Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

How many dogs? I have 2 GSDs now and its good, but I think adding a toy would be ok, they don't really count due to being so low-maintenance.

Future breeds? I'll start with what I think of as "real" dogs:
Akita!!!
Chesapeake Bay Retriever or Labrador Retriever - black or chocolate preferred
Rough and Smooth collies
Malinois
Cane Corso (in a working, guarding capacity)
Vallhund!
English Mastiff
GSDs 4 lyfe
Rottweiler
Doberman (what can I say, I like smart black & tan German dogs)
Leonberger or Tibetan Mastiff, I want a giant dog that looks like a bear that will keep me safe :3:
Great Dane
Standard Poodle
Greyhound or Saluki
Pit bull

And just for fun, some little dogs:
Pomeranian
Papillion
Shetland Sheepdog

We've discussed buying some land for a small-scale organic, free-range homestead-style farm. We haven't decided on what type of large livestock, so possibly sheep, cattle, or bison. Sheep would get a LGD, I don't care what type as long as it will keep sheep safe from coyotes and wolves. On our homestead we would also have various old rescue dogs that no one else wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Bash Ironfist posted:

I take Feldman out for a 4-5 minute potty walk every 1-2 hours when I'm home.

what

Does Feldman get to run around (on-leash I guess) or go hiking or do dog things? I know he eats anything around and it might make it hard to let him be a dog, but I think any dog needs more than 5 minutes of walking every 2 hours.

Edit: maybe I don't understand flatfaced Bostons, but I am seriously mindfucked that a dog only needs a 5 minute walk.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Bash Ironfist posted:

Besides he's a Boston Terrier. They're bred to just be couch dogs.

So I actually just don't understand Bostons :) When the weather is mild or cool, my dogs like a half-hour of hard running every 2-3 hours. Its getting hot now, so they get too hot to get tired which means they need more frequent, shorter sessions of fetch. We've taken them on 5 hour hikes, no big deal they are still running up the trail ahead at the end of the day.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Bash Ironfist posted:

Well BT's were bred to be 'companion dogs' i.e. lazy potato dogs.

And I've never had a toy/companion breed. Akita x 2, BC/Lab/mutt thing, GSD x 2.

Here's Delta on a one hour winter hike:

And Sigma being way too cute:

They both lay like that, with their nose alongside their paw :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Azrael Alexander posted:

Your dogs are frikkin' beautiful :3:

Thank you! :)

notsoape posted:

Now let's talk about breeds we would never in a million years own

I agree about the A/KC terriers. I mean I would in a million years have one, but meh.

I am not interested in scenthounds. I like for other people to have them so I can visit, but I don't need a hound. Or a spaniel. The long ears + silky coat + burrs = bad idea anywhere I would go hunting.

Edit: also boxers, naaah. I'd rather have a dobie!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Instant Jellyfish posted:

If I were to get a purebred cat for some reason it would either be a highlander

What, a breed of cat called Highlander? For those of you who lurk the cancer thread in Goon Doc, my hubby has testicular cancer. He hates cats but I think he needs a Highlander cat :3: Just one cat.

There can be only one. Testicle. And cat.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

2tomorrow posted:

So I just have to brag on my GSD a little. We went for a walk today and he was totally nuts because he hasn't gotten much exercise the last couple of days (we've been traveling). About 10 minutes into the walk we ran into this frail 90 year old woman and her adult daughter. They asked if she could pet George because she'd had GSDs her whole life but was in assisted living now and couldn't. I was a little worried because he was so rambunctious, but I said okay because I could tell it meant a lot to her and I figured I could just keep a tight hold on his leash to keep him from jumping on her.

Yeah, I had no call to worry. George walked up to her and sat down without being asked and gently licked her fingers, then didn't move a muscle as she scratched his ears and told me about her favorite Shepherds and I told her about his history. She even bent down and kissed his nose and he was just perfect. :3: Then as soon as we'd moved on he went right back to jumping all the hell over the place.

It was really sweet. I'm so happy to have this dog back. The more time I spend with him the more I realize what a loving cool dog he is. He's just never been given much of a chance to show it.

Awww George :3: Good boy.

I brought my dogs to visit clients in the home I manage - all four men have varying degrees of mental and physical disability. None can walk and only one can speak. Sigma jumped up onto the bed of the one guy who can speak and layed beside him, excited as can be but oh so gentle, just wagging his tail and laying his head across the guy's tummy. :)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

TVs Ian posted:

I feel like I'm spamming the thread too much because omg PUPPY so I'm afraid to post the latest :ohdear:

Nope, its not spam when we all love puppy pictures :3:

My dogs are Delta and Sigma, because they are littermates and needed matching names, and something that sounds cool because they are GSDs and 2 syllables. I like the name Juno for a large dog, but with the movie... and I couldn't find a good matching male name.

Lots of guys seems a bit confused when the female dog is Delta, but it seems feminine to me :???: I don't care about Delta Force, its a Greek letter.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

notsoape posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it seems a little unfair to the dogs - especially if they're perfectly good pets, and bonded to you already. On the other hand, if you're committed to a particular sport it makes sense that you wouldn't want to keep a third wheel hanging around - especially if the sport/hobby takes up most of your free time, and a non-competitive dog would end up being comparatively neglected. I guess I can see both sides, but I'm wondering how PI feels about it?

I don't really like it, but I think a person who would rehome a sport dog isn't me. People in the horse world are always flipping horses, isn't this the same thing? Dogs are more companions than horses, yes, but dog sports are (mostly, and I'm thinking about agility & flyball here) for the benefit of people as Fluffy Bunnies says, and its the same horse sports. If the person wants a different, more suitable animal for their sport, so be it. Its kind of sad, but ok as long as the new home is carefully chosen.

My dogs are my pets, I can't imagine rehoming Sigma because he has weak nerves and gets freaked out by drains :3: But he's not a sport dog that I keep for the sole purpose of, say, obtaining SCH3. He's just my buddy.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

2tomorrow posted:

I'm afraid you guys will tell me he's a bad Shepherd. But we shall see! I think he's gorgeous and amazing, and that's all that matters. :3:

No way! He can't be bad if he's a good dog. My Sigma has a weak temperament - GSDs should not bark in fear at wheelbarrows and cower at the sight of drains, and no one has commented on how useless he is as a GSD :3:

(Delta is a normal GSD and I want to do tracking with her)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Stregone posted:

Here's a short clip of shelby getting 'zoomies' in the water. It didnt' really show up, but she digs at the water bites it and then zooms around. It didn't help that she kept getting tangled up in the leash, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=4124101179702

Awww Shelby :3: She's so pretty!

Bash Ironfist posted:

No you see GSD are guard dogs/police dogs and ... vicious attack dog[s] :goonsay:

I'll see if I can get my P&S to take video of the Cool Rock game Sigma plays. He finds a largish rock, softball size or bigger, and digs at it, sometimes flinging it behind him. I have to say, "I like that cool rock!" or "Gimme that rock!" Sometimes I step on it (bad idea in sandals) which makes Siggy yelp and bark and dig even faster. He's so crazy :3: Delta used to just watch him but she taught herself to like this game. I think because we make such a fuss over Sig when he's playing with a rock, she wanted attention too.

But yes, vicious attack dogs. Yes.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Captain Foxy posted:

We need another herding thread so I can post a thousand pics of Spice. He's really slimmed down and is much more inclined to walk and romp around than he was when he was a CollieWhale.

We may take him to do a herding instinct test at the PacNW collie club's next meetup, so I need a venue for posting herding pics and I will make the drat thread myself if I have to.

Yes we need more Spice pictures! (and Keeper because he's fukkin cute).

I would LOVE to do a herding instinct test with Delta. She can monitor the cat like its nobody's business. I bet she would love to stare at some sheep.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Doesn't Shadow need a friend?

She's lovely, and sable :swoon:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Rixatrix posted:

it's just hair. It grows out of hair follicles in the skin, which haven't been touched. It'll grow back in a few months in time for winter.

I've never commented when PI folks get up in arms about shaving double coated breeds, but it always confused me. It'll grow back.

I've heard in PI that shaving a double-coater will ruin the coat. How? I would like to see pictures or a description of what a coat ruined by shaving looks like. I'm very curious. I don't think I would shave a dog ever, maybe the belly like RazorBunny's friend. But enquiring minds want to know!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

paisleyfox posted:

broken ... guard hairs not grow back properly leaving mostly undercoat.

Should you do it? I never recommend it, but to each their own. vOv But I mean, dogs who are shaved for surgery seem to be okay when their coats grow back in, though it generally takes a while to get back to normal length and texture.

Thanks for the description! The main problem seems to be, if you can be responsible and give a dog shade and cool water, is repeated shavings leading to a strange coat and a weird lookin' dawg.

Levitate posted:

Honestly if your dog is overheating in 25 C weather that makes me feel like your dog has some issues because goddamn is that not even remotely hot

My dogs think its hot. They go play fetch for like 5 minutes when its above 20C and then lay down and refuse to bring the ball back unless I start walking home. And like Rixatrix, my dogs are totally comfortable at -25 (but their pads get cold :3:).

Weird how different climates create different behaviour eh??

After all of this I kind of want to shave my dogs just because :colbert:

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 4, 2012

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Skizzles posted:

Whoa, adventure in the sandbox, I think I found what Siggy's problem is: Littermate Syndrome. I'd never heard of it before, it's really interesting.

I bet thats what it is! He was standoffish as a pup but not nervous, as he is now. We had an idea that this would happen, but I hadn't heard of a name for this situation. And I hadn't seen such a concise write up. Its very interesting!

I'm ok with it because they keep each other busy and help tire each other out during exercise, which is a huge benefit for us. I know "better" than to get two puppies at once, but... I have two really cool dogs and they will always be together (except for training, holy poo poo does Delta fuckin' love little cheese cubes). When they were small we put in the effort to separate them for walks and during the workday (one in kitchen, one in crate).

I was worried about them last fall, they were too codependent. It was annoying and sad, because its my responsibility to raise well-adjusted dogs. But they seem to be mellowing out and now they are more independent. Part of what is challenging is living in an urban environment, where the dogs can't go off and do their own thing. If we are out camping or visiting friends with property, they are happy to wander off and do solo dog things :) Of course we still occasionally take them on walks separately now that its summer. There's no way I am doing separate walks in -20C or colder!

That's such a nice little writeup though, thanks for showing me!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Bash Ironfist posted:

True. But I think a chihuahua wouldn't look as menacing as a large breed.

Bash, you seem nervous about pit bulls. You've made comments about them looking like "tuff" dogs. Be nervous about any large breed - I'm sure my GSDs could do more damage to someone's hand, should they so desire, than a pit bull.

That being said, I play this (really dumb) game where I pretend to punch Sigma in the nose, and he grabs my hand with his mouth. Sometimes he gets too excited and bites a bit firmer than I would like, and I snatch my hand back to punch him again a bit quicker than is smart. Ouchie.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

ButWhatIf posted:

Pretty much everything

I agree with all or most of everything you are saying ButWhatIf :) I've said it before in a less eloquent way.

In other news, Delta has a hygroma on her elbow. Poor beast. The vet was talking about hard surfaces and concrete, but our house is carpeted and she is most certainly allowed on the couch. That doggy is so sensitive.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Its ok to have 3 dogs and no yard right??

Corgi x shepherd

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

PiratePing posted:

How does that even work

One thing is sure: that dog will have the Best Ears.:3:

I don't even know! I hope daddy was a corgi and mommy was a very willing shepherd. Because if it was the other way, oh my!

ButWhatIf posted:

Adventure in the sandbox: I WANT TO SNUGGLE THAT DOG.

Isn't he cute!! I found him on Kijiji and I would totally get him. I may be pestering my hubby (who already just shook his head at me) because wouldn't that little guy make a great lapdog?? And also a great flyball height dog?

He's free and in my town a needs a good home. He can't be that much more work when we already have 2 dogs right??

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fraction posted:

To everyone else with multiple dogs: do you think it's possible to be completely impartial with your dogs and not have a/any favourites?

I think its normal to have a favourite, but I think one can behave impartially.

But I'm not even sure about the favouritism thing. Myself, I've always preferred Delta. She is more inquisitive, bold, brave, and looks nicer! Sigma was a standoffish pup and now is a bit clingy, he is also nervous and pretty wimpy.

Sigma is really developing a great personality now and I find myself really liking his affectionate nature. Delta just came to the computer room and looked in to check on us, wagged her tail at me and went back to check out the patio door. Sigma followed suit a few minutes later and came up to me and shoved his face in front of the laptop so I could pet him. He is very endearing and I like him more now. I admit, I was a tiny bit frustrated about his wimpiness when he was a pup.

But I treat them equally. Treats are equal, training time and walks are equal, if I am petting one dog the other isn't permitted to barge in, etc.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I'm Canadian I don't speak Fahrenheit. Off to google... 106 F = 41 C WHAT. How do you survive if this is a normal sustained temperature?! Right now its 10 C = 50F. That's pretty cool for July but normal. My dogs give no fucks about the temperature until it hits 15 C :downs:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yes this is normal sustained temperature. I'm not entirely sure I am surviving. Especially after five hours in it today.

However it was all worth it, because I had one of these:

constantly stalking me, begging food from me and generally being way too cute (and way too comfortable around humans).

Ugh 5 hours? I can't say I feel your pain, because dude. That's crazy.

I love begging birds! Whiskeyjacks and chickadees are pretty bold when we are out camping.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I was drawn for a limited entry hunt for anterless elk this winter! Delicious elk here I come :chef:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Aw dude, that's awesome. I hope you bag at least one. What's your limit?

I wanna see what you're gonna cook!

Limit, hmmm. Its a bit interesting. The tag is for one anterless elk, but there is nothing to cut. It would be possible for me to bag more than one. I could bring the first one home and cut it up myself (a butcher would require the tag to accompany the carcass) and go out with the tag and bag a second. I am also First Nations, and although by provincial law we are told to follow the Limited Entry Hunting Regulations, ie. I may only shoot one antlerless elk as per my LEH tag, the conservation officers do not enforce it for fear of stirring up some serious poo poo with First Nations people. In reality I can hunt any animal in the province, in any season. Thats not our style, my family follows the regs because its the right thing to do.

I think one elk is plenty, I don't have enough freezer space right now and will have to buy a deep freeze :D

Cow elk is sooo gooood. You can do anything with the meat, from barbecue ribs to prime rib to hamburger. It has a mild game flavour and is delicious. My dad used to hunt deer in the interior of the province. One old buck he brought home stank up the house, we had to cook it outside on the barbecue for the dogs.

EDIT: We we hiking yesterday and the dogs were about 1 metre from catching a grouse. Gotta get a .22 for the hubby and get some upland bird this fall too!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Siochain posted:

What province are you from? Manitoba here, and yes, Elk is delicious. Father-in-law has bagged a couple in the last 4 years, and my cousin has a landowner's tag so he can bag one/year that's on his farm property.

Elk is like a freaking awesome cross between deer and beef. It's fantastic without being mega-gamey.

Mmmmmm elk.

BC! My family is from Ontario so I can also go back east and hunt their moose too.

My dad knows a farmer up where I will be hunting, and the guy as asked my dad to come shoot 3 pregnant female elk, because they are such a problem in that area. My dad can't actually just go shoot 3 elk (he's not First Nations), the guy was just making a point. I think I'll try to get my elk on his land.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

So Cesar is coming to my city. Tickets are $40-$120. What the christ. For Cesar?!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Skizzles posted:

I'm going to pretend they price it that way to keep the trolls out. Let's face it, my inner child considered it when he came to Louisville.

I didn't have cable when his show was on, I do have (really lovely) cable now but I never watch it, I think I've seen one episode ever? A friend of mine is all excited about this, I would consider going with her and bitching about everything he is doing that I don't like. But that's really unfair to my friend. I can bitch after! :haw: And save my :20bux:

2tomorrow posted:

I went out to breakfast with my mom this morning and mentioned it and she thought I was nuts. I wanted some reassurance from other crazy dog people that it's not unreasonable to feel that strongly.

My boyfriend was determined our dogs would sleep on the bed, I wanted them kenneled or on the floor. They ended up on the bed. They are so cute, and in the winter it was nice. But crowded, 2 people and 2 large dogs need a king. We visited his mom for a week and the dogs weren't allowed on the bed, and now they are not on the bed at home (except after he goes to work an hour before I get up :3:).

So, I feel both ways. I didn't want them on the bed, then I was sad when they weren't allowed. And now I'm back to enjoying my spacious bed.

I think the sheet idea would really help. If your dogs will politely move or stay at the foot of the bed, thats a good situation to test allowing them on the bed before coming to a decision.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Skizzles posted:

Some dogs just like to nibble.

When Sigma was a little pup he was on the couch beside me. I was wearing stud earrings and he saw, well clearly the best course of action was to nibble/groom this little thing off Boss Lady. He barely touched my ear, his teeth only touched the earring.

:3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Rufus En Fuego posted:

The only black widow I've ever seen outside of the Mojave desert was in a glass case at the Boston Museum of Science when I was a kid. Please tell me they don't live in the northeast. I'll loving cry.

There are black widows in southern British Columbia.

I'm pretty glad to live in the north. No roaches, black widows, cockroaches, or even fleas! But there is a danger of a grizzly or black bear eating people or dogs when out camping or hiking :(

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Looks just like my Animal!

Animal was white with a seal point nose and tail as a kitten, she looked just like Daphne when she was a young 'un.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Topoisomerase posted:

tortie + regular colorpoint restriction (aka the 'siamese colorpoint') This is based on the eye colors and the progression (I assume that adventure's avatar is the progression). Siamese colorpoint restriction cats start off white and darken. The ones with the siamese colorpoint restriction also tend to have deep pale blue to dark blue eyes

Yep, my avatar is Animal aging. She was pure white, maaaaybe slightly cream as a kitten. Her eyes have always been pale blue. She was literally plucked off the street and brought to me, I'm sure she is from the common-er end of this colour's background :)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

These two pictures really illustrate his beefy fuckin' shoulders. Oh Moses :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I love to torture myself by snooping in the pet section on Kijiji (more popular than Craigslist in my area). And of course what better thing to check out than ads for GSDs? I found a really weird ad, for a 3-year-old male GSD, apparently ScH2, for sale. The owner is concerned that he is becoming protective around other dogs :raise: The dog was originally purchased for $1800 and now he's for sale for $250?!

I just emailed the breeder with a link to the ad. I hope they answer me with the resolution :ohdear: I'm so curious.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Skizzles posted:

After looking at the breeder's dogs I think $250 is asking a little much.

Haha, I know. I feel so bad for those frogdogs who are only titled in the showring. Their dogs don't seem the type to be in schutzhund. The whole thing seems fishy.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Invalid Octopus posted:

Nah, frogdogs can do Schutzhund too. This guy was BOG at Crufts in 2011, has the dumb rear, and is SchH3. I mean, he doesn't have the worst back end I've seen, but it's not great.

Oh yeah, just generations upon generations of showring or untitled dogs leading up to schutzhund seems weird. In a good way, it shows the capability is still in the bloodlines I guess.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Skizzles posted:

Oh no, I'm well aware some triangle dogs can actually do some sports well, but man they're pitiful to look at. :( I feel like their back-end would easily roll over and break like a slinky or something.

Yeah, I was surprised because most showring GSDs don't have the drive or nerves for schutzhund. Not because of physical issues, just frogdog doesn't equate to ScH in my mind.

I saw a showring style GSD at the farmers' market a few weeks ago. He looked like he was limping, there was just so much action in his back legs as he walked. It was definitely eye-catching :(

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

My Dog Voice

I am so happy when other people also have a Dog Voice. A friend speaks conversationally to her dog and it seems so mature and adult to do that, to just talk to your dog.

Me? "Oh my poor poor doggy, is your ear bothering you? C'mere my beast, you poor poor beast" in a tone only bats and dogs can hear.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I got the gist that the prong was of concern because the dog was wearing it when at home awaiting a behavioural consulatation, not being actively used as a training aide.

I use prongs, because a single 90 lb GSD can drag me along (standing or sitting) and I walk 2 :smug: The prong makes them slightly more manageable when they lose their mind, Delta will still pull with all her might & strength if there is a puppy to greet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I was being a bit silly in my last post about my own use of prong collars, I will clarify. I use them because I don't trust any dog 100%, even my own, and large dogs are very strong. I was almost pulled off my feet by 9-month-old Delta because she saw another dog 100m away at the park. She is more manageable with a prong. Often I walk both dogs. Even though Sigma is a natural heeler, he will pull if Delta gets him worked up. And Delta is really good about responding to vocal warnings by slowing down and veering closer to me. However, if they saw a dog they just HAD to visit, I could sit down on the sidewalk and my dogs could drag me along if they only had their flat collars. The vast, vast majority of the time the prong collars are not necessary and I actually rarely use them. If the dogs misbehave and pull like assholes, I will use the prong on the next walk. I never actively pull when the prong is on, I only tense my arm so when the dog pulls, there is resistance.

I am working on better response & recall when there are distractions, but sometimes I like the added security of a prong.

Here's a picture of Sigma.

• Locked thread