Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did someone say bikejor? Why yes, I do still follow this thread! :v:

So Ooka's a bit bigger than Lola, but I went through a couple generations of gear and had varying success throughout.

Starting off, I already had skijoring equipment: a belt for me to wear, a bungie lead with a static tug line, and a harness for Ooka (H-style, pulls from further up his back, good with a shorter lead at a steeper angle.)

Using that on the bike was fairly straightforward: I just put on my harness, ran the line over top the middle of the handlebars, and out to the dog. It wasn't attached to the bike at all, and I could easily manipulate the line with one hand if I needed to, for either straightening things out, keeping it up off the wheel, etc.

Last year, I started looking at rigs, and wasn't really finding what I wanted, so I made one. Using a couple bars of aluminum, I made a piece that went on either side of the bar of my bike, and stuck out in front about 3/4 of the over the front wheel. I used an old inner tube slid over the bars to pad it on the bar of the bike so it wouldn't scratch, and did the same for the hose clamps I used to hold the whole assembly on.

I drilled three holes in each bar, put a 1" spacer between them, and ran bolts through them all to hold it together. Then, I fed the tug line through the bars, using the spacers as guides, and clipped it to the front of the bike. Note that this involved the static tug line being at the bike end: usually that part attaches to the dog and the bungie goes at the human-end.

It worked fine, but has its drawbacks: for one, the bar points in the direction of the chassis, not the wheel. This can be annoying if the dog isn't running straight, since it bends the flimsy aluminum fairly easily. Also, the whole thing was semi-permanent. While I drilled no holes in the bike, removing it was a huge hassle.

Comparing the two methods (free-floating line attached to me vs. line attached directly to bike) I have to say that when it comes to managing the line, the latter (attached to the bike with a guide bar out front) is superior by far. However, when it comes to stability and the dog not yanking you off the path into a ditch when he sees a rabbit or deer, having the line attached directly to your hips is really nice. Imagine standing on stilts, it's much easier to maintain control if someone pushes you body, vs. if someone pushes a stilt. Your brain is already engineered to account for forces applied directly to your person, less so for equipment you're riding.

For Lola, being as small as she is, you probably have less to worry about with being pulled off your bike. Also less trouble from a bent bar out front (the "pro" ones are usually on springs, which alleviates this issue), so maybe that's a good option.

In the end, I think the whole thing cost maybe $10-$15 in parts.

Here's a picture, maybe it'll give you some ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, I recently moved and before that, I swapped that bike out for a newer, lighter, more general-purpose one, so I pulled the assembly off, but I think it might have come with us in the move and is just buried in the garage somewhere. I'll take a look today and see if I can get some better pictures for you.

As for the harness, it's hard to tell, but if she's comfortable pulling, and being such a small dog, it's probably fine. I suspect it's a lot harder for a lower-mass/strength dog to damage herself by pulling, although with time and persistence, anything is possible. I'd say just keep an eye on it and if you see spots wearing in her fur or anything, find an alternate solution, or ease up.

Oh, also, if you can find any non-paved trails, do so. For long runs, running on pavement can be really hard on the dog's feet, and it can be made much worse if they're actively pulling, since the pressure and impact and friction are all increased. Forest trails are really good, and are also fun for zipping through in your wolf-pack-of-two. :)

And in regards to appropriateness...meh. Maybe she's not appropriate in that she can't be the sole source of power pulling your bike, a little four-legged engine, but if the point is more "you can run as fast as we can go and you can pull as hard as you want and oh by the way feel free to exhaust yourself," any dog will do. :)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 26, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RazorBunny posted:

All I can ever think of when skijoring or bikejoring is brought up is that scene in What's the Worst That Could Happen where William Fichtner tells his trio of small fluffy dogs, "Pull Daddy like a chariot!"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Riiseli posted:

Here's one that looks pretty darn good:
http://harriha.1g.fi/kuvat/Bikejoring/

Is your harness a fleece padded Trixie? Or just like one of those anyway? If it is I'd speculate that for a smaller dog that might be the best bet actually, if the fit is good in general. She's so short that a lead, which is still a reasonable length, comes at such an angle that an actual x-back might not perform well.

I like that design, looks pretty good, and simple. Flexes down when the dog pulls so it's in line and not bearing any load, and when the dog eases off, it lifts the line up away from the tired.

I looked through my garage and can't find the old rig, it must not have survived the move. I may build one like that instead.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

One of my most intense bikejoring workouts, I gotta admit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A Moses-bearing chariot pulled by Frankie? :ohdear:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yes, by the animal that uses it. In 3 months time, that cat will emerge from its cocoon a beautiful, graceful, dane-mastiff cross. SO MAJESTIC

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but cooked pork ribs (I made slow-cooker baby back ribs tonight) are NOT okay for Mr. Dog, right?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Uh, without the bone in them? It'd depend on what's in the sauce more than anything.

No, I meant the ribs themselves, the actual bones. The meat was delicious, but I'll be damned if I sat here smelling those things cook all day just to give them to Ooka. He wouldn't appreciate it enough.

I can't remember if they splinter or whatever because they're pork or because they're cooked, but I just wanted to make sure before I threw them out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cool, thanks. That was what I remembered, but like I said, just wanted to be sure before I pitched them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I guess I'm lucky but also a little bored, Ooka just gives no shits about fireworks. They're going off all around us and he's just chillin', licking his foot or whatever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Because they know there's a secret back way out and you're going to run away through it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey, a sister of a friend has this business making dog collars and leads and they're doing a little giveaway, so if you're interested, check it out: http://www.thingsgreatdaneseat.blogspot.com/2012/07/emmi-collar-giveaway.html

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I wanted to let you know that not only is the inside cat now driven to vaporize souls after contracting the Burning Stare from the outside cat, it also appears he's wearing a fanny pack.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've always wanted to visit some sort of Animal Atoll.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gotta admit, I'm curious how he got up there.

Like, did it start with a handstand? :confused:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If I had to make a huge life change or get rid of Ooka, I know exactly what would happen. Stay strong!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh man, poor Ooka. With a new baby and my wife starting residency, we've all gotten so lazy. He went on a 2 mile walk/run today and he is feeeeeelin' it. He refused to go out on the deck tonight because he knew he'd have to go down the stairs to pee. So I tried to coax him down to the ground-level door inside, but he wouldn't go down THOSE stairs either. He just laid there at the top of the stairs, giving me those eyes. I caved and literally carried his busted rear end down to the ground level where he hobbled outside, peed on a couple things, and then wandered back in.

Something about watching a dog try to limp on all four legs...I let him up on the couch, I felt so bad.

It seems pretty clear he's not actually damaged, though, just real stiff. I think maybe some doggy yoga would do him some good. :3:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe the cat can get outside somehow? :ohdear:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Superconsndar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2LGZ93BLQs

We get into an argument in this video, because Frankie was more interesting than springpole. I won. :smug:

That is strangely mesmerizing. I actually watched the whole thing (except I blacked out for a moment around 5:40, weird, not sure what happened there.)

So, is the goal here to create a dog that actually never touches the ground? Because it looks like you're getting down to around 10% these days.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 29, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Probably threw his back out picking up all the poop.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

hhgtrillian posted:

Every time my dog farts, she scares herself. She's not really a smart dog.

Ooka does this too. He'll jump up and scoot away, and then sniff his own butt.

The fun part is that he'll also do this if anyone ELSE farts. Or makes an even moderately convincing fart NOISE. He's the ultimate dog, taking blames for all emanations, even those that couldn't possibly be his own.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just out of curiosity, what part of PA?

If you're ever in Erie, bring your precious corgi to meet Ooka and we'll trade. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ooka's been telling me he doesn't understand why the new furniture is so awesome. Today I figured out why he feels that way. :downs:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crap, they took away that sweet sweet pet island/parenting crossover action. So now I have to crosspost this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvKLA172PO8

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

At the same time I'm actually kind of confused. Why the hell do you need to cull the others after taking two out of the nest? Like, I don't give a poo poo because it's mice and I've culled plenty myself but is this something that's actually recommended by these nuts?

Because Highlander.

That counts as research, right?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Superconsndar posted:

"You breed...the rats...to feed to the dogs? You feed rats to your dogs? That you breed? In your house?"

"yeah"

"Yeah...I found it wasn't as economical to breed dogs to feed to rats."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Give him more bees.

If he runs away, he's fine. If he tries to eat them as well, welllll...I guess let him, until he stops.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I do! :3:

What's the current wisdom on best device for combing out the loose fur on a cat that's just going nuts with the shedding?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shifty Pony posted:

Do you have a Furminator? That really is the magic tool. Making short deep strokes (but avoid hitting the skin) and cleaning the blade often is the best way to do it. Follow up with a slicker brush to pull out any stray fluff.
I've seen those before, but I've also heard they're pretty harsh on the fur, and I'd like it if my precious snowball furbaby angelpoof couchclawing fingerbiting craphead cat didn't have her coat mangled. Urban legend? Anyone car to mythbust this for me?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was actually just now coming back to ask about the coat so I could figure out which brush to get. I'm not sure, I'd say "in between."

What do y'all think?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Abbeh posted:

So I just learned a great way to get cat hair out of a rug (or cat tree) if you don't have the most powerful vacuum and don't feel like buying a new one. A squeegee does the trick! My cat trees look almost like new after being coated with black hair. It takes a little elbow grease but it works so well.

I've also heard tell that wiping it down with a leather glove on your hand makes the hair come right out, I guess the leather of the glove has just enough tack to pull it up/out with minimal effort. Also works great on the seats of car.

Asstro Van posted:

I have had good luck using a zoom groom followed by a slicker brush. The zoom gets out loads of hair, but you should use it outside if you are able because it flies everywhere. The slicker helps neaten things up and pick up all the hairs that the zoom left wafting over your cat.

We have one of these, but she won't sit still for it. Maybe it's just that my cat's a jerk that doesn't like to be brushed by anything ever. :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Superconsndar posted:

She looks almost boston-y.

How rude.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Every owner of a dog with a docked tail literally cuts the tail off first thing every morning. Stop the abuse!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've actually been using an ecollar on my 6 month old child and frankly, it's not working as well as I expected. Should I be using an alpha roll instead?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

cryingscarf posted:

No, you got it wrong. You crab walk at the child and jab at their chest while going TSSSST.

That will set them straight.

I tried that but she just giggled and laughed and drooled on herself.

Also wondering if I should get her tail docked.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Superconsndar posted:

Primitive breeds always look to me like they're just staring disdainfully while standing delicately on their tiptoes ready to spring away from someone that dares to speak its name. No matter what they are doing.

Well, yeah, because they are.

e: Case in point:

ee: Alternately:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 20, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That is all 100% fact.

And yeah, that one up there is dopey as poo poo. She's not my dog, she belongs to a friend, but when I said, "I need the dopiest picture of Cana you can find, stat" he didn't seem at all confused or surprised, and it only took about ten seconds to come up with that first one.

e: seriously, head like a truck on that dog

And heck, while I'm posting pictures of Cana the Wunderdumb, here's a pic of her with her brother (him left, her right):

He is freakin' huuuuuuge.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 20, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Linguistically I don't know why the X sound gets switched to a TS for English speakers, though.

Probably because of the glottal stop. "daschund" gets mispronounced "dax hund" gets mispronounced "dahx hund," and then the x gets replaced with a glottal stop, which makes it sound more like dotson, and then :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm saying that people just get lazy and put in a glottal stop on an already mis-heard and mispronounced word, and that leads to further mis-hearing and hence mispronunciation, and eventually leads to jumping that x-t gap. Like, dahtsun is actually pronounced more like dah'sun, and dahksun would also be pronounced more like dah'sun, because of that lazy stop.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 6, 2012

• Locked thread