Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sindai posted:

Only during the prologue really. I think unarmored cyclopses are the weakest of all big monsters.

They are. Chimeras are pretty big chumps, too. Armored cyclopes are pretty annoying, though. And then there are gorecyclopes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

So I'm finally getting into this and I basically want to break the poo poo out of the game and just have fun with it. I have no intention of doing replays though. Is Magic Archer or Mystic Knight the best way to go? I do have Dark Arisen if that makes a difference.

Mystic Knight and Magick Archer both work well with very similar builds, so why not both? You can switch vocations at any time after you reach the main city for the first time, and you'll probably be jumping between vocations a lot to gain stats and learn useful augments (passive skills). Since Mystic Knight and Magick Archer both benefit from similar stat spreads in that they both use strength and magick (with a heavier emphasis on magick), you can do both very well.

Which is great, because that's exactly what I'm doing. Both of those vocations are seriously fun and seriously powerful.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 28, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gyoru posted:

:siren: Dark Arisen is going to be free for all PS+ members next month. :siren:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/31/playstation-plus-november-preview/

On the one hand, I'm kicking myself for having bought it two weeks ago.

On the other, I'm having so much drat fun that sending Capcom $40 is really fine by me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sitchelin posted:

. . . god help you if a corrupted pawn gets to cast Maelstrom. You will not survive it, period.

This has only happened to me once.

I spend the next twenty seconds watching a tornado of pure darkness juggle my corpse before it hit the ground and I could Retry. It was probably funnier than it should have been.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Yeah I've been doing that in BBI. Just did that and killed a harpy, almost killed an ogre, then finished the ogre off by firing an explosive rivet into its chest, running up and slashing it. MA may been poo poo early on, but now it's awesome.

The last time I rolled around as a Magick Archer, I got attacked by a pair of Elder Ogres in an enclosed hallway in BBI. I unleashed the Ricochet Hunters. My friend who was watching said that he thought he just witnessed a hate crime.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Haha, just got my un-upgraded Heaven's Key and Dragon's Breath dragonforged thanks to a cursed dragon. :3:

e: Wish I had known the cursed drake with the dark bishop could dragonforce your stuff, I would have equipped another weapon.

Yeah, the dragonpope there is the most reliable way to dragonforge, aside from ol' Grigori. Later on you'll be able to fight him all you like. He's the method most people use to dragonforge gear on-demand.

(The spoiler is maybe an incredibly minor plot spoiler, as it's mostly about game mechanics, but I wanted to be safe.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Can Masterful Kill parry Death's scythe?

I tried this once. I was glad I had a Wakestone.

Any contact with Death's scythe means, well, death, I guess. Masterful Kill did get me through my first fight with a Living Armor totally unscathed, though, so it has that going for it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Assassin is one of my favorite vocations, and yeah, it's pretty good with a bow. It doesn't get a huge variety of skills, but it gets most of the important ones (Fivefold Flurry, Mighty Bend, and Pentad Shot, especially). Pick up some Blast Arrows and have a grand old time. Plus, the Assassin's dagger and sword skills are things of beauty.

Magick Archer is a very different beast. They don't use the same kinds of bows, or bow skills, as other "rogue" vocations. They use "magick bows" that fire homing bolts and their bow skills are more like spells. They're a whole hell of a lot of fun, though. They can also use their daggers to light themselves on fire, cling to enemies, and burn-stab them to death.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

People never mention the incredible holy BFG shot that magick archers get as a dagger skill. The first time I tried that it picked up a group of white saurians, carried them into a wall and ground them into paste.

I always had a tough time aiming Grand Scension, but that's probably more my fault than the skill's.

Magick Archers have such a wealth of amazing dagger skills that it's hard to know which ones to squeeze into your measly three slots. I usually can't justify dropping Hundred Kisses in case I need to climb something, and Magick Rebalancer is such a great buff that it pretty much has to stick around. That leaves one slot that I generally rotate between Immolation, Shadowshackle, and Grand Scension. I guess I could drop Hundred Kisses and stick to shooting large enemies from afar, but then I wouldn't get to light myself on fire very often.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I just realized Fournival sells infinite Periaps. This aught to make BBI a bit easier.

Last time I caught Fournival (since he's a bastard to find in post-game), I bought 999 Conqueror's and Demon's Periapts and stashed them. I burn through those things so drat quick in BBI since you can stack them four at a time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mirarant posted:

Those of you playing for the first time, take note that with the expansion you really have two very distinct games.

The main portion of the game is an open world where you can go pretty much wherever you like (which means you will run into high level enemies, save often). The expansion content however is a dungeon crawler that doesn't pull any punches. They're two very different experiences, in my opinion BBI (expansion content) is the better part.

Agreed completely. I enjoyed the Gransys portion of the game quite a bit, but Bitterblack Isle is just fantastic on every level. I do wish room layouts didn't repeat so often, but aside from that, I love pretty much everything Bitterblack stands for. That's weird, too, because the RNG mechanics of Everfall chests bothered the hell out of me, but somehow purifying Bitterblack items is less frustrating.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that the story elements in Bitterblack Isle are, I think, meaningfully better than the vast majority of the main game. It does what an expansion should, I think: takes a narrower scope (and in this case a more personal one) but expands on the world's lore in some unexpected directions.

I have no idea. The point is Bitterblack is awesome. It might bode well for Deep Down, actually, which seems to have a similar "lost in a dark, sinister labyrinth that is constantly trying to kill you in creative ways" vibe.

mirarant posted:

e: obligatory dangan, never forget

:japan:

That song seemed so out of place the first time played the vanilla version, and now I miss it so much. Somehow it's so right for Dragon's Dogma.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 6, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Enjoy. The Dark Arisen content is what happens when you polish the things Dragon's Dogma does well to a mirror shine. Even the story has a lot to look forward to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Well, Capcom is releasing Deep Down for the ps4 sometime in the future. It's a procedurally generated multiplayer(?) dungeon crawling thing that looks pretty similar to BBI in terms of execution, though it's not part of the Dragma IP.

I'm interested in how Deep Down seems to handle melee combat. The one gameplay video I've seen has the player using a spear exclusively, but it shows that you can aim with melee weapons to target different parts of enemies' bodies, which looks pretty awesome. The spear doesn't have any "combo attacks" or anything, though, so it's mostly just poking, and I'd love to see how it works with other weapon types.

Also, and this is just me caring way too much about interfaces, there wasn't any health indicator I could see (and the player didn't seem to take much damage from attacks, probably for demo purposes). I'm wondering if there'll be a health meter of some sort in the actual release, or if it's going to do one of those "damage shows on your character" things instead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Huh, only 26 people used my pawn in over a year. Guess he was pretty high level but still, I'm surprised. 591,797 rift crystals though. Blows the upgrade reward out of the water. Nobody gave me anything, either. Does that stuff not carry over from the base game?

hah, and his average review was two stars but he still has five in everything so gently caress those jerks anyway. :colbert:

Dark Arisen players can't gift anything to vanilla pawns, so that might explain why you didn't get any gifts, at least partially. And ratings can get dragged down pretty bad by players letting your pawn die (or fall of bridges, or into the brine, or anything else like that), since that automatically sends them back with 3 stars in every category and no gift.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm still hoping for a real sequel since what I've read about Deep Down hasn't really convinced me yet.

Deep Down is definitely much more reminiscent of Demon's Souls (but with randomized environments) than Dragon's Dogma, that's for sure. The gameplay looks nothing like Dragon's Dogma, for one thing, though it still looks like a game I'll enjoy. I really, really hope there'll be an actual sequel to DD down the line as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The plot of Dark Arisen makes it seem like Capcom realized what the best part of Dragon's Dogma was. It has a narrower focus and expands on the lore of the dragon and the Arisen in some interesting ways. Plus, it's willing to show a little emotion.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zurai posted:

OK, clearly the starting equipment is wholly inadequate for anything at all because these bandits are impossible for me to defeat on Easy. Where can I get upgraded gear? The only shop I found in the starting town sold herbs and the encampment only had the inn (at least that's the only thing that shows up on the map).

Bandits are hardcore in Dragon's Dogma. Until you're level 15 or 20 or so, groups of bandits will give you a serious fight, even with slightly better gear.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

So, I've fought two bosses now in Dark Arisen (the super cyclops and beholder) and I'm surprised they give you ledges in both fights to hide on. You can still be attacked by the beholder, but if you're a mage you can completely trivialize the cyclops by just chilling out above where he can hurt you. Surprised at the lack of equipment and new spells thus far, but I guess that's all in the cursed relics (or ridiculously expensive in the shop, as per usual).

Item weight continues to be the worst mechanic in video games. :sigh:

Yep, the vast majority of new equipment is in the cursed relics. Think of it like identifying items in a dungeon crawler. You might want to look up the Dragon's Dogma wiki article on purification, since the color of your Arisen and main pawn's vocation often determines what an item is once it's purified. Bitterblack Weapons and Armor will always be something useable by a vocation that shares a color with either your Arisen or main pawn's vocation, and Bitterblack Gear (rings) tend to follow the same pattern as well. "Blue" vocations like Sorcerer and Mage get archistaves or regular staves, while "yellow" vocations like Strider and Ranger get bows, daggers, longbows, and magick bows. Hybrid vocations confuse the process a bit, since, say, Magick Archer counts as both yellow and blue, so there's a chance for either, but Magick Archer gear is coded yellow in Bitterblack. That means if you're specifically looking for Magick Archer gear, you should change both your Arisen and main pawn to Strider or Ranger before purifying.

It's weird, I know.

Some of the "Bitterblack Gear" items can be rings that upgrade your skills. For example, the Staff-Bearer's Band might upgrade High Levin to Grand Levin, or a Magick Bowman's Ring can upgrade Sixfold Bolt to Ninefold Bolt. Not every skill has an upgraded version, but the ones that do are often really good. You have to wear the ring to have the upgraded version, though.

As for item weight, it's all about Sinew and forcing your pawns to carry poo poo for you. If you dismiss a hired pawn (or it dies) while it's holding some of your stuff it just gets deposited into your storage anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Aren't the items you get from cursed items set at obtaining the cursed item?

Sort of.

I'm not sure how it works for Gear, but Bitterblack Weapons and Armor usually have an array of three possible items that they're set as when you pick up the item. For example, a Bitterblack Weapon Lv.2 might have a possibility of being either Cursed Light, Sapfire Daggers, or Chilling Focus. (That's an actual array, by the way--a lot of them are on the wiki.) If you and your main pawn are in blue vocations when you purify it, you'll get Chilling Focus. If you reload your save and purify the same item as yellow vocations, you'll get Sapfire Daggers; and if you do the same as red vocations, you'll get Cursed Light.

So while its possibilities are set in stone when you pick it up, the exact item isn't decided until you purify it, and the color of your Arisen and pawn's vocations when you purify are what determine what that is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I know you can give pawns your crap, but as a mage even healing items start to bring you down pretty quick and you can't just hand those off. My inventory is generally nothing but quest items and healing stuff and I'm usually still pretty close to average weight.

You packin' Sinew? It makes a really huge difference in how much you can carry.

Also, you might be overzealous with your healing items. I like to consolidate when I can. I carry 10 Salubrious Brews or Lordly Tonics, 5 Auspicious Incenses, and 5 Sobering Wines (which I bought in bulk from Fournival) for purging really nasty debilitations if the party Mage or Sorcerer isn't on the ball. The Sobering Wines are what make a huge difference--they're not light, but they're a ton lighter than carrying cures for each individual debilitation, and they affect the whole party. If I'm playing a stamina-heavy vocation I'll throw a pile of (pretty light) Large Mushrooms in there. I also usually carry 2-3 Ferrystones, 2-3 Liftstones, an Elite Lantern, one Flask of Oil, and usually 12 to 20 Demon's Periapts. Oh, and the Wyrmking's Ring.

It all comes out to around 25-30 weight units, but with Sinew that's still in Very Light. And then I make my pawns carry all the materials, equipment, and Bitterblack cursed items we pick up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How often should I be changing vocations?

As much as you want.

To be honest, I don't think there's a single vocation that you can do 200 levels in and not end up with kind of wacked-out stats. The old vanilla method of making a high-strength character was just to level Assassin from 10-200, but you end up with low HP, defense, and magick defense if you do that, and so it's not particularly wise. The same with the min-max Sorcerer from 10-200 for any vocation that will ever touch magick.

But also, even if you spend your first 40-50 levels or so hopping between vocations to see what you enjoy the most, you can still almost always turn it around and come out with good stats once you know what you want to build towards.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is there a way to use healing items on my pawns, or make them use their own? It's bumming me out that 5 minutes into every foray they're running around at half health with seemingly nothing I can do.

Usually pawns will use healing items on their own when their HP drops below 50% or when they have a debilitation. The Mendicant inclination generally leads to them chewing through your curatives at ridiculous speed, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Except HP and the defense stats aren't important at all. Even with comparatively low HP, there's very little that will actually oneshot you, and if it doesn't oneshot you then you can easily heal thanks to all the healing items the game throws at you. Plus you have enough control over your character to limit how much you do get hit. Atk or Mag Atk and Stamina are the three actually important stats.

If you're going physical attacker, I say switch to Assassin immediately and never change to anything else (though maybe try and max Strider for the really good Leg Strength augment, or Warrior for Clout, a strength boosting augment). It has the best strength growth and nearly best stamina growth, can use bows, shields, daggers, and swords, giving it a lot of variety, and gets some really need class-specific abilities like Masterful Kill and Gale Harness.

I like to have good HP and defense on hard mode, anyway, since things start to hit pretty hard on your second run through Bitterblack. On normal mode I started to feel drat near invincible around level 100 anyway.

Edit: I also try not to carry a bunch of curatives so I can move quickly. Being able to heal quickly is really nice, but I'd rather have more HP and carry less weight. This is completely personal preference, though.

However, if you're going to end up as an Assassin, you've got so many ways to avoid damage that it's perfectly fine to have low HP and defense, and since Assassin is a ton of fun to play, that's a pretty good idea. If you're going to end up as a Warrior or Mystic Knight or something, though, more HP and defense is a great thing to have, since you don't have a dodge roll or an utterly fool-proof parry like Masterful Kill. You're going to end up tanking more hits than an Assassin would.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 7, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

So, I killed the demon at the end of Bitterblack Isle (shorter than I'd expected, I didn't even get any equipment for my character and no weapon upgrades period) but the quest marker is still there. Did the dungeon reset or is there something new at the end? I did notice that my pawn has stars in two unfamiliar enemies.

Item carry weight continues to plague me. I hit average weight at 30 and I really don't feel like finding a place it's even possible for me to grind out vocation ranks for Sinew. I've basically got enough to be just under average with nothing but healing items and the lantern/life stones. Lotta going into a menu and moving your inventory around as a mage.

Follow Genocyber's guide for maxing out vocation ranks quickly. You'd be shocked how fast it'll go.

Also: the true Bitterblack Isle starts here. You might notice your Bitterblack shortcuts are closed now, and if you go to some formerly familiar places there might be something unexpected waiting for you. All of the chests now give better loot, as well.

It's odd that you didn't get any weapon upgrades, but if you do some purification manipulation (changing your Arisen and main pawn's vocations to alter what you get out of cursed items) you should be able to get Lv.2 weapons reasonably quickly, especially now that you can start finding them in chests.

BlueDestiny posted:

Once I pick up Dark Arisen, I think I'm going to go for a melee Mystic Knight since I love getting perfect blocks. I'm curious about the tanking skills though, like shield drum. Do they pretty much cause all enemies to focus on you for a while? And is it worth taking to let your pawns focus on damage rather than spread out all over the place getting picked off?

Also, do the augments that improve stats like Vehemence affect only your base stats or do are they applied after gear and buffs?

Mystic Knights, as far as I know, don't get access to the tanking shield skills, which honestly baffles me a bit. To get enemy attention you need to run into the middle and grab it the old fashioned way. As for pawns, letting them focus on damage is fine, though you'll probably still be better at it than they will. Once you get Abyssal Anguish, the Mystic Knight becomes shockingly good at melee damage.

Augments apply to base stats and gear as well. Vehemence, Clout, Attunement, and Acuity are incredible augments for that reason. A Mystic Knight really ought to have Clout (rank 9 Warrior) and Acuity (rank 9 Sorcerer) at all times, at least at high levels--it makes a really big difference.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 7, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sitchelin posted:

If you want be the tank while everyone else deals damage, play Fighter. Mystic Knight uses a different type of shield, and is more of a magic-wielding gladiator than an actual knight. Just remember that unless your pawns have Scather/Utilitarian/Challenger inclinations, they're going to accomplish the Dragon's Dogma equivalent of trying to clap with one hand. Any pawn that doesn't have at least one of those inclinations is just going to slow down your group, it doesn't matter how well-geared they are.

Just want to emphasize this. You definitely want at least one of those inclinations around. Also, try to avoid Mendicant and Guardian. Mendicant sounds like it would be great on a Mage, but it just leads to them dropping everything to cast Anodyne on you every time you take a scratch; and Guardian usually means the pawn will stick to your side uselessly no matter what.

My Sorcerer pawn is Scather/Mitigator and I'm getting really good results. She used to be Scather/Utilitarian but I found that for some reason, Utilitarian kept turning into Nexus (which is quite possibly the worst inclination); she's stuck to Scather/Mitigator really well. And Sorcerers tend to do "Utilitarian" stuff automatically, like dual-casting with a Sorcerer Arisen and using the appropriate elemental damage on enemies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

So, just how important are individual stats in this game? Like, is the +4 magic bonus from a circlet significant in any way? I really wish games like these would be more transparent about their calculations, because like in Final Fantasy Tactics anything that gave you +4 in your magic stat would be enough to essentially double your damage output, but I have the suspicion that in this game it's meaningless and I should just go with something that looks cooler.

A +4 bonus to something like strength or magick is effectively meaningless.

As far as I can tell, the game is pretty much completely linear when it comes to how bonuses affect your stats. If you have 300 base strength and equip a weapon with 1000 attack, you'll now have 1300 strength. If something gives you a +5 bonus to strength on top of that, now you have 1305 strength, which is... not a huge leap, considering.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Assassin gear is normally yellow, but according to the wiki, Assassin rings are red for some reason.

At this point I just purify every item as blue, red, and yellow before I settle on what I want it to be, because I don't entirely trust the wiki and I apparently have a fetish for reloading saves.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I just spent half an hour battling a dragon. My guardian mage wants to pick up and carry people and not give me ice boon. Took a real long time. Anyway it was funny because a dragon is chomping on people and my pawns are all "master, look! a rope! it's suspicious!"

Inclinations can really gently caress with pawns. Guardian, Mendicant, and Nexus are the worst, and I recommend swinging by the encampment to get some elixirs to switch away from them if you get a chance. Nexus is especially insidious, because it likes to sneak up on you and then your pawn cares about nothing but carrying other pawns around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I want him to heal me? Why is mendicant bad? This is so loving counterintuitive. I just spent 5k goddamn RC to make him REALLY want to heal me, just not as much as he wants to use buffs, and now it's a bad move somehow. Great.

e: when that guy said "buy fifteen x, fifteen y, and fifteen z, drink them in reverse order" he wasn't being hyperbolic and five would have sufficed right?

Mendicant can make pawns so obsessive about healing in general that they'll chew through healing items at a hilarious rate. A Mendicant Mage will also usually drop everything to start casting Anodyne the moment you have even the tiniest scratch on you, which is about as annoying as it sounds. Then again, if what you want in a Mage is for them to heal you right the hell now, then Mendicant will get that done. Similarly, a Guardian pawn will stick to your side like glue whether it's useful or not, and a Nexus pawn will do everything in their power, all else be damned, to save their fellow pawns.

Most of the best Mages I've hired have been some combination of Utilitarian and either Scather or Mitigator. Utilitarian tends to lead to a good balance of buffing and healing; they'll usually heal you when your health starts to get around 50 to 60 percent in battle, and pretty much all the time outside of battle, when they don't have anything else to focus on.

As for fifteen elixirs, I've had mixed results, but it never hurts to be safe, I suppose. My advice when it comes to elixirs themselves is skewed a little bit because I may have found a weird quirk of Sorcerer AI and the Nexus inclination consistently replacing Utilitarian, but I'm still trying to play with it and find out what's happening. Since your pawn is a Mage you don't really have to worry about that little thing, at least, because I've only ever heard of it happening to Sorcerers. It's, uh, weird.

Edit: Full disclosure that I am a weird min-maxing freak when it comes to games like this. If your pawn is doing what you want them to do, there's no reason to do the roundabout fiddling that I'm clearly suggesting. And I should probably never reply if someone asks about stats for their characters, because... well, it'll be worse than this.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 11, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scather/Mitigator is working really well for me on my Sorcerer. She was Scather/Utilitarian for a while, but Utilitarian kept turning into Nexus no matter what I did; I haven't had that problem with Mitigator. I generally hire a Mage pawn to handle the elemental enchantments, so she doesn't need to use her own spell slots for that.

Definitely keep Comestion and Levin around at all times. Comestion is wonderful against anything that fire hurts (which is just about everything in the main, pre-Bitterblack game), and Levin is probably the best spell in the game for knocking down annoying fliers. Take either Frigor or Gicel for your ice spell, depending on how long you're willing to wait for cast times. I love Gicel myself, and my pawn's been smart about using it, but Frigor is meaningfully faster. In the Gransys areas (not Bitterblack), High Miasma is incredible--even against enemies that resist darkness, it can do pretty magnificent damage. It's less good in Bitterblack, though. And High Voidspell will save your rear end a lot, because it cures status debilitations and petrification.

Augment-wise, at least go grab Bastion from the Warrior vocation. It's a rank 1 augment that costs 900 Discipline to learn, so you don't even have to rank up Warrior to get it, and it cuts physical damage by way more than the description implies. It's the one augment that never leaves my list or my pawn's list. Ever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I just beat the main game, am I going to be a magic archer forever now? I've got a sinking feeling that I can't change classes anymore.

Go to the pawn guild in Gran Soren. You can change vocations there in the post-game. You can also change vocations in Bitterblack Isle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Why do some pawns cost 0 and others cost two million? I assume they cost RC?

Pawns who are higher level than you cost RC to hire. The exception to this is if they belong to people on your friends list, in which case they're free no matter what level they are. Hiring pawns way higher than you will murder your experience gains, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cloche posted:

this literally just happened while i was taking madeleine to bloodwater beach :shepicide:

I haven't even found a port crystal yet, just some ferrystones. Travel is a little bit frustrating sometimes, but it's pretty cool that long trips are actually grueling journeys that you have to plan for instead of being a few clicks to travel across the world or whatever.

There's a portcrystal at the bottom of the Everfall, at least until postgame. Most people miss it because they trigger the tentacles and have to run, but if you go back down there it'll be waiting for you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Man, Sorceror is so goddamn hit or miss. :sigh: Either you can do a ton of damage to an enemy or you are completely useless. The second stage of the final boss in BBI is really irritating as well, it just kills my pawns instantly now and takes like no damage. Woo, boss design. :rolleyes: Is Exequy the light spell? It doesn't actually tell you and I stopped using it pretty quickly because it's generally useless nut maybe hitting the weakness will make it less of a slog. I'll probably go back in with that and the silence spell since that's what's killing my pawns mostly.

The best way to kill the final boss in BBI with a Sorcerer is to do the following:

1. Load up on Demon's Periapts. Fournival sells them in Gran Soren.
2. Use four of them at a time, since they stack.
3. Cast Holy Affinity on yourself.
4. Shoot him in the head with focused bolts. On his second form, shoot him in the chest-face.

It's boring, but incredibly effective. It's how I killed him on Hard Mode a whole bunch of times now: just focused bolts with holy enchantments and a whole lot of Demon's Periapts. Seriously, you'll be taking off half of a health bar or more per shot, depending on where you hit, and you can knock him out of his pawn-killer move, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 12, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I get back there and now my mage pawn has suddenly decided that climbing the boss is a better use of her time than enchanting or healing. :downs:

Yeah, learn Holy Affinity yourself. Sorcerers can cast it, too. Click on the left stick to target yourself with it while you're casting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

I love DA but holy poo poo sometimes it goes into "No, gently caress YOU" mode, like every time I swap to Mystic Knight.

I go into the room with two chained cyclopes, and death is right there. I go back out and an elder ogre spawns. I go back to the other room and death is gone but now 3 garms spawn, backing up the lich that's chaincasting bolide. And the one time the stars align and my pawns take out the lich without getting something horrible to spawn in, the insane sorcerers downstairs doublecast high maelstrom and kill everyone instantly, tanking 1400 strength damage without flinching.

BBI is really goddamn frustrating when you're not already massively overgeared. I might have to switch my immortal-healer mage back to something that does damage because it's getting kind of absurd now.

I'm level 181 and my strategy for the last stratum of BBI is still "run past everything and tag the door as fast as you loving can." Well, unless I'm playing Magick Archer at the moment, in which case my strategy changes to "Ricochet Hunter ad infinitum."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zurai posted:

I finally hit a brick wall in my exploration of BBI. I just don't have the damage output to defeat the Daimon. I've killed everything but Death on my way down including multiple Cursed Dragons and Condemned Gorecyclopes, but none of my skills do any damage to him at all and my normal bow attack only deals a sliver of health. I managed to get him down 3 bars of health regardless, but it took over an hour of plinking. I guess it's time to start farming up a better bow.

Go to Gran Soren and buy as many blast arrows as your pawn can carry and still walk. Then do the same for the other two pawns. And then load yourself up with Conqueror's Periapts. Then waltz into Daimon's chamber and have your pawns feed you blast arrows, then you feed Daimon blast arrows (in his face, with Fivefold Flurry) while hopped up on four Conqueror's Periapts at a time.

Dude won't even know what hit him. Seriously: blast arrows are insultingly powerful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zurai posted:

I was a Magick Archer, who can't use the specialized arrows. I also didn't have any Periapts on me since I didn't think he'd be that much harder to damage than everything else.

Yeah, Daimon is a massive leap in difficulty. Really, the whole final stratum of Bitterblack is pretty harsh. Since you're a Magick Archer, just packing some Demon's Periapts will help immensely. Periapt up and then pelt him in the face with Sixfold Bolt and all will be well. If you're quick enough with your bolts you might even stunlock him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Yeah if you use four Demon's Periaps at a time (I always have like 40 when going through areas in BBI since they're so useful and not expensive) you should be completely fine. An account of how stupid the defense works, despite four making you do ~203% damage, in actuality you're often quadrupling or more your damage output.

Oh, yeah, this is worth noting when it comes to defense, especially with bosses that people sometimes have a hard time even scratching, like Daimon. Basically, defenses often have something of a "cut-off point"--if your damage is too low, you'll just do almost no damage at all. But once you're above that point, oh poo poo, your damage will skyrocket. It's more than a little absurd.

Basically what we're saying is "Periapts 4 life."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Does Death have a weakness? I would assume it'd be Holy if it's anything but iuno. Killing him is pretty much the only thing I still need to do besides getting the special gear I think.

The only way I've ever killed him is Blast Arrows. Get some of those and some Conqueror's Periapts and you can just stunlock him to death. Anything else is a battle of attrition (which, granted, is how it's supposed to be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm a Sorcerer so neither of those things would help much. I wanted to know if he had a weakness so I could use that affinity against him. I've got around 70 Demon's Periapt's and four million gold for more, so I guess I could just chug like 30 of them and use my standard weak attack but that's boring.

Use Periapts four at a time--that's as high as they stack--and then use the focused bolt with Holy Affinity. It does okay damage, but nowhere near what it does to Daimon. Also, Death will disappear once you take off one health bar and then you have to go find him again, which is what really draws the battle out.

• Locked thread