: The Let's Play Blasting Zone

Here's its spiritual successor, which was gassed: The LP Shitpost Zone

Aaaand, here's the Imp Zone attempt, which was also gassed: The LP blasting z0N3

I feel it could work, in theory, but it hasn't so far, so a new attempt would have to be more strictly regulated until it could find its own feet.

EDIT:

:patriot:
B-Sal, I like you, but this idea will never work or be good. I'm so sorry. Please don't give up on your Chronus Target LP.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FactsAreUseless posted:

B-Sal, I like you, but this idea will never work or be good. I'm so sorry. Please don't give up on your Chronus Target LP.

you are probably right

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
So I was browsing the world of minecraft let's plays for some riff material. I found a youtube channel that was uploading 100 videos a day with the average viewcount of 100 per video, some videos having few views after being uploaded weeks ago. yes they also sucked

5 days later, I see one of the videos I looked at from them in my recommended channel feed and now that one video has 2.8 million views. Their other videos also all gained 1.5 million per. They also have gained 3 million subscribers and now I don't know if it was a youtube glitch or the Illuminati. Tune in for my Minecraft let's play starting next week.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Putty, please don't break Minecraft.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Putty posted:

So I was browsing the world of minecraft let's plays for some riff material. I found a youtube channel that was uploading 100 videos a day with the average viewcount of 100 per video, some videos having few views after being uploaded weeks ago. yes they also sucked

5 days later, I see one of the videos I looked at from them in my recommended channel feed and now that one video has 2.8 million views. Their other videos also all gained 1.5 million per. They also have gained 3 million subscribers and now I don't know if it was a youtube glitch or the Illuminati. Tune in for my Minecraft let's play starting next week.

It's probably all your fault.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Quantum Leaping through the Fourth Wall: Let's Play CONSORTIUM!

What is this?

CONSORTIUM (yes, allcaps), is the first of a planned ARPG trilogy from new developer Interdimensional Games. It was released for the PC in January 2014, after a second Kickstarter attempt bore fruit. You play a video game via a time-travelling satellite that sends you into the future.

These days it's pretty fashionable to have branching plotlines and so forth. 'You choices matter!' is a common refrain. On one end you have Telltale games like The Walking Dead where this is mostly an illusion, in the middle you've got Bioware games like Mass Effect, and out on the far edge of reason you have CONSORTIUM. This thing is a web. It's like Deux Ex meets the Stanley Parable.

It received broadly positive reviews from the usual indie hipster scum crowd (obviously why I'm playing it). Rock Paper Shotgun said (warning: mild spoilers) it “offers a solid sample of what we’ve been saying games have the potential to do for a generation”, which as far as I can tell is to be a little more Wilfred Owen and a little less Spec Ops: the Line.

What do you think you're doing?

A single playthrough of Consortium is relatively short, and mostly hinges on your choices at key stages. The thing is that there's quite a lot of these and if we took votes on them all we'd be watching two minute videos from now to 2042. In advance of particularly big questions, though, I'll throw the thread open to voting. What this means is that if I decide to do additional playthroughs, I'll take the thread's advice on how to approach that playthrough prior to starting it.

There's a lot of dialogue in this game, and I'll try to keep my roguish voice from talking all over it, but we'll have subtitles and a no-commentary version to complement this.

Also, no spoilers, please. At all. This is a slow burn. You're thrown in with no tutorial or 'by the way this is how things work' primer and you're expected to just work it out as you go along. I've only done one full playthrough myself (which I did terribly and missed a lot of material), so as soon as we start branching I will be as blind as you are. This being said, feel free to speculate as we learn more and find more questions to ponder. Rest assured there will be questions: I still have no idea what's going on.

Videos

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Alas, the video is private.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

anilEhilated posted:

Alas, the video is private.

Would you believe I'm not very good at this

Should be fixed now at any rate, sorry about that.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Mega64 posted:

It's probably all your fault.

i didn't know goon BMI was proportionate to views. Oh Dear.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Obliterati posted:

Quantum Leaping through the Fourth Wall: Let's Play CONSORTIUM!

This looks very interesting! Obviously I have no idea what lines are important and what lines are "this is meaningless filler because we need a response to bring us back into the conversation tree" , but you do talk over quite a few character lines. The subtitles make it possible to pay attention to both, though I don't like the way the lines fade out as they're being said. Can you turn that off, so that people who want to both listen to your commentary and get the gist of what characters are saying can do that?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

pun pundit posted:

This looks very interesting! Obviously I have no idea what lines are important and what lines are "this is meaningless filler because we need a response to bring us back into the conversation tree" , but you do talk over quite a few character lines. The subtitles make it possible to pay attention to both, though I don't like the way the lines fade out as they're being said. Can you turn that off, so that people who want to both listen to your commentary and get the gist of what characters are saying can do that?

I'd be down for sorting this, but can you clarify what you mean? I'm quite new to the technical end of things so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
Hell Yeah! Let's play... well... Hell Yeah!

Hell Yeah! is an action platformer released in 2012 by Arkedo Studios and published by Sega. The game itself is very stylistic, with a very good art direction and quite fun gameplay. Unfortunately it suffers from a few shortcomings which meant that Hell Yeah was the last game Arkedo Studios ever made.

Because it is such a divisive game, reviews range from a score of 2 - 10. Many criticize the game's floaty and poor controls, while others knock its poor attempts at humor. Despite all this I think it's still a game that needs to be shown off, with it's killer soundtrack, awesome visuals, and unique gameplay.

I'll be running through the whole game, but not really trying to attempt to get every coin or anything along the way. I want to show off all the monster bios and secrets, though, and talk a little bit more on how little indie developers should interact with big game publishers.

Anyway, without further ado, Let's Play Hell Yeah!

Killrrhubarb fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 22, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Killrrhubarb posted:

Hell Yeah! is an action platformer released in 2012 by Arkedo Studios and published by Sega. The game itself is very stylistic, with a very good art direction and quite fun gameplay. Unfortunately it suffers from a few shortcomings which meant that Hell Yeah was the last game Arkedo Studios ever made.

Because it is such a divisive game, reviews range from a score of 2 - 10. Many criticize the game's floaty and poor controls, while others knock its poor attempts at humor. Despite all this I think it's still a game that needs to be shown off, with it's killer soundtrack, awesome visuals, and unique gameplay.

I'll be running through the whole game, but not really trying to attempt to get every coin or anything along the way. I want to show off all the monster bios and secrets, though, and talk a little bit more on how little indie developers should interact with big game publishers.

Just sayin, you can't timg an image link, the timg overrides the URL bit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChaosArgate posted:

Just sayin, you can't timg an image link, the timg overrides the URL bit.

Right-clicking and opening in a new tab works, so its not impossible. Still, you don't want to timg url'ed images.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Killrrhubarb, your commentary is fine, but the quality makes it almost unlistenable. Can you try re-recording with a better microphone? You sound like you're underwater... :/

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Obliterati posted:

I'd be down for sorting this, but can you clarify what you mean? I'm quite new to the technical end of things so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

When you're talking to characters, the lines of subtitle disappear one by one as they're being said. I was wondering if there's an option in the game to have the full block of subtitles stay up for the duration of that spoken line, and if you could turn it on.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Killrrhubarb posted:

Yeah, like Rush Shirt said, your audio is pretty hard to understand and should probably get fixed. I also feel the want to ask if this game doesn't support widescreen, because it seems like it should probably not be in a 4:3 resolution (though it's not really hurting the fact that it is I suppose).

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

pun pundit posted:

When you're talking to characters, the lines of subtitle disappear one by one as they're being said. I was wondering if there's an option in the game to have the full block of subtitles stay up for the duration of that spoken line, and if you could turn it on.

Ah right. There doesn't seem to be something that'd do this, so I'll just have to talk over them less.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, like Rush Shirt said, your audio is pretty hard to understand and should probably get fixed. I also feel the want to ask if this game doesn't support widescreen, because it seems like it should probably not be in a 4:3 resolution (though it's not really hurting the fact that it is I suppose).

I figured that the audio would be a problem. I have an alright mic so I'll try re-recording and see whether Noise Gate (Rather than Noise Removal) works better for me. As for the 4:3 resolution, this game has a variety of options...

So many options.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Killrrhubarb posted:

I figured that the audio would be a problem. I have an alright mic so I'll try re-recording and see whether Noise Gate (Rather than Noise Removal) works better for me. As for the 4:3 resolution, this game has a variety of options...

So many options.
Yeah, I just went and booted up the demo to see for myself. Found something pretty different:

So not sure what's going on in that regard for you?

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, I just went and booted up the demo to see for myself. Found something pretty different:

So not sure what's going on in that regard for you?
that's unusual indeed. Probably more to do with my monitor (which has a native resolution of 1024x768.... I know), rather than the game itself then. But I let Youtube do its thing on the video, and now it fits the box. Does that look and work any better?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
If your native resolution was 1024x768, that means you can never go above that. And it apparently seems to be the minimum resolution.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Killrrhubarb posted:

that's unusual indeed. Probably more to do with my monitor (which has a native resolution of 1024x768.... I know), rather than the game itself then. But I let Youtube do its thing on the video, and now it fits the box. Does that look and work any better?
Yeah, I guess it's just strange since your LP of Rocketbirds was in a widescreen format. But yeah, if that's the highest it can go for you then there's real no getting around that. I mean it does look fine otherwise from a visual standpoint (outside of the Steam pop-up, but I'm not a super stickler for that poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killrrhubarb posted:

I approve of this LP

• Locked thread