Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I think you mean Klaudius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

How! posted:

Going through my dads coin collection- thought this thread might appreciate this!

Yes, that is obviously Athena, but I didn't think that RVs had been invented yet, and that owl definitely doesn't have one.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Sounds like an 80s action show

I would watch the hell out of a show about Re solving crimes in the underworld

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

CrypticFox posted:

For example, Eric Cline originally planned to name his book, which was discussed in this thread recently, 1186 BC, before changing his mind to 1177 BC, since in the 12th century BCE we can only figure out correspondences to a 5-10 year window of accuracy.

Should've just called it ~1186 BC and called it a day

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

School of How posted:

So I looked into this and came across this link: https://historiarex.com/e/en/77-bur-sagale-eclipse

Its not so cut and dry. First off, the word they used to describe the eclipse translates to "twisted sun". I guess you could say thats an eclipse, but it could also be something else. Also eclipses occur too often to acurately match ancient documents. The link I posted even mentions another eclipse happening in 791 that could also be the eclipse mention in the text (assuming it's even referring to an eclipse in the first place). There was also multiple eclipses that happened in the 800s, 900s, 600s, 500s, BC also.

This is why I think "written dates" are more accurate and interesting than "historian derived dates".

You're not the same guy who didn't think hieroglyphic translations were real are you?