Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

So Orbit just got attacked by a pit bull at the dog park. I shouldn't have brought him in after seeing a pit bull in there but there were 5 other dogs all getting along, so i figured it would be ok. I was so wrong and wont be making that mistake again. The second we got inside the fence the dog went for Orbit's throat. I kicked it away and the owner came and held it back while I got O out of there. No blood was drawn but we both felt shaken up. I told her not to bring her dog to the park and she said "I bring him every week and there are no problems" like that was supposed to make me feel better.

We got in the car and came to another unfenced park where a lot of people walk their dogs and he said hi nicely to about 10 different dogs so hopefully he's going to be ok mentally too but Jesus it was so scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

It was my first time at that particular park. I won't be going back any time soon most likely. It's not that close to my house.

She looked to be 20 years old and was probably told her pit was a bait dog. She just seemed clueless. I was too shaken up to say much other than she shouldn't bring her dog again. She didn't take her dog out of the park though, she just sat down and let her dog keep playing with the other dogs. It was unbelievable.

Obviously if I see her again I'll sperg out more and tell her I'll call AC if I see her again. I might post about her on yelp to warn other people.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

wtftastic posted:

Do people review dog parks on yelp?

around here they do! though i just noticed that one isn't on there.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

ButWhatIf posted:

Also check your state laws, in WA if your dog attacks another dog, you're liable for any vet bills that might become incurred. I learned that when a pit mix smashed up Neige's face that one time, and it's good ammo in case you ever see that dumb owner again. You can let her know that if her dog attacks yours, she gets to pay upward of $1500 for x-rays, radiology, sedatives, antibiotics, etc. And that was JUST with a small nasal and upper jaw fracture. I can't imagine adding sutures to that bill...

I'm in PA. It looks like if you are "harboring a dangerous dog" there are legal consequences (and if a dog seriously injures another dog while off the owner's property, that counts). You have to pay restitution to the victim/ and pay vet/hospital bills, have a secure enclosure on your property AND have a sign that you have a dangerous dog, get the dog microchipped and spayed/neutered, and get insurance to cover any future injuries the dog may give. And they can't take the dog out of the enclosure they build unless the dog is muzzled.

So yeah, serious consequences if your dog attacks another dog seriously around here.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The more I think about it the more I'm mad at this girl. She:
1) Had a breed of dog known for DA instincts so she shouldn't have been at a park in the first place
2) Took forever to get her dog off mine
3) Didn't ask if my dog was ok
4) Didn't take her dog out of the park after it attacked mine
5) When I told her she shouldn't have her dog there, she shrugged it off like it had never happened before so it wouldn't happen again

Basically she did everything wrong. I mean even if she didn't know that no one should bring pitbulls to dog parks because of their DA instincts, she STILL should have been more concerned once it happened. There's naivety and then there's dumbassery.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I want all the cardigan corgis, obviously.

Our landlords have a ginger merle (no idea of the correct terminology there) border collie and he's the sweetest and a great size to just lean against your legs and stare at you lovingly and now I want a bigger dog too. They work him all day at their plant nursery business and he's pretty calm now at 3 but they say he was a terror of a puppy, so I'm not sure if I REALLY want a BC but in my PI-dog-herd dreams I do.

I also want a Vallhund and an Icelandic sheepdog, because VIKINGS :black101: and maybe a Tibetan Mastiff.

But really if I get another dog it will likely be some kind of shelter herding mix or another cardigan.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Bear Rape posted:

If I could have any dog breed, it would be a Newfoundland, and I would have two. :3: My doctor has two Newfoundlands named Casserole and Hashbrown, and they are awesome.

omg most amazing names ever. what are their nicknames though? cass and hash? omg. :3:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

My aunt and uncle came and stayed with us for the weekend and brought this muppet:

her name is Rosie and she's 4 months. And a LOVER. She acted like I was the best person in the world and she loved me more than anyone or anything from the very second she met me, and she had a great time playing with Orbit. It was funny seeing the differences between a lapdog and a herding dog-- she was totally not phased by anything going on, just laid around like a lump and snuggled with everyone. Orbit was very busy DOING HIS JOB which was to make sure everyone knew the rules (stairs are dangerous for dogs, under the couch is off limits, his humans can't snuggle other dogs too much, stuff going on outside needed to be reported, etc.). He was keeping his eyes on everyone and if he was sleeping and someone got up to leave the room he'd lift up his head to make sure everything was ok. Rosie would just keep being a lump.

In some ways, it made me wish I got a snuggly lapdog who loves every person ever, instead of a herding dog who will bark at strangers until he learns they're ok and gets nervous and is anti-snuggle half the time. But it also really made me appreciate what he does for us and how much he obviously CARES about us and our house and how he helps keep everything in order. He really has a job, and I never quite realized it until I saw the difference between him and this other dog over the course of the weekend.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The one food item that Orbit has ever stolen from my hand/ plate is orange segments. He looooooooooves oranges more than any other food in the world, it's so weird.

We also took him to the vet for his yearly checkup and he had a super super faint positive for a non-lymes tick disease so he's on antibiotics as a precaution, AND he has worms, despite giving him a heartworm+ chew every month. Poor wormy dog. The good thing is that he hasn't had any symptoms whatsoever for anything, is still acting totally normal, and thinks his medicine is awesome because it means he gets peanut butter too, so I guess it could be worse.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Fraction posted:

I see aussie/husky - husky for those bright blue eyes. I don't know if Aussies can or tend to have blue eyes like that?

My Landlord has a red Merle border collie who had bright blue eyes as a puppy and now has cool blue green flecked eyes. So it could be a BC too maybe.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

mombot posted:

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook. It was a craigslist listing for a yorkie puppy. There are no words.

Thought about starting a thread, but wasn't sure where to put it - here, GBS??? Curious about other ridiculous craigslist postings for pets.

That has got to be a joke. No way that is real....

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Hex looks like she's having the best time ever in the car, that's so funny!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Every night around 9, Orbit wants to play. Usually it's tug, sometimes fetch, sometimes a mix of both. Well, last night I was holding his tug toy and he just would not play, but kept staring at me for something to do. So I ran him through all his tricks and he was soooo excited to do them all, even though I had no treats. I think this is the first time he's come to me to ask to do his tricks. It was the cutest thing ever and i was so proud of him! I went and got a treat after a few rounds of touch touch sit down touch circle shake other foot touch touch down etc and he got even more focused. I think it is time to teach him some new tricks! :3:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

More good news: I drove 8 hours from PA to NC with Orbit and he was beyond perfect the whole way. We're visiting my grandma and he has been so sweet and gentle around her and only barks at the golfers on the green beyond her back yard a couple times a day. Overall he is being A Really Good Dog and I was worried about this trip and breaking his routine (he's a cardigan corgi if anyone forgot, so he is big into Jobs and Routine) but he is amazing and I am so proud of him!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

RurouNNy posted:

Ha hah! This made me laugh like crazy. Heal up fast little dude!

Okay, and I have to pimp my dog's new collar ... She is turning 1 in a couple of weeks, so I decided to buy her a big girl collar. I got a custom made one from Karma Collars and it just got here today. Oo man it made me :swoon:!

Seriously, never been so impressed by collars before (my other dog has one too and it has held up impressively well).

Omg she is so cute! I have been thinking about getting orbit a thicker collar and this may just be the extra push I need. What thickness is it?

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Skizzles posted:

edit: So, I'm trying to get the ball rolling on this collar making stuff. I've done a few now and feel pretty good about 'em. I want you guys to browse my collar supply album and see if there's anything you would be interested in. Matching leashes/keychains can be made for the 1" stuff. I will also be making some Halloween collars soon. :drac:

I clicked your link and it said the page was unavailable.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I will admit that guys who have cats turn me into a puddle of goo, though. I absolutely loving loathe those stupid stick figure family decals on cars, but one day I saw one in the back window of a truck that was a guy in a tie and seven cats trailing next to him and I was all :3:.

me too. My boyfriend has a cat (well, we live together now, so now *we* have a cat) and I thought it was the cutest thing.

Also, check this out: http://menandcats.tumblr.com/ :3:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Our dog Orbit has been terrified of the stairs since we moved to our house last November. The house was built in 1750 and the stairs are original- winding and very steep and slippery- definitely not corgi friendly! Yesterday he decided he had to come up the previously Way Too Scary Stairs for the very first time and be with us.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Amberlyn posted:

That face! :3: He's all "that was the scariest thing I ever did OMG I'm freaked out!!!!"

yeah I know! We had to help him up that last stair because he just froze at the top and lost all his bravery.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

He refuses to even attempt to go down the stairs, so we have to carry his 38lb butt down there ourselves. I guess it's better than having to carry him both up and down though....

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Kiri koli posted:

I don't blame him at all. Every time I come across those kinds of narrow, slippery stairs at someone's house, I wish someone would carry ME up and down them. They're the worst when you're wearing socks with no traction...

I have fallen down those stairs like 4 or 5 times. I grab the handrail every time I go down. I have to hoist Orbit onto my shoulder like a fireman's carry and then go down the stairs very carefully while grabbing the handrail. Our house is amazing but I do wish the stairs were better.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Good boy Orbit! Sigma is scared of wooden bridges, especially when there is space between the slats. He makes that exact face :3:

I love when dogs are scared, they are so cute. But then I have to act like the whole thing is no big deal, I don't get to coddle them and tell them how cute they are.

We throw a big party for him if he does something scary and give him lots of encouragement to keep making the choice to carry on. He is generally pretty scared of things so it's always A Really Big Deal when he pushes himself a little bit.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My dad gets really pissed at their corgi barking at him to herd him off to work every morning (a corgi barking?! shocking) and stands there and lectures her about not barking at people for a while while she loses it until he finally gives up and leaves. He doesn't get why this method has not stopped her from barking at him every morning for 9 years.

oh my gosh, is it just me that thinks it's really cute that the corgi has their routine down pat, and lets him know it's time to go to work now? :3:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

InEscape posted:

From Facebook;

nnnnnnnng. :argh:

Omg he looks just like my corgi when he was a potato. Same face! I want him pls

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

InEscape posted:

He's in the Seattle area and yours for $100. Or free if you're a friend of the 21-year-old who just picked him up from Oregon and is trying to pawn him off on his little sister's 17-19 year old hippie friends.

AKA this dog is someday going to go to Burning Man.

I'm in PA and my dog probably wouldn't be too happy with a permanent friend. Booo

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I'm really happy it's getting chilly outside. Both creatures snuggled up with me on the couch last night.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

Your kitty looks like it's smiling.

I like how your animals match. My corgi and cat also match (both gingers).

They almost match- Gravity is grey/white and Orbit is black/white, but they're close. I think matching pets are the cutest!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I had so much fun with PISS last year! I can't wait either! My dog is lying next to me whining right now so I'm going to guess he can't wait either.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I'm looking after my landlord's farm-bred working border collie today and tomorrow while they're out of town. He plays with my dog every day and they're best of friends, but I've never had him inside my house before and he's a little high strung (due to being a working dog and all). He is also Very Sensitive and has Lots Of Feelings and right now he's staring at the door whining and waiting for his owner to come back. He's also scared of my cat, which I guess is better than trying to eat my cat?

I'm not really sure what to do. I've given him lots of treats and pets and I'm just kind of ignoring him right now, hoping he calms down. He's ignoring me when we're in the same room, but if I go upstairs, he follows me, so I guess that's a good thing, right?

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Rixatrix posted:

Can you tell him to settle? It works with some high strung workaholic dogs (being told to settle = work = yay work!)

Yeah I tried but he was just whining at the door. He was lying down so already 'settled' but was just whiny and sad. I tried to tell him to go to his bed, but I guess he doesn't know what that means. Orbit went and sat in Miles' bed like "Where's my treat?! I went to the bed!" - it was hilarious.

I went and sat with Miles for a while and he finally decided to lick my face and play with Orbit a bit, so that's good. Orbit was very worried about Miles when he was staring out the door and sulking. They played bitey face for a while and Miles is now back to whining at the door and barking a little. The playing was a very good sign though, I think!

Miles also growled at Gravity the cat (very politely because the cat was in full on play-with-me paw batting on his face mode), but I don't know that Gravity really knows what that means, because Orbit has never growled at him, so I locked the cat upstairs for a while. I don't want him to push Miles too far. Of course Miles just went upstairs and whined and pawed at the door where Gravity is, so who knows.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Siochain posted:

Asa growls at the kitten like she is possessed by a demon when they are playing - way more so than with other dogs. The two playing together are extremely vocal, and its hilarious!
I need to see if I can cap some stills from crappy videos of them playing - I've got videos of Asa growling, mouth open, with the kitten stuffing her face in there. Its creepy, scary and awesome all at the same time!

Aww, I'd love to see that! Orbit (my dog) and the cat play really well together and will boop around and lick each other and paw at each other. I know that my dog would never, ever hurt the cat. Miles, however, has killed about 20 groundhogs on our property and did not grow up with a cat the way Orbit did, so I absolutely do not 100% trust him around the cat, even though he's been good so far.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Okay it seems like they're settling down well now. We went outside on leashes and came back in with no fuss (that's what I was most worried about- that Miles would refuse to come back in my house and instead try to run up to his house at the back of the property). He is the most velcro dog ever though and is following me around the house everywhere, but he's quit whining.

Look at these guys!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Well, the working border collie slept over an it went fine. Usually Orbit sleeps in his crate downstairs, but Miles doesn't sleep in one. I also didn't want to leave Miles alone with the cat and thought he would probably want Orbit's company, because Miles has been whining for his people to come back. So! We all had a slumber party in our bedroom. Orbit jumped up on the bed for the first time (he is a corgi and his short legs prevented him from getting up high on the bed- or so I thought!). Miles slept on his bed on the floor and didn't whine. It was all a success.

Now Miles is smashing his head on us for pets and Orbit is playing dog police so Miles doesn't try to eat the cat.

edit to add Miles and his boop-able nose

edit again because this just happened for the first time ever. I think they are comforting each other because Miles has intruded on their peaceful lives

Plus_Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 28, 2012

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

My landlords just found the cutest most friendly black and white kitten on our property. She must have been dumped because she loooooves people. There isnt anything ferile about her. We have a barn and a stream so I can see how people would dump a kitten around here I guess. I want to keep her but we have a tiny house and 1 dog and 1 cat already and my boyfriend is refusing. He thinks it'll upset the friendly harmony we have with the creatures we already have.

We are going to ask around and see if anyone wants a kitten and the landlord has her set up in his hoop house with his firewood and a blanket and is feeding her, so she's fine for now. Our cat is named Gravity and our dog is Orbit and our landlord says this cat should be Galaxy. :3:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

ButWhatIf posted:

I am suffering the worst case of puppy fever right now. I made the mistake of going to the CWCCA website just to browse the breeder directory and look at cute pics, but apparently I'm like ovulating or something because I kept thinking how great it would be for Neigé to have a little brother or sister to play with and what if it were a mismark too and omg I must have all the predominating white-headed cardigans EVER.

No word yet when the rational part (the brain that remembers how much puppies suck) will surface. I mean really though, look at this:

I do this sometimes and then I remember a tiny house and huge yard with no fence is not good for 2 dogs. But I want all of the cardigans in the world!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Our landlord has a plant nursery in the back of our property and so there is always various kinda of farm equipment lying around. One day I was walking Orbit back there and he saw a small gate for the back of a pickup truck lying against a tree. He was terrified of it and barked and barked and it wasn't until I went up to it and put my hands on it and nothing happened that he decided it wasn't pure evil. I don't know why a gate freaked him out so much but he was not happy about it.

My boyfriend's cat did a similar thing when I first moved in with them. I have a wooden antique pig from the Philippines that my grandma gave to me- it's about the size of a cat. When I moved it into the apartment, Gravity puffed up and batted at it as though another cat had moved in. I've never seen him like that since!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

TVs Ian posted:

For those of you asking, the guy who owns Nori's parents is a drug addict, living in a trailer. The adult dogs are fed and have shelter-that is all ACOs care about (we have tried, trust me). The bitch has heartworm that he's opting not to treat, so, yknow, extra awesome for her to be perpetually pregnant!

Just for posterity, Nori will be nine months old next week. So. She got knocked up as soon as she went in to heat again.

Anyway, yay puppies, I guess.

They're on formula/puppy mush slurry and trying really hard to suckle our fingers every chance they get so I'm imagining their litter mates aren't doing great. Their old owner was feeding them hot dog chunks floating in cow's milk.

Who the gently caress looks at a 3 week old puppy and says "YEP THAT SEEMS SELF-SUFFICIENT!"

Wow, that sucks about the owner. Those sure are cute potatoes, though!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

My neighbordog is a working BC whose job is to chase deer and eat groundhogs that are in my landlord's plant nursery. He is very obsessed with chasing balls and killed 20 groundhogs last season. He also loves pets and is a total sweetie although pretty neurotic. He won't get into cars and will stare you down for hours if you have a ball and don't throw it. Also when we have our kids friends over outside to play he will barkbark bark at them and try to herd them.

Because we live on the other side of my landlord's 15 acre property and there are no fences, neighbordog wanders around free. Luckily he is BEST friends with our dog and they play biteyface and chase and love each other. My dog has never played so well with another dog so it's awesome that he has a friend next door. If only there were some fences to keep him out when we have stranger kids over it would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I lucked out like crazy with the house I'm renting. It was a random Craigslist ad for a reasonably priced house with 5 acres of land. My landlord lives on another 5 acres behind the house I'm in. The ad said pets allowed and when I said I had a dog the landlord wistfully asked "do you think your dog would play with my dog? He's lonely."

Turns out the landlord has a working border collie whose job is to keep deer and groundhogs off the property but is neurotic and won't get into a car. The poor dog had no dog friends until we moved in with another herding dog. Now both dogs are besties and I don't even know how we lucked out this much.

• Locked thread