Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

sullat posted:

Basically, yes. This was when relations between Rome and Constantinople were reaching a nadir, so the Pope crowned Charlemagne as "Roman Emperor" as an insult to the Byzantines, who were ruled by the Empress Irene. As far as the distinction between an Empire and a Kingdom, in CK2 Empires are collections of Kingdoms, in history, basically you're an empire if you say you are. So the Latin Empire consists of bits of Greece and Asia Minor, while the Russian Empire eventually stretches from Warsaw to Vladivostok.

The pope crowned Charlemagne as he considered the throne of Byzantium to be empty because a woman sat on it and he needed help against the Lombards and such, not to deliberately insult the Byzantines. That did happen of course, but wasn't the main goal.

We have one source that claims that Irene actually negotiated with Charlemagne to marry, but that it broke off. But yeah, one source only so who knows if its true. Way before the coronation of Charlemagne she had also planned a marriage between her son and a daughter of Charlemagne which she also canceled. So there might have been several opportunities to bring the east and west back together, but alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

I thought this was a later supposition, and there was no real evidence from the time of that being a reason? Basically that the real reason he crowned Charlemagne was because him and his dad and grandpa had all done the popes huge favors in reigning in some of the papal lands' neighbors, and there was implied threat that if he didn't play along, maybe they wouldn't anymore.

I got it from Judith Herrin's book Byzantium - the surprising life of a medieval empire. She doesnt cite any sources unfortunately, but she does support the narrative of the pope claiming that the throne was empty:

"Of course, this [Irene becoming empress] was not accepted in all quarters. Some western observers refused to believe that Irene could rule as emperor. They used the argument that the imperial position was vacant to promote the superior authority of Charles, king of the Franks. [...] Pope Leo III improvised Charles's coronation and he was acclaimed as 'emperor of the Romans'."

But well, it's Byzantine history, so if there is more than one source supporting this idea i would be surprised. Still like it more than the pope just wanting to stick his finger to the east.

JaucheCharly posted:

There's a part in Herodotus work where he says that the Finns are the lowest human form of life. They dwell in holes in the ground. Wonder who his source might have been.

Its part of the Greek (and Roman) world view. If you read say Tacitus' Germania or the work of Pliny the Elder you see the same idea: civilized people live around the Mediterranean Sea, and the further away you get from it the more wild and uncivilized the people get. So the Romans are still quite civilized, the Franks are a bit weirder and once you reach the northern coast of the Netherlands or go past the Scythians its just weird poo poo like Amazons or people with eyes in their belly.

The fun thing is that these idea's do not change, not even when area's become part of the Roman empire and the people living there become Roman senators or even emperors. There is a panegyric written by Sidonius Apollinaris written for the emperor Majorian, who lived in the 5th century AD. He tells about how the Franks are wild, love combat, have big moustaches and even bigger dongs. By that time the Romans having been familiar with the Franks for 5+ centuries and the Franks had been thoroughly Romanized.

9-Volt Assault fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 17, 2015

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Everyone interested in Ancient Greece or Rome should own all the landmark series books. They are all cool and good.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Xenophon is indeed a lot of ''and then we walked to that place for so many days'', but you kinda have to glaze over those parts.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

which ancient culture invented buttsex

all of them.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like I ask these types of questions a lot and most people don't think it's as important as I seem to think, but it has again to do with a translation--I'd like to read the 1,001 Nights. I know those aren't ancient history exactly, but figured someone here would know of a good version. Is Burton the go-to?

The Burton version is by now too old to really be worth it anymore.

Penguin published a new translation less than 10 years ago, by Malcolm C. Lyons and Ursula Lyons, in three books. They are pretty good.

There is also a two book version by Mahdi and Haddawy which is also supposed to be really good, but i havent read that one.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Some spells for goons to find true love, passed down by our ancestors:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Rollofthedice posted:

So I guess nobody's got anything? I'd love to have a nice book, academic or less so, about the social and political history of the ancient Mesopotamian region.

If you've got a lot of money to spend, you cant go wrong with Kuhrt & Von Dassow - The Ancient Near East, c. 3000-330 BC.

On a more sane budget, Van de Mieroop - A History of the Ancient Near East ca. 3000 - 323 BC should be good.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

In the Italian Liceo Classico you have to do 5 years of Latin and Greek, both grammar and literature. I think something similar happens in Germany in the Gymnasium.

In the Netherlands its 6 years Latin, 5 years Greek. Unfortunately the first 3,5 years of Latin is spend reading Latin that is constructed by the writers of the lesson books to explain grammar. Afterwards students cannot read any real Latin, so the next 2,5 years is spend learning that. :downs:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Isnt it amazing how archeologists somehow always seem to find something that exists in the few remaining pieces of text we have from the ancient world?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

TheLawinator posted:

Date chat is great, but I'm looking for an idea for a cartography project. Where's a fun/good GIS dataset for anything Roman/Ancient?

Edit: I mean I say this then immediately find the Digital Atlas of Roman and Medieval Civilization so I feel dumb. What do you guys think would make a cool map? I'll post whatever I end up doing.

Stanfords Orbis project is great: http://orbis.stanford.edu/ although im not sure you can get the data.

Else the Pleiades project should work: http://pleiades.stoa.org/

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

it's a series of certain editions/english translations of classical works

this is the thucydides i read in undergrad, for instance
http://www.amazon.com/The-Landmark-Thucydides-Comprehensive-Peloponnesian/dp/0684827905

they look good, the translations are good, and (most importantly) they've got maps

These are really good and they have to hurry up with their edition of Caesar. :mad:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

That one line makes anything he's ever written worthless unless he follows it up with "It something gossip of the time enjoyed to say"

Tom Holland is a pretty bad historian. He just knows how to market his books.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

This is an interesting article for the fact the graves where found, but every major history nerd knows about Muslims in the south of France. It just nice to find historical documents about it.

Talked about the horrible research PoC blog annoys me however.

I kinda like that medieval POC blog thing. It showed me a lot of cool artworks that i didnt know existed. I have to admit that i havent read much blog posts that get posted there, but the few i've read didnt seem to horrible? The last few are about the fact that yes, some Romans of north-African descent went to Britain when they conquered the place, which apparently is a terrible thing for a lot of British people to accept because now brown people were there earlier than the anglo-saxons or so??

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Well look at this: Official announcements expected on the tomb of Aristotle.

Cant wait till we hear nothing about this because it ends up being the tomb of some random dude.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for some Greek or Roman books. I'm working my way through Plutarch's "Lives" right now and I'm surprised that it's actually pretty enjoyable. I prefer something where there isn't a whole lot of background knowledge to understand what's going on.

I gave Caesar's De Bello Gallico a shot, but can't get through it. Do I just have a bad translation or is it actually that dense? It's hard to work through a book with sentences like:

I just cannot focus on that. I realize that it's probably sticking very closely to the Latin word order, but this is just terrible English.

This is the English text of the Loeb edition, which is still kinda old-fashioned as it's from 1917, but I (as a non-native English speaker) find them quite readable.

It translates the sentence you posted as an example as

quote:

In the consulship of Marcus Messalla and Marcus Piso, his desire for the kingship led him to form a conspiracy of the nobility, and he persuaded the community to march out of their territory in full force, urging that as they excelled all in valour it was easy enough to secure the sovereignty of all Gaul.

which is still a way too long sentence but at least its readable.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

In cool and good news: the Vatican digitised a 1600 year old edition of Virgil’s Aeneid. , which can be seen here.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

sarmhan posted:

Cato also believed in cabbage as the cure for a wide variety of ailments.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Cato/De_Agricultura/K*.html

Well if you are deaf because your ear is full of wax his solution might actually work, although not because of the cabbage but because the water loosens the wax making you hear a bit better.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Every time archaeologists find something it starts out as ''tomb of Alexander the Great found!' or ''biblical story proved to be right!!'' or ''10 tips to become rich found on ancient scroll, you wont believe number 6!!!'' and after that you hear absolutely nothing about it.

Im not sure if its because reporters are terrible or archaeologists are using it to secure funds or what.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Kanine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJli8jcXbM

anybody else see the trailer for this game? it's a small-scale neolithic rts village building type thing and it looks pretty neat

I doubt they will reach their goal. 100k in 2 weeks is just unrealistic.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

You should all also listen to the history of philosophy without any gaps podcast. It is good and cool.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Askhistorians is a really good subreddit that is worth visiting.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For the actual historians here-

I've been studying in a lab tech program in Canada for the past two years and was totally not fulfilled, so now I'm kinda back in the US and finishing up for a history degree and want to continue with it, because I love it.

But this was my initial hesitation to do a history degree, what the gently caress are you guys doing with it? Do you have any advice on how to actually survive and make money? Canadian lab techs get recruited but I doubt any high-paying jobs will come my way no matter how many semesters of greek I take.

I have a masters degree in history (nobody stops after a BA in the Netherlands, so a masters is the normal end point) and i work in IT. Looking at people i had class with who didn't went on to do a PhD (which are all fully funded, but almost impossible to get into), nobody is doing anything remotely related to history. Most are in poo poo jobs like call centers or work for a bank in some administrative job. A few retrained into becoming programmers. The few that ended up with a PhD either dropped out of academia soon after, or are stuck in postdoc hell where they have to move every year for 1-year contracts at different universities around the country, waiting for some professor to retire to get a shot at a tenure-track position.

Like Grand Fromage said, history is a hobby, not a career.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Decius posted:

She gets singled out for portraying homosexuality as something unmanly. Which is pretty anachronistic for a Roman of the time, as long as he's the penetrator. The negative part about Caesar's trysts in the East (regardless of real or not) for the contemporaries was not that it was a homosexual act, but the implication that the was the penetrated by a foreign king.

I guess its a case of 1980's mentality seeping through in the story. Yes, its incorrect but i dont see much reason to place 2018 ideas on it and go ''bad book!''.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Decius posted:

Egyptian beer recreated based on molecular analysis: https://youtu.be/izpoexYN1-8 Apparently not the thick broth-like drink as it was imagined over the millennia.

In the beginning they said they made beer because water wasn't drinkable. That is of course completely false, and I find it shameful that an institute like the British museum spreads such nonsense.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

alexander wasn't greek either

I've got a Greek friend, who is trained as a classicist, who refuses to talk about Alexander the Great and especially the question of whether or not he is Greek. Its a really touchy subject.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Tunicate posted:

To continue the analogy, archaeologists then dug up a bunch of WWII era japanese graveyards and found they were full of spectacles, buck-toothed skulls, and copies of To Serve Man, but people still argued it was just a coincidence

You can read the paper directly here: https://search.proquest.com/docview/1977220904/fulltextPDF/1FF892CFB6D24947PQ/1?accountid=14244

They refute that theory pretty convincingly - Smith's arguments are basically wishful thinking.

That link doesn’t work, doesn’t even show the article name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

quote:

The Roman empire rose in the year 50 B.C. with the conquest of the Eastern Mediterranean. Rome was a new world power with vast ambitions, and its early history is one of dynastic rivalry between two principal rulers – Pompey the Elder and Severus the Magnificent. Rome was defeated and annexed in 54 B.C. – by Heraclius the son of Tiberius, also a grandson of Julius Caesar, who defeated Heraclius' ally, Marcus Octavius. Although Pompey was deposed by the victorious Octavius in 56, Augustus became emperor and restored the Republic to Rome. In 62, the Roman Legions defeated the Parthians, who were advancing on Rome's western shores. The Romans won the civil war, the war at the Peloponnesus and their victory in the Second Punic War, defeating the enemy at Thermopylae. They defeated Parthian armies and conquered the area south of the Black Sea by the year 106.

In 120 B.C., the army of Alexander the Great invaded the Roman Empire to challenge Roman law

Makes sense.