Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

unless astral has fixed a lot of ramshackle functionality in the past couple of years, it is almost certainly possible to make a thread start at page -5000, but you would have consequences like an old-fashioned critical success/failure chart from rolemaster or w/e

on a roll of 4, every thread now begins at p -5000
on a roll of 13, every thread (except threads in coupons) becomes exactly 5000pp long. threads will be truncated if longer, or filled w empty posts to create new pages if shorter
on a roll of 20, every post on the forums is now part of one giant thread, the pages of which alternate 5000 and -5000 as page numbers. if a user clicks the page dropdown to navigate, roll on the unexpected technical interactions chart for an additional effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

in the americas folks just never stopped calling them serpents and snakes, but there are sinuous reptiles of strange power all over

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the sea peoples

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

every goddamn day

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the finest roman artifact is the dderidex class warbird, designed by andrew probert

https://twitter.com/ArtofTrek/status/1295736191334187009

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone want bluesky invite codes?

hawk yr wares elsewhere, devil. this is a place of quiet virtue

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That’s a jew specific thing. The temple tax was paid at sacrifice time, but they couldn’t take pagan Roman coins, so you’d swap for jewish coins.

Jesus was pissed because they were essentially charging an exorbitant fee instead of doing a 1:1 exchange.

that is an ambitious reading of the text

https://bible.oremus.org/?ql=562244121 posted:

The Passover of the Jews was near, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple he found people selling cattle, sheep, and doves, and the money-changers seated at their tables. Making a whip of cords, he drove all of them out of the temple, both the sheep and the cattle. He also poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. He told those who were selling the doves, ‘Take these things out of here! Stop making my Father’s house a market-place!’ His disciples remembered that it was written, ‘Zeal for your house will consume me.’ The Jews then said to him, ‘What sign can you show us for doing this?’ Jesus answered them, ‘Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.’ The Jews then said, ‘This temple has been under construction for forty-six years, and will you raise it up in three days?’ But he was speaking of the temple of his body. After he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this; and they believed the scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken.

it is plainly about the temple being recontextualized socially from: a sacred place for holy activities, to a social nexus around which have accreted traders and other everyday marketplace poo poo

the part where he says “stop making my father’s house a marketplace” is like the thesis of the entire anecdote

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ive heard that roko’s basilica is haunting and unforgettable

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

It’s maybe the best opera ever

but this exists

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

skasion posted:

Podcasters should begin to use meter and epithet to establish mnemonic dominance over their podcasting competition

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

and to this day, if you visit his homeland of big greek place, you can stand in the ruins of eureeka’s castle and contemplate all of the incredible bathing he did

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

Checkmate, Atenists

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

they would call it “microsoft forty”

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

what if augustus had youtube

I HAVE IRRUMATED VBER CHARIOTEER??

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i pronounce it in the normal way: “commander-in-chief erotic”

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

If only someone had written a book on the Trinity so you could find out.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

maybe we can just have a general airing of grievances about eliade because this seems like it is feeling around the edges of that

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

the better one is Ted Cruz's dad

bernie sanders is his dad

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

history falls into three periods: sword times, gun times, and in the transition between them you have a variety of interesting hats

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Orbs posted:

The whole dark ages/renaissance/early modern/modern terminology sequence is pure propaganda, convincing people that society inevitably progresses forward (forward toward the current status quo of course).

over a long enough timeline, all societies trend toward temporarily wearing interesting hats

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

glad to encounter a fellow ritually pure interpreter of omens

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

really helps you understand why the assamite antediluvian embraced him

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

fine fine but we are missing the most important aspect here: enheduanna is extremely rad

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Germans and the Gauls are not the same. The Gauls were a Celtic people, and definitely not as primitive as Tacitus is making the Germans out to be. Its reasonably likely that the Romans get mail armor, the gladius, the scutum, basically all the "standard" legionary kit, by copying what the Gauls did.

all of this is just what Big Gaul wants people to believe

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Considering prehistory is littered with the remnants of archaic homo sapiens who became extinct due to climactic shifts, hunter gathering is extremely vulnerable to climactic shifts.

this is somewhat tautological—we wouldnt consider it a climax if it didnt take place shortly before their final denouement

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Definitely read 1491 and 1493. I know nothing of Beyond Germs.

theyre the seed from which you grow beyond meats

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

asserting that a god or set of gods is/are The Same One across multiple religions presupposes an objective, recognizable nature or reality of the god(s) in question—that there is a specific thing receiving worship, and these myriad folks are all aiming at the same one

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the idea of monotheïsm/ploytheïsm as distinct and knowable aspects of a belief system or culture—that this became so widespread and unquestioned is to me the weirder, more fundamentally transformative thing. know who believes in an ultimate source of all reality??? a whole buncha peoples!!! a lot of them have names for it and impute some character, or at least moral preference, to it!!!! and everything else in reality, including many supernatural entities, is/are existentially downstream from that ultimate reality. “our encompassing reality and its divine servants and doings are monotheïsm and angels and miracles; their encompassing reality and its divine servants and doings are polytheïsm and magic” is not the sorta neutral position that it is uncritically taken to be by [gestures expansively around]

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

FishFood posted:

E: Quote is not edit

actually both quote and edit worship the same god

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Orbs posted:

I'm happy to take this (quite interesting!) discussion over to the religion thread since that may be more appropriate, but I did want to first mention that this is a pretty good point too, that I'm taking some time to sit with and process. I think I largely agree with this sentiment.

i should mention that judaism has historically contended against this, w communities having to manage angel-veneration to the point that metatron was known as “the lesser yhvh”. this led to a bias against named angels (which is one of the reasons that tobit, the funniest book in the christian old testament, is not part of actual Hebrew scripture)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

if you want a rollicking tale of raphael, an angel/possible ninja turtle(?? unclear in text) helping a guy catch fish to cure blindness caused by a bird making GBS threads too hard, you want to read tobit

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

mme la guillotine did nothing wrong

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

do young ghosts have to first work as a diagram apprentice and then journeyghost of diagrams before they get to fully enjoy the divination-resistant foul dreams trade

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Tunicate posted:

The existence of a state is predicated upon securing the power to hurt and kill people.

so this is why massachusetts is a commonwealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Well remember his diary is in shorthand already, so the MS is not open-legible in the first place. The best reading of I've seen his use of Spanish/French/Italian words for sex is that it's a style/self-image/sophistication thing, like using French words for cuisine (cuisine!) to make it more fashionable - one scholar put it something like "it's not shame - he's dressing up his sexuality in a little italian hat"

super mario sexual odyssey