Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm working through the Rome HBO mini-series, and I had a couple of questions:

1. Did the romance between Servilia and Octavia have a historical basis?

2. Did the tryst between Titus Pullo and Cleopatra have a historical basis? This one really bothered me.

3. What was it that Cleopatra was smoking?

Anyway, I think the series is just brilliant and serves as a really cool visualization after having experienced Dan Carlin's Fall of the Roman Republic series. I got chills when Pompey was killed on the shores of Egypt, just as I had imagined it, laughed out loud when Atia "accused" Octavian of seducing Uncle Julius, but perhaps was just a little disappointed when Cato the Younger's suicide omitted the stitch-pulling parts.
1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Opium

Big fan of the series myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Roman influence was rather wiped out in Britain, and English people did/do have all sort of ideas about their culture being part of the whole Greco-Roman Western European continuity. Just the fact of being conquered by French people six hundred years after the legions left Britain doesn't make up for the fact that after the withdrawal of Roman forces there was a significant degree of depopulation, breakdown of the legal and economic system, etc. There was less of a continuity as in France where latifundia become manorial estates and such. Yet British people, most specifically English people, have claimed and still do claim the same heritage as other Western Europeans. I'm trying to say people who do that are full of poo poo.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The speed of overall technological advance wasn't any faster between Augustus and Maximinus Thrax than it was between 1000 and 1250.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

Well, you can also look at that topographical map of Turkey posted earlier and get a pretty good answer why the Arabs didn't blitz to Constantinople. Not their kind of terrain, so to speak.

They had less problems running all the way to Spain, and into France (but again, terrain issues and infighting put a hamper on things).

There wasn't much stopping them as long as the terrain was land-connected and relatively flat.
What the hell? Tell this to the Sassanids. You know Iran is just as mountainous as Anatolia, right?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

karl fungus posted:

That's a pretty interesting hairstyle, to say the least. I highly doubt that the pigment was smeared off, either. What could it possibly mean? It's just labeled as Portrait of a Boy.
Looks pretty Egyptian-influenced to me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I was thinking a lot about the whole idea in scholarship and popular opinion of the "Roman Empire" ending and the "Byzantine" empire beginning, and I was thinking that the whole thing hinges on an imaginary immediate transition from a majority Latin-speaking polity centered on Rome to a very much "non-Roman" Greek-speaking state centered on Constantinople. I've made many posts in this thread about how I believe the Roman Empire ended in 1453, not 476, most of which were made in anger and not particularly well phrased. Here's a list I came up with of possible immediate transition points between a "Roman" state and a "non-Roman" entity. In chronological order.

1. Creation of the Principate/majority population of "Rome" being non-native speakers of Latin
2. First non-Italian Emperor
3. First official capital that is not Rome
4. Institution of the dominate
5. First official designation of Constantinople as the Roman capital
6. Increasing reliance on foederati
7. Final division of the Empire into "Eastern" and "Western" halves
8. Last Western Emperor
9. Last Latin-speaking Roman Emperor
10. Abolition of Latin as a language of government
11. Institution of the title of Basileus in an official context
12. Institution of the theme system
13. Direct control over the city of Rome lost for the last time
14. Abolition of the Senate
15. Abolition of the title of Consul

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 31, 2015

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Besesoth posted:

I don't think "give the lie" means what you think it does. "Provide an alternative", perhaps.

You're also being disingenuous, because there was an immediate transition point in 476 AD: Odoacer deposed the Emperor of Rome and became King of Italy. (In fact, you listed this in your list of alternatives to 476! It's #9.)

Given that the Empire based in Constantinople had evolved significantly from the classical Empire based in Rome, it's convenient for scholars to have a way to distinguish the two, and the "Roman Empire" no longer actually having control of Rome is as good a time as any to draw the distinction. I don't think anyone is actually positing that the citizens and administration of the Empire looked at Odoacer and said "welp, I guess we're Byzantines now!" and started speaking Greek.

You can challenge the existing orthodoxy (such as it is) about the transition between Roman and Byzantine Empires all you like, but the way you're going about it just makes it sound like you really, really hate the number 476.
Took out "gives the lie" because you were right about that. My list isn't supposed to be list of alternatives to 476, it's supposed to ask people when exactly would they decide a transition point. It's supposed to show that #9 isn't as clean a break as is imagined. As for the idea of historians no longer using the name "Roman Empire" because the state centered in Constantinople had no control over Rome, well when exactly would you say that happened? There was definitely a space of centuries where the Roman Emperor in Constantinople ruled over the city of Rome with the Bishop of Rome as his governor and the Exarch in Ravenna holding the military power in the area. Emperor Constans II arrested Pope Martin I in Rome, in 653, and had him carted off to exile in Cherson in the Crimea. He certainly did have control of Rome. A "Byzantine" Emperor.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Besesoth posted:

I apologize; I think was unclear. I think that your major point is correct - that it's wrong to not continue to call the empire out of Constantinople the Roman Empire, especially since that's literally what they called themselves. But I think you're going about it the wrong way; the "when did the transition happen?" question is a red herring if what you mean is "there wasn't an actual transition". Offering alternative transitive points isn't going to convince anyone of anything other than that you believe there was a transition!

My point in the post above was that if, for the purpose of cultural study, we're going to talk about a transition from Roman to Byzantine, then 476 AD, with the deposition of Romulus Augustus and Odoacer's installation as King of Italy, is a reasonable point at which to do it. If you believe - and, again, I think you're right to do so - that the "Byzantine Empire" was a continuation of the Roman Empire, then 476 AD is just a step in the evolution of the empire, and it should be framed as such rather than one in a multitude of options for a tipping point.
I wanted to point out that things change over time, that the Roman Empire stopped being what is stereotypically thought of as "Roman" way before the 5th century.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

One of my favorite later Emperors was Manuel II.

He was a pretty solid ruler for his time, when the Empire had been reduced to just a tiny fragment. One of the most noteworthy parts of his reign was a giant tour he took of the courts of Western Europe begging for help. He went as far north as England. I've always thought that just the fact that nobody seized the throne while he was away from Constantinople for so long said something about him.

The Westerners didn't do a whole lot to help him, but luckily the Ottomans got smashed by Tamerlane and the empire got a few decades relief. He did a pretty good job of taking full advantage of the resulting chaos among the Ottomans. Overall, he ruled for 34 years, which is an impressive reign considering the straitened circumstances of the 15th century empire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_II_Palaiologos

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

karl fungus posted:

How did the transition from late empire to feudalism work?
All this only applies to the West and is not at all true in all cases. It's just a general overview.

The upper class could only respectably make money off the ownership of land. Over time the rich got richer and the poor got poorer. Small-scale farms were bought up one after another by the large landowners. Also the legal system increasingly tied poorer people to their land or their occupations. The giant estates actually ran out of slaves to work their fields, so they turned the free Roman citizens into semi-slaves, coloni, with the ready help of the government. These giant estates quite often survived intact into barbarian rule, as did the legal system.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So I'm currently reading "Count Belisarius" by Robert Graves. I think it would make an amazing miniseries, just like "I, Claudius", and I hope I get to see this happen in my life. I've previously read "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" and own copies of both those books. Has anyone who reads this thread or post in it read "Count Belisarius"? If so, what is your opinion of that book? So far it seems extremely dry but enjoyable and very much in the style of the other two.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Its been probably ten years since I read it, but the mention of Justinian's name still rubs me the wrong way! Wikipedia suggests the history is off (especially bits towards the end of his life) but still a good read. I thought it was a good teaser for a period of history many people aren't really aware of.
Well, I just finished it. I had trouble reading the end parts because it's so overwrought. It makes Justinian out to be a monster, but he kind of was. Everyone loves that 565 AD map of Roman territory with Italy and North Africa and that piece of Spain all under the Empire. That map can never show just how much human misery it took to get there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That emperor is the extremely forgettable Trebonianus Gallus. I had to look it up. I was able to guess that it was 3rd century work, though!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Really if you're looking for information on random low class folks, Rome isn't particularly special, outside of the fact that there were a large number of urban dwellers. I'd expect that to be especially true for rural farmers; I imagine the life of a country peasant doesn't look too much different in 1500AD than it did in 1500BC.

The vast majority of urban dwellers of Rome, which is also to say the vast majority of people in the state in general, lived in the East. There were definitely more people living a more vibrant urban life in Anatolian City #44-C than in Londinium, at the highest point of the Empire in the 2nd century or any time onward. The Western provinces were abandoned for good reason. If you have certain areas ruled by Rome that have a decent tax base, a massive cosmopolitan society, and a history going back over 10,000 years, are you going to choose unprofitable areas swarming with barbarians that were conquered by Julius Caesar a few centuries ago? Eastern Empire best empire.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

canuckanese posted:

497 is the year that Emperor Anastasius officially recognized Theodoric, king of the Ostrogoths, as his representative in Rome. He was a token servant of the Roman Emperor, but in reality they had absolutely no authority over him. Essentially, it's the year that Italy/the western half of the empire was officially ceded to non-Roman power. 497 is when Rome loses control of Italy.

476 is when Rome "fell" and that's when Odoacer took control, but the difference is that he asked the Eastern Emperor (Zeno) to rule both halves of the empire, which Zeno agreed to. Odoacer and Theodoric fought each other for control of the Ostrogoth Kingdom, with Theodoric winning by 493, and being fully independent and essentially free of Roman control by 497 as mentioned above.
There's a million things wrong with this idea, but one of my favorites is that it puts all of Ricimer's puppets on the same level as Augustus and Trajan but Theodoric's rule? Barbarism!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The East never stopped caring about the West. Especially not about Italy. The reason your "Byzantine" Empire gets called Roman is because there was a direct continuity between it and all the other Roman states before it. You can't slap an artificial name on a state just because it feels right to you. The HRE, Tsarist Russia, etc. made certain claims on the idea of Rome. The state with its capital at Constantinople actually was Rome, with an unbroken continuity going back to Romulus and Remus.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There's another point. Which story do you like better: the last Emperor of Rome was a teenage puppet of a German general who retired to live in complete obscurity in a lavish villa on the Bay of Naples. Empire, over. OR the last Emperor died beside his soldiers and his citizens fighting against impossible odds on the walls of his capital city.

Even better if you know that Constantine XI could have totally escaped to the Morea and saved himself, for at least a little while, leaving everyone to die with no leadership whatsoever. He didn't.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

the JJ posted:

Just quoting you as a stand in. I guess I disagree. Diocletian splitting the Empire into two Augustuses and two Caesars was kinda a big deal and even before the West fell you got a real separation. There's you separate polity. Especially with Constantine going Christian (as Mehmet to Islam) this coincides with a real big shake up in religious and linguistic/cultural shifts. You definitely did get all sorts of people 'identifying' as Roman, especially people living in Rome and actually speaking Latin, or at least a derivative thereof. I mean, all those loving Dukes were claiming legitimacy through the Roman office of Dux. I don't think you can say 'they called themselves Roman and claimed to trace through blah' ergo they're the one true Romans because other people could do the same thing, arguably with better cultural, linguistic, and geographical backing. Such that 'identifying' with a central government is really a thing before the 18th century. I'm not saying the ERE wasn't Roman, just that the Empire had clearly splintered and there were lots of post-unified Roman 'Romes' roaming around. Calling the ERE 'Byzantine Rome' is as good a place as any, mostly because Constantinople-ian Rome sounds silly but we all agree that calling it the ERE is dumb because it's not always East of anything we'd call a Western Roman Empire. Greek Rome is okay, certainly helps that at times the western bits of Europe started going by the Latins (e.g. 'the Latin Empire' that, you know, got set up in Constantinople), medieval Rome would fit with the Ancient->Republican->Imperial dynamic only when you say that my first thought is Pope's using indulgences to build mistresses and gently caress cathedrals because, you know, there's this other thing also called Rome.

Yeah, it's still Rome, but you call Rome different things even when there's unambiguously only one of them. Ancient/Mythical Rome vs. Monarchical Rome vs. Republican Rome vs. Imperial Rome vs. Medieval Rome. My only beef is you do get a few different polities/pseudo polities (looking at the Pope here) that 'identified' as Roman or Romantic or Latin in the Medieval period. One of these was the entity formerly known as the Byzantine Empire, which is pretty inaccurate, but I think calling it just the Roman Empire is silly when you also have the HRE and the Pope in Rome and the Sultanate of Rum running around. It's not like Japan where you've got this unbroken blood line or anything, the legitimate 'continuation' of Imperial power in Byzantium did include a few cases of 'I have a gently caress off big army, I'm the Emperor now' which ain't all that different than the Ottoman's claiming the title. You had these entities coming in, sacking the seat of power, holding it, and only having 'legitimate successors' come in down the line. How is the interruption provided by the Imperium Romaniae (aka a bunch of Venetians in Constantinople) and restored under Michael VIII Palaiologos that much less of an interruption than Charlemagne 'restoring' the WRE after the interruption of the barbarian sackings?
Let me see if I have your points straight here. Essentially you believe that a pure and undiluted "ROME" splintered into many states, some of which started hundreds of years after the others, none of which have any 'true' claim to the legitimacy of ROME. Also that you believe any time a state undergoes a large change, it can't legitimately be called by its name any more. Also that you think that calling one state "Rome" and another city "Rome" sounds silly because you think so, so there.

By your logic, if a general in Bolivia carries out a coup d'etat, I can then decide, on my own, whether or not I believe that Bolivia should really be called 'Bolivia' any more. Also by your logic, I'm going to stop learning about the kingdom of Cilician Armenia. There was already an Armenia way to the north, an older Armenia, so calling a certain state 'Cilician Armenia' is just silly!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

It also helps that the books that Caesar wrote were purposely done in a simplistic way that anyone who knew basic Latin could understand. Personally I just find the story of Julius Caesar extremely inspiring and enthralling of how a man could rise to power so quickly and effectively. I envy his ambition and tact; he was also at least not a complete dick sans genocide of the Gauls and actually gave a poo poo about the common people.
It's still terrible what he helped do to the political system of the Republic. I'm not saying there was an easy out after Marius and Sulla had exposed all the innate flaws. I'm also not saying that maintenence of the existing system would have been better for the vast majority of the people of Rome. I'm also not saying that the government of Republican Rome was in any way able to handle all of its vast recent conquests. I still fault Caesar for playing a large role in the increasing centralization of the ultimate authority in the person of one man. Late-Republic Chaos --> Caesar --> Princeps --> Dominus --> Basileus. That's such a gigantic oversimplification but you can make the case.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That the final destruction of the Republic, which was a largely undemocratic oligarchy of the richest among Roman citizens, has a lot to do with Caesar and was a bad thing. One man rule lead to a lot of bad things. Caesar cynically courted the people and supposedly acted in their interests but despotism wasn't in the end actually in the interests of the people. A better way would have been a Republic that grew more democratic as time went by. But that's a complete and total pipe dream for so many reasons. I should probably cool it with the Falernian.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've tried to come up with further elucidation of the really broad things that I was talking about. The best I can do is to say that I believe that the gradual change from legion-serving smallholder to servus toiling on a latifundia or insula-dwelling urban mob member was, in the end, helped along by one-man rule. I don't mean that the Senate, especially not a Senate that killed the Gracchi and was dominated by the likes of Crassus, necessarily would have stopped that kind of change, but I think it had a greater potential for doing so than the Principate, an institution which grew out of the legacy of the actions of Caesar and others. This is a statement with so many twists and qualifications but it's the best I can do to elaborate on my feelings.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Captain Postal posted:

Quick question: what is the oldest surviving signature? As in, a person writing their own name (or using their own personal seal on wax themselves etc)? Would it be medieval or earlier? Referring to formal documents only (so excluding graffiti)
I'm pretty sure there's lots of surviving things with Charlemagne's signature on them.

He used a stencil.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Charlemagne didn't draw the letters or the lines going out of them, he did the middle part and put an X in it. The example I posted was not the best. KRLS really just means KAROLUS and it was used by a few other fellows with the name after the Magnus.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Here's a better example.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

karl fungus posted:

Why would he even need a stencil in the first place? How many documents can he have possibly been signing?
He was signing all kinds of things. There were a lot of documents involved in running the state that he built. Under the guy's reign there was even a special uniform script developed to help with administration and such. People always underestimate just how much paperwork was involved in "Dark Age" Europe.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

"We'll get our beloved Emperor to sign this fake order dispatching that particularly stuffy sendgraf on a mission up Abul-Abbas' rear end! It'll be hilarious!"

*multiple chancery officials are executed*

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Assyrians were basically the Evil Empire in somebody's really bad fantasy novel.

Has anyone ever read Nicholas Guild's two books about an Assyrian prince? Some very not-good historical fiction, that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

What about the Welsh? Weren't they the survivors of the remaining Romano-British?

Plus he mentions the Etruscans and Samnites, which were still around long after they were subjugated and had to fight a war to become citizens. They revolted because they weren't assimilated.
Not especially related to this post, but I really wish we had Claudius' history of the Etruscans.

Does anyone else have one particular lost classical work that they really wish would turn up in someone's basement or a cave somewhere?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Dr Scoofles posted:

Today I got a copy of Apicius' recipe book and decided to have a go at making something. I thought it would be really interesting to try and recreate some ancient Roman flavours.
This is really awesome. For garum, couldn't you use a SE Asian fermented fish sauce?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Fish sauce is basically identical to garum, yeah. For pepper, Romans mostly used long pepper, not black, so if you can find that it'll be more authentic.
Yeah, I don't see how someone who wants to use the workarounds that are the very best they can do would not use fish sauce. It's not 100% garum but it's really really really close compared to some of the stuff you have to do with Roman recipes that involve maybe kind of doing certain things.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

When I stopped reading, there was talking going on about telling that story someday. I missed it, apparently. Can I get a recap? That sounds hilarious.
Either look at GF's posts in this thread, or just read the Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smuggling_of_silkworm_eggs_into_the_Byzantine_Empire

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a difference in self-identification. The east was the only place where people still considered themselves Romans. The rulers of the western successor states took Roman titles and such to try to legitimize themselves, but the Roman culture died after a while. Also, the east is a continuous single Roman government, which doesn't exist anywhere else.

In China you're also dealing with a succession of various different states that are all part of a Chinese cultural sphere, which share some basic governmental characteristics but can be quite different from one another. With Rome, it's just one state. You never really have like a different Roman cultural state arise claiming to be Rome. Roman culture slowly breaks apart and turns into other things in the successors, and while you'll have people down to the 1800s claiming Roman titles, you wouldn't find a peasant in France in 1000 AD claiming to be Roman anymore.
Pretty much. The Romans didn't actually stop existing till the 15th century. Anyone who claimed a Roman "legacy" before then was simply wrong. There was a direct continuity.

Berke Negri posted:

This question is kind of alt-history, but how different would things be if the Arab Conquests never happened? Would the Roman Empire been better poised to, if not take back, at least bring into the fold the West, or was the whole thing on the brink of falling apart anyways if it wasn't one thing it would have been the others. The biggest difference it seems to me is that the shared Romance/Greek language would have persisted so the Mediterranean would feel a bit less bifurcated along North/South lines I guess?

You should look up "Agent of Byzantium".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

thecolorpurple posted:

So does Australia not have a british legacy?

I still feel like Charlemagne's empire had every right to call themselves "roman." Just because the original roman empire continued in the east doesn't change the fact that roman culture, laws, and institutions continued in the west and shape the present day. Does the fact that they had a direct political continuity and peasants that still called themselves "roman" mean so much? In both cases we have roman institutions changing and evolving to meet new circumstances. It's not like the ERE in terms of internal workings was significantly more like classical Rome than any western state was by 1000AD.

To use China again, it looks to me like a lot of events in Byzantine history, the Macedonian Renaissance, the Komnenid Restoration, certainly, the post-1204 shenanigans, may have been considered dynastic breaks if they happened in chinese history.

I think the self-identification thing could practically be considered a part of the post-empire european identity: we're all so enthralled by The Glory That Was Rome that despite fetishizing about returning it, no one ever entertained the idea that we could actually do it. Because Rome was Just So Special. I also am not sure that peasant self-identification was ever a big thing in Rome- other than when referring to state loyalty (I'm living in/am a citizen of the Roman Empire), didn't commoners continue to be gauls and illyrians and syrians and what have you?

I just don't see a lot of radical difference other than semantically, the eastern empire continued to be called "Rome." In terms of actual development, the only difference I see is that western Rome never again reunified.
I've been arguing this with people almost since the first page of this thread, and I don't feel like rehashing the whole thing over again. I'll just take issue with your point about Chinese history. I think you can compare the later Roman Empire to the Southern Song. If you think of that same time period, the 12th or 13th century, I wouldn't put the HRE any higher than a Western Xia at best.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Speaking of switching between Asian and Greco-Roman history, I think the most frequently asked question is the one about contact between classical Rome and China.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

homullus posted:

As is often the case, the best starting point is already covered by my girlfriend, Ms. Pedia.
I wasn't asking, I was just pointing out that a lot of people have asked about that topic over the course of this thread.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

joxxuh posted:

I didn't know the senate went on meeting into the 600s, that's really cool. Seems like that would go far to explain why deposing the last western emperor was not seen as such a great catastrope by his contemporaries.
Rome still had a Senate till that late, yes. They were even more prominent during German and Gothic rule than they had been since the 3rd century.

Also the Roman Emperor had direct control of Rome after Justinian until the late 8th century. The Emperor ruled through the Exarch at Ravenna and through the Pope. Popes had to have the approval of the Emperor. Most of them were from areas of the Eastern Mediterranean. There was Imperial control over all kinds of specific things in Italy. Pope Martin I had himself seated without approval and was arrested in Rome, tried in Constantinople, and exiled to the Crimea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Papacy

But again, a Roman Empire, ruling over Rome, just isn't considered Roman after 476.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Who am I to fight against convention. Few Roman historians consider it the end of the empire, but it's a convenient break point for late antiquity/middle ages, rather than the nebulous "somewhere in the 600s" for when the economy goes to poo poo and the senate stops meeting and Roman culture really starts dying in the west.
You've fought the good fight in enough posts and I won't direct any animosity towards you. How do you like 395, the death of Theodosius I, as the end of the classical period?

Theodosius presided over a lot of the destruction of old pagan traditions. No more Olympic games, no more Vestal Virgins. He presided over the promulgation of the Nicene Creed as the standard of Orthodoxy and the institution of Christianity as the mandatory state religion. His death caused the last large split of the Empire.

That's personally where I would place the dividing line between the classical phase and whatever sort of periods you want to define afterward.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

Don't forget The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Definitely worth a read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditations
A work written in Koine, in an Empire that totally wasn't Greek at all unlike the later not-Romans.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I think you are forgetting the importance of bringing the Good News about God's only son to the rats, owls, etc. that live in ruined buildings. For shame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Romans didn't really differentiate between races like moderns do, their concept of ethnicity was based on who was oppressing and who was receiving the oppression.