Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

By the way, Shifty Pony - no, Husker doesn't mind being in the next room because our house is laid out in such a way that he can see us from anywhere on the main floor, and the rest of the house is carpeted.

I gave the rats a small bowl of squash pieces and seeds and they immediately starting squabbling over a single piece. Guys, there's like five more just a good as that one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Maybe Corwin thinks it's hot in your house? Bathroom fixtures tend to be nice and cool.

Haha I just saw that you said that, never mind.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

Feldman dragged his little mat underneath my bed, and is now laying on it while chewing on his toys.

Dog you are weird. Why are you under there?

Dogs have a strong denning instinct, and sometimes they'll designate a particular spot as their den. Husker has one particular bed that he always takes his bones and such to. Anything high value gets taken there. Maybe Feldman has decided that under your bed is a good place to take his high value stuff.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

wtftastic posted:

They're all the same, creepy dog molesting gently caress ups.

I don't know, there's a girl I went to elementary school with and still occasionally talk to who turned out to be a furry, and while she loves her animals and feels a "spiritual bond" with them, I'm fairly certain she's not loving them. She and her boyfriend are relatively normal in every regard except their desire to dress up like giant anthropomorphic wolves or foxes or whatever. And they're adamantly anti-"yiff" as well.

So, I wouldn't necessarily advocate for adopting to this person, but it's not a given that she wants the dog as a potential sex partner or whatever. Furries totally skeeve me, but I think it's going a bit far to paint them all as dog-diddlers.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

No offense, but my Chihuahua is more athletic and dog like than any Boston I've ever met :colbert: And more quiet/well-behaved.

My friend's horrible little BYB longhair Chi thing is actually a pretty game little dog. He has awful teeth and a misaligned jaw and huge bulging eyes, but he is very athletic and quite clever. He loves people and will sit quietly in your lap, or play fetch for hours, and he always tries to play with toys that are comically too big for him. He also had a really strong prey reaction to our other friend's pet rat.

I'm not a fan of small dogs, and I've met a lot of awful chihuahuas, but Jack is a surprisingly awesome little dude. It helps that most of his worst behaviors disappeared after neutering.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Radio! posted:

All cats.

Actually I desperately want a Sphinx, but I'll probably never get one because my first choice will always be a senior/sick cat from the shelter.

Every so often a sphinx will show up in rescue, it could happen!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

There's always cording ;)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Does anybody follow Marc Maron on Twitter? From his standup I knew he had something of a penchant for taking in stray cats, and over the last couple of days he's been posting about a beat-up stray that's been lurking nearby. From the very beginning I could tell he was going to keep it :3:

Turns out the cat is 8-9 years old, neutered, and is getting bloodwork done tomorrow.

I love it when grumpy comedians have secret sweet spots like that.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We're sitting at our kitchen window having a cup of tea and the guy across the street is out in his yard playing with a very cute puppy :3: We don't know them all that well, but if I wasn't in pajamas I would totally go over there and pet the puppy.

Puppy!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

drat it, there are ants in the rat cage. I can't even tell where they're coming from, they just seem to appear in the food bowl if I give the boys anything that can't be carried into the fleece tunnel.

Sometimes I wonder if my house is built on an ancient ant burial ground or something, we haven't gone two months without finding a new influx in the entire time we've lived here.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We have a maintenance contract with a pest control company now, so I'm going to move the rat cage to another room and have them come in and bomb the hell out of the room they're in now. All the company's stuff is pet safe (including rodents, we checked) and I'll give it a couple of days before moving them back.

They came out a little while ago and treated the yard, and I think that may have driven some of the colonies that are normally out in the lawn into the house. Plus we stirred up the compost heap yesterday and a ridiculous amount of ants came out.

Over the years we've had everything from a few annoying ants in the kitchen to a massive cluster in the basement. Like, so many that we had to vacuum up all the dead ones after spraying.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Weirdly enough, a solution of bleach in water will kill ants on contact. Not sure of the ratio. You don't want to use it on carpet or upholstery, of course, but it's good for things like kitchen counters.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Skizzles posted:

Well drat, her bedroom is where they're coming from and that's carpeted. :( I'll keep it in mind for the kitchen though.

I haven't tried it with the diatomaceous earth I bought, but apparently you can scatter that on carpet and then vacuum it up?

The biggest thing is to identify where they're coming in the house. There's a gel product that comes in a big syringe that you can just squirt into the opening. We used that on our basement window sill and it kills ants like it's going out of style.

My husband has a vendetta against the ants, and sometimes he'll be winning for a while, and then suddenly they're back in force :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

They also make pet-safe ant baits, depending on the size of the infestation that might be a good solution. The ants carry the poison back to the nest. Unless the dogs are eating the ants in large quantities, it shouldn't be dangerous at all.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

An observer posted:

If you want to keep ants away just clean all your floors/problem areas with a 50/50 vinegar/water mix. Acetic acid is an ant's "danger" scent marker doodad.

Just white vinegar? I may try that, I have a gallon jug of the stuff under my sink.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Ugh, this little brown chihuahua-looking mutt dog wandered into our front yard a few minutes ago and started sniffing around. We thought it belonged to the folks on the corner, but all theirs are accounted for. It wouldn't let anyone near it to check its tags, and it booked it down the street. I really hope it finds its way back to its people :(

There seems to be a loose dog in my neighborhood every few weeks. I never see any dead in the road, and I don't think AC comes out and gets them, so my optimistic side is telling me they eventually wander back to their own yard, but I worry :ohdear:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I named my dog after a badass character from Battlestar Galactica :colbert:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Robo Kitty posted:

Wait, Husker's named after Adama? :aaa:

He has a custom hexagonal dog tag with his name and our contact info on it, too, and it has the Galactica logo :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

WELL where do I get one and how much are they? My next dog will be named Frak.

Unfortunately the guy who was doing double-sided ones doesn't appear to be making them anymore, and the officially licensed ones don't have enough room for a ten-digit phone number :( If you just wanted one for fun and supplemented it with a regular tag with contact info, QMx (Quantum Mechanix) sells them for $60 a pair.

Husker's were close to $80 if I recall correctly. He's been wearing the first one since we got him, and it's fairly scarred up from hitting his rabies tag, but still readable. And we have the second one in the set put aside if we ever need to replace the one he's wearing. Kinda ridiculously expensive, but, well, we're geeks.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fraction, I read your post too quickly and thought you had taken a chunk out of your dog's LEG, not just the hair, and I was briefly really concerned! She looks very silly, but at least there wasn't blood... :ohdear:

I got an email yesterday from my dad, and in talking back and forth he mentioned that his girlfriend really does not like rodents. She's into horses and farm stuff and has kept terriers and such over the years, I'm sure she sees them as pests and not at all cute. Not afraid of them, just unamused.

I'm glad he let me know, because with a previous girlfriend of his there was actually a fear issue, and he didn't bother to ask her about it before she came over and I held out a big brown rat who wanted to be cuddled. She never acted quite the same around me again. I felt terrible :smith:

I really like his current girlfriend, so I will not be flaunting any rodents at her when she visits.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I stuck a whole small apple in the rat cage. They're more rolling it around than actually eating it, but they seem to be having fun.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Husker's neutrophils are finally above the threshhold for him to have another chemo treatment, but they're still lower than the vet would like. It's been six weeks since his first round.

My husband and I are discussing whether or not to continue the treatment after today's dose. There's no signs that the cancer spread beyond the amputated leg, and taking him in every week for bloodwork is starting to be problematic - both from a cost standpoint and because of work issues.

I think we're probably going to stop the chemo, and just be vigilant about any symptoms that might indicate that the cancer has recurred.

:(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

That seems like a completely sensible course of action.

If the tumor already was metastatic before the amputation isn't canine chemo for osteosarcoma palliative in nature? I mean if you are having to take him to the vet on a weekly basis to get blood drawn (which I'm sure he isn't exactly a fan of), plus the chemo round and a week or more of recovery each time... you have to ask if it would just be a more enjoyable use of time (and money too of course) to take his half-butt out to chase furry things instead.

Thankfully there was no sign of metastasis before the surgery, the chemo is just precautionary.

Fingers crossed he won't have another tumor, but osteo has a high rate of relapse.

If he has a recurrence I don't think we'll go for palliative chemo. He obviously doesn't tolerate the carboplatin well. He didn't have any sickness after the first dose, but he was supposed to have a second after three weeks and his numbers still aren't back to normal after six. The drugs they can give us to boost his neutrophils are expensive and have side effects. And he does get stressed out going to the vet all the time.

Right now what I'm thinking is that if the cancer comes back, we'll go straight into an end-of-life care scenario rather than attempt more surgery and chemotherapy. Load him up on pain medicine if there's pain, keep an eye on his quality of life, and let him go before it gets bad. Hopefully that's something I won't have to contemplate too closely for a long time, but realistically I know there's a good chance he won't make it to 12 or 14 like some of the other greyhounds we know.

I don't know if I remembered to tell you guys, but he was able to jump up in the back of my car all by himself on Sunday, for the first time in quite a while - even before the amputation, his leg was hurting and we had to help him up. But we went over to a friend's house on Sunday and when I said "Let's go see all your friends!" he took a running start and made a clean jump up into the back :unsmith:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

All he does is lay there, it doesn't make for very interesting photos ;)

But here is a video my husband took of Husker freaking out over the Purple Panda video that's been making the rounds.

This is totally staged, by the way - hubby was watching the video in the kitchen and Husker started howling when the kids started screaming, so he wanted to see if he would do it again.

When this was over Husker came and found me and gave me his "Daddy is a bad man" face.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

haha, Husker is so cute :3:

His noises made Feldman sit up and stare around, trying to find the other dog.

edit: I see his fur is growing back nicely!

Yep, he's got lots of new fuzz now. The weirdest part is that they had to fold some of the skin from the top of his hip/outside of his leg inward toward his crotch, so now he has a weird line where there's lots of fur and then almost no fur, because his belly and groin area are pretty hairless even without shaving. It totally doesn't match the rest of the area.

Also, he's learned that the sound of the pill bottle means he's going to get a treat, so I can't even take an Advil without him being right on top of me :rolleyes:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Nibbler must really miss our son - first he started snuggling with my husband, and now he's in my lap purring like mad. Any port in a storm, I guess.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Well, the pest control guy is here, so hopefully no more ants in the rat cage after today. He thinks they're using my grape vines as a way into the house - I pulled them all back away from the wall, they were touching the brick before.

And of course I thought they were coming later in the day, so I'm still in my pajamas :rolleyes:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We had a friend who didn't want to ruin his dog's coat (she was a husky) but wanted to cool her down in the summer, so he just shaved her belly. It didn't mess up the natural cooling of the double coat up top, but it gave her the option to cool off by lying down on their tile floor. Made a huge difference for her and didn't make her look too weird or screw up her coat. Seemed like a good compromise.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

One of my college classmates just posted a picture of her basset hound and it is SO fat :(

I don't think we're close enough anymore for me to say anything, either. Poor chubby pooch.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Does this mean I can have two threads, since I have two cats?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh my god I'm going to have so many threads to keep up on :(

Mine alone will count for at least four, the rats can share a thread cuz they're tiny :colbert:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Citizen Rat posted:

Oh gently caress that. I am not making a new thread for each of my retarded cats. I might think about it for Sitka, but that's what the prim breed thread is for. (Also you damned spergs need to post in there. :mad:)

You're right, a thread about Leela would just be lots of "She made biscuits on me at 4 am again" and "Her meow is weird" and Nibbler's would be "He tried to attack my feet last night" and "His meow is weird" and that would get tedious.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Mordin had an adventure inside our sofa tonight. Thankfully we have a couple of blankets down on top of the foldout mechanism or he could have been very difficult to extract, instead we just had to pull the cushions aside.

That's what I get for trying to wrangle two at once, I guess. Garrus, meanwhile, was happy to hang out on my shoulder and watch Mordin dive into the couch.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Maybe he fell into a kitten pile and was devoured.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

paisleyfox posted:

:eng101: For those not in the know, this is Ayumi's first litter and she is from SFShiba's very first puppy cam litter and their fourth overall. Ayumi's mom has retired from having puppies (three litters) and most of their dogs have done very well with health testing and shows.

They've also been really sweet and started networking our rescue a little. :3:

I saw two ladies with five shibas between them at Petsmart today :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My sister's dog is weirded out by them too, but she was attacked by one at a dog park when she was still pretty young, so we assume that's why.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My friend had to put down her 13-year-old Lhasa last night :( He had a heart condition and the medication ruined his kidneys, and they had planned to take him in to be PTS on Friday, but he was gasping for breath yesterday and they decided it was better to just let him go.

Poor little grumbly dog. He made noises like a pigeon, and he let the baby pull on his ears. :smith:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Asstro Van posted:

The rescue we got James from required landlord contact information and I think it is fair. It's like any good breeder making sure you are allowed to keep the animal you are trying to get.

I am totally cool with pet fees, though I got lucky with a 50% deposit discount for being a vet student. For every good owner with well behaved pets, there is an owner that lets their dog eat the drywall and their cat spray all over the walls. It can be basically impossible to recoup cost from messy tenants that leave the place a disaster and don't have anything to sue for. It's a balancing act which isn't totally fair but that's life.

My mom had tenants whose ferrets loving destroyed her rental house, and the pet deposit didn't come even close to covering the damage. A few bad apples spoil the barrel, as they say.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We're not going to be getting any more animals in the foreseeable future, but I think I want to name the next one Maximum Catte, even if it is not a catte :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We have one of those neoprene ice packs for icing your shoulder, and when Husker was healing we would just drape it over the incision site. Something that molds to the wound is best, like a bag of frozen peas or whatever. Just get him to lay down on his side and press the cold compress to the wound area and leave it for about ten minutes. If you don't have a fabric covered ice pack, use a washcloth between the ice pack and his skin.

It shouldn't be all that necessary unless you notice a lot of swelling or bruising, though.

• Locked thread