Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Full grown Suffolk ram

vv A mature Suffolk ram can weigh 350 lbs vv

Jeebus. I'd be lying if I said I'd never been scared by sheep before (Jill Ker Conway's description of getting mobbed by drought-maddened sheep in Australia is pretty effective) but I don't think I've ever been daunted just looking at a sheep picture before.

vvv Goddamn that is a cute puppy. :3:

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Most dogs are in the never-ever category for me, not because I don't like them but because I know I'm not going to be able to motivate myself to do all the dog stuff a dog needs. Counting on a dog to make me more active than a daily 30-45 minute walk is just a dream. :( On the other hand, a job where I got to meet All The Dogs would be great! I've honestly never met a breed I didn't like.

If I'm ever set up well for a dog, I totally want to look into getting a retired greyhound or two, though. Ridiculously tall leaning-on-people, doofy couch-lying, walks in the neighborhood, maybe getting into occasional lure coursing or something... :3: Or for something different an older standard poodle. I've known so many standard poodles that were such a great mix of being up for a hike or a walk or a game, or for chilling around the house.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Azrael Alexander posted:

One time my dog pooped on a tree. Like, he went to lift his leg on it, but then he turned around and shat on the tree trunk instead. I didn't clean it up.

Hasn't someone posted about their dog that not only poops onto tree trunks but walks circles around them while doing it?

WHY DO I HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

My family is pretty awful about naming animals. My sister named her dog Samwise Gamgee "because he has fuzzy feet!". My father named his dogs Betty Boop (and yells "BOOP BOOP A DOOP!!" at her when she's running around), another Buckwheat ("Because he's brown!"), and an earlier fox-red labrador Cedar Chip ("Because she's red!").

Continuing in the tradition I have a strong desire to name a dog Spojt and tell everyone the j is silent, and the aforementioned Tummycuddles as a planned cat name.

All my electronics are named after the names in MST3k movies; my wifi is Blast_Hardcheese.

I dunno, man. Betty Boop is kind of an awesome name for a dog.

My embarrassing pet name confession: I had a spell of naming all my hermit crabs after music people. It started with Shirley (Manson) and Dexter (Holland) and then I had...um, lemme think. Natalie (Merchant) and Bruce (Springsteen). (It was college. I was bored. And anyway, Bruce was a pretty awesome hermit crab.)

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Hey, has anyone here tried making catnip crackers along these lines? http://www.rd.com/food/make-your-own-cat-treats-catnip-crackers/

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

I could make a Patrice thread. Every day would be exactly the same.

6:45 Breakfast!
7:00 Morning nap upstairs!
2:30 See if dinner has happened early through some miracle, use the highly preferable downstairs litter box!
3:00 Afternoon nap upstairs!
4:45 Dinner!
5:00 Evening nap upstairs!
7:00 Couch snuggles!
9:30 Nighttime nap downstairs!

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Oh my god, I'm watching the ultimate Standoff of Stupidity right now. There's a chipmunk sitting on the scaffolding outside my dining room window; my cat Erlend is going nuts scrabbling at the window and panting and lashing his tail, and the chipmunk is going nuts standing there and squeaking at him.

SO MUCH TINY-BRAINED EXCITEMENT.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Kind of bummed here. It looks like my grandmother is probably going to have to put her old dog to sleep. :( The dog is a 12-year-old Westie, she's pretty much completely blind, and now she's developing something where her legs periodically stop working. My grandmother's own health and mental state are really deteriorating as well, so that's a lot for her to try to manage. But it's pretty rough for her to have to make this decision.

The thing that really makes me sad is that I'm actually kind of relieved. With my grandmother's health declining and her husband being pretty flaky at the best of times, the "who inherits the dog and what then" question has kind of been in everyone's mind. She's a sweet little dog and she's mellowed a lot with age but besides the health problems she's...a minimally-trained terrier who likes to do terrier stuff like digging and barking and chasing cats and being stubborn, and doesn't have a lot of other constructive hobbies.

Anyway. Here she is around Easter, being a good girl with assorted generations of people.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Well, if it's any consolation I gather many (most?) of the dogs people advertise as wolf hybrids are just malamutes/GSDs/huskies/whatever. So it probably was just a big durfy malamute mix. Getting "choked out." :(

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Kerfuffle posted:

Is dee eight cat nip still available? I didn't see it anywhere in SA mart. If it's not available anyone have any good alternatives I can get online or at petsmart? Our petco sucks poo poo and has nothing.

If you don't have any luck, I think I have a bag that I can spare, since I got a little wild and over-bought earlier. It's not brand-new but it should still be pretty good.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

My local pet supply store has the saddest/happiest resident cat. She was rescued recently off the street; the vet estimates her as being in her late teens and she has some kind of abdominal tumor. She's absolutely skin and bones. Her ears are strange mangled little stubs.

Ordinarily I would say "jesus christ put that poor creature to sleep," but they wanted to give her a chance at a little quiet time and...yeah, I can see why. This cat is the lovingest drat creature I've seen. She runs up for pats as soon as she sees anyone. She was all over my three-year-old daughter; she was climbing into my lap and giving me kitty-smooches, purring like mad. I hardly know where to pat her since every single bone feels like a knife under her skin and I'm sure she's all arthritic, but she doesn't seem to mind. The woman who works there says that even though they can't put any weight on her she eats well and scolds them if her food dish doesn't fill up three times a day.

So, yeah. Obviously she can't live very much longer (and I hope they don't shy from euthanizing her when the time comes) but she seems like she's having a really happy last few weeks. The sweetest drat cat. I--well, honestly, I don't want to know how this tiny old lady cat ended up on the street, since obviously she was a pet once and it's probably really depressing.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Azrael Alexander posted:

I see your dogvan and raise you...the Sheltie Stroller.

:aaa: Every time I look I see another dog in there.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

One of these days, one of these days, I'm going to officially rename my big orange jerk "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things." It'll be on his vet records and all. Nice things I can't have where Timmy can see them: plants, decorative stuff, good furniture, food, anything at all.

I am so sorry about your plant. :(

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

My cats doing some camouflaged lounging:

Note Patrice's crafty method of concealing her orange amongst the peeled-paint patches.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Hey, I doubt anyone remembers this guy, but I posted about him during the animal charity raffle a while back (and some people donated! thank you!):

Milo was picked up off the street in obviously poor shape. Anyway, I was visiting the folks who foster him yesterday and he's looking way better! He's a total sweetheart, gave my three-year-old daughter headbutts, likes to be carried. He's got some weight back on him and his fur is looking much healthier.

Scarring has left his ears kind of stuck down in permanent angry-mode. :3: He still hasn't had his dental surgery though, poor guy. It looks like he's had some kind of facial trauma--but he was so anemic and unhealthy that they had to get him into better shape first. And he has some organ damage, possibly from getting into a little antifreeze.

Such a nice guy though. I think he'll be very adoptable once we get him fixed up a little.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Jeez, I never even thought about dogs being allergic to wasps. Is it something where you're going to have to worry about worse reactions in the future? Poor Eva.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Captain Foxy posted:

Let him keep barking at it. The frustration will help him get determined to figure it out; that's the whole point.

Yepyep. Instant gratification is good sometimes but it's going to be more enriching for him to have a chance to get frustrated and figure the toy out. Hell, I'm pretty sure my parrot is smarter than Feldman and sometimes he'll spend ages with a new toy in his cage before he suddenly decides that it's awesome. It's worth waiting a while.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

cryingscarf posted:

I have been planning on crocheting felted pet beds (both the ones like that and ones that are more bowl-like) for a while and now that summer classes are over I was going to get started on it any day now. I was actually showing my parents pictures of them an hour ago. Then I opened this thread and saw this and yay! I might as well take this chance and ask PI: What price range would you find reasonable for these beds? Do you think mainly cat owners would be interested in these? Any small dog owners picture their dogs maybe enjoying a bed like this? Any input would be appreciated!

Edit: this is what I was referring to with the more bowl-like ones: http://www.etsy.com/listing/9978732...h_type=handmade

Pricing is hard and depends on where and how you're selling. Etsy prices run high, partly because if you're asking well below the surrounding price scheme it starts to look like there's something suspiciously crappy about what you make. Though frankly, $60 for that groovy cat pod thing pictured earlier doesn't sound too unreasonable to ask if you can get it: at $60 you would actually get paid something for time as well as materials, while covering transaction fees plus a little margin for error if you lose on shipping and handling. However, the hope of getting paid anything like materials plus a wage per hour for knitting/crocheting is...pretty much just a hope, unless you can become all Etsy-famous and/or go to reasonably high-end craft fairs locally. I'm considering adding cat mats to the stock I sell at the farmer's market but only if I can make them very quickly and cheaply; at farmer's market prices I'd only ask $20. (And then I only take home half because I donate half of my knitting money to my cat rescue group--it's our fundraising table. Donating kind of keeps me from getting delusions of actually making money out of my hobby.)

If you're interested in Etsy advice, there's a thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2735614 One thing about Etsy: selling there feels like 75% camera-work.

On the pet-owner end--I'm honestly unlikely to buy a cat bed because it's something I could make myself. That doesn't mean no one else would want to, and to tell you the truth it's something I might buy anyway if I knew the maker (or just e-knew them in a "hey we are in the same forum!" way) and it was cool-looking. I doubt I would pay more than $30, $40?

e. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about this more!

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 3, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Do you have a spare dog crate, Captain Foxy? They're super handy for parking kittens overnight, with a heat source, so that you don't have kitten-neck.

From what I recall of the last time I had a kitten that age in the house, it was pretty hard to predict how often she'd decide she needed to poop or pee. The litterbox stuff tends to catch on pretty quickly, at least. When they aren't too busy playing.

If she's doing well on wet food, I'd honestly stick with that since it's just a couple of days. They do make kitten kibble with extra-small pieces, though.

Why the bath with Dawn? Is she particularly greasy and smelly?

e. pics! Excuse me while I make ridiculous squeaking noises now. :3:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

I don't think my foster kittens had figured out burying stuff in the box at that point. Sometimes they'd make gestures towards it but they definitely didn't have that down--or they just didn't have the attention span for it.

Sure, Dawn should be safe! I was just wondering what the situation was.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Oh for crying out loud. We got back from taking one cat to the vet and found that another cat had escaped from the house while we were away.

Luckily Timmy is a) completely fearless :downs: and b) super food-oriented. He hadn't freaked out and hidden anywhere and he trotted right up when I shook some dry food around. But goddamn, Timmy. Way to scare me.

(The pantry windows were open, screenless, because of construction/painting and the kitchen door had popped open while we were out. Bah.)

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Silkie, I think. As I recall from Chickam discussions, the breeds with heavy fluff up top sometimes do have trouble seeing--they get picked on sometimes, maybe because they're not good at seeing other chickens' social cues.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Hey, PI, y'all totally convinced me that it is indeed a smart thing to get my cats microchipped. Timmy went today and I'll get the other two done when their yearly exams come up.

The first time a vet asked me about it I'd never heard of microchipping pets--I assumed that it was something kind of esoteric and out there and not worth doing because chips were too rare for shelters to routinely look for. But after a couple years of everyone here talking about microchips like they ain't no thang I've gone ahead and done it.

Good job, PI!

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Awwwww. :3: I was wondering how you all did with the wee kitten. Thanks for the pictures!

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

It might just be too tight for your giant cock, Chido.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

And so it begins. The kidlet has figured out that she can put clothes on the cat.

Isn't it fun, Erlend?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

I think they do sometimes do wrinkle surgery, don't they?

My grandmother's English Bulldog was the best drat dog but her regimen of daily care just to keep her from being a horrible infected lump was ridiculous. Ointment here, drops there, swabs here...

e. Dog's name was Sweetlips. :3:

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 19, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Malalol posted:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=473335846012633&set=a.161896980489856.39457.152876678058553&type=3&theater
Watcha guys think this dog is? Ugly pit? Bully mix? Frankiechild?
Shes rather cute, in that her face is smushed oddly way.

At least it looks like her legs aren't set out miles away from her center line, like on some of the ~~amazing~~ hippo dogs. That always looks so drat painful to live with.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

What the hell is "rockrollar" supposed to be? Bullmasive I got, and I'm used to dotsons and chiwawas and shizues, but what is a rockrollar?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Ohhh. Of course.

:downs:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

I'm really interested in the coloration on those two, that subtly mottled effect. Is it basically a tortoiseshell siamese combo?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Superconsndar posted:

He's only 5...

Goddamn, that's sad. :( I mean, I don't know why that in particular stands out as sad amongst this whole puppy situation, but it just really sucks that a dog can get messed up that quickly.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Nione posted:

What I want to know is why the CIA spends so much time thinking about wet food and Birds That Are In a Tree Outside and Must Be Carefully Monitored.

On the other hand, this probably means that Timmy isn't just An rear end in a top hat Cat for stealing my banana bread off my plate when my back was turned. Dude is just a heroic undercover agent trying to collect evidence. About the local farmers market/international drug smuggling ring.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Aww, saw the neighbor kid walking the handsomest little red and white pit/pit-mix-looking dog. I don't know if this is Their Dog that they just got or a visitor, but I'll be a shameless snoop and ask him about it when he comes to mow the lawn next week. He's a really nice kid and the dog looked totally thrilled about Walking. :3:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

I'm familiar with cats-are-for-women as a thing. Men are supposed to have ~manly dawgs~ to do manly things with, like hunting or (for the huge bulk of the US population) walking around the block and picking poo poo off the sidewalk in plastic baggies. Pets that are just for patting (cats, toy dogs) are insufficiently ~manly~ and suggest a degree of sensitivity suitable only for women and gay men. (Many women will respond positively to a guy with a cat (possibly two cats) because he must be sweet and sensitive and caring.)

It's a lot of bullshit, like most gender stuff, and I'm deliberately presenting it in broader terms than most people actually believe, but I think it's a fairly strong and widespread unconscious perception.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

demozthenes posted:

Once, I read a theory that dogs are considered "manly" because "manly men" (a.k.a. insecure men) want to control/order around their subjects - the dog is a proxy for what they want in a woman, you can tell it what to do and it will still adore you undyingly. Cats cannot be controlled and are choosy about affection, and men who are so concerned about control don't want any more of that in their lives. I've seen the same attitude in plenty of dog ladies, too, so it's definitely not a 100% male thing.

It's definitely a silly fluff theory, but I find a shred of truth to it. People who are outspoken cat haters tend to be lovely people, in my experience.

I'll buy it. I mean, as a description of an element of the weird dumb feelings people have about animals and gender. This stuff kind of interests me, honestly. The whole pet/person relationship involves so many elusive unconscious ideas.

Along with blatant loudly-articulated ideas, apparently, like "It's a real WOMAN'S dog!" :suicide:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Goddrat, Major. Goddrat.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

kaworu posted:

Ok guys, I have a SERIOUS question - I need help identifying an animal I saw. I have no idea where else to ask this but I would really like to know.

I was driving home just now in the early morning/very late night, a time when the small-ish city I live in is pretty much silent and abandoned. When driving around at this hour I am used to seeing random cats dart across the street in front of me and go under cars and whatnot. But this morning I saw something that I mistook for a cat at first, but was NOT a cat. I am pretty sure, at least.

This creature was about the size of a very large cat or a small dog. If I were to guess, I would say it was well over a foot long but less than 2 feet long - unless you include the tail, in which case it was easily over 2 feet long I think.

The creature had a rounded body that looked almost or nearly hairless to me. It was a sort of sickly whitish-light grey color. The aforementioned tail was fairly long and *really* looked like a rat's tail to me. The tail was *absolutely* hairless and very cylindrical, and was noticeably thicker at the base, tapering into a point at the end. I didn't get a very good look at the head because I was so terrified and disgusted and shocked by the color and shape of its body and tail, and the size of the goddamn thing. I slowed down when I still thought it was a cat, and it was slow-moving enough that I might have hit it if I hadn't. Definitely not a cat.

So was this thing really a gigantic loving sewer rat? I really, sincerely hope not because it was truly creepy - I'm still a bit freaked out by it. I honestly thought giant rats were urban myths - like the apocryphal story about the guy who goes to Mexico and mistakes a giant sewer rat for a Chihuahua and takes it home for a pet. Just for example.

So, uh, yeah. Please someone tell me there's some sort of small mammal I'm either forgetting or unfamiliar with that this actually was. For reference, I live in northern New England, in the downtown section of a city of about ~100,000. And this really isn't a fakepost or something, no joke.

Yepyep, that's an opossum! Freaky-looking, but I'm kind of fond of them.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Possums do kind of look like they've been put together wrong, somehow. I like them and their strange freakishness, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Man, PI is turning me into such a pet stalker. I was so ridiculously pleased to run into my neighbor and get to meet their new dog. I asked if she was a pit bull mix and her owner said "no, she's a rat terrier mix." Which...yeah, I buy, but I'd guess that the mix is with a small-framed APBT. Incredibly appealing little young dog, sooooo happy to show off her tummy spots. They're a pretty active family, too, so I expect they can keep up with her.

My daughter got to tell her to sit and then give her a tiny treat. :3:

• Locked thread