Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

To be fair you're using it as Dante in MvC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just got the game and started the downloads, time to throw some pigs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This game is great. :allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh, god drat it game. The least you could do is tell me when you're going to give me quests that expire.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So I found this world map. Is that really all there is? I'm disappointed if all that greyed out area is unavailable and the first real city you get to is literally the only one that exists.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sindai posted:

It looks really small compared to Skyrim but fast travel is prohibitively expensive and quests constantly send you all over the map from the very beginning of the game, so it ends up feeling like plenty of world.

Actually that makes it feel smaller to me. When I realized that I'd just looped all the way back around to the beginning areas by exploring and saw that that I'd seen half the map right from the start the world just shrunk in my mind. The lack of fast travel seems like it was a decision meant entirely to pad the length of the game because if you could just warp everywhere at will the game would be ten hours long. It doesn't seem very open ended, it feels more like Fable in that regard. I'm disappointed in these things.

I also wish the missions were more complex than "kill rabbits" and that the story was even remotely involving. It's not as hard as I'd heard either, going out at night is not the death warrant I'd heard it was. Plus the menus are terrible beyond words. I don't regret my purchase or anything but when you look at what the game is you can see what it could have been and it's a little sad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So I was retaking the Shadowfort when the cyclops on the battlements by the two ballistae knocked two of my pawns off the building to their deaths and into a room I could not figure out how to get into. Touche, goblin hordes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There was an ox drawn cart being attacked by goblins outside Gran Soren. I kill the goblins, then the griffin comes. He steals the ox and then just leaves. :psyduck: How do I make him stick around?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So I accept the quest Duchess in Distress and it failed automatically. Anyone know what gives there? Why would the game let me do it if it's unavailable now?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I asked a few pages ago and nobody answered, but seriously does anyone know why Dutchess in Distress would fail as soon as the quest starts? The description of it sounds cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Girafro posted:

Oh yeah, you'll get summoned for sure.

But seriously, why is almost every goddamn pawn a woman? I feel kind of awkward when my MC is a grizzled old man type warrior surrounded by a bunch of teenage girls because that's all anyone makes and truthfully they've usually got a good set-up. It's just weird having this old dude surrounded by young women.

And yeah, my pawn is a woman too, but she's muscular and not really young looking like every other pawn ever is apparently and she never gets high ratings on appearance when others summon her. :smith:

What I've noticed is that most people opt for a male main character and a female pawn. I went the other way around and have this massive grizzled old man as my pawn and a woman main.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Holy poo poo that end boss fight was amazing. One of the best boss fights I've ever played.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

Oh yeah, anyone encounter the Ur-Dragon yet?

No, but I think I know where it spawns. I'm betting it's a post game only monster.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you think the game is too easy, don't worry. At the very, very end the whole game goes batshit insane and I love it.

Post dragon hellhounds are seriously tougher than chimeras. The black chimera wasn't as hard as the drake, but the goat head can heal it for a full health bar at a time. Post dragon you really need more than just fire because most of the enemies that were weak to it aren't anymore. Hellhounds (wolves), succubi (harpies). They take no damage from it and it actually strengthens the hounds. There's a golem near the midway point between the encampment and city! And then, outside of Gran Seran there's a lightning spewing wyvern and a ton of gargoyles that can petrify you. The game goes into overdrive after you kill the dragon. I can't wait to see what happened to the drake.

If the whole game was like that and the quests were all like hunting the griffon or assaulting Shadow Fort this'd be GOTY no doubt. Oh, and if the menus weren't awful. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I just found the Ur Dragon. It's in the Everfall, the door marker Lament. There's no ranking data for him right now (just beyond the arena is a plaque sayign so). Let's see how tough this guy is!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The end of this game is loving crazy and worth every penny I spent on it. Why couldn't the whole plot be like that? The entire post game was just cool and the dragon fight was amazing.

One issue, though. They couldn't get all the pawn voice actors to say "Master!" twice? Really?

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 26, 2012

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Salsa McManus posted:

In that case, I'll let the Duke have his fun.

Edit: Looks like you just get thrown in the dungeon upon leaving the tower after you get a cutscene of the Duke killing her. You then fail the quest. Guess you have to stop him.

You get more quests if you do. Just do it before you go to the Great Wall or else it will fail as soon as you accept it. :sigh:

VVVVThere are a few camps and healing springs where you're safe from harm. The camps will all have an "inn" where you can set skills, drop off/pick up equipment etc. and two have dedicated merchants and a wandering peddler.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 26, 2012

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

VDay posted:

e: Also this postgame content is loving amazing. It makes me want to beat it just to start a NG+ just to get back and do this part all over again. Does anyone know if the chambers re-populate? Seems like if they do then farming a bunch of wakestones, dumping them all into your storage so the quest doesn't complete, and then selling them would be a decent way to make money.

They do. I fought the black drake a few times for fun. But man, gently caress the magic immune beholder. I just had to twiddle my thumbs and wait for my pawns to kill it for me. The chests inside the mini dungeons do repopulate, the ones on the ledges do not. Also keep in mind that you can't remove things from the storage guy in the refugee camp. You'll have to go somewhere else if you put your wakestones in storage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Everything you own, including what you wear goes to storage. You also get to go to the character editor again and make a completely different person with your end game stats if you'd like, which I think is great. The infinite use version of the item that lets you edit you and your pawns looks also carries over as far as I can tell.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

VDay posted:

When you keep your stats do you also keep your level? Do you pick between starting a brand new character or continuing with your own basically? Also what about gold? Should I be saving up poo poo to sell next game or is it safe to sell it all now before starting a NG+?

You keep your level. When you choose to load your save after the credits roll, it will ask whether you want to go post game. Your new game character will be the default for the character creator. Gold, skills, rift crystals, everything is there. You lose nothing in the transition, but your offensive skills are unequiped. Your core skills and augments remain in place.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

VDay posted:

Aww that sucks. I wanted to start another game but play a sorcerer this time and have my pawn be a warrior, but my stats are completely lopsided already since I'm level 55 and have basically been an assassin for like 40 levels while my pawn's been a mage/sorcerer the entire time. Well gently caress. :(

e: I guess I can kind of cheat the system and make the second character on my cloud save and transfer a bunch of stuff over by hiring my own pawn, but that seems like an amount of work that even a poopsocker like me doesn't look forward to.

The game isn't more difficult on new game plus. It's the same. You can do whatever you want for a long time before it starts to matter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tactical Grace posted:

It seems like people are finishing this game awfully quickly.

After an extended period of agonising I decided to create Tarhunt the Hittite magick archer and his pawn Sigurd the massive Norse swordsman. Both of them are historical dragon slayers, brought together from different planes to slay ONE MORE WYRM. PSN: "Tactical__Grace".

I beat the game in 39 hours and 40 minutes. In three days. I didn't do poo poo all week. Don't bother with side quests (they're by and large boring and pointless) and you'll go through pretty quickly.

If you're feeling the need to breeze through the game you can always just summon my pawn, Rolf and let him do everything for you. At level 53 it'll be a long time before things that aren't the deep end of the pool and long falls will even be able to scratch him. If you like a challenge then you might want to pass on him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's in your status page. Press start. For other meaningless numbers, I think you can check your pawn's ranking by using the rift stone to search for pawns. Also, in the chamber the Ur Dragon is in there's a plaque ranking the people who have defeated the dragon. There was nobody on it as of when I played earlier today, but the dragon was almost dead. Anyone post dragon should take a swing at it! You don't need to kill it, you just need to survive until it leaves. So long as you hurt it you get something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

randombattle posted:

So is the dragon slayer actually in this?

Guts' golden arc sword/gear is but I've no mention of post that event gear. Then again I don't think anyone has dragonforged any of the berserk gear so that might lead to some surprises.

Seeing how much damage a warrior can do with just Guts' sword and the arc of loving one shot kill everything, I can hardly imagine what the dragon slayer would be like in this game.

Equipment gets even better than that stuff. My new game plus black and red sword for my pawn (I forget it's name) has 895 strength at rank two.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So I finally decided to fight the Ur Dragon. It spawned it with full health. My magic didn't even seem to be hurting it and then it fell over dead. :psyduck: Messiah trophy unlocked. Thanks, I guess?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Is it just me or are the Ur Dragon weapons really underwhelming? Or are the holy enchantments and absurd buff to magic on the Angel 's Fist enough to offset the large decrease to strength from Wounded Heart?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bear is driving! posted:

- SAVE OFTEN. Save all of the time. You will die, it will be bullshit, then you'll die again. Some things WILL one shot you. If you save all of the time, it doesn't matter. PROTIP - press START then BACK to "quicksave"

Eh, that's not true at all. I was running through as a squishy mage with no defensive or health augments and dying was never an issue. The game's not hard. Bandits carrying bows are the most dangerous thing you'll find, but they're not even in the final dungeon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

losonti tokash posted:

Capcom didn't pay for good reviews. That will basically explain why any good game doesn't get the reviews it deserves while mediocre stuff like every Bethesda game ever will get 10/10 goty forever.

As much as I love this game, it does not deserve amazing reviews. I'm not a fan of the review scale, but if I had to slap a number on it I'd call it a 7/10.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, I've never thought of that but I guess it is possible.

No, they're set. Always in the same spot and you just loot skulls and other garbage off them.

VVV You can't make special class pawns. I think your primary pawn is always red, or at least it is for me. There's an option in one of the menus (history?) that says that red is primary and the other two are support pawns but it might just be because that's what it was at the time. My main pawn has never not been red, though.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 1, 2012

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You know what the biggest problem with this game is? Aught. Stop loving saying aught. I don't mind attempts at sounding like ye olden English, but my god they really drove that word into the ground.

What Rascyc said is all pretty true. Another issue is that the world is very static. There's no real deviation. All the enemies stand in the same spots every time you pass by, every event is set in the same place with the same enemies, all the flying creatures are in set paths. The only thing in the game that doesn't feel like that is the griffin, though it's obviously on a set flight path and lands at set spots. Those graves that people were wondering about a little earlier? Yeah, those are always in the same spots. Nothing like a bloodstain from the two Souls games. There are places that they always are, and places where they are added as a part of an event but they don't pop up because somebody died. It's a neat idea, though.

As for the voice acting, some of it is good and some of it is bad. Most is just there, much like the plot until you hit the end game. The plot and especially the quests are what bring this game down. They're awful, just plain bad (note: the dragon and post dragon part of the game are amazing and the entire plot should have been like that). On a personal note, the world just feels tiny and linear and with the exception of two bandit areas there really is no difficulty in this game. I think the value of the game depends entirely upon how much you like what it does well and whether you're willing to ignore or just don't care about what it doesn't.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

What am I not getting about Catching a Thief? The thief runs just as fast as you, but turns faster so you can never catch up, is immune to damage, and flips out if you even try to get close. It's not possible to grab him either, you slip off.

e: Also it's a huge dick move having "load last checkpoint" not be "load last save". Yeah, I didn't need that last hour of play.

Old post, I know but if you accidentally do this if you quit to the main menu and load your game again you'll go back to the last save you had instead of that checkpoint. I did this once myself trying to get the Ur Dragon to spawn (I'd spent his entire alloted time looking at the room with the rankings slab) and it took me all the way back to the inn, wasting two hours of exploring the final dungeon. Just went back to the main menu and loaded up and I was back in the Ur Dragon arena.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The map's poo poo and all but it really, really doesn't help that the quest markers point you in the wrong direction in caves and dungeons. Instead of pointing to the correct exit, they point to the nearest one, so I ran smack into an ogre which managed to kill me after it died. At least I had a wakestone (gently caress that guy's kid, I'm not reloading because the game didn't recognize I killed it).

It would have only reloaded where you'd entered the quarry. :ssh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I decided to do the female bandit quests, so I tossed my main pawn off the cliff and he survived. :psyduck: Good god, Rolf. He's never actually died in my game before. He's gone down, sure, but he's never died.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I caught the elusive turkey griffin in it's natural habitat earlier today.

The design of this thing cracks me up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the Cockatrice looks pretty silly. But you will learn to hate him. Unless you've got (High) Brontide, which absolutely wrecks them.

Oh, I know. It's hard to see but one of my pawns has the two handed sword the Ur-Dragon drops and my staff there is what the Dragon gives sorcerors when you kill him. I've seen Cockatrices before, I've just never dicked around with the screenshots before and good ol' turkey griffin needs to be seen by everyone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Anyone know where to find the Hydra after it's first appearance? I know that the Archydra shows up in the Everfall. I killed that but I never found the regular Hydra again. Or do you never get to actually kill it?

Fake edit: I'm really disappointed that NG+ doesn't seem to add any new armor or weapons.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sorry, Rolf, but the ladies need some privacy. Talking to the bandit chief can be inconvenient at times. To some more than others.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Man, that's weird. I have done this three times now and my pawn never grabs him. So, the godsbane isn't necessary for the fight?

The Godsbane starts new game plus.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jimbot posted:

If they fine-tune how it works, I'd pay real money for more bosses like the Ur-Dragon. At this point it's slow going, but the idea behind the Ur-Dragon is fantastic. New, big boss that drops a whole new set of treasure.

I go out of my way not to put that armor on my pawn because 90% of the pawns I see are women in the Void armor with the g-string. It's a goddamn sight to behold to see a girl wearing something different and isn't pigeon-toed.

You really think that? Because I have the complete opposite view and want this bullshit to die an ignoble death here and now, never to return. The Ur-Dragon is a terrible fight.

VDay posted:

It cost a loving dollar dude.

None of the DLC is worth a dollar, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Ur-Dragon is a good idea on paper, but it's getting really ridiculous now. A bunch of games with community growth concepts, like say Noby Noby Boy, eventually tackle on multipliers to make it easier for the community to keep at it. If he's this bad less than 2 weeks in to whittle down, how bad is he gonna be 6 months down the line for newer players?

I like the idea of NEW boss fights, that can be cool, but the community idea just isn't working.

It's not even that, the very concept of the Ur-Dragon has never sat well with me. Just let me fight the boss, game, don't have it run away and make all my work count for nothing (well, you get something for it dying but it's still bullshit). It's not even that the dragon is hard, it's just obnoxious. And getting progressively more so by leaps and bounds, you're right on that account. It doesn't help that my class of choice (sorcerer) is effectively useless against it. That may color my opinion somewhat.

If they had to make a multiplayer gimmick fight they should have just went with this boss being legitimately multiplayer instead of this.

• Locked thread