Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Just killed an Ogre by tricking it into charging off a ledge, GOTY.

Also my tag is LordEmong if anyone wants to use my pawn I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

By any chance, were you on a giant spiral staircase?

(That ogre is a bitch)

Yep, that's the one. Took me forever to kill it, and I'm pretty sure that ledge is the only reason I managed.

Also, turns out if you wait too long, that lost and found quest expires, so look out for that.

Emong
May 31, 2011

VDay posted:

For those that are somewhat ahead: When do the stores in Gran Soren update? More specifically, when can I buy an archistaff for a sorcerer? I'm getting pretty close to switching my pawn from a mage, but I've got no weapon to give him.

There was one in the Gran Soren armory the first time I went there.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

Do Ogres have any particular weakness? They seem to be the strongest enemy I keep encountering. Tons of HP and they poo poo out damage.

Also they can drop kick you!

The best part is that if you climb on their back they just fall backwards and crush you.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Sindai posted:

Question: how do you heal your pawns with items? Selecting Use immediately uses them on yourself, and you can't select Use on an item in a pawn's inventory.

Give it to them, and they'll use it when they need to.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Tgent posted:

So this game has turned out to be pretty good? All this stuff about adventuring in a dangerous world and having to plan your trips carefully and such sounds like what I wanted from oblivion/skyrim and never got.

It's like Skyrim, if Skyrim was totally awesome.

Also, I just noticed that when you enhance your equipment it can pull items straight out of your storage, which is awesome. Also you can apparently upgrade straight to rank 3 even if you don't have the item for rank 2.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Okay, so I'm currently in a dungeon called The Watergod's Altar, and I have no idea what to do. I just killed a cyclops, and the pawns are talking about draining the water, but I don't see any way to do that.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Fizzil posted:

Don't forget to examine the corpse in the sacrificial chamber to continue the quest.

Well that would explain it. I never got a quest related to it, I just stumbled in there while looking around. I guess that's why I couldn't find any sort of key. :ms:

Also, is there any way to actually use the lightening whip spell to, you know, whip things? Or does it just trail behind me and hope it hits something?

Emong
May 31, 2011

Shardok posted:

Some normal class skills are cross-class (i.e. Fire Boon being available to both Mage and Sorcerer) too. So he might just keep those. I do believe most of the basic damage/affinity/boon spells are available as Sorcerer too.

When you change vocations you keep everything that's shared between the two regardless of whether you could normally have them at the new vocation's rank.

Sorcerer gets most of the basic mage spells, so there's not a lot of reason to not swap him over.

Emong
May 31, 2011

LibbyM posted:

How do I know what core skills are carried over when I change vocation? Are they all just carried over?

I switched from a strider to a ranger, and I still have my ability to double jump even though double jump is longer listed as a ranger skill, but some of the other core strider skills are still listed as ranger skills.

If you hit X (or whichever button does it on the PS3) on the change vocation screen you'll get a list of all the skills you'll have access to in that vocation including the ones carried over from other vocations. I don't know if that includes core skills, though.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Um, is the Fortress Besieged quest supposed to have a pair of cyclopses in the main courtyard?

Emong
May 31, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has anyone come to a point where no non-giant enemies are a threat? I'm almost there now. Do any new more dangerous variants of non-giant enemies ever show up?

Yeah, but you COULD sneak by them and open the gate so your allies come in to help. Also there's a third one up in the tower

Ended up just murdering the hell out of them. I don't trust NPCs not to get horribly slaughtered.

Also, do the items from the DLC quests actually do anything? They've just been sitting in storage for forever. And how the hell do you make forgeries of things?

Emong
May 31, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

So is there a way for Mystic Knights to get magic for their sword skills because I'd like to do awesome things like swing swords and make shockwaves. :downs:

Magick Archers get some magic-y dagger skills, so maybe?

Emong
May 31, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

Yep! :) Although fun fact, the parapets before you go into the courtyard hold a ballista, and you can cheese them out from there.

Those actually ended up getting smashed in a fight with some goblins before I got a chance to use them. :v:

Emong
May 31, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Yes. So far I've mostly found arrows and a few throwing items which I can only assume are bombs of some sort when I open chests. Been selling those for spare cash. Haven't actually found anything of use to me in a chest so far, which is disappointing to say the least.

Pretty much all the cool stuff comes from the dungeons that you get quests to go into.

Emong
May 31, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

drat, I was doing that grimoire the thieves have quest and after I saved some guy one of my pawns had a red talk bubble so I talked to her and she said something about a hammer being in a cave or something. Then we got into a fight and the advice got lost in the history. Anyone know what she's talking about?

The Iron Hammer, or something like that, is just what the group of thieves calls themselves.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Reginald Fritz posted:

I've been playing this game in between work and errands and man is this a blast to play. Running as a strider and planning on going to magic archer later down the road but i've been using daggers mostly outside of the boss fights so would assassin be a better choice?

And if anyone wants a sub-par mage/healer add CromisMildllyMad on 360.

Backfire is the best magic archer skill and it's for daggers, so just keep doing what you're doing.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Pikey posted:

On the way to the goblin infestation the the keep on the west side of the map, are you supposed to run into a griffon? Just as I left the main city a guard announced a supply caravan was arriving and was being attacked by goblins. About 2 minutes into the fight a loving griffon swoops down for a pass or two, the just peaces out and flies away. Either this game is brilliant at world building, or the developers are terrible at placing triggers in the game.

That's just a thing that happens. I think if you can do enough damage the griffin will stick around for a fight.

Unrelatedly, I found out that you can click in the left stick the switch to manual aim mode for spells.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

I have no idea what to do with my character :( I switched to Magick Archer after 25 levels (and max vocation ranks) of being a sword and board Assassin; I like the magic bow skills a lot but my damage is just so piddly, even with the +magic fire knives. Should I just tough it out and hope I become effective later, or just switch to magic knight/continue as assassin?
On a different note, if anybody needs a warrior, my BFF warrior Oszais is level 37 and awesome.

Part of the problem is probably that you're switching to a magic class after 25 levels of classes that don't raise magic.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Ledneh posted:

I was reading the (extremely excellent!) OP to try to decide for the last time if I should go buy this, and

:stare: did that guy just light himself on fire then climb on the back of that chimera thing to do damage, that is black101 as hell :stare:

Magick Archer is basically the best class. (I am kind of sad that that is a dagger skill when I'm focused on staves, though.)

Emong
May 31, 2011

Shalinor posted:

Is Staves viable, then? I went Magick Archer from Strider, and I'm almost thinking of going back to daggers again. I end up just using all the cool lock-on shots, because the magic is short range and useless.

Works well enough for me. I just lightening whip the poo poo out of anything that gets too close.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Shalinor posted:

Correction. I just needed to apply shock and awe to the bandits in the Grimoire quest.

i ran in, pissed them off, and got the bandit leader REALLY pissed at me, drew him away, my strider stunned him, I picked him up... and then I pitched him over the battlements.

Gravity fixes everything in this game.

I just walked past the non-hostile bandits, climbed the tower, grabbed the book, and then jumped down the cliffside.

A lot less fuss.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Scott Bakula posted:

Has anyone been playing magic archer? Is it fun? I'm so lost as to what I should go for. It certainly sounds right for me. Do you buff your daggers like mages/sorcerers can? Do you still need to aim or is it locked on?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to know before spending the discipline points to unlock the class since I've already unlocked the assassin

I'm enjoying it. You get a few magic-y dagger skills, but no enchantment spells. Your arrows home in a little and you can buy a core skill to improve their homing.

You get all sorts of fun arrow skills like hunter arrows that can lock on the 10 different enemies at once (or ten different parts of a big monster), sixfold shot, exploding arrows, arrows that ricochet off the walls and get stronger with each bounce.

It's pretty sweet, is what I'm saying.

EDIT: Also you can be the human torch. That's cool too.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Scott Bakula posted:

Do you recommend using daggers or a staff as the main weapon or putting points into skills for both? I'd prefer to keep using daggers like my strider

I'd just stick with the daggers, switching between the two is a bit of a hassle and it takes a while to unlock the more useful spells as a magick archer (High Bromide :swoon:)

Emong
May 31, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

So I'm considering getting the DLC for more quests (even though I pretty much already have plenty) I was wondering if anyone who has can talk a bit about how the quests and how their setup for level ranges and what not? (I'm level 26 if that matters).

I've done 6 of them and they've all been "Go to a place, find a thing on the roof, get EXP."

Emong
May 31, 2011

So, am I the only one that got creeped the gently caress out by the catacomb? Because hearing the zombies talking freaked me out a bit.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Sindai posted:

2) Is it possible to cast the elemental buff spells on yourself when you're a mage? It'd be nice to be able to do big fire damage when I run out of stamina.

You can, but getting the aim right is really fiddly.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Funkmaster General posted:

I wonder how other people handle pawns. I've been keeping them until they are far enough below me that it's a burden, then checking if they are leveled up, release them and rehire them if they're closer to my level again.

Do other people just go on a couple quests and dump them for fresh meat or something? Most of my returns have been for small amounts if crystals and I don't see any repeat rents, but consistently over 3 stars in battle and usefulness.

I tend to hire out pawns 10 or so levels higher than me, and replace them once I meet their level or they die.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Flame112 posted:

So does the Magick Archer's Three/Sixfold Shot skill do ice damage? Because it never seems to apply fire when I'm buffed and it totally wrecks saurians even when I am not buffed (I heard they were weak to ice). Also I cannot wait to set myself on fire.

For the Magick Archer, would it be useful to get the increased knockdown chance augment from the Sorcerer vocation?

Yep, all of their skills have a built in element. I've had sixfold shot freeze a few enemies solid.

Emong
May 31, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I changed my sorcerer to a magic archer, it's nice to be able to actually deal with monsters that are far away but I really miss making tornadoes and meteor showers. I changed at rank 8 though and now I'm wondering if rank 9 has augments useful to a magic archer or is it just high versions of spells I can't use anymore?

There's a cast time reducing augment, but I don't know if it affects magick bow skills.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Test-0 posted:

So, uh, I might have over done it in the Griffin quest... When I lured it in to land in the spot you give it a goblin snack, I proceeded to alpha strike it so heavily with a double Arc of Might from both me and my pawn that it was completely stun locked and what followed was like dropping a piano on a pigeon. Several flaming pianos. I think I've seen the same quest done by others and it was meant to fly away and lead you to some ruins somewhere where you have an epic showdown. That, uh, didn't happen. It's kinda dead. A lot.

Did I just destroy my chances at getting into that place, or can I just wander in whenever I feel like it?

You can still go there, but you might not be able to get in to some of the rooms. I'm not really sure what the game does in that case.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Think I'm going to restart, I'm in way over my head at where I am and I'm only a few hours in anyway. Give me a chance to do my pawn and I's appearance right, too.

Just so I know, how far in to the game do I have to progress before I'm given freedom to do whatever? Feels like it's either the rift stone at the encampment, or getting the delivery to gran soren done.

Once you get your main pawn, you want to run back to the first town and do as many sidequests as you can find.

Emong
May 31, 2011

TheNightReaver posted:

Such an awesome game, it truly does make you feel you are having an adventure, and poo poo can hit the fan at any minute...gotta love that. I specially love the night time, its really loving dark...I wonder why more games don't do this. Even in Skyrim, nighttime was so bright...

Having said that, is there a way to tune the pawns AI by yourself? I am at the Shadow Fortress and they all just like to stand in front of the two enemy ballistas, not giving a gently caress about my "come over" command...they just stand there and take the hits.

There's a guy standing next to the riftstone in the encampment that'll sell you potion to change your main pawn's personality. You can't really do anything else about it.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Frankosity posted:

I've just started over on a Fighter / Warrior killersaurus just to smooth out a rough start and I had a couple questions from where I'd gotten to in the game -

- Does the Fighter augment that halves stamina use from holding heavy objects / grappling apply to clambering on monsters or is that covered by the Strider augment?

- How do elementally branded weapons work? I bought an ice-enchanted longsword and noticed that the Strength was much lower than the closest pure-physical weapon but it actually gave me a bonus to Magic. Does Magic affect the elemental damage a weapon does, and does a permanently elemental weapon prevent Affinity spells for other elements being cast on it?

- Is it worth trying to wear light armour as a Warrior to keep my mobility high and rely on the Bastion augment or should I just tank it up with all the killdozer plate I can find? Not to say I can't do both with Sinew, but...

- Only the Strider augment affects climbing monsters as far as I know.

- The magic stat is basically how much damage the enchantment does. Affinity spells will overwrite that with the temporary enchantment which will probably end up doing more damage.

- The best thing would probably be to use Sinew and that one strider augment that lets you move as if you're one weight class lighter.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

So this game looks amazing, curious what the general "negatives" are for it (e.g. why it's not gotten amazing reviews like Dark Souls vs. just good reviews)? Likely grabbing it regardless but I'd like to get a feel for what the general consensus is on the games faults, and if I care.

The biggest issue for me is that the only thing approaching a fast travel system doesn't become viable at all until New Game+. And that's only really an issue because because even just traveling from town to town you end up having to fight your way through dozens and dozens on enemies.

Emong
May 31, 2011

The Mimic posted:

Wait. Do you mean I can get Dodge as a Strider and then use it as a Mystic Knight? Because that would be awesome.

You can only dodge when you're equipped with daggers, so no.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Thelonious Monk posted:

Okay so the wiki for this game isn't very good. I feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place here. I just started this game, and have two quests that I want to do right away, but obviously I can't do them at the same time. "Off with it's Head" and "Lost and Found". Do quests expire? So I can do the Head one first?

Do Lost and Found first, otherwise it'll expire.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Where or when can I get a Magick Bow that isn't the Magian Crutch? I'm getting really sick of this thing.

Edit: Also is there any way to cancel a weapon element buff or tell my casters not to use it?

I found one in Bluemoon Tower, and I've heard there's one in Soulflayer Canyon.

Emong
May 31, 2011

[Post-Game Spoilers]

Do I have to kill the duke? Or can I just sit around and let him tire himself out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

So this just happened. (Extremely minor post-game spoilers)

The lion, goat, and snake were all dead, but it was still running around with about a bar and a half of health left.

• Locked thread