Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

notsoape posted:

Out of interest, what size 'pack' are the PI dog people eventually aiming for? I'm keeping one spot open for another small lurcher in the next few years- hopefully a Mouse daughter, if she does well in the field - but three dogs (two being my very own, Dan is really a family dog) will be my limit for the foreseeable future.

One dog and one cat is my ideal but I am open to a brace of dogs if they have a job to do.

I've been talking to a hunter/family friend in my area who will likely be putting a Plott-cross litter on the ground next summer but it will totally depend on where I end up moving this fall. If that falls through I'm probably looking at a rescue coonhound or a bloodhound or some sort of long-eared, loud-mouthed cross. I'd like a dog that can work in the field along with my friends' and family members' dogs but I'm not looking into competing or really anything beyond hobby hunting.

That said, my state is suddenly becoming very friendly to coyote hunting so I reserve the right to abruptly change my mind and get a totally insane yote courser like my cousin's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Things I never want to deal with in a future dog: DA, HA, BSL, needing to be clipped at the groomer, blowing coat, high-pitched barks. Would not want to own a herder, sighthound, terrier, giant breed or anything that can't hack it hiking in the woods year-round. (I would totally consider getting another rescue pug someday, though; mine was pretty awesome.)

Bash I know it was from a while ago but your Boston is probably capable of a lot more than you think. When I was a kid the family pug - an even less-functional breed than a Boston - was down for running on the track, hiking and running alongside my bike in the woods, swimming in the ocean, etc. It just takes some awareness of the weather and providing water/breaks when needed. She would've gone crazy without at least 2 30-minute walk/jogs a day. If it's hot out then you can exercise him indoors (play fetch down a hallway or tug) or wait until the sun goes down - if you're concerned about giardia then take him to the woods or somewhere away from your neighborhood and dog parks. Letting a brachycephalic breed get out of shape is the worst thing you can do with them.

v The lifespan/health issues and the long wait before I can take one running on pavement/track is what turns me off of giant breeds. That said I would feel a million times safer running alone at night if I had a 150lb. dog with me.

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 25, 2012

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Create a job by paying someone to follow your dog around and pick up his turds.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Ye Worse User-name posted:

Yeah I'm a little confused by the thought process that would lead one to conclude that trying to take a dead mouse (food) away from a strange cat.

"Hey great, my cat caught a mouse! I should throw it away before she eats it, because I've been seeing blocks of rat poison placed around the building!"

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

ButWhatIf posted:

I'm straight-up against breeding dogs for heightened neophobia unless that dog is a working dog - not a performance or sport dog, but one who does an actual job for a person who owns a working farm or is a police officer or has a real requirement for protection from a dog.

In a lot of ways, I agree with you - almost every person that is looking to get a human-aggressive or "guard" dog is doing it for the wrong reasons. I don't really feel that changing the innate drive of the dog is the solution, because there will always be lovely breeders handing out Cane Corso/Presa/Doberman puppies to any jagoff with a checkbook, but if it were possible to get more breeders on-board with controlling what kind of homes their puppies go to, then I think that would be the best possible fix.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

I'm really not totally sure that the pit bull/snub nose ban is necessarily about omgvicious pit bulls, it might be due to the fact that brachycephalic breeds really can't fly all that safely in cargo, and something like 95% of the US population thinks that this is a pit bull:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

notsoape posted:

It's not that simple, anyone who's worked in animal control will tell you that it's difficult to make arrests and seizures of fighters and dogs used in dog fighting based on circumstantial evidence alone. You have to have the law behind you. In some places, unless you basically catch the fighters in the middle of a match, you don't have grounds to seize dogs.

This is true of Animal Control in the US, too. A lot of dogs are seized under hoarding/animal limit laws rather than fighting laws because it's easier to get them that way.

All the Americans raging about this dog are holding the Belfast AC to an insanely high standard. :lol: Expecting ACOs to handle this like diplomats instead of like people who have limited time and resources who sometimes have to make quick decisions about which animals get to live and which ones die is nuts.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

wtftastic posted:

The issue is less with AC and more with the law, the city council and the way this was carried out. Maybe some people are mad at AC, but that's pointless really.

Most of the arguments I've been hearing from Americans is "Their expert witness was just a dog catcher not enough of a ~canine expert~ for my liking" or "The dog was IMPRISONED how horrible no wonder it was acting out." :qq: As if they think it's any better over here. (The dog was unregistered and lunged at the dog catcher - he would've been euthed immediately upon intake in my city pound and pits aren't even illegal here.) It's pretty pointless to get mad at the city council, too. Why are people suddenly expecting them to be expert animal behaviorists?

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

wtftastic posted:

On the first count, that is a legit complaint. Why not hire or contact a behaviorist for an eval (exactly as the family who owned the dog did)? We constantly talk about the benefits of having qualified behaviorists evaluate dogs but apparently in this instance that's somehow a bad idea?

Also I don't understand what dog you are talking about. Is this some hypothetical dog?

Um...the same dog that's been up for discussion? The Belfast pit bull that was euthanized after being unregistered and then lunging at the dog warden.

Why not hire a behaviorist? Where's the money going to come from? Dog wardens/AC are almost universally underfunded and understaffed. And handing the dog over to a TV personality would've just made this media circus even bigger than it already was. I'm pretty sure the city has bigger fish to fry than a bunch of people moaning and threatening them about an illegal dog that was left unregistered while the owners lied about what breed it was and then pitched a fit when they saw consequences for their actions.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

wtftastic posted:

I don't understand why you are so defensive of the city and how they handled it. Even if you agree that the dog violated the law and ought to have been destroyed, it could have been done in a more sensitive and appropriate way.

Because city councils and animal control departments shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of someone else repeatedly breaking the law. Instead of owning up to their mistakes, the owners fought the city by lying about it, getting the media involved, and standing by while the internet launched a harassment campaign against the city council (which I'm sure did lots to endear them).

Also IIRC the ban is on "pit bull type dogs" not specifically only purebred APBTs. The owners had previously registered the dog as a "pit bull type," allowed the registration to lapse, and ignored multiple warning from the city before their dog was taken. So I don't really see why anybody would defend them.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

wtftastic posted:

http://canineaggression.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/lennox-gloves-come-off.html

I just wanted to get your thoughts on this, given that the dog catcher was all they had, etc.

Honestly I'm surprised they allowed third-party evaluations at all - it's just opening the system up to more abuse like what we've seen from Lennox's owners, dragging the case out for years and costing the city more and more and more money while the ensuing media circus whips itself into a frenzy sending threats and pouring gasoline into city councilpersons' home mail slots. Allowing one owner to bring in a slew of high-profile TV personalities to come in and argue with the dog catcher opens up a precedent to allow all future negligent owners to do this.

Nothing about this changes the fact that an unregistered, illegal dog is still an unregistered, illegal dog. I guess I'm just wondering what exactly is the point that you're trying to argue? That they should let TV show dog trainers come in and start enforcing the laws? That they should have illegally exported an illegal, unregistered animal and open the doors for every illegal, unregistered animal to be exported, again, illegally? That one brief behavioral assessment doesn't hold up against 2 years of full-time boarding with the dog?

Edit to add, here is a case summary, including some choice bits that were conveniently left out of most of the American coverage of the story:

quote:

Following the expiry of the dog's licence in September 2009 a dog warden attended the applicant's property on 11 May 2010 and observed what she thought was a Pit Bull type dog on the property. She returned with another warden to the premises later that date. The wardens spoke to a male on the premises who refused to permit the examination of the dog and told he them that if they attempted to measure the dog it would "rip their head off".

Owners admitting to the dog warden that their dog was human-aggressive.

quote:

[5] A warrant to enter was obtained on 14 May 2010. The dog wardens attended on 19 May 2010. One of the wardens, Ms Lightfoot, attempted to examine the dog in the kitchen. The dog was very agitated, barking and growling. The dog lunged at her head and hit her with his muzzle. She was unable to carry out the examination because the dog was repeatedly lunging at her. The applicant finally agreed that the dog wardens could take the dog and she placed the dog in the Council van.

Dog growls at and then repeatedly lunges at the dog warden, owner agrees that they can take the dog away.

quote:

[6] Mr Peter Tallaght, an expert dog handler, retained by the Council examined the dog. He confirmed that the dog was a Pit Bull Terrier and he had serious concerns in relation to its temperament and general stability. The dog allowed Mr Tallaght to examine him but after the examination and without warning flew at him at head height hitting the wire gate parallel to Mr Tallaght's face. At the hearing before the County Court Mr Tallaght stated the dog was a dangerous example of this type of dog and he believed it had a severe personality defect. He considered that the dog had a problem with strangers and it was not possible to determine when the dog would be under stress.

quote:

[8] On the other hand Mr David Ryan, on behalf of the applicant, in a report dated 16 March 2011 recorded that when he reached over the dog's head to clip a line to the back of his collar in one movement the dog lunged towards him, growled, barked and snapped. He concluded that if the dog were to be returned to the family he would not be a danger to the public if kept muzzled and confined to a lead when in public and kept confined to an enclosure from which he could not escape when not confined by a lead.

So here are all of these people, with plenty of dog experience, relating their experiences. Why bother flying in Stillwell and other people who have not only never met the dog but have already publicly stated their own biases about the case?

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 13, 2012

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

No poo poo, I want to take that puppy and get him running black bear. :banjo:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

When I first brought her home, my boyfriend and I used high-pitched cat voice to praise Lillehammer every time she caught a mouse or bug, so if you use a cutesy voice on her she now thinks that there is something in the house and she needs to go gittit. Once she starts patrolling she doesn't stop until you distract her with a delicious treat, so maybe it's us that she's trained...

My dad used to be able to drive our family dog into fits just by raising his voice higher and higher. Her tail would uncurl and she would race around in circles until he stopped. :3:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

wtftastic posted:

I'm just curious why they can't be used on deer. Are deer protected or is it considered cruel? There are some places in the states where you can't use hounds on deer.

Most places in the states don't let you use dogs on deer. The reasoning I've heard is that it's not safe to have loose dogs crashing through the brush during a very popular hunting season (same goes for turkey season, at least in my state). They're like to run into a shot or disturb someone who's shooting from a blind. It would suck to sit and wait to line up a one-shot kill on a buck only to have it bolt when somebody's dog bays from a half-mile away. A lot of folks consider it unsportsmanlike to hunt deer with dogs; I'm not one of them but it's a common attitude. Historically, white-tails etc. were overhunted and almost wiped out in a lot of areas of the US where deer hunting with dogs was a popular thing - now that we have and enforce bag limits, though, that's not really relevant, even though it still influences opinions on the subject.

Some states, particularly those with high pest animal populations, have a split seasons where you can run game with dogs for a few weeks at the beginning or end of open season. For instance, Maine has a separate training season where you can only run black bear with dogs, it starts a few weeks before open season. (In fact I'm heading up north this weekend to take advantage of this!) However, when bear season and deer season overlap, you can't go out and hunt bear with dogs.

I think hunters should at least be allowed to keep a leashed trailing hound in case they miss a shot and injure the deer, it would help the hunter find the deer and finish it off instead of leaving an injured deer to die in the woods.

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 13, 2012

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Invalid Octopus posted:

Guess where my uncle's girlfriend wants to get a puppy from? DiamondDoodles!. They have a problem with the phrase "puppy mill".

quote:

The term “puppymill” is a derogatory word used by animal rights activists and supporters against anyone who breeds dogs, and is no more acceptable than using slur names for those of different ethnic backgrounds. It is as degrading and offensive to professional breeders to call them “puppymills” as it is to call our fellow man slur names. It is not socially acceptable to call our fellow man names, nor is it acceptable to call breeders slur names.

Well, you heard it from the source, calling them a "puppy mill" is exactly the same as using racist slurs!

I've never seen a Catahoula outside of a working home here in New England, but they are becoming a fad breed, so I expect we'll see hundreds of high-strung understimulated ones in shelters within a year or so. It's a shame, really, I like them and they are real workhorses and good all-around woods dogs in general. When I see a merle dog that isn't an Aussie cross, I just assume that they were some backyard bred designer mutt; merle seems to be the ~rare~ fad color of the moment.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Once, I read a theory that dogs are considered "manly" because "manly men" (a.k.a. insecure men) want to control/order around their subjects - the dog is a proxy for what they want in a woman, you can tell it what to do and it will still adore you undyingly. Cats cannot be controlled and are choosy about affection, and men who are so concerned about control don't want any more of that in their lives. I've seen the same attitude in plenty of dog ladies, too, so it's definitely not a 100% male thing.

It's definitely a silly fluff theory, but I find a shred of truth to it. People who are outspoken cat haters tend to be lovely people, in my experience.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Good old Massachusetts just passed a law banning breed-specific legislation statewide, so of course our local neocon tabloid went off the rails about it, Nancy Grace style. But...is it just me? Or does the omgvicious pit bull plastered across the front page of thousands of papers statewide look more like a Staff than an APBT? I'm not quite the pibble nerd that other posters are but that face looks pretty Staff-y to me.

Either way, Menino going all :qq: is always good for a laugh.

vvv He's also been bathing in self-tanner lately, it makes him even more clownish.

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 23, 2012

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Serella posted:

Loling at the comments about LOCKING JAWS and ONLY VICIOUS THUGS (minorities with tattoos) OWN PIT BULLS.

OUR LORD & SAVIOR TOM BRADY has a rescued pit mutt, too, so one can only imagine the dissonance buzzing through the brains of the Herald readership right now.

:3:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Aravenna posted:

Quaffle has suddenly started baying out of the blue. Up until now he'd only do single barks, and only at people when he specifically wanted something from them (PET MEEEEEE) but today he was baying his fool head off at a helicopter overhead like he thought he had treed it or something. Sooooo maybe he is part coonhound or something after all. Do non-hound breeds bay? Between this and his Chewbacca-style howly talking that he got from his husky or malamute ancestors he sure does make weird noises.

I always, always assume "beagle" for baying dogs because they are a thousand times more common in the general US than coonhounds. Unless you're in the deep south or rural Maine or something.

Most dogs have a howling/barking noise that isn't...quite so deep and loud as a typical hound's bay, though, so that's probably the more likely answer. If you could've heard him clearly from a mile away then I could see coonhound or bloodhound, but from what I've seen of him ITT he doesn't have the look.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Aravenna posted:

Yeah I'm in Alabama and he's 72 pounds, so I'm thinking coonhound rather than beagle. And it's definitely baying, my grandfather and uncle raised hunting beagles so I know the difference between that and barking. :) It is LOUD, louder than I've heard from any of the other dogs in the neighborhood, and a totally different tone. The hound look is mostly in his head and ears, it's hard to get it to come out in pictures but he has a pretty houndy head and his ears are really low set (in the pictures he usually has them pricked so they look higher than they really are).

Isn't he a GSD/Husky mix or something? Huskies howl all the time - generally pretty loudly - but if you've got any houndy-looking photos then I'd love to see 'em. Usually the ears are the obvious tell - I've never seen a large scenthound mix that didn't have the long droopy ears.

A friend of mine briefly fostered a husky/pit mix and you could hear it howling from down the block. :3:

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 28, 2012

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

He's got a saddle marking right? Could be working bloodhound. I've met a few of them and every one worth any muster has been imported from south of the Mason/Dixon. Throw him into nosework, even a little hound blood + a good deal of GSD will be a good combo for that!

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I originally tried a design like that for both cats. Sadie goes right at the entrance and launches litter out the low area trying to cover it up, and Purrcy enters via the U then does his perch-poop thing at a corner. He's also taken to rocketing out via just about any side possible meaning I'll near a litter ma the size of an area rug. Sadie now won't use a covered box because I think she's scared of being cornered there.

How about a top-entrance box? I have a covered box with a door for my litter-kicker (I was concerned, but she adjusted just fine with a little Cat Attract mixed in) but I've heard plenty of success stories with top-entrance as well. You can also put your litter tray into a tall cardboard box with a hole cut in the front for an entrance, that way there's no cover but they can't kick a ton of litter out.

There are lots of solutions for this but I'd start with a cheap and LARGE covered box (too-small covered boxes seem to be a problem for most cats and could explain the "trapped/cornered" thing from Sadie) and see if they'll try it. Definitely mix in some Cat Attract at first. This one from Target is dirt cheap, it's awesome and you can remove the door at first while they get used to it and then re-attach it later.

(Also: my iCal gives me a daily reminder every evening to scoop the litterbox. Easy, and it works!)

Just to give you an idea, this is what my entryway looked like when I had an open pan instead of a covered box: huge piles of cat litter with a little dumbass rolling around in it like a pig. Revolting:

I still have the sisal mat under the box but there's almost no tracked litter on it anymore since she has to do a little hop out of the box door, it makes a huuuge difference as I am totally repulsed if I find even one little nugget of litter on my foot after walking around the apartment.

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 30, 2012

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Nione posted:

I WANT a mini-pig and would add it to a list of possible FuturePets if they're as loving awesome as they look.

Watch a couple of Honey Boo Boo episodes and then decide if you want an animal that shits on your kitchen table and screams a pig-language version of "Alana!" at you all the time. You can't tell that pig what to do!

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Hound, I'd be worried it'd smell bear or deer and be off to find that critter.

Any hunting dog you could possibly consider will need to have this habit broken. It's a pretty simple process, depending on which type you choose. Look at "stock breaking" and "deer breaking" for info.

Your first consideration here should be, "Can I satisfy this dog's drive outside of hunting season?" Tons of hunters don't think about this and end up surrendering beautifully-bred Brittanies and vizslas because they just cannot satisfy their drive without the ability to work them. An adult hound might be a good choice for you since they can usually be satisfied with a nice jog or hike - pretty much any breed can be trained to be a decent bird dog, as you've found with the GSDs!

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

If somebody pushed my hypothetical dog to the point of a bite like Cesar did then I would chalk it up as idiocy on the part of the person pushing through the obvious signals that the dog was giving off. I mean personally I would've stepped in before that happened, but my family has always had the attitude of "Oh the dog bit you? Well maybe you shouldn't have been messing with it." going all the way back to my uncle getting chomped by the family ridgeback for teasing him with food when he was a little kid.

Personally I don't have kids and don't really care for off-leash dog parks, so a fearful or aggressive dog like that wouldn't be a huge problem for me. I'd probably end up working on it with a pro if it ended up being a big deal beyond some rear end in a top hat pushing and pushing the dog past its breaking point, but sometimes it's necessary to recognize that people get hosed up for being stupid around animals and a dog is an animal.

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 18, 2012

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

There are people in this world who go out of their way to buy a dog of a breed that they aesthetically like, but know literally nothing about, and then get mad because that dog exhibits the characteristics of the breed.

These people will never stop existing and they will never stop being loving idiots.

...sort of like the guy at my local coonhound rescue, who likes to take the dogs on walks and then yank on their leashes and yell NOOOOOO at them whenever they put their noses down to sniff? Yeah. :saddowns:

Citizen Rat posted:

I am such a breedist. I hear all this about pits and their delicate souls & dog aggression issues and think: "my god, why would you want one?"

Doesn't help that they all have vagina mouths.

I feel this way whenever people talk about their primitive/spitz breeds - why not just get a cat if you want a pet that hates you and doesn't listen to you? On the other hand, pretty much everyone hates stinky, loud, stubborn scenthounds and curs and that's cool, more for me!

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Citizen Rat posted:

Awww. They'll do what you say if there's something in it for them. (You being happy is not normally sufficient.) NILIF training method is pretty much the most awesome thing ever for these guys. It's also hilarious because now when Sitka really wants something she'll run through her entire repertoire of tricks to get my attention. (a malamute doing 'roll over' never stops being funny.)

The pug that I grew up with was the same way and while she was always funny, it got really frustrating when I needed her to come when called and I didn't happen to have food in my hand. Her gently caress-You Side Eye was legendary. I'm fine with this behavior from my cat because she is a cat but when I have to deal with a dog I'm just like, "Hey cut it out, you are a dog, just go fetch this tennis ball or whatever like you're supposed to." It bums me out because I think bone-mouth Peis and salukis are awesome-looking dogs, but I doubt I'd ever own either one without turning into a giant crybaby every time my own dog ignored me.

My old neighbors had a beautiful red husky bitch that I would occasionally borrow and take for runs, though, and it was a great motivator to have a dog that lives to run. Plus the neighbors loved that their dog finally stopped screaming and chewing the baseboards once she got some exercise. They are so soft and beautiful and :3: but I don't think I could deal with one full-time. Every city should have a Rent-A-Husky program for runners.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Anybody claiming to be sacrificing cats for Satan should probably know that Anton LaVey was a huge catlady who is probably spinning in his grave about the whole thing.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

I would never, ever want to live with eleven intact bitches - imagine the nightmare of upholstery stains and loose dogs on walks. That alone makes me question the writer's sanity.

Asstro Van posted:

~Artisanal~ breeding is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.

It's the "put a bird on it" of dog breeding.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

SuperTwo posted:

Eva's only been through one heat but really, it wasn't bad at all. Just slap some panties on her and that's it.

When my parents got the family dog, my mom was in the "spay after the first heat" camp. Unfortunately, our dog was in the "rip the stupid dog diaper off and leave shreds of dog-menses-stained diaper filling all over the beige upholstered sofa, oh boy why is that huge neighborhood dog running toward us? This is so exciting!!" camp.

Never again. I would never hack it as a breeder. And cats in heat? No. Personally I wouldn't care if nobody ever fixed their pets as long as they didn't do anything stupid like letting them carry accidental litters to term or not taking their bitch to the e-vet when her uterus fills with pus, but for pet owners there seem to be way more drawbacks and pains-in-the-rear end when you have an intact dog than a fixed one.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

notsowelp posted:

Mouse is like 18 months old now and still hasn't had a heat. The perks of owning sighthounds :smug:

Are sighthounds the dog world's equivalent of runway models and gymnasts in that they are so skinny that they just never get around to menstruating?

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Standard poodles are seriously awesome dogs, I don't know why anyone purchasing a dog would opt for a mix over them.

Cockapoos always bring me back to my ex-boyfriend, his parents wanted a cockapoo puppy so they found an ad in the paper and "rescued" the puppy by paying the man $800 for the sick puppy that was lying in the dirt in the back of a barn. Then when that dog died at 5 from having every single organ riddled with tumors, they did the same thing, except this puppy was "rescued" from underneath a porch and cost them $1200. His dad called me to brag all about how now we both worked in animal rescue and how he felt so proud for saving the puppy from the mud pit where its litter and dam were being kept.

Obviously, this ex came from brilliant stock.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Serella posted:

I still want to know what happened with ZIMS and Dexter. One of PI's finest moments.

IIRC, Dexter was adopted, then left tied up somewhere, picked up by animal control and there were a bunch of posts asking for transport help. Unfortunately ZIMS never replied to my offer to pick him up and drive him back to her/the rescue of her choosing (I'm local) so I assume that was the end of it.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

VV: Explainnnnnn, I knew there was a big e/n blow out thing but I never heard the full context at all.

Seconding this, PI crossover to other subforums are always the best. Maso's half-baked attempt at a TFLC thread was great fun.

Who was the Nazi furry? I distinctly recall a Nazi furry getting a cliche German dog breed and naming it some cliche German name.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

Me, Frankie, and Moses hung out with Maso's (sucks to ur assmar) beezers irl once

What happened to her standard poodle with the Bob Dylan hair? That dog owned.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

Sighthounds are pretty but I just don't really get them. They just kind of stand there going o__________________o and not really doing anything.

This is exactly why I recommend racing greyhounds to urban/working/first-time dog owners. My mom plans on fostering some when she retires because, her words, "They already pee outside and all they want is a nice couch and a leg to lean on." She and my dad are busy folks and wouldn't know what to do with a dog that had real drive.

I can't handle them, if I wanted a dog that acted like a cat I'd just get a ca-

...oh. :saddowns:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

It's obvious but have you tried Cat Attract in the litterbox?

vvv When I move later this winter I plan on doing this, just cutting a hole in the side of an Ikea cabinet or nightstand. There are examples all over Ikea Hacker but let me know how it works for you!

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 15, 2012

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Skizzles posted:

I told them it'd probably be best to look at small mutts in foster homes with kids and other dogs, but I'd like some breeds/mixes to suggest they look for as well. I did of course also tell them that each dog is an individual that may not behave as expected.

I would rule out terriers just as you did hounds, they tend toward being barky and short-tempered. How about the toy/companion breeds? Bichons, Havanese, Tibetan spaniel, French bulldog? Frenchies and Bostons in particular are going through the "last year's fad" stage at my local rescues, there are flat faces everywhere in shelters.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

wtftastic posted:

I'd take 100 of those dogs driving over 10 Massholes.

My neighborhood is already covered with squished cats in the road; I honestly don't think we'd see any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

:byodood: Can y'all teach my russian blue-nosed pit to bite people on command? I can drop him off tomorrow.

If this was a real thing, I would seriously grapple with the idea of getting one to match my Russian blue-nosed cat.

• Locked thread