Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Fraction posted:

Some pictures from yesterday's biking trip with Lola. I only tried to drown her once (not shown: drenched, sad dog).

We go biking along the canal that links Leeds and Liverpool. It's pretty cool!

How come your dog always looks stoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fraction posted:

Duh, she always is stoned.

How come you aren't posting pictures of your dog huh :colbert:

well she's on vacation so I can't get new photos. maybe I have some good old ones somewhere

I had a dream I was at the dog park last night and some ladies dog (looked like a Weim) decided it didn't like me and latched onto my arm, so I had to drag it over to her and ask her to remove her dog from my arm. I was remarkably calm about it, whereas in real life I'm pretty sure I would be pissed as gently caress

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fraction posted:

How come you aren't posting pictures of your dog huh :colbert:

ok

Looking a little derpy

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fraction posted:

Okay yes I love your dog. When can I have her.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fraction posted:

I've also realised I don't actually know much about your awesome dog. Tell me about her :allears:

Well, she apparently just decided to chase some geese in a marsh and ford a river

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fraction posted:

No I mean like why is she 'on vacation' or whatever? Do you co-own her?

Oh, my wife is visiting family on Cape Cod this week and took Greta with her. More playtime up there rather than sit at home all day waiting for me to get back from work

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

or make a point to call animal control and make a scene

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm saying get her dog taken away if it's attacking other peoples dogs and she refuses to control it

We can be all bloo bloo about this up to the point where the dog kills another dog at the dog park and then what

e: also because the lady isn't gonna give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck if you just show up and tell her that her dog is causing problems

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Well yeah I was being a bit flippant, it's just that judging from the one example we have it doesn't seem likely she's going to agree with you if you ask her to please not bring her dog to the park, but if it's consistently attacking a dog then that's kind of an issue and should be dealt with, and yeah they probably won't do anything crazy the first time or anything but so I ramble on

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Citizen Rat posted:

I used to think that when it had been a while since I'd had a dog. And then I got Sitka and yeah. Definitely a dog person. Cats are nice for dealing with the odd mouse, but honestly they are little poo poo & destruction factories. Dumber than a box of rocks to boot.

This person knows whats up

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

don't get any danes, problem solved

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

dog is freakin' the gently caress out

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

El Gar posted:

I wasn't trying to compare and contrast dog and cat poop. I was just speaking my mind about the very real concern I have that prevents me from getting a dog.

Lies. You're just not allowed.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I hate hounds because they piss my dog off and they inevitably are assholes with no social skills

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

you're right I've never heard of a dog being able to jump 6 feet up onto something before

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

notsoape posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it seems a little unfair to the dogs - especially if they're perfectly good pets, and bonded to you already. On the other hand, if you're committed to a particular sport it makes sense that you wouldn't want to keep a third wheel hanging around - especially if the sport/hobby takes up most of your free time, and a non-competitive dog would end up being comparatively neglected. I guess I can see both sides, but I'm wondering how PI feels about it?

I don't really think people who are that into "dog sports" really think of dogs the way that most people do...as pets or companion animals. They are somewhat just another tool to use in that persons chosen hobby.

And I'm an rear end but I do kind of fault these people for how they handle this because it feels like another step beyond our every day selfishness (as consumers and pet owners in general) and into the realm of directly manipulating the lives of dependent animals for your own satisfaction and ditching them when they no longer meet your requirements. But the effort to flesh this out into a fully qualified, defensible idea, is beyond me at the moment and probably is more nuanced than most people care about.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Went hiking yesterday with Greta. Mostly along a river that was swollen from the huge storm we had on Friday, but she had a good time and only fell in once (she was trying to look at something in the water and didn't realize the grasses near the edge weren't actually solid ground. We pulled her back out easily)

Not sure she was expecting 10 miles of hiking but had no problem with it

She sat like that for awhile to make sure I could get a picture, apparently

One of a bunch of streams that enter the river. She was waiting for a stick to be thrown

http://imgur.com/a/PIdq2

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fraction posted:

Greta :h:

I dunno if it's the pictures but... she's an Aussie, right? She just reminds me so much of my friend's border collie, except not red merle. I guess she's just not as fluffy as most other Aussies I've seen; and she has a tail, too.

We got her through an Aussie rescue when she was a puppy, but yeah she doesn't totally have the "classic" Aussie characteristics. The tail is of course a result of us getting her as a puppy, so it wasn't docked, but she's never fluffed out like a lot of Aussies do. She's also quite small, and we get a lot of people saying "I wonder if she's Border Collie, they're usually smaller than Aussie's" but I don't think that really makes sense.

There's probably some way to tell from the shape of her head or something, but whatever. Some kind of herding dog, maybe a mix of them, who knows!

she's currently sitting half on the couch and trying to sleep. She hasn't been too energetic today so I think she's still recovering from yesterday. I think the furthest hike we'd done before that was 4-5 miles, but she was pretty game. Of course she found plenty of smelly things to roll in and it took us 10 minutes to pick all of the prickly seeds out of her fur when we got home...and I've found at least two ticks on her, but such are the dangers of going outside your door

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I could also be dumb but I thought it was mentioned that the dog was shaved because temperatures were reaching the unbelievable heights of 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees Fahrenheit) but the post seems to have been edited for our safety and maybe I'm wrong

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Honestly if your dog is overheating in 25 C weather that makes me feel like your dog has some issues because goddamn is that not even remotely hot

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Serella posted:

Why does everyone care? It's her dog. If it fucks up his coat, that's her problem and does not even affect the health of the dog. Even if it affects his ability to self-thermoregulate, obviously she's willing to address that.

This is the internet. Why do you care that people care? :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I agree, the finer points of interesting posting are lost on PI

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I suggest we ask for scientific proof.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a life less posted:

The prick ears and upright tail can set a lot of dogs off.

That and lots of them are pricks

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pretty sure those are actually little bears

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Is there really any more that needs to be said?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The real crime is how overused that loving emote is in PI and how loving annoying it is

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

My dog has doggy-aspergers (internet diagnosed of course) and isn't so interested in other dogs for the most part but holllllllllllllllly gently caress does she love some goddamn frisbee.

I was throwing her frisbee for her yesterday and some guy came by, walking his two dogs off leash (this was in a park so whatever) and his weird pug/bulldog looking thing just was so drat excited to see Greta and was trying so hard to get her to play and she just straight up cold shouldered him the whole time and stared at me, waiting for the frisbee, while this other dog contorted itself in a grotesque attempt to get her attention.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

paisleyfox posted:

I think the picture is from Taiwan? I don't really know, one of my fb friends who speaks Chinese was translating it on a breeder's "wtf" share. v:shobon:v

BONUS~!

A webpage for a online Shiba breeder. http://www.myshiba.com/Shiba-Inu-Shedding

They have 25 breeding females and 5 studs. :psyduck:

dang man those studs get a lot of action

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

How the poo poo do you not notice that a goddamn great dane is in your bathroom before you close the door

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I've always needed 12 pictures of Moses doing one single thing from slightly different angles.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Invalid Octopus posted:

Never thought I'd see someone complain about too many dog pics in PI.

It gives my dialup problems

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'd say it's more like Catlady Cave, if you get my drift.

No I think you should expand on your innuendo

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Throw the ball. Do it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Shebrew posted:

That's a pretty serious look. I'd...I'd do what she says :ohdear:

That's not even her "game face" but yes it's best to throw the ball or there are...consequences.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Greycious posted:

I only need 267 chickens. So that means I only need to order another 259 to keep my lawn properly maintained.....

...and full of chicken poo poo.

I was on a long bike ride out into the Maryland countryside last Sunday, and road past what appeared to be a free range chicken farm. So we're talking relatively small, but still a decent amount of chickens.

Holy loving god did it stink. Chicken poo poo must be the worst substance to come out of an animals rear end (or cloaca in this case)

Superconsndar posted:

I really hate the Beef you guys. I've been working him for like less than a week but by now I usually see him slimming down and tightening up a lot. He's getting a little muscle back, but...he's just so broad and beefy and wide and. I knew this was going to happen, but I didn't think it would be this sudden or extreme. :sigh:

Should have neutered him so he didn't beef up :smug:

Annd a story. There's this dog named Jake that we occasionally see at the dog park. Some kind of border collie mix, and he loves to herd things so much. And by things I mean my dog while she chases a frisbee. He does not want the frisbee at all, never attempts to take it, but he thinks it's the best thing in the world to run after my dog while she chases it, then loop behind her and trot back while she returns it. Then he'll stop and stare at you until you throw the frisbee again. It's pretty funny, and after she realized Jake has no interest in her frisbee or bothering her, Greta just ignores him.

I have a video too but I'm too lazy to make a video account somewhere so whatever

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a life less posted:

I don't know what it is about small dogs. I probably have ten times as many people try to approach my Chi than Cohen (who is prettier, friendlier, and better behaved).

My guess however is that the dogs don't know how to walk on leash. They're, hopefully, not literally unable to walk.

One thing that boggles my mind - even among my dog trainer friends, the number of small dogs who are trained to use pee pads is enormous. It's not that hard to walk down a few flights of stairs, or schedule more regular bathroom breaks...

Small dogs are more like cats, right? And cats go in the house.

Also, small dogs don't pee or poo poo as much as big dogs.

Also also, people like cute small things because they remind them of puppies. That's why small dogs are more popular

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cats don't really think all that much they just do

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fraction posted:

A lotttttt of people use alpha rolls or slaps/kicks ("touches") to vent aggressive feelings toward their dog, justifying it because ~dominance~

I slap my dog around all the time but she just thinks I'm playing. Gonna have to put more arm into it I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

My dog impersonating (indoginating?) a corgi. Also, possibly levitating

• Locked thread