Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

TVs Ian posted:

So this puppy has absolutely never been inside a house before today. Born under the deck, raised in the yard :redneck: but he's doing ok.

Playing in the yard definitely turns on his 'happy' switch, tethering makes him want to eat his leash, he has the fattest paws and likes to slap with them and so far, he seems to really enjoy being in a crate. Wife plopped him in there, he curled up and snoozed for about 2 hours. Play break in the yard, an hour tethered on the couch, potty break and now he's quietly chewing on a puppy nylabone in the crate again. :3:

All of our dogs are either gently saying hi or effectively ignoring him. Tonka however has no idea what to make of this thing. At all.

His name is Nori.

God drat that's a cute rear end puppy. Do you know what kind of a mix he is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

TVs Ian posted:

Sooooooo there is someone interested in adopting Nori, a friend of a friend to my sister in law. And the girls Facebook profile picture is of herself......in a full sparkle dog fur suit.

Question is, what is a polite way to be HaHAAAno?

"You need to sign a contract that promises you won't rape the dog, tia."

EDIT: Refer to yourself as part of the fursecution as well.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Filboid Studge posted:

There is way more to that story. It sucks to be Lennox but when you are a dog banned by (lovely) BSL and owned by a known dog-fighting gangster family who has pissed off the powers that be too many times you tend to get unlucky. Poor wee dog put in a bad situation by owners who knew full well it could/would happen.

Either way, the dog shouldn't be used to punish the family (in a very petty and degrading manner) and the dog should NOT be suffering while in the care of the state.

Basically gently caress the nanny state for imposing BSL and gently caress anyone who thinks this is an acceptable way to treat a dog.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

notsoape posted:

Out of interest, what size 'pack' are the PI dog people eventually aiming for? I'm keeping one spot open for another small lurcher in the next few years (hopefully a Mouse daughter, if she does well in the field) but three dogs (two being my very own, Dan is really a family dog) will be my limit for the foreseeable future.

I'd like (in the far future) maybe another dog or two. I think three is a lot to handle and I'd only want three if there was another person living with me. My bf is pretty good with dogs and grew up with corgis, so maybe a middle aged rescue corgi or something.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Plus_Infinity posted:

So Orbit just got attacked by a pit bull at the dog park. I shouldn't have brought him in after seeing a pit bull in there but there were 5 other dogs all getting along, so i figured it would be ok. I was so wrong and wont be making that mistake again. The second we got inside the fence the dog went for Orbit's throat. I kicked it away and the owner came and held it back while I got O out of there. No blood was drawn but we both felt shaken up. I told her not to bring her dog to the park and she said "I bring him every week and there are no problems" like that was supposed to make me feel better.

We got in the car and came to another unfenced park where a lot of people walk their dogs and he said hi nicely to about 10 different dogs so hopefully he's going to be ok mentally too but Jesus it was so scary.

If you see her there again I would make a point of telling her that clearly there have been problems and she needs to make sure she takes her DA dog somewhere where it isn't going to hurt other dogs or get her sued.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Levitate posted:

or make a point to call animal control and make a scene

I'm not saying get this lady's dog taken away because its vicious (or w/e people want to say about dogs with DA or who don't play well with others) but she's bringing a pibble to a dog park and its a stupid idea. :psyduck:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Levitate posted:

I'm saying get her dog taken away if it's attacking other peoples dogs and she refuses to control it

We can be all bloo bloo about this up to the point where the dog kills another dog at the dog park and then what

I thought you were being sarcastic, my bad. :(

But yeah, I agree.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Plus_Infinity posted:

It was my first time at that particular park. I won't be going back any time soon most likely. It's not that close to my house.

She looked to be 20 years old and was probably told her pit was a bait dog. She just seemed clueless. I was too shaken up to say much other than she shouldn't bring her dog again. She didn't take her dog out of the park though, she just sat down and let her dog keep playing with the other dogs. It was unbelievable.

Obviously if I see her again I'll sperg out more and tell her I'll call AC if I see her again. I might post about her on yelp to warn other people.

Do people review dog parks on yelp?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

I thought it was otherkin who did the majority of dog-loving?

They're all the same, creepy dog molesting gently caress ups.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

I said earlier maybe 2 or 3 dogs, possibly one of which would be a middle aged corgi, but I always like my grandparents' rough coated collies and I miss my shipperke. Maybe Bailey, a rough coated collie, and a schipperke.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Azrael Alexander posted:

We're (at least I am) talking about American Bullies, not American Bulldogs. :downs: I actually really like American Bulldogs. Ambullies are those squat, bowlegged monstrosities with enormous blockheads that people like to pretend are Pit Bulls. Like this:

Oh jesus gently caress that dog is ugly.

Breeds I'd be interested in:
- labs (show bred just because I'd like one that was less drivey)
- most spitzes (grown up with them and I love their willfulness but also adoration for you)
- bull terriers (I'm not sure if I could manage the drive on them that well)
- collies (not border collies)
- maybe a sighthound like a borzoi?

Breeds not interested in:
Super drivey dogs. I'd rather have a dog with mild drives that I could cultivate rather than having drivey dogs who I basically need to manage and quash their drive.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Azrael Alexander posted:

Show bred BTs are not really all that hard to manage. Some display prey drive and/or DA, but it's not as common as it is in APBTs or SBTs, and is usually fairly easy to manage as they're not really bred for anything other than to look pretty.

BT's are another breed I really wouldn't mind owning. They're neat dogs, I'd like to look into maybe rescuing one in the future. :3:

That's awesome to know. The breeder my dad got his Finnish spitzes from is a handler for some show BTs and my dad is always very :stare: about them. I think the sort of muscly appearance (and he alleges that they jump REALLY HIGH) freaks him out.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Rixatrix posted:

Posting from a couple of pages back but this is important. Ship the pup over, I'll take it off your hands.

Edit. I think I'm eventually going to end up with four dogs. The bc-to-be (if I ever find a breeder I like and a pup that fits me, it's a loving chore looking for just the right dog) and I'd like to have a fierce, drivey little terrier. At some point in life before I'm too old I want to get a working Malinois provided I find one I like, or a Terv out of Malinois lines.

I've also already volunteered to take in the Finnish Spitz pup my dad wants and just borrow it to him when it's hunting season (he's really not that good with training dogs and would be overwhelmed with a puppy). I'm going to title it in Agility just because no one here thinks Finkies are any good for anything but hunting and barking :3:

If you train it for agility and hunting, I'd love to see updates on it. My dad has two and they're very good at being pretty and barking.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

El Gar posted:

If I had gotten a Whopper for my 7th birthday I'd have been pretty pissed even if it was a double. Just goes to show you how dumb dogs are really when you think about it.

The only dog I would get at this point would be a Papillon but whenever I think about having to put my hand in a plastic sack and pick up the dog poop and feel the warm dog poop through the thin plastic I throw up and I probably will never get a dog.

If you have a yard you could always use a pooper scooper- no warm poop to hand through bag contact any more!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

El Gar posted:

Yeah I know that but what about when I want to go for a walk with my dog? Or go to a park? At some point in my life I would have to endure the situation I described earlier.

I am sure a scooper like device exists for this purpose as well.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

El Gar posted:

Between this and that post about your dogs licking sweat off of you you are a pretty disgusting person and I honestly don't know what goes through your head when you post.

You know how toxoplasmosis is a risk for cat owners and it can change their behavior?

I imagine something similar must be the case with dogs and dog owners.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

My dad's female Finnish spitz is named Paallikka from Päällikkö, which means boss in Finnish. It's obviously not 100% correct and we all just call her Likka but my god if it doesn't fit.

They also have Pixie a pomeranian who is probably the most sullen and unpixie like creature, Waldo (or shovelhead, you guess why he's called that) a male Finnish spitz, and Maisie a Tibetan Terrier.

My dog is just Bailey and considering he's a doofy shelter mutt I think it suits him just fine. It also allows me to come up with other goof ball nicknames like Balington. Mr. B, and whatever else comes to mind.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bailey and I met a nice Italian Mastiff today at the dog park. He looked like a great dane sharpei mix, and when his owner said he was a mastiff I was surprised. I figured they were all giant wrinkly messes. I said he had a "nice moderate face" and she stared at me and then said it was the Neos who have giant wrinkly faces. I felt kinda dumb.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

Neos ARE Italian Mastiffs, the name is just interchangeable according to locale, like German Shepherd/Alsatian Shepherd. I don't know what that owner was thinking, but maybe it's a new designer breed trying to use the old name?

The dog had a docked (or naturally bobbed) tail, but the ears hadn't been cropped. He was a little wrinkly, so maybe it was a BYB Neo mastiff or the breeder she got it from didn't call it a neo because it wasn't disgustingly wrinkly? I can't imagine it being a pet store puppy because who the hell would be crazy enough to have a mastiff in a pet store puppy kennel?

I don't know, I thought that they were the same thing too.

(Either way it was a pretty sweet dog; he and Bailey kinda chased each other around for like 10 minutes, then ignored each other and sniffed around. The dog, Talos, hid behind my leg at one point in time and peered around it to get a good look at Bailey. That dog wasn't fooling anyone though. He was much bigger than that.)

EDIT: Looking at Corso pics, that's pretty likely. I'm surprised they let her have that dog here considering they won't let people have rotties, dobermans or pits here.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 29, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Skizzles posted:

Someone shared this dog on Facebook... look at it. :stare:

She just got adopted. :3:

Jesus I didn't realize an animal could have a face like a nut sack.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bailey is dreaming on the couch making tiny muffled "whuff" noises. Its the cutest. Playing with a dog for like 15 minutes just wears him out.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Azrael Alexander posted:

Two dogs got into a scuffle, so the only option is to get rid of the dog, even though you don't even know if this is the dog that started the fight...? :psyduck:

I'm sure this is a long standing point of contention between the two owners. "Get rid of that dog or I'm leaving!" "Your dog is mean!" etc.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bash Ironfist posted:

So uh. Been playing tug with the dog lately, and we both enjoy it. At least I thought we did. He's been growling when we do it now. I'll give the toy a tug, and then he'll tug it, and growl.

How do I tell if this is annoyed/"Let it go!" growling? Or is that all growling?

To rile my dog up during tug sessions I sometimes growl at him. I would say "annoyed" growling would probably be pretty noticeable. He's probably just excited.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Greycious posted:

It isn't about it being ugly. That dog does not have a coat type that should be clipped down. Its coat helps to protect it against the heat. How is there a less chance of getting got spots? I've never heard of that.

That could also feel very irritating to the dog as the fur is growing back.

At the end of the day, this is probably the least bad "bad" thing someone could do to their dog. I understand why you guys get so up in arms about it, but its already been done so there's no real point in going NO DONT EVER DO THAT. More likely than not the dog will be fine and the worst that might happen is a slightly increased risk of skin cancer or the dog might later look like a doofus.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Levitate posted:

This is the internet. Why do you care that people care? :colbert:

Because people are getting silly over something fairly trivial.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

notsoape posted:

petisland.txt

I mean I get incredibly irate over weird things too, but it tends not to be "someone else gave their dog a haircut that I don't like" and is more like, "someone in my lab is a walking safety hazard and might get someone hurt".

but yes.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

El Gar posted:

Look, I'm the first to understand cosmetic preferences in animals. I own a purebread cat for pete's sake. I just didn't get the vitriol I was seeing absent a medical reason. One was provided so now I understand. I'm sorry you can't let any little tiny thing go, dog people.

Also the Trophy thread was already written up this morning I was just waiting till I'd gone to the gym and lunch before posting it. Funny coincidences all up in PI today.

No you see shaving a double coated breed is dog abuse and people should feel bad so here is my seven paragraph thesis on the matter. Going to nail this to my local groomer's door.

EDIT: I grew up with a fixed double coated dog who we never shaved, just brushed. She never was bothered by heat or cold and at one point in time would fight with us to stay outside in the middle of the day in Texas. My current dog is double coated and has no tolerance for heat. If its 80 or above he pants like he is going to pass out (even when we first walk outside) and refuses to spend any length of time outside when its that hot. Am I going to shave him? No. Can I give him a kiddie pool if we had to be out all day? No, he hates getting wet. At the end of the day there's a lot more variability than people are willing to admit.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 5, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

It's not dog abuse and I won't go for pages and pages screaming about it like some people (:psyduck:) but it does make your dog look loving retarded and IMO, its the lazy owners way of dealing with heat. It's really not all that difficult to keep a dog cool without making it look like a butt.

That's all I have to say on shaving. And I won't post Keeper's 'daily life' because he doesn't do anything of interest aside from being a dog.

Do you not have some sort of elaborate inner monolog that Keeper must have?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Citizen Rat posted:

You are very upset that people have found a new thing to run into the ground. Next it will be cat litter. Are you going to be very upset about the cat litter thing?

Also, did I miss how this thread was suddenly Super Serious Business All The Time rather than random nonsense? People are amused by posting their pet's schedule; at least we don't need to post a whole new thread for them.

I'm not upset, I think the daily schedules are cute? I mean hell, I joke that my dog turns the gravity off when I leave because occasionally he gets things into weird places in my apartment.

I'm sorry I don't agree with you on the shaving thing but that doesn't mean I am a no fun meanie.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Topoisomerase posted:

Pippa:

12am-11:59pm: *silence* derp.

A blissful derp existence.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Skizzles posted:

Thanks for the fish oil input, guys.

Also, apparently Ginny has a twin for adoption in my area:

It looks like someone crossed a schipperke with an ACD!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

This was posted in Lovedump, but I can't get over the way the dog looks. Is it a cattahoula leopard dog? How did it get such distincting breaks in its coat pattern?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

notsoape posted:

:eng101: The split face you see in tortoiseshell cats, harlequin rabbits and dogs such as the above is due to the way pigment migrates in the developing embryo.

Imagine a little guy walking down a rabbit's spine dealing cards left and right as he goes. There will be a random pattern of red and black cards on either side. Now imagine the cards are replaced with tins of red and black paint, which the little guy then kicks over. The red and black paint will drizzle down the side of the rabbit, and they'll form bands of colour which aren't exactly perfect because paint doesn't drizzle in perfectly straight lines.

That's pretty simplified, but hopefully you get the picture. All the pigment cells are initially stored in the 'neural crest' (proto-spine) of the embryo, and gradually they migrate over the body. In some cases, there will be both red and black pigment cells in the neural crest and they will align themselves pretty randomly. The exact markings of (for example) a tortoiseshell cat are also influenced by environmental factors as the pigment migrates. If you cloned a tortoiseshell cat, the two clones would not have identical markings.

SO, a split face dawg has a split face because in the tiny developing embryo, there was a red pigment cell on one side of the proto-head and a black pigment cell on the other :)

I figured the explanation had to be something akin to that. Do you know what gene is responsible for that kind of patterning? I'm being lazy, but I amsure the internet knows!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

notsoape posted:

In rabbitlady code it is part of the 'E' series ('E' stands for 'extension'). 'E' stands for normal extension and is dominant over both 'ej' (harlequin/magpie) and 'e' (red). 'ej' is also dominant over 'e'. 'Extension' basically refers to the distribution of red and black pigment in individual hairs. Normal agouti hairs are banded red and black. In 'e' rabbits there is no black pigment, so every hair is red (tho there is an exception, but we won't complicate things). In harlequin rabbits, some hairs are completely red and others are completely black. I can throw up some pictures to illustrate this if anyone is interested :)

I took genetics in college but we didn't cover a lot of the more "exciting" or exotic colorations precisely because of how difficult they get.

We spent a lot of time talking about cross over frequency and recombination though.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Sigh. Apparently as soon as husband leaves the bedroom in the morning, Ires leaps up and goes to sleep on my feet.

She's as eager to please as Kaydee is. How do you dogs keep finding me? My chosen breed is a breed that stares at you like their brain just fell out of their ears when you tell them to come, because they've found a nice warm spot and they wanna lay in the dirt (fuckin. Balen anyway). What do I do with you happy, ready to please dogs?!

It's too hot right now and most folks hold obedience outside, but when it cools off I'll likely sign her up for some late puppy classes. I've taught her a bit and she learns relatively quickly and she's just so gleeful when she does something right.

A while back Balen had a problem at the dog park. The person that came out with us recently thinks that it's just certain dogs. He was on leash and off leash with two dozen different dogs (ages, sexes, unneutered, neutered, fluffiness/not fluffy, etc) and he did great. And then a malamute came in and he started getting kinda tense until he realized she just wanted to play.

So we're under the working assumption that Balen isn't super fond of malamutes/huskies but they're pretty baffled as to why. My dog is a breedist. :smith:

My dog gets really freaked out by golden mixes and goldens. I think its because the first one he ever met freaked him out.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Someone posted a link to Pet Edge late last week (Fluffy Bunnies I think?). I was wondering if you thought it would be okay/ safe to order Frontline from there. I know its a weird question but I am always worried about getting counterfeit stuff that won't do poo poo to protect my dog.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've done it before and it was authentic, however that's been a while ago. Like, Okinawa a while ago. Uh.. year? Year and a half? because the vets were out. They're a relatively large, well-known site, so I'd imagine Frontline would kick their rear end if it wasn't authentic.

Dancingthroughlife, if you wouldn't mind boxing up and sending me girl 1 and boy 1 I would very much appreciate it. Goodness knows I don't mind bottle feeding things and shipping only gets higher if you wait :v:

Balen and Amy have their shots today. Balen's been kinda barfy lately too, but I think it's just the heat. Still, gonna get furryfuzzy checked out.

Thanks! I'll probably get Bailey's next doses from there (and I also realized that they started out in Billerica, MA, so they're kind of a local business).

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Topoisomerase posted:

I used to order my Frontline+ from PetEdge as well. It was nice for when I wanted to buy other stuff, since there's a dollar amount you have to go over in order to not get charged extra and buying 6mo of Frontline definitely made it easier to hit. It always looked authentic to me too.

Also good to know; I assumed that they were a wholesaler but I didn't know what exactly that meant in terms of how much I had to buy etc.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"Oh jesus please make this torture stop."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

My younger brother is visiting me for two weeks, so he's at home with Bailey. I hope he's not being a dick to him because Bailey isn't going to put up with that.

• Locked thread