Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I feel like this is my reward for finally completing my play of Yakuza 4 since I FINALLY finished it after years, like, last week. I'm thrilled with Sony/Sega right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Crappy Jack posted:

Everybody's story gets pretty well wrapped up in 4. Like, their immediate personal crisis is solved, but they still have openings for their story to continue. Tanimura stops the bad guy, but he's still a cop. Having not played 5, for all I know the game opens with his violent murder, but I think they just didn't want to include him this time around. Which is a shame, because his combat system was the most fun once you had a chance to figure it out.

Maybe, maybe not. Hiroki Narimiya is a popular actor/idol type guy, it's entirely possible he only had a deal for one game and was just too busy to do it, too. The biggest thing I could attach him to that would be familiar to Western fans would probably be the Ace Attorney movie that Miike did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroki_Narimiya

A lot of the other guys in Yakuza (or at least in 4) are actors too, but he was probably the biggest name I could think of attached to Y4.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

5 is going to require that PSN account. No physical. Can we put YES IT'S DIGITAL ONLY in the title?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

The fact that none of my friends stopped and said "But Caitlin, this is Shenmue but with yakuza instead" pains me to this day. I am so upset I didn't start playing this until I bought Yakuza 4 in one of those buy-2-get-1-free deals at GameStop because I was in a mood for a game about yakuza. I was expecting the Japanese version of Sleeping Dogs.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

If we're talking Beat Takeshi and yakuza, I really loved Brother. :3:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

I'm pretty sure Poppo has pork buns to use as healing items during said fight. Though no real man would use weapons or items in a Yakuza final boss battle (Tanimura doesn't count because his guy cheated)

So fun story. I had read somewhere-or-other that if you had items equipped on other characters that were not the main character, they wouldn't transfer over to NG+. Since I did all kinds of side poo poo and got the best everything, I was like "oh okay I should save those". I equipped Kiryu with some items and went on my merry way, as I had only wanted to read about things like that and did not want to spoil the fight. Then I found out it was actually four bosses, and I had absolutely no healing items or anything on anyone that wasn't Kiryu, where I didn't even come close to needing them. The cutscenes ran a while so I figured I'd just give it a go - heck I finished Amon, right? - cleared the first 3 without issue, but holy poo poo Tanimura without items was some brutal poo poo. Also the original blurb I had read was clearly full of poo poo. Hooray!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

You can spot thugs in the traffic and run behind their backs, but not too close.

The reward for 100% the lockers is an item disabling random fights, but I'm not sure you can do it early, and you don't want to open one locker until Taiga's chapter. He needs some sacred tree or something to advance through his boulder-punching training.

It's sacred ash, he needs it to make a sacred pickaxe. Because.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

Eventually you get really good at spotting the random dudes in crowds who just stand there looking threatening and can either avoid them, or just pass by at a far enough distance to where they can't catch up with you at all. There are also some equippable items that decrease the amount of dudes who come after you, although that might be one of the bonus Utsonomiya items.

They're not that difficult to find for the most part. They're the ones who don't bother moving and stand in the middle of the street.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

You will play as everyone soon enough and can finish all your side story stuff then. All four unlock before the ending.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

Oh. OH.

Also, do everybody's training quests (Akiyama with the dude on the roof, Saejima with the underground tunnels, and Tanimura with the Korean girl) at some point before The Final Battle (You'll know when this is). There are three special items that are obtained. Give all three of those items to Tanimura before you cross the point of no return.

Trust me.

I did the Tanimura fight with no equipment. Whatsoever. :colbert:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

I can only imagine a gigantic full size tattoo immediately sprung itself into existence on your back upon completing this task.

I WISH. Really it ended up being the antithesis of manly in that it involved me running around in circles to try to pull individuals away from the pack to take them down. Really I just didn't want to take the time to restart and equip him with stuff and watch all the cutscenes over again after I had made it that far through everything without issue. :v:

Figured if I could beat Amon I could handle that. It was rough. I wouldn't really recommend it, I am just a stubborn sort.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah the hostess mini games suck hey whatever I'm just here to play dress-up alright?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

^^ But he didn't actually do anything? :confused:

MrLonghair posted:

Have only watched videos but going by that it all looks like Ishin - something that feels like not a PS2 game, instead something more fair that doesn't screw you over as a player and you don't have to know every negative quirk and glitch and bug and be prepared for them to happen in combat and dealing with them. No idea of bosses and enemies in 5 but if it's like Ishin then there's 99% less "OH COME ON" BS from them, no more stunlock-happy bosses or groups of thugs, when you should hit you hit, when you should miss you miss.

If the difficulty is like with Ishin, Hard means Hard in a fair and exciting adrenaline-rich way, unlike Yak4 where Hard means "EXTRA IRRITATING" :argh:

Are you one of those players who goes I TOTALLY HIT THAT BUTTON? I bet you are. :v:

Seriously though, I can't say I ever really had issues with the combat in Y3/Y4 and I'll second that it looks pretty much the same in what I've seen of Y5.

vv Gokusen was a live-action drama before it was an animated series (manga before that but neither here nor there) - it'd be pretty rad if they used some of the actors from the series for facial capture like they did in Yakuza. :3: I'd play it.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 17, 2015

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Yeah, I'm actually more familiar with the live action version, but the rear end beating was a little better in the anime video.

Yukie Nakama in a game please.

Maybe a adventure game set in the TRICK universe?

It's like a Japanese Twin Peaks but somehow stranger.

Fair! I just like the idea of those actors getting capped into a game, I think. :3: I would also play the hell out of a TRICK game. But really, you know what'd be AWESOME? Liar Game : THE GAME. Holy poo poo how rad would that be?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah I am really surprised at all of the people reporting combat issues with Y4 :confused: - I really didn't have trouble until I did the Amon fight and did the final bosses the wrong way very stubbornly.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Every time someone brings up the Tanimura fight I have flashbacks to being a total badass(idiot).

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I attribute me not buying Yakuza to being generally disdainful of reading games related press and nobody telling me this was Shenmue-but-with-yakuza. So upset it took me so long to find the series.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

PS3 only. When people were talking about PS4 games, they were talking about Persona 5.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Captain Novolin posted:

It's when you get close to an objective, I think

I think this also may be the case, also worth noting I have found people on the street to talk to around them that trigger events (like, say, the student with the quiz on the bridge)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Salsa McManus posted:

gently caress me. I was going to get his around Christmas since I bought Xenoblade two days prior to the RELEASE IS RIGHT NOW!!! announcement, I hope the servers aren't congested as hell or some rear end in a top hat DDOSes the PSN.

FWIW I have less lovely internet than that and the entire download and install took me from approximately 11PM to 2:30AM.

Static Rook posted:

So I finished all the racing missions. That storyline took a loving turn, and then it has the most Yakuza conclusion to it. Still have to finish a few taxi missions and I'll finally be ready to move on to my boy Saejima's chapter.

I'm almost done with them. I'm on the last two races (the last one I did was Wada) - how hard was the last race(s) for you/what kind of upgrades did you have on your taxi? I'm curious about how badly I'm hamstringing myself and still winning, really... I think my cab is currently Level 4 :v:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 9, 2015

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Static Rook posted:

I think for the last race I had a MAX level taxi -which is level 6 - and I used Chasis B, Semi Racing tires, and Twin Turbo boost. It's 3 laps on the advanced loop and the other racer has the most bullshit rubberbanding so make sure you have a turbo boost for the final stretch.

Oh, I thought the MAX level was higher than that, so got it - I'm still using chassis B and semi racing tires, just need the twin turbo boost really. The rubberbanding on everyone else was pretty much bullshit in the last few races so I always learned to not touch the heat action for the last stretch and also to keep a turbo boost too. I do plenty of drifting anyway because it :feelsgood:

absolutely anything posted:

I managed to beat Spangled Meteor without upgrading my taxi or even realizing upgrading your taxi was a thing. Just gotta drift, use boost wisely and save your heat actions for the final lap.

Yeah this is really solid advice that you will just need to have in general.

Static Rook posted:

It's all about the final straightaway before the finish and when to use your turbo boost, unfortunately.

new players, take this statement TO HEART.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

There was no tutorial, it's just in the controls. Like if you pause it tells ya right there.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

precision posted:

I'm just waiting for the inevitable cancellation of the localization of 0 due to poor sales of 5.

:(

Yakuza was trending on twitter for almost a full day and a half. I don't know if it's selling AMAZINGLY well, but I don't think sales are going to be bad.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

yeah drat it sure does suck that Sega doesn't bilk us for more money to play our games :confused:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I could play an entire game devoted to Haruka and her side missions. So many people with bad opinions in this thread! So many. :colbert:

vv for what it's worth I wish they had put in more songs too, but one would hope an entire game would have more of them, no?

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 13, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

The Macaroni posted:

Question about Saejima's hunting missions: After a couple of tutorials, there's a mission where you're supposed to go find an injured man and the village leader (Nakima?) on the mountain. No matter what I do, Saejima collapses in the blizzard next to the injured man. Is there a way to succeed at this, or is it a 100% fail that just leads to the other missions?
There's a pretty good Japanese TV drama about the granddaughter of a yakuza leader who decides to become a schoolteacher. Now that I think about it, it's a lot like a Kiryu side story mission.

Edit: The lead actress is Yukie Nakama, who is pretty cute but has spent most of her career in roles where she's supposed to be "ugly" or plain. Kind of like how a Western actress puts on glasses and ties her hair up in a bun, then suddenly she's the least attractive character in the universe.

Gokusen.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

No date, not up for preorder yet, only Kiryu is. Sometime this year. I already have Kiryu preordered personally... whenever it goes up I'm sure someone will post, but as for now, 2016.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

People get into fistfights with grizzly bears that are three times the size of normal humans and go "pfft, is this over yet" and I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU PEOPLE AND I NEVER WILL.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

and now we're back to people poo poo talking Haruka, GTFO

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

NEW YAKUZA 6 TRAILER

https://youtu.be/U9drC64VXoE

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

as much as I love Yakuza how the gently caress is that "part of the appeal"

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

gyrobot posted:

I mentioned earlier that Sega is focused purely on manliness. They dont want it to be like those faux girl power beatem ups that Takaki produces. See Senran Kagura and Valkyrie Drive.

Yakuza is perhaps the only game that doesnt portray Japanese culture as some chuuni fantasy

Point 1 : work on your clarity because your other post implies that it is your perspective that having women severed from the fighting adds to the "appeal" - you have not specified if this is YOUR perspective or what you believe to be a cultural perspective or even one directly from Sega.

Point 2 : Senran Kagura and Valkyrie drive are not "faux girl power" games they're pandering to perverts (I should know, I own no fewer than three versions of Senran Kagura - yes I am calling myself a pervert)

Point 3 : "perhaps the only game that doesn't portray... chuuni fantasy" what a load of crap

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

a series being made with "male players in mind" is still more than capable of having a woman punch someone :psyduck:

I'm aware of the interview, I'm aware of all of it - but that quote really doesn't mean "women can't punch things" nor is that what I infer for it, it just means "we're not targeting an international demographic and will continue development the way we have before"

historically speaking in the context of the games no, women have not hit men, but tying these two concepts together seems ridiculous

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

El Hefe posted:

where can you play ping pong?

Bath houses.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

El Hefe posted:

I went to the one in Kamurocho but they only had air hockey

Also, they removed that awkward massage parlor that was in 4 right?

Sorry, I checked (I'm at work so I just gave a quick answer) and the very specific answer is Yunosono Hot Springs.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/yakuza-4/trophy/28423-Table-Tennis-Pro.html

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

You can befriend stray cats, and then you can open a cat cafe with those stray cats. This game, it was made for me.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Don't skip 4.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

It's funny, the thread title gets older and older but it becomes more and more relevant. Bless you, Gio.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

uiruki posted:

From above!

Yes, he's one of the goons you meet in Hiroshima. He's played by Tatsuya Fujiwara.

ayyy she had a baby with the man who survived the Battle Royale, that's hard for me to argue with in terms of the Yakuza universe. but also Light Yagami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Mariko? She's with Date now, the investigator. Has been since like Y3/Y4. Giving them up would be bad news for her.

• Locked thread