Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So I picked this game up last week and honestly, I'm super impressed. It has good pacing, it never feels like you're moving too quickly or too slowly through content. It has good cutscenes that actually manage to make you feel attached to your character (though I'll admit that it probably had to do with me making my character look almost exactly like me). The game has CONSEQUENCES FOR YOUR CHOICES THAT MATTER (to a degree), especially with the forgery system (like giving a guy a forgery of a tome he got you to look for and then later on watching him come to try to aid you with said tome against a big rear end monster, but having it fizzle and making him feel like an idiot).

Then there's the actual gameplay. The exploration isn't that bad and actually rewards you for exploring all around with cool stuff. The combat itself is almost perfect, the different vocations you can be let you change up your playstyle every once in a while to help keep things fresh and actually is encouraged due to the different augments you can get from each one. Then there are the action sequences that honestly gave me an erection, I mean holy poo poo. Some of the stuff that happens is loving cool as poo poo and was very obviously lovingly crafted (like my erection).

Then when it seems like you may be getting a little tired of some of the enemies, the game throws you for a loop, I'd go into more details, but it's pretty spoilerish.

All in all this is one of the best games I have played in a while.

Now for screenshots, props to Danith and Rathat's pawns for being entertaining and giving me something to blame for my inadequacy for the last boss fight.

Griffon Rodeo (was dusk when I took this screenshot so it's a little dark, try to find all three pawns!)

Obligatory Oxen ride:

This one just looked cool, what with me smashing my hammer's hilt into the cyclops' eye.:

Also sorry if my raving about how good the game is came off as a little stilted/grammatically bizarre, insomnia sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Danith posted:

I hit 41 and released the pawns I was using for 9-10 levels. Pumpkinreaper - Jivers, hopefully you got a lot of crystals, your little guy was pretty cool. BTW, in the nexus he has a normale male voice. I was initially disappointed when I first talked to him but as soon as he talked outside of the nexus I loved it.

Umm, healer pawn dude (I can't recall the name :( ) it healed pretty well. It did have a tendency to cast cold enchant way too much though :)

edit - Jivers is a sneaky fella. I kept trying to pick him up and throw him but as soon as I got close he would step away :(

Haha, it's probably because I tend to use him to test whether or not a fall will be fatal to me, so now he avoids intimate contact altogether. Also I really need to hurry up and max his warrior vocation so he can go back to being a strider.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Danith posted:

Also Pumpkinreaper, I think you broke Jivers. He refuses to use any special arrows that I give him. Would have helped a lot when fighting a griffin :)

edit2: vvvv ok then

That's strange, all I know is that today he was showing emergent intelligence today when he realized he could jump on a wall with me and farm guards at 0 risk and at just the right distance for arrows. I fed him an elixir today to make his secondary Utilitarian so he's more prone to grapple stuff now.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So I beat the game yesterday (postgame and my god. This game exceeded my expectations at every turn and STILL managed to have one of the best videogame endings that I have seen in a long time.

Now that I'm in NG+, I'm taking along a bunch of low level goon pawns for a challenge as ammunition to change things up.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I can't wait to re-create my dudes from the first one in this.

Though this time, I am going to be the creepy goblin guy Snivers and my pawn will be my old avatar (or rather my fatass put into the game)

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I woo people by giving them skulls.

It's how I stole the queen from king crazy.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
PM'd as well, going to remake Snivers when this hits since a lot of goons seemed to like him and his goblin antics.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Ramc posted:

I realized that this is the same thread from like 2 years ago and went through my post history for a walk down memory lane.

Implicate is really good.

This made me do the same and I now realize I forgot the name of my pawn and was calling him Snivers and not Jivers.

God drat I loved that little guy. Feel bad I don't have any screenshots of him though.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Captain Novolin posted:

also the parts of the plot that are really cool are literally all shoved in at the very end

To be fair, it'd kind of ruin a chunk of it if it were any earlier.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I don't watch poo poo TV shows so I wouldn't know about all that, but I do know that the only boundaries of love in Dragon's Dogma are your own imagination and how much gold you want to spend on a thousand copies of the same item.

Buffy wasn't poo poo. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Can't wait to make my fat neckbeard self in this again.

• Locked thread