Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

two fish posted:

On the topic of Egypt, did they have philosophers or other big thinkers similar to what you would have seen in Greece? Did any of their writings survive?

Here's an article called "The Radical Philosophy of Egypt: Forget God and Family, Write!"

quote:

New research indicates that Plato and Aristotle were right: Philosophy and the term “love of wisdom” hail from Egypt.

A remarkable example of classical Egyptian philosophy is found in a 3,200-year-old text named “The Immortality of Writers.” This skeptical, rationalistic, and revolutionary manuscript was discovered during excavations in the 1920s, in the ancient scribal village of Deir El-Medina, across the Nile from Luxor, some 400 miles up the river from Cairo. Fittingly, this intellectual village was originally known as Set Maat: “Place of Truth.”

quote:

When it comes to writing, the Egyptian texts are “often consciously intellectual, making abundant use of wordplay through homophones and homonyms, in which the Egyptian language is particularly rich,” as Wilkinson underscores. Metaphors, idioms, and epigrammatic utterances are some of the other literary techniques applied.

Hence, it should come as no surprise that not only the oldest but also some of the most original ancient philosophical texts in writing stem from Egypt. A similar point was also made by the foremost of the Greek philosophers: Isocrates (b. 436 BCE) states, in Busiris, that “all men agree the Egyptians are the healthiest and most long of life among men; and then for the soul they introduced philosophy’s training…”

Isocrates was 16 years Plato’s senior, a founder of the rhetoric school in Athens, and he declared that Greeks writers traveled to Egypt to seek knowledge. One of them was Pythagoras of Samos who “was first to bring to the Greeks all philosophy.”

These Greek descriptions of Egypt have often been disregarded in the past couple of hundred years. But the scholarship of the 21st century has opened up a new possibility: the founding Greek word philosophos, lover of wisdom, is itself a borrowing from and translation of the Egyptian concept mer-rekh (mr-rḫ) which literally means “lover of wisdom,” or knowledge.

As far as surviving texts, "Dispute between a man and his Ba" from the Middle Kingdom is mentioned in there; here's a transcription of that one, original language included.

Language and rhetoric as a whole were enormously important. Appropriate utilization of effective rhetoric was indeed an entire religious tenet, as Koramei pointed out last page: in the same way philosophy and language could express worldly truths they were seen to express mystic and cosmic truth as well and thereby guided an individual life. The greater a person's philosophical mastery, the greater their ability to understand and create action in accordance with ineffable truth, and the closer they were to the universal Divine.

Here's a whole paper on Egyptian rhetoric as a religious principle that might interest you, though not a public source: Edward Karshner's "Thought, Utterance, Power"

edit: that abstract leans heavily on the word "magic" but I promise the paper covers more than just that :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

euphronius posted:

The library of Alexandria was probably one of the most important centers for big brains for hundreds of years

Judgy Fucker posted:

Well yeah, I inferred that poster was asking more about philosophers from the (more-) indigenous population and culture of Egypt.

I was thinking about the Library today, which while yes built during the Ptolemaic era probably had a decent portion of its 400,000 scrolls comprised of works by native Egyptian thinkers, and came across this Wikipedia tidbit I enjoyed

quote:

The first recorded head librarian was Zenodotus of Ephesus (lived c. 325–c. 270 BC). [...] Zenodotus is known to have written a glossary of rare and unusual words, which was organized in alphabetical order, making him the first person known to have employed alphabetical order as a method of organization.Since the collection at the Library of Alexandria seems to have been organized in alphabetical order by the first letter of the author's name from very early, Casson concludes that it is highly probable that Zenodotus was the one who organized it in this way.

World first alphabetizers! That's fun!

Though full disclosure I guess,

quote:

Zenodotus' system of alphabetization, however, only used the first letter of the word and it was not until the second century AD that anyone is known to have applied the same method of alphabetization to the remaining letters of the word.

Still. Nice.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EricBauman posted:

Maybe Zenodotus alphabetized the collection because he was an insecure guy who wanted his own books to be found last

(Yes, I know zeta is pretty early in the Greek alphabet, so this joke only works if you mistakenly assume he did it in Latin)

:lmao: I had a similar thought, so your joke gets a pass from me.

Nessus posted:

Obviously it's A B and so on; if it was Delta Gamma Alpha Beta we'd call it the deltagam.

:hmmyes:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

that Wiktionary page posted:

An alternative related idea is that elementum was borrowed into Latin from a Semitic term (probably via Egyptian) halaḥama

I Googled that last word and found something related:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/first-written-record-of-semitic-alphabet-from-15th-century-bce-found-in-egypt/amp/

First written record of Semitic alphabet, from 15th century BCE, found in Egypt posted:

On one side of the flake is Schneider’s recent discovery: the transliteration into cursive Egyptian writing of the sounds that signify the beginnings of today’s Hebrew alphabet (Aleph, Bet, Gimel). On the other, a contemporary, though now lesser-known letter order, called “Halaḥam,” which was deciphered in 2015, on the same limestone flake, by Leiden University’s Dr. Ben Haring.

quote:

According to Hebrew University’s head of Egyptology, Prof. Orly Goldwasser, the origins of the Semitic alphabet came from Canaanite quarry workers at the Serabit el-Khadim site, who, while experts in extracting the precious blue-green stone, were illiterate.

After enviously watching their Egyptian colleagues worshipfully engraving their devotion to their gods through beautiful hieroglyphs, around 1800 BCE these workers decided to adapt the 1,000-odd Egyptian characters into phonetic symbols and essentially invented our alphabet, says Goldwasser.

Thus, Aleph, today the first letter of the alphabet, was named after their primary god, Aluf (meaning bull in Canaanite), and symbolized by an ox head. For the sound “B,” they used a house or bayit, explains Goldwasser, in a video that accompanied an Israel Museum exhibit.

I thought this all very relevant/interesting and that you might find it interesting too, but was on the fence about posting it lest I inadvertently make myself some sort of ancient Egypt grammar facts gimmickposter in this thread. But then I got to this bit

quote:

What exactly is on the ostracon?

Aleph is for ‘elta (lizard), Bet is for bibiya (snail), and Gimel is for grr (pigeon), according to Schneider’s new decoding of a side of the limestone flake.

and now I am posting because I am pretty outraged we don't live in a modernity where the third letter of our alphabet is "pigeon". Instead we get what, "c"?

We were cheated.

Cheated.

Look at that. Ridiculous. Fully deserves third place in an alphabet.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 22, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh absolutely. But I was thinking about everything that was destroyed with the loss of that library and the Serapeum, and with the Ptolemies having spent centuries aggressively pursuing scrolls with which to fill them -- the older the better -- a significant portion of Egyptian philosophical work must have been lost. To tie back into two fish's original question the other day.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh hell yes. I love Teachings of Ptahhotep. Thank you!! :buddy:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sorry. I usually lurk because I am phone posting and putting together quotes and citations can be a challenge :shobon: but this topic interests me.

A citation for my mention of the library Serapeum

quote:

The Serapeum of Alexandria in the Ptolemaic Kingdom was an ancient Greek temple built by Ptolemy III Euergetes (reigned 246–222 BC) and dedicated to Serapis, who was made the protector of Alexandria. There are also signs of Harpocrates. It has been referred to as the daughter of the Library of Alexandria. The site has been heavily plundered.

And Wikipedia quote on the Ptolemies' scroll hunting

quote:

The Ptolemaic rulers intended the Library to be a collection of all knowledge and they worked to expand the Library's collections through an aggressive and well-funded policy of book purchasing. They dispatched royal agents with large amounts of money and ordered them to purchase and collect as many texts as they possibly could, about any subject and by any author. Older copies of texts were favored over newer ones, since it was assumed that older copies had undergone less copying and that they were therefore more likely to more closely resemble what the original author had written.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EricBauman posted:

Really cool that that weird thing my high school teacher told me in 1998 was actually more or less confirmed by a new translation in 2015!

:buddy::hf::buddy:

Tulip posted:

This goes so hard that I almost want a tattoo of it.

The thing about the Egyptian teachings translations is that they are translations, so it's kind of a grab bag of quality when you look up sources in that regard. That's part of why I didn't post sources and citations for the Maxims of Ptahhotep earlier -- I resonate strongly with a lot of the moral and ethical guidelines within, but my understanding of them is amalgamated from a lot of different translations I have encountered over years in order to try to grasp the essence of the teachings rather than idiosyncrasies of any one or two individual translations. It's a pretty long work put together from three or four Middle Kingdom papyri and, as I say, translated in ways that can vary pretty significantly in sections.

For example, here is a complete translation of the Maxims of Ptahhotep someone put together:
https://www.ganino.com/anteanus/the_maxims_of_ptahhotep

quote:

Beginning with a complaint about getting old, The Maxims of Ptahhotep flows seamlessly between rules about civil obedience and social structure to those regarding personal relationships and sex. Crediting his wisdom and inspiration to a god, Ptahhotep ends his writing discussing his long life (110 years), his pleasure in doing Maat (the ancient Egyptian code of righteousness) for the king, and his desire to see his son continue his legacy of good works.

One of the sections of which I am particularly fond, in this translation, is as follows:

quote:

Great is Ma'at, and its foundation is firmly established;
It has not been shaken since the time of Osiris,
And he who violates the laws must be punished.
In the eyes of the covetous man it goes unnoticed
That wealth can be lost through dishonesty,
And that wrongdoing does not result in success.
He says, I will procure (wealth) for myself.' He does not say, 'I will procure (wealth) through my diligence.'
But in the long run it is Ma'at which endures,
And an (honest) man may state: 'This is my ancestral property.'

Here is that same passage as rendered by Henri Frankfort and cited on the Wikipedia page for ma'at

quote:

Maat is good and its worth is lasting.
It has not been disturbed since the day of its creator,
whereas he who transgresses its ordinances is punished.
It lies as a path in front even of him who knows nothing.
Wrongdoing has never yet brought its venture to port.
It is true that evil may gain wealth but the strength of truth is that it lasts;
a man can say: "It was the property of my father."

But, translation caveats provided, in relation specifically to you liking the quote about it being a good thing to share bread with hungry people -- I like that one a lot too.

Carol Lipton's translation posted:

Be generous as long as you live
What leaves the storehouse does not return;
It is the food to be shared which is coveted,
One whose belly is empty is an accuser;
One deprived becomes an opponent,
Don't have him for a neighbor.
Kindness is a man's memorial
For the years after the function.

the page linked above posted:

Be generous as long as you live,
For what goes out from the storehouse does not go back in,
And men are eager for bread which is freely given.
He whose stomach is empty is an accuser,
And (such) an opponent becomes a bringer of woe;
Do not make of him a friend.
Compassion is a man's monument
Throughout the years which follow his tenure of office.

A lot of the Teachings are to do with proper socio-political conduct. I have personally taken many of them to heart over the years. All the following are from the source I linked above because :effort:

quote:

Great of heart are those whom God has established, But he who listens to his stomach is his own worst enemy.

State your business without concealing (anything), Proffer your opinion in the council of your lord. If he can speak fluently and easily, It will not be difficult for an agent to give his account, And no one will answer, 'What does he know of it?' Even an official whose property has fared poorly, If he thinks about reproaching him concerning it, Will be silent saying (only), 'I have no comment.'

If you are a leader, Take responsibility in I the matters entrusted to you, And you will accomplish things of note. But think on the days which are still to come, Lest some misdeed should arise to destroy your favorable position, For an occasion of hatred is (like) the entrance of a crocodile.

If you are a man of authority, Be patient when you are listening to the words of a petitioner; Do not dismiss him until he has completely unburdened himself Of what he had planned I to say to you. A man who has been wronged desires to express his frustrations Even more than the accomplishment of the (justice) for which he came; But concerning him who dismisses petitions Men say, 'Why ever did he reject it?' 9,7 Not everything about which he has petitioned will be done, But a sympathetic hearing is a means of calming the heart.

quote:

Do not repeat slander, And do not listen to it, For it is but the prattling of a churlish man. Repeat only what is seen, not what is heard, Or forget it and say nothing at all, For he who is listening to you can discern I what is trustworthy.

quote:

If you are influential, you should establish respect for yourself Through knowledge and through courtesy in speech. Do not be domineering I except in official matters, For the aggressive man meets with trouble. Do not be arrogant, lest you be brought low; Do not be silent, but yet be cautious of causing offence When you answer a speech angrily.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I care a lot about ancient Egyptian philosophy/rhetoric, but it's one of those things I care about in a way I worry others find everything I want to say about it far less interesting than I do :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Well those are both very good points!

I should be within stone's throw of a computer this weekend, I will try and come up with a big interesting post for everyone to enjoy. :buddy:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hahaha, bless, thank you pals :3: just overly self-conscious. An effortpost is in this thread's future because if I am being given permission to soapbox about ma'at and Egyptian morality for an interested audience then by God(s), yes, I am taking it

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 22, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

So I think to talk at all about Egyptian philosophy the most important baseline to establish is a definition of something called ma’at. I know people that frequent this thread have grasps of history that range from “better than mine” to “way, way better than mine, and also have a degree in it”, and I want to apologize in advance for sounding like a huge layperson when discussing this. It’s because I am! But I am a layperson who has spent a lot of time personally concerned with how well I understand/don’t understand ma’at/ancient Egyptian religion and, furthermore, with whether I am consistently living my life in accordance to its guiding principles.

“Religion? I thought we were talking about philosophy. The religion thread is that-a-way —>

Well, yes, we are talking about philosophy, but here is why religion, and understanding what ma’at is, is fundamental to that discussion:

Koramei posted:

In a certain sense, what’s the difference between a philosopher and a priest? If your worldview is centered around your religion as opposed to natural science, your philosophers will be focusing their efforts on that. Maybe it makes it less applicable to other cultures, but aren’t they fundamentally similar?

Koramei, I’m going to go ahead and point out that I’m pretty sure these were leading questions to begin with. I am not at all mad about it. But you already knew your answer here.

Since so much of my understanding of Egyptian philosophy is rooted in personal belief and the motivation that arises thereof, I am going to have Henri Frankfort, research professor at the University of Chicago and author of 1948’s Ancient Egyptian Religion, explain why we can’t talk about Egyptian philosophy without Egyptian religion better than I could. I am transcribing these parts from a good old-fashioned book, so typos are on me, not him.

Henri Frankfort’s “Ancient Egyptian Religion”: Preface posted:

Egyptian religion aroused the interest of the West long before the hieroglyphs were deciphered. The fabulous antiquity of Egyptian civilization and its stupendous ruins have always suggested a background of profound wisdom. Plutarch set the fashion of writing under that impression, and it has continued to the present day. But the decipherment of the documents has disappointed centuries of expectation: it revealed a remarkable lack of philosophical content, at least in a form which we can assimilate.

Stay with us here.

Henri Frankfort posted:

Instead the texts introduce us to an apparent jungle of religious matter, so impenetrable to our understanding that Egyptologists have increasingly shunned the task of interpretation.

Erman, the first to base a description of Egyptian religion on a full understanding of the language, gave in 1905 a masterly but patronizing account of weird myths, doctrines, and usages, while the peculiarly religious values which these contained remained hidden from his lucid rationalism. Breasted succeeded in taking Egyptian religion seriously, but only at the cost of its integrity; he described in 1912 a “Development of Religion and Thought in Ancient Egypt” towards ethical ideals which pertain to biblical but not to ancient Egyptian religion. Since then interpretation has lagged. W.B. Kristensen in Leiden continued the elucidation of specific symbols, but the most prolific writers—Kees and his followers—assumed towards our subject a scientist’s rather than a scholar’s attitude: while ostensibly concerned with religion, they were really absorbed in the task of bringing order to a confused mass of material.

So here Frankfort refers to one of our problems. Egyptian religion was an enormous part of daily life. It was so thoroughly integrated with Egyptian culture there was no actual name for it — it held such powerful identity it was simply “religion”. Today we call it, “ancient Egyptian religion”. For the entire course of dozens of dynasties, Old Kingdom up through the Ptolemies, excepting only an Atenism-shaped cutout toward the rear of the New Kingdom, the ancient Egyptian religion helped shape Egypt’s culture and identity. Just about everybody can picture it: gold God statues, animal-headed men, women with wings, hieroglyphs and paintings of the Sun. But what is it about? Do you know?

I mean, you, dear reader, I know you know it’s about ma’at, but that’s because you’re in the ancient history thread / have already read the first part of this post. Everyone knows about Egyptian religion but you might be surprised by how few know what it might be “about”. Sun worship, death worship, king worship, all common guesses; “wasn’t that a bunch of unrelated cults?” gets asked, or asserted, at times. But given most of our English language sources tend to focus on those parts over all the pesky boring moral and ethical stuff, those are what sticks in modern consciousness, and that’s not really those people’s faults.

But it’s about ma’at.

To continue,

quote:

Scholars who deal with our subject in this manner not only ignore religion as a phenomenon sui generis, but are unable to see the wood for the trees. The unity of the Egyptian people is an established fact with respect to language, material culture, and even physique. It would be absurd to assume that there did not exist a corresponding unity in the domain of the spirit.

There we go. That’s ma’at. Far from a series of chaotic, loosely connected cult centers, Egyptian religion was based around the central, uniting belief in ma’at: the existence, and power, of a force of pure truth, balance, harmony, and justice. Ma’at was essential cosmic order and all that was right. Ma’at was ultimate truth, and it was every person’s job to live according to that truth — both for individual benefit and for the overarching good of all. Ma’at was a religious concept, yes; but it wasn't just a sacred one. It was a scientific one. It was a law like gravity. Ma’at mattered. Frankly, it matters, but I won’t digress there here. Instead, here is what Wikipedia has to say about it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maat posted:

Maat represents the ethical and moral principle that all Egyptian citizens were expected to follow throughout their daily lives. They were expected to act with honor and truth in matters that involve family, the community, the nation, the environment, and the gods.

Maat as a principle was formed to meet the complex needs of the emergent Egyptian state that embraced diverse peoples with conflicting interests. The development of such rules sought to avert chaos and it became the basis of Egyptian law. The significance of Maat developed to the point that it embraced all aspects of existence, including the basic equilibrium of the universe, the relationship between constituent parts, the cycle of the seasons, heavenly movements, religious observations and good faith, honesty, and truthfulness in social interactions.

The ancient Egyptians had a deep conviction of an underlying holiness and unity within the universe. Cosmic harmony was achieved by correct public and ritual life. Any disturbance in cosmic harmony could have consequences for the individual as well as the state. An impious king could bring about famine, and blasphemy could bring blindness to an individual. In opposition to the right order expressed in the concept of Maat is the concept of Isfet: chaos, lies and violence.

Several other principles within ancient Egyptian law were essential, including the importance of rhetorical skill and the significance of achieving impartiality and "right action". In one Middle Kingdom (2062 to c.1664 BCE) text, the Creator declares "I made every man like his fellow". Maat called the rich to help the less fortunate rather than exploit them, echoed in tomb declarations: "I have given bread to the hungry and clothed the naked" and "I was a husband to the widow and father to the orphan".

To the Egyptian mind, Maat bound all things together in an indestructible unity: the universe, the natural world, the state, and the individual were all seen as parts of the wider order generated by Maat.

And a third translation of that section on ma’at I’ve quoted twice already in this thread from Instructions of Ptahhotep.

www.sofiatopia.org/maat/ptahhotep.htm posted:

Great is Maat, lasting in effect.
Undisturbed since the time of Osiris.
One punishes the transgressors of laws,
though the heart that robs overlooks this.
Baseness may seize riches,
yet crime never lands its wares.
He says: ‘I acquire for myself.’
He does not say: ‘I acquire for my function.’
In the end, it is Maat that lasts,
(and) man says: ‘It is my father’s domain.’

So let’s actually talk about this section now. I keep quoting it because of all of the Teachings of Ptahhotep, it’s my favorite by a lot. I love the feel of its description of ma’at; I love that because so many people have translated these particular papyri, this particular verse, there are so many versions of this description all over libraries and academic facilities and the Internet. All over the world, so many languages, and still so much variance even within those languages, and they’re all striving to describe the truth of the verse that is, itself, describing pure Truth. Truth yearning for truth. It’s gorgeous. I love it. It’s holy. Ma’at.

Ma’at is a force that affects not just the world, but an individual. A person who consistently acts with ma’at — who remains in tune with the cosmos — will benefit from their wisdom; a person who is unjust and disordered will face consequences both spiritual and practical. This was believed, and so philosophy developed around it.

(This is where I could digress toward covering that paper I posted several days ago about ma’at and rhetoric being used as religious magic; perhaps I can come back to this. But not now.)

So now, we have established a definition of ma’at. We understand that seeking and achieving ma’at was of ultimate importance to the people of the time — not just in a general religious sense, but so as to participate as a member of the cosmic order. We see how putting its philosophy to paper could become what a majority of the proverbs and teachings of Egyptian wisdom texts sought to express to readers from the Middle Kingdom onwards.

I know there was a little back-and-forth a page or two ago about which periods were being asked about when two fish originally inquired after Egyptian philosophers. Wisdom texts like Ptahhotep’s (link to the translation I quoted above; it is at the bottom of the page, following what I remember being a long and very beefy essay that not everybody here will want to or even should spare the time to read but at least two people here are going to loving love) and Dispute between a man and his Ba (same link as I provided last page for this one, I like its formatting) began originating in the Middle Kingdom. They were part of a genre called sebayt. This is from Wikipedia’s page for sebayt:

quote:

Many of the earliest Sebayt claim to have been written in the third millennium BCE, during the Old Kingdom, but it is now generally agreed that they were actually composed later, beginning in the Middle Kingdom (c.1991–1786 BCE). This fictitious attribution to authors of a more distant past was perhaps intended to give the texts greater authority.

That page actually includes this list of writers, which is taken from a New Kingdom text credited there as Eulogy of Dead Writers:

quote:

Is there anyone here like Hordedef?
Is there another like Imhotep?
There is no family born for us like Neferty,
and Khety their leader.
Let me remind you of the name of Ptahemdjehuty
Khakheperraseneb.
Is there another like Ptahhotep?
Kaires too?

So, Tulip, I guess there’s an answer to your question earlier, about whether primary sources gave import to specific authors of ideas. Definitely. There were a lot of nameless scribes involved in the publishing industry, such as it was, too, but such is the case with every civilization; and as discussed in this article, scribes were a respected profession in the day regardless.

“Immortality of Writers in Ancient Egypt” posted:

The inscriptions were set down by scribes, among the most highly respected professions in Egypt, and while most of their works have other people, professions, or events as subject matter, there are a number which celebrate the occupation of scribe above all others. The most famous of these is The Satire of the Trades (from the Middle Kingdom, 2040-1782 BCE) in which a father encourages his son to become a scribe because it is better than any other profession. Another well-known work, this one from the New Kingdom (c. 1570 - c. 1069 BCE), is A Schoolbook or Be a Scribe which delivers the same message, this time from a teacher to a lazy student.

Incidentally, “The Immortality of Writers” is another translation of the same work that Wikipedia refers to above as “Eulogy of Dead Writers.” Those are some pretty different vibes, translators.

“Immortality of Writers in Ancient Egypt” posted:

There is another work from the New Kingdom along these same lines which, in addition to listing the many earthly benefits of the scribal profession, make clear that it is the one sure path to eternal life: The Immortality of Writers (also known as The Endurance of Writing: A Eulogy to Dead Authors from Papyrus Chester Beatty IV (registered in the British Museum as number 10684, Verso 2,5-3,11). The poem makes clear that, even though everyone, no matter their occupation or social class, needed to be honored through remembrance after death, a scribe would be remembered, not only by family and friends, but by a much larger audience through the works they left behind.

The work itself, Miriam Lichtheim’s translation provided by the aforelinked article. I liked the article and endorse click-throughs, but the poem is worth reproducing here.

The Immortality of Writers posted:

If you but do this, you are versed in writings.
As to those learned scribes,
Of the time that came after the gods,
They who foretold the future,
Their names have become everlasting,
While they departed, having finished their lives,
And all their kin are forgotten.

They did not make for themselves tombs of copper,
With stelae of metal from heaven.
They knew not how to leave heirs,
Children [of theirs] to pronounce their names;
They made heirs for themselves of books,
Of Instructions they had composed.

They gave themselves [the scroll as lector-] priest,
The writing-board as loving son.
Instructions are their tombs,
The reed pen is their child,
The stone-surface their wife.
People great and small
Are given them as children,
For the scribe, he is their leader.

Their portals and mansions have crumbled,
Their ka-servants are [gone];
Their tombstones are covered with soil,
Their graves are forgotten.
Their name is pronounced over their books,
Which they made while they had being;
Good is the memory of their makers,
It is forever and all time!

Be a scribe, take it to heart,
That your name become as theirs.
Better is a book than a graven stela,
Than a solid tomb-enclosure.
They act as chapels and tombs
In the heart of him who speaks their name;
Surely useful in the graveyard
Is a name in people's mouth!

Man decays, his corpse is dust,
All his kin have perished;
But a book makes him remembered
Through the mouth of its reciter.
Better is a book than a well-built house,
Than tomb-chapels in the west;
Better than a solid mansion,
Than a stela in the temple!

Is there one here like Hardedef?
Is there another like Imhotep?
None of our kin is like Neferti,
Or Khety, the foremost among them.
I give you the name of Ptah-emdjehuty,
Of Khakheperre-sonb.
Is there another like Ptahhotep,
Or the equal of Kaires?

Those sages who foretold the future,
What came from their mouth occurred;
It is found as [their] pronouncement,
It is written in their books.
The children of others are given to them
To be heirs as their own children.
They hid their magic from the masses,
It is read in their Instructions.
Death made their names forgotten
But books made them remembered.

So that’s an example of a New Kingdom philosophical text. But Bird! You say. You just spent all this time talking about how Egyptian philosophy is inseparable from Egyptian religion. That poem isn’t connected to religion at all!

It definitely is, and asserting otherwise makes you sound a bit like those other academics Frankfort was grousing about in his excerpts earlier if I’m being honest with you. You either didn't read any of the articles about the explicit and very non-secular power of language and rhetoric, or you have already forgotten them.

But for now this post has gotten very long and I feel as though it will only continue getting longer if I let it. Let’s go back to Ptahhotep. Do you want a fourth translation of that drat ma’at stanza? That’s right hell yes you do.

quote:

[Maat] is great, and (its) keenness enduring.
It has not been overturned since the time of Osiris.
The one who overlooks laws is punished;
that is what is overlooked in the sight of the greedy.
It is the small-minded that seize riches,
but crime never managed to land its rewards.
Whoever says 'I snare for myself'
does not say 'I snare for my needs'.
The final part of [Maat] is its endurance;
of which a man says 'that is my father'.

I’m taking a liberty with this particular quotation and turning the translator’s choice of “what is right” back to the word itself. But look, now you’ve all seen four versions of this verse of the Instructions of Ptahhotep, two within the bounds of this very post, and I think you all understand what each author/translator is striving to express far better than you would have with just any given one.

Maat is beautiful, and its effect endures.
It has not wavered since the day of Creation.
He who transgresses its laws is punished;
A man who chooses greed will suffer for it.
Selfishness may amass wealth,
But it crumbles in the face of Truth.
Do not say ‘I take what I want’;
Say rather, ‘I take what I must.’
The strength of Maat is that it lasts;
We will say, ‘it has been here always.’

Yeah. Something like that, I think. Great. Very ma’at, much truth. But wait — now that I’ve produced yet another version of the Instructions (/Maxims/Teachings) for you, you’re not off the hook just yet. Here’s the verse that follows that one.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums-static/digitalegypt/literature/ptahhotep.html posted:

Do not cause fear among people
God punishes with the same.
Anyone who says 'I can live by it'
will lack bread for his statement.
Anyone who say 'I can be powerful'
will have to say 'I snare against myself by my cleverness'.
Anyone who says he will strike another,
will end by being given to a stranger.

That version’s all right, but there’s a reason this translation only made it onto my list as option number four. I have a fifth option, but just like the Frankfort book we started out with, it’s in a physical copy rather than being something I can copy and paste. Thus number five. We’ll start settling things down a little and just look at that new-to-us verse just above.

The Maxims of Ptahhotep, vis a vis Zbynek Zába posted:

Do not stir up fear in people,
Or God will punish in equal measure.
A man may determine to live thereby,
But he will (eventually) be lacking in bread for his mouth.
A man may decide to become / rich,
And he may say, ‘I will snatch for myself whatever I see.’
A man may decide to cheat another,
But he will end up by giving (his gains) to a total stranger.

Four additional lines weren’t present in the previous translation; they are included in this print version.

quote:

(For) it is not what men devise that comes to pass,
But what God determines comes to pass.
Live, therefore, contentedly,
And let what the Gods give come of its own accord.

Okay friends. I have fully written more words in this post than I have written on the Something Awful Dot Com Forums in an entire year. I’m not sure how much of it is even directly an answer to two fish’s original request, all things told; but by God it’s too late to turn back now, and you all did tell me very nicely that I should go ahead and :justpost:, so I’m gonna. If nothing else, it’s definitely a post at least mostly about ancient history, in the ancient history thread, with lots of quotes, and even several citations.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah, welcome to the thread! This is way more interesting than the silly Vegeta derail I started.

Also, I'm guessing this explains the ankh you were always wearing in the selfie thread.

:3: I’m from PYF, derails don’t scare me :clint: unless I accidentally start them
Yes, it very much does. :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Nessus posted:

Plase continue postin' o Bird, this stuff rules. I am glad to hear the ancient Egyptians appear to have been sound on the philosophy basis other than what I had gathered from exhibits, which can be summarized as 'they sure did like living in Egypt'

:lmao: thank you, pleased to be able to share!

Since that post was mostly about the Instructions of Ptahhotep, inasmuch as it was about any one piece of literature, and I have pulled my copy of the aptly titled Literature of Ancient Egypt off the bookshelf for the first time in a bit, I will introduce The Instruction of Amenemope to conversation. It’s a New Kingdom one; here’s what Wikipedia says.

quote:

Instruction of Amenemope (also called Instructions of Amenemopet, Wisdom of Amenemopet) is a literary work composed in Ancient Egypt, most likely during the Ramesside Period (ca. 1300–1075 BCE); it contains thirty chapters of advice for successful living, ostensibly written by the scribe Amenemope son of Kanakht as a legacy for his son. A characteristic product of the New Kingdom “Age of Personal Piety”, the work reflects on the inner qualities, attitudes, and behaviors required for a happy life in the face of increasingly difficult social and economic circumstances. It is widely regarded as one of the masterpieces of ancient near-eastern wisdom literature and has been of particular interest to modern scholars because of its similarity to the later biblical Book of Proverbs.

Oh yeah. There’s the Proverbs thing too, that’s very interesting but somebody else could talk about that better if they wanted to probably. The Wiki page linked above goes into it, but I just want their synopsis.

Wikipedia posted:

Amenemope belongs to the literary genre of "instruction" (Egyptian sebayt). It is the culmination of centuries of development going back to the Instruction of Ptahhotep in the Old Kingdom but reflects a shift in values characteristic of the New Kingdom's "Age of Personal Piety": away from material success attained through practical action, and towards inner peace achieved through patient endurance and passive acceptance of an inscrutable divine will. The author takes for granted the principles of natural law and concentrates on the deeper matters of conscience. He urges the reader to defend the weaker classes of society and to respect the elderly, widows and the poor, while he condemns abuses of power or authority. The author draws an emphatic contrast between the "silent man", who goes about his business without drawing attention or demanding his rights, and the "heated man", who makes a nuisance of himself and presses petty grievances. Contrary to worldly expectation, the author assures that the former will ultimately receive divine blessing, while the latter will inevitably go to destruction. Amenemope counsels modesty, self-control, generosity, and scrupulous honesty, while discouraging pride, impetuosity, self-advancement, fraud, and perjury—not only out of respect for Maat, the cosmic principle of right order, but also because "attempts to gain advantage to the detriment of others incur condemnation, confuse the plans of god, and lead inexorably to disgrace and punishment."

Instruction of Amenemope is my personal posting bible. It’s got some good stuff, I am being 100 percent sincere right now :lol: I’m going to share some bits in the interest of “examples of the genre”. Transcribed from my copy of Literature, Advice For Posting.

“Instruction of Amenemope”, The Literature of Ancient Egypt, 2003 posted:

Do not get into a quarrel with the argumentative man
Do not incite him with words;
Proceed cautiously before an opponent,
And give way to an adversary;
Sleep on it before speaking,
For a storm come forth like fire in hay is
The hot-headed man in his appointed time.
May you be restrained before him;
Leave him to himself,
And God will know how to answer him.
If you spend your life with these things in your heart,
Your children shall observe them.

Don’t pick fights with people looking to pick fights.

Instruction of Amenemope posted:

Do not address an intemperate man in unrighteousness
Nor destroy your own mind;
Do not say to him, “May you be praised,” not meaning it
When there is fear within you.
Do not converse falsely with a man,
For it is the abomination of God.
Do not separate your mind from your tongue,
All your good plans will come to pass.
Your weight will have presence among men,
While you will be secure in the hand of God.
God hates one who falsifies words,
His great abomination is duplicity.

Don’t be two-faced.

Do not provoke your adversary;
And do not (let) him say his innermost thoughts;
Do not fly up to greet him
When you cannot see how he acts.
May you first comprehend his accusation
Be calm and your chance will come.
Leave it to him and he will empty his soul;
Sleep knows how to find him out.
Do not disrespect him;
Fear him, do not underestimate him.
Indeed, you cannot know the plans of God,
You cannot perceive tomorrow.
Sit yourself at the hands of God;
Your tranquility will overthrow them.

Be respectful and stay cool.

Here’s one more. It doesn't fit into my posting theme but it’s a good one and I like it.

Do not turn people away from crossing the river
When you have room in (your) ferryboat;
If an oar is given you in the midst of the deep waters,
So bend back your hands (to) take it up.
It is not an abomination in the hand of God
If the crew does not agree.
Do not acquire a ferryboat on the river,
And then attempt to seek out its fares;
Take the fare from the man of means,
But (also) accept the destitute (without charge).

This is a complete translation for those interested, which as I scan it now is the same as my printed copy. Nice! It’s a good translation. But also damnit, I could have saved myself a little time not typing those out by hand. :mad:
http://www.touregypt.net/instructionofamenemope.htm

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 24, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The apparent emphasis on truthfulness, politeness and not rising to anger unless you have a good reason is interesting. Reminds me of what I've heard about ancient Persia and how 'truth' was apparently more or less to them what 'freedom' is to the USA. (And probably with everything you can draw from that analogy)

The Blinding of Truth by Falsehood from the 19th Dynasty (I wasn't going to keep taking over the thread with Egyptian literature and philosophy but nobody else has posted for days, so, whatever :lmao:)

A plain text English rendition:

https://egyptopia.com/en/articles/Egypt/history-of-egypt/The-Tale-of-The-Blind-Truth-of-Maat.s.29.13393/ posted:

This myth is one of the most interesting myths in the ancient Egyptian mythology that gives many moral lessons and highlights the value of justice. It is a story of two brothers: the good one called Truth, and the vicious one called Falsehood. The former borrowed the knife of his brother and unfortunately lost it, and this gave the chance for his vicious and hateful brother to harm him. Truth asked him to accept another typical knife, but Falsehood refused and when they stood before the nine gods of the court he claimed that his one was incomparable knife whose blade was made of the mountain of El's copper and whose handle from the Coptos' woods. Thus the court gave him the right to say any judgment he sees that it would satisfy him. He asked to blind one of his brother's eyes and make him the doorkeeper of his home. Whenever Falsehood saw his brother, he remembered his sin and this motivated him to command his servants to attack Truth and then leave him in the desert to be devoured by its wild monsters.

Fortunately, the servants of Falsehood sympathized with Truth, gave food and left him in the desert hoping that any passerby would find him and save him and came back to their master telling him that Truth is already dead. Few days later, a beautiful woman found the handsome Truth and was fascinated by his attractive appearance to the extent that she took him to be her doorkeeper. One day, the lady had had a relation with Truth and became pregnant in a baby boy but she did not tell the boy about the name of his father. This boy grew up to be a unique one in his physical and mental abilities and this raised the jealousy of his companions against him. One of the mornings, the boys tried to tease and enrage Truth's son for being the son of an unknown father, thus he returned home angry and insisted on knowing his father's name and the mother told him everything. The boy went happily to his father, brought him to his room and asked him to tell him the story of his life in detail. After realizing the injustice and villainy of his uncle, the boy decided to take his father's revenge and made a shrewd plan that depends mainly on the greed of Falsehood. He took a huge ox, many loaves of bread and a sword and directed to the land of Falsehood. The boy asked the keeper of Falsehood's herds to take care of his ox in exchange for all the bread and the staffs that he has and he would come back to take it.

One day Falsehood saw that beautiful ox among his herds and ordered to be prepared for him to eat but the herdsman refused saying that it belongs to a stranger who would come back to take it. Falsehood insisted on taking the ox and said that its owner is free to take any other one in exchange for it. Then the boy came to take his ox and when the herdsman asked him to take any other one or any amount of herds he want, since Falsehood slaughtered his one, he refused. Before the court of the nine gods, the boy said that no other ox can be like his own one that was as large as the whole world and there is no replacement for it. Then the boy announced that he is the son of Truth and that the judgment in the case of his father was unfair. At that moment, Falsehood assured that this boy is lying and if he proved that he is telling the truth he judges on himself by blinding both his eyes and serving as a doorkeeper of Truth. The boy brought his father and Falsehood was severely beaten and blinded and then became Truth's doorkeeper. This story highlights the value of truth and justice in human life and how the truth should win and justice be settled at the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blinding_of_Truth_by_Falsehood

Implications of "The Blinding of Truth by Falsehood" posted:

There are many implications. Some of these consequences are religious and cultural. One of them is the importance and popularity of certain myths in Ancient Egypt. The relationship between myth and literature in Ancient Egypt is that myths are generally integrated into literature, and "The Blinding of Truth by Falsehood" chooses to integrate the Osiris and the Horus and Seth/Set myths (Baines 377; Griffiths 90). Despite the many parallels to these two myths, it is only a partial allegory rather than a full one (Griffiths 90). It only concerns the names of the characters and is not used enough to make this story a full allegory (Griffiths 90-91).

Another religious and cultural implication involves the theme of "The Blinding of Truth by Falsehood:" the triumph of ma'at over isfet (Vinson 33). Ma'at had existed since creation but was in a constant struggle with the forces of chaos (Strudwick 366). If order broke down, chaos would follow (Strudwick 366). This concept is so important is it made the moral of "The Blinding of Truth by Falsehood." The tale's allegorical nature downplays the narrative's mythological aspect in order to highlight an important moral that Egyptians wanted to ensure in their society and culture (Baines 374). This would guarantee that ma'at would continue and ultimately triumph over chaos.

Other implications are political and historical. Since "The Blinding of Truth by Falsehood" uses the myth involving Horus and Seth, it brings up the problem of succession that drives the main conflict in that myth (Strudwick 118). At this time in Egypt, Ramesses II was on the throne of Egypt and a new dynasty was in control of the country (Lesko 99). Ramesses would have commissioned this in order to legitimize his own reign and succession as well as the new dynasty through this story (Lesko 100). Author Leonard Lesko even goes as far as to say that this is deliberate political propaganda (Lesko 100). Its audience would have to be a large one. Propaganda (legitimizing succession in this case) is meant to be seen by lots of people, not be kept hidden, and the popular myths it contains would help it reach a wide audience as well. This means that the source is also biased because it would be on the side of Ramesses II in order to secure his status in Egypt.

This myth also demonstrates the importance of ma'at in political terms. The pharaoh was the one who essentially keeps it by defeating Egypt's enemies, pleasing the gods as their high priest, restoring what was broken, and more (Strudwick 366). Ma'at's role is also seen in the important role the judicial system plays (Campagno 25). The main conflict between Truth and Falsehood is settled essentially in court with the Ennead acting as judge and jury (Campagno 26). The law and the order, truth, and justice that goes with it is personified by ma'at (Strudwick 366).

The final implications of this story are social. It reveals the social aspect of ma'at: harmony "between and amongst gods and human beings" (Vinson 47-48). "The Blinding of Truth by Falsehood" also illuminates the role of women at this point in Egyptian history. There seemed to be negativity towards the influential roles women played in the previous dynasty, and it manifests itself in this piece (Lesko 102). Ma'at, a female concept, is made male (Baines 374). The woman in the tale only exists to desire Truth and conceive his son; she does not play a major part (Vinson 47). This is in stark contrast to the major role the goddess Isis plays in the original Osiris myth (Griffiths 90).

Edit to add some personal commentary in addition to the photos/great blocks of quoted text. Early mythology being reworked into later allegory, so as to maintain its internal core but be sure the message is emphasized over the trappings, is interesting to me; like that Wikipedia block says, both the resurrection of Osiris and the Contendings of Horus and Set have very visible influences on Truth and Falsehood. That shift from Divine mythology to modern (for the time) parable is reflective of the New Kingdom being that “age of personal piety”, as mentioned in my post above. I am really fond of the parable itself, too, outside of the questionable manifestation of gendered roles within it (themselves in contrast to earlier cultural egalitarianism). Truth makes a mistake, upon which Falsehood immediately capitalizes. Truth suffers due to their (his in the story; but Ma’at/Truth had heretofore typically been personified as female) mistake and Falsehood’s malice. After a while, however, a truth-seeker comes along and susses out that something has gone terribly awry; upon learning this they set about making it right. The truth-seeker exposes Falsehood through the latter’s own greed and machinations and, at long last, Truth and justice are restored, as they always and inevitably will be.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 27, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My favorite trivia relating to that part of the myth is that the Egyptian word for semen, mtwt, also means "venom". :flaccid:
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/mtwt

I haven't read that book but I absolutely will! Thank you for the lead, Lead :buddy:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CrypticFox posted:

Egypt is actually somewhat unusual in the ancient world for the large amount of non-mytholgoical literature they produced. Works like Sinhue and the Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor, which have only fairly limited mythological elements, were very popular in Egyptian scribal circles, but are not well known today.

The Shipwrecked Sailor, transcribed from, again, the third edition of Literature of Ancient Egypt, the long way this time because I don’t like how the photos look in the previous post.

The reduction of mythological elements is definitely on display here, but I would argue a philosophical core remains. The mythology of ancient Egypt in general has enough layered elements of religious, political, and environmental influence that talking about something like the Contendings would be better served by one of you with history degrees than by me; I lack an ability to discuss mythological elements as insightfully as they deserve, as I tend to be more interested in the moral and ethical themes in any given literature piece.

That said, it was the early mythological literature that first drew me into ancient Egypt when I was young enough to still be visiting kids’ sections of bookstores and libraries, and it was the early mythological literature that created the foundation for all the enormous bodies of work that arose from the Middle Kingdom onwards. I understand a lot of the shift from fantastic stories of Gods to moral stories of man developing as, too, the cultural perception of their world became more complex and required more of the moving pieces of foundational mythology to be drawn in and rooted in practical wisdom.

The Shipwrecked Sailor is dated to some time after 2000 BCE. A commanding officer and his crew had been sent on some sort of trading or exploration mission at Pharaoh’s behest; the first pages of the story are suspected to be missing. It begins as the commander is in conversation with one of his sailors regarding the apparently unsuccessful mission. They have returned home safely, but seemingly without any sort of material good or information that might accomplish good cheer. The commander is despairing, and the sailor attempts to help by telling him of the time he had spent as an eponymous shipwrecked sailor on an island inhabited only by one other being: an enormous serpent, who tells the sailor a tale of his own and predicts his return to Egypt.

quote:

Then the able retainer spoke:
Be of good cheer, commander;
We have now reached home.
The mallet has been taken off, the mooring post driven in,
The bowline cast ashore.
Praise has been offered, and God has been thanked.
Every man embraces his comrade.
Our shipmates have returned safe
Without loss to our expedition.
After we reached the limits of Wawat,
We passed the island of Senmet.
See us now, we are returning safely,
And we are reaching our land.

Listen now to me, commander,
I do not exaggerate.
Wash up, place water on your fingers
So you can reply when you are questioned,
So you can speak to the king with confidence,
So you can answer without stammering.
The speech of a man can save him,
And his words can cause indulgence for him,
Yet do only as you wish; for speaking to you is tiresome.

A pause here to note that the commander, as mentioned, appears to be stressin’ over the forthcoming need to report to the pharoah on their suboptimal mission results. Our sailor/retainer advises his commander to pull himself together. He reminds him, “The speech of a man can save him, and his words can cause indulgence for him.” Since we’ve looked at several pieces of philosophical literature already that revolve around ma’at and the power of words and speech, you all understand what he is saying here: he’s saying I know you’re worried, but speak with ma’at, with good rhetoric, and things will be fine. “Yet do only as you wish; for speaking to you is tiresome,” he adds. “But you don’t have to take my advice. I just need to say it because you need to chill out, you’re being exhausting.”

quote:

Now I shall tell you something similar
Which happened to me myself.
I went to the mining region for the Sovereign.
I went down to the Great Green* [*footnotes indicate scholars are divided on whether “the Great Green” is the Red Sea, or the Nile itself]
In a ship 120 cubits long and 40 cubits wide.
120 sailors were aboard from the best of Egypt.
Whether they looked at the sky or looked at the land,
Their hearts were braver than lions.

They could tell a storm before it came
And a tempest before it happened.
But a storm came up while we were on the Great Green* [*personally I definitely think this means the Nile]
Before we could touch land,
And the wind picked up and howled.
A wave of 8 cubits was in it.
As for the mast, I struck it.
Then the ship died, and of those who were in it
There did not remain a single one.
I was placed on an island by a wave of the Great Green* [*it fits better with the Nile being revered as itself Divine, and here being given credit for saving our protagonist]
And I spent 3 days alone, my heart as my companion.
I lay down within a shelter of wood,
And I embraced the shade.
Next I stretched my legs
To find what I could put in my mouth.

There I found figs and grapes
And all kinds of good vegetables.
Sycamore figs were there together with notched ones,
And cucumbers as if they were cultivated.
Fish were there with fowl.
There was nothing that was not in it.
Then I gorged myself, and I put some on the ground
Because of the abundance in my hands.
I removed the fire drill when I had lighted a fire,
And I made a burnt offering to the Gods.

Next I heard the sound of thunder,
And I thought it was a wave of the Great Green.
The trees were shaking and the ground quaking.
When I uncovered my face,
I found it was a serpent about to come.

mtwt

quote:

He was 30 cubits long,
And his hood larger than 2 cubits.
His body was covered with gold,
His eyebrows were of real lapis lazuli,
And he was coiled up in front.

I think something important to note here is that our sailor describes this serpent with the terms of Divinity, even if it is not named as such. The Gods were consistently described as having flesh and skin of gold, and hair of lapis lazuli; further the serpent itself is an animal symbolizing Divine magic and power, as demonstrated, for example, by the uraeus-cobras on pharoahic regalia.

quote:

He opened his mouth toward me,
While I was on my belly in front of him.
He said to me:
Who has brought you, who has brought you, citizen,
Who has brought you?
If you delay in telling me
Who has brought you to this island,
I shall have you know yourself as ashes,
Turned into someone invisible.

He spoke to me, but I could not hear.
While I was before him,
I did not know myself.
Then he set me in his mouth
And took me off to his resting place.
He set me down without touching me.
I was intact without his taking anything from me.

He opened his mouth toward me,
While I was on my belly before him.
Then he said to me:
Who has brought you, who has brought you, citizen,
Who has brought you to this island of the Great Green,
The two sides of which are under water?

Our sailor is in a God’s demesne.

quote:

Then I answered him
My arms bent before him.

And this is supported by the couplet above. What is being described is the dua, or praise position of worship, where a petitioner before a Deity lifts their arms in respect toward them. You’ve seen it in temple art. The serpent is being addressed as a God, or at least as some form of powerful Divine being.

quote:

I said to him:
It was I who came down to the mining country
On a mission of the Sovereign
In a ship 120 cubits long and 40 cubits wide.
120 sailors were in it from the best of Egypt.
Whether they looked at the sky or looked at the land,
Their hearts were braver than lions.
They could tell a storm before it came,
Each one of them, his heart was braver,
And his arm more valiant than his companions.
There was no fool among them.

Then a storm came forth while we were on the Great Green,
Before we could set to land.
The wind picked up and kept on howling.
A wave of 8 cubits was in it.
As for the mast, I struck it.
Then the ship died, and of those who were in it,
Not a single one remained except for me.
See me now at your side.
Next I was placed on this island
By a wave of the Great Green.

Then he said to me:
Do not fear, do not fear, citizen
Do not turn white, for you have reached me.
See, God has allowed you to live:
He has brought you to this island of the spirit*. [*or, “of the ka”]
There is not anything which is not in it.
It is filled with all fine things.
See, you shall spend month after month
Until you complete 4 months within this island.
A boat shall return from the Residence,
Sailors in it whom you know.
You shall go with them to the Residence,
And you shall die in your town.

How joyful is one who relates what he has experienced
After painful matters have passed by.
I shall now related to you something similar
Which took place on this island
When I was on it with my siblings,
Children among them.
We amounted to 75 serpents,
Including my children and my brothers and sisters.
Without my mentioning to you a little daughter
Brought to me through wisdom.

A pause here. I personally interpret this talk of serpents as, again, the spirits of the Gods Themselves. This story is, as aforementioned, from the Middle Kingdom: well into a time considered to be an age of man, rather than Gods. The Gods, within the minds of the people, had at one time been present here on our Earth, in our world, but such was no longer the case. “The Age of Gods” is referred to in other literature at times. I interpret the serpent speaking to our protagonist as the ka or spirit of the Creator-God, possibly Ra-Heruakhety. The other serpents, the children and siblings: other Gods’ ka. The daughter, explicitly set apart from the group of potentially Divine serpents, is in this understanding the Goddess Ma’at, who is herself a mythological figure born from a desire to personify the concept ma’at and considered to be a daughter of the Creator, but not usually a cast member of the Divine mythological legends. She is of the Gods, but not directly one of them — and further, ma’at, of course, whether accomplished by man or by God, is brought about through wisdom, through wise speech and action. Make sense?

The Serpent continues:

quote:

Then a star fell,
And because of it these went up in fire.
It happened utterly.
But I was not with them when they burned;
I was not among them.
Then I died for them
When I found them as a single heap of corpses.

If you would be brave, and your heart strong,
You will fill your arms with your children,
You will kiss your wife, you will see your house.
It is better than anything.
You will reach home where you were
Among your siblings!

I was stretched out on my belly;
I touched the ground in his presence.
But I said to him:

I shall relate your might to the Sovereign,
I shall have him learn of your greatness.
I shall have brought to you ladanum, oil,
Spice, balsam, and incense of the temples
With which every God is pleased.
I shall tell what has happened to me
And what I have seen of your fame.
You will be thanked in the city
In the presence of the officials of the entire land.
I shall slaughter oxen for you as a burnt offering.
I will have the necks of fowl wringed for you.
I shall have barges brought to you
Laden with all the products of Egypt,
As should be done for a God who loves men
In a far-off land which men do not know.

The sailor and I are on similar pages.

quote:

But then he laughed at me for what I had said
In his opinion foolishly.
He said to me:
You do not have much myrrh,
Although you have become an owner of incense.
I am, sir, the Prince of Punt.
Myrrh belongs to me.
That oil which you said will be brought,
It is the main product of this island!

Now it shall happen
When you separate yourself from this place,
You will never see this island again,
Since it will be submerged under waves.

Then that boat returned, as he had predicted before.
I went and set myself on top of a tall tree,
And I recognized those who were in it.
Then I went to report it,
And I found him knowing it already.

He said to me:
In good health, in good health, citizen, off to your house.
You shall see your children.
Make a good reputation for me in your city.
This is my only request from you.

I placed myself upon my belly,
My arms bent in his presence.
He gave me a load of myrrh, oil, ladanum, spice,
Cinnamon, aromatics, eye-paint, giraffe tails,
Large cakes of incense, ivory tusks,
Hounds, apes, baboons, and all fine products.
Then I loaded them onto the boat,
And I was placed on my belly to thank him.

He said to me:
You shall reach the Residence in 2 months,
You shall fill your arms with your children.
You will become young again at home, until your burial.

Then I went down to the shore in the vicinity of this boat,
And I called out to the expeditionary force which was in the boat.
I gave praise upon the shore to the Lord of this island,
And those who were in it likewise.

We sailed north to the Residence of the Sovereign,
And we reached the Residence in 2 months,
According to everything he had said.
Then I entered before the Sovereign
And I presented him with these gifts
Which I had brought from within this island.
Then he thanked me before the officials of the entire land.
I was appointed retainer, and granted 200 servants.

See me after I landed,
After I have seen what I experienced.
Listen to my words. It is good for men to hearken.

Then the commander said to me:
Do not be so proper, friend.
What is the use of giving water to the fowl at daybreak
When it is to be killed in the morning?

Did not listen to a word our man said. Tiresome indeed.

quote:

It has come from beginning to end as found in writing,
In the writing of the scribe, skilled with his fingers,
Ameny’s son Amen-aa, may he live, prosper, and be in health.

Now, what is the point of this whole tale? Why did the sailor/now-retainer spend so much breath relating the story of the serpent back to the commander to strengthen his spirit, when there is a pretty noticeable defining difference between the end of the sailor’s tale and the end of the current tale (eg, the sailor came back with treasure; the commander seemingly this time has not)?

I would suggest we can once again say the story is, at least in part, about ma’at. In this case, it points to ma’at’s role as magical rhetoric in protecting a person from a social superior’s wrath. The commander is deeply anxious about explaining his failure to the Sovereign. The sailor tries to assure the commander that if he speaks with confidence, honesty, and elegance, all will be well, despite what seems like dire circumstance. The sailor expresses that he is certain good speech will protect the commander, because he knows that Divinity — and through that Divinity ma’at — still exists and is capable of affecting interactions within a modern world. He knows this not because he has merely been told so; he has experienced Divinity personally. He has spoken with and been saved by it himself. He has firsthand knowledge of its power. Trust in your wise speech, commander, he advises. Listen to my words; trust in what I have seen and have now told you.

The commander remains unconvinced, but hey: it’s like we said at the very beginning. It’s just advice. Do only as you wish. :shrug: :sigh:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

bob dobbs is dead posted:

egyptology exists as a separate field because the ancient egyptians ability to keep stuff (what with the endless desert mere feet from settlements) was head and shoulders above any other ancient polity, so we have like random rear end receipts for poo poo in new kingdom egypt whereas we have substantively nothing for far far younger stuff in mesoamerica forex

so its a lotta evidentiary selection effect too

That makes sense! And then because so many things are incidentally preserved, we overlook the huge gaps of information left by time and the desert destroying other parts of the historical cultural record. There’s a deity of whom I’m particularly fond, Nemty, whose cults specifically cast his statues and other offerings in silver because he had declared, “Gold is an abomination unto me in my city” (he had reasons). But silver items corrode and are destroyed by the desert over time, unlike gold and the favored precious stones, so comparatively very few Egyptian silver items tend to be found and recovered. So for example we — or I, personally, anyway — are left to wonder how often the geographically rarer metal silver was used for other Gods, as well, and we simply have very little record of it by comparison to the omnipresent, well-preserved gold.

Mad Hamish posted:

I was under the impression that the Great Green was the Mediterranean?

I could buy Mediterranean. My book gave me the choices of Red Sea or Nile, and Nile felt more correct to me of those two. Specifically it said:

quote:

This expression has traditionally been regarded as the Red Sea. Recent scholarship, however, has attempted to show that the term must refer to the Nile itself. See Claude Vandersleyen, “En relisant le Naufrage,” in S. Israelit-Groll, ed., Studies in Egyptology Presented to Miriam Lichtheim, vol 2 (Jerusalem, 1990), 1019-24; Wadj our: Un autre aspect de la valee du Nil (Brussels, 1999).

I would probably add that within the context of this particular tale, Red Sea or Nile both make more geographical sense than the Mediterranean. I say this because the Serpent is named the Prince of Punt; the Land of Punt was usually agreed to be located south-easterly of Egypt. This geography is implied too by the mention of "sailing north" away from the serpent's island at the end.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 28, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The Fable of the Swallow and the Sea from The Literature of Ancient Egypt, 3rd edition.

Introduction, which I think might be longer than the story itself, but that’s okay.

quote:

This cautionary tale was the last of four Demotic writing exercises composed as model letters on a jug formerly in the Berlin Museum but destroyed in the Second World War. Dating to the Roman era (first to second centuries CE) and probably deriving from Mit Rahina, the epistolary narrative has traditional antecedents in both form and content. Model letters are a feature of Egyptian education and literature from the Middle Kingdom onward. As a satirical letter, this Demotic example continues the genre best typified by the taunting letter of Hori preserved in the papyrus Anastasi I. Here, however, it is the theoretically unassailable Pharaoh himself who is satirized. […] The central imagery of the tale, the immensity of the desert and sea in terms of usual measurements, appears as early as the Amarna hymn of Ay that anticipates the wording of Isaiah 40:12.

The animal fable that forms the core of the letter is a traditional literary device as well. Attested on figured ostraca and in narratives, such fables are best exemplified by the collection in the “Myth of the Solar Eye” that influenced the later Greek tales popularly attributed to Aesop. The Berlin Demotic fable, in which the futility of Pharaoh’s threat to destroy Arabia is compared to that of a swallow’s attempt to destroy the sea, also reveals cross-cultural influence. Later versions of the fable appear in rabbinical literature of the fourth century and, more fully, in the Indian Panchatantra attested from the sixth century. Although these parallels were first noted in the textual edition of 1912, the coherence of all three versions has become evident only in 1999 through revisions in the Demotic text presented by Phillipe Collombert, who is preparing a new critical edition. Despite its importance, the fable is rarely anthologized.

The Fable of the Swallow and the Sea.

quote:

The [petition of] Ausky, the chief of the land of Arabia, before Pharaoh:

“Hear the goodness of Ra, [regarding the] chiefs of the land [of Arabia].
Great is my lord!
O may he celebrate millions of jubilees!
What does it mean that Pharaoh, my great lord, has said ‘I shall devastate the land of Arabia’?
Come, may Pharaoh, my great lord, come hear the tale of what happened to the swallow when it was giving birth beside the sea.
When she was coming and going out to seek food for her young, she said:
‘O sea, watch over my young until I come back in.’
It happened that this was her custom daily.
Now afterwards, a day occurred when the swallow happened to be coming and going out to seek food for her young. She said:
‘O sea, watch over the young for me until I come back in, in accordance with my custom that transpires with me daily.’
But it happened that the sea came up raging; it took the young of the swallow away before it.
With her mouth full, her eyes wide*, and her heart very happy, the swallow was coming back in.
But she could not find her young there before her. She said:
‘O sea, hand over the young whom I entrusted to you!
Should it happen that you haven’t given back my young whom I entrusted to you, I shall scoop you out on that day.
I shall carry you away.
I shall bail with my beak.
I shall carry you to the sand of the surrounding area and carry the sand of the surrounding area to you.’
It happened that this was the custom of the swallow daily; the habit which she did.
The swallow began to go, filling her mouth with the sand of the surrounding area and pouring it out in the sea. She filled her mouth with the water of the sea; she poured it out on the sand of the surrounding area.
It happens that here then is the daily custom of the swallow before Pharaoh, my great lord.
Should it happen that the swallow does scoop out the sea, then you shall devastate the happy heart from the land of Arabia.”

Footnote:

quote:

*An Egyptian idiom signifying happiness or good fortune.

You might think I like this one because it’s about a bird, and you’d be right. But specifically I also really like the Egyptian idiom for which my book’s translator included a helpful footnote. “Her eyes wide” has a sort of optimistic joy to it, and I like that since it’s idiomatic of good fortune it’s justified optimism, too. Theoretically. :hai: And also, yeah, it’s a really cute mental image on a little swallow-bird. Fight me.

While trying to look up other versions of that fable to suss out a suspected translator quirk I came across a neat related paper: Towards Sunrise: Innovations in the Representations of the Swallow in the Funerary Papyri of the Twenty-First Dynasty.

quote:

Abstract:

The funerary papyri belonging to the priesthood of Amun-Re of the Twenty-First Dynasty offer a rich field for exploration. The socio-religious circumstances of the period influenced the representations within the papyri leading to a variety of innovative illustrations. Of these are the depictions of the barn swallow, which is the topic of the current study. The present work focuses on 24 representations of the swallow in a corpus of 22 papyri that are currently in various museums around the world. The study classifies those representations into two main divisions, namely those of Chapter 86 of the Book of the Dead and those depicting the bird on the prow of the morning solar boat.

I gave it just a cursory first read, so don’t have much commentary of my own, but suspect it’s good Ancient History for the Ancient History thread. And the conclusions spun out from these paragraphs in particular delight me.

quote:

The barn swallow, like other migratory birds, intrigued the ancient Egyptians, as they considered them to be of a mythical nature. They believed that they had come from the dark and damp region of the far north, in which they were human-headed birds speaking the language of man. They also believed that when these human-headed birds arrived in Egypt, the sunlight would make them turn fully into birds.11

The ancient Egyptians called the swallow mnt,12 which is the sign (G 36 of Gardiner’s sign list) that carries a positive connotation, as opposed to the negative connotation of G 37, which represents a sparrow.13 The pronunciation of the name of the bird may have added another positive connotation as it shares similarity with the word mnty, meaning endure. This was used in a description of the bird tȝ mnt nfrt mnty mnty n ḏt ‘the beautiful swallow which endures, which endures eternally’,14

Ba-rn swallows, eh? Love all of this. I gotta take a better look at this person’s sources before I run around exclaiming my new Egypt/Bird Facts out loud but heck, in the meanwhile, I can exclaim them here.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Also, Cryptic (and whomever else), could I invite you to share a bit about Mesopotamian myth or literature if that's your passion? I must admit to a deep fondness for Inanna-Ishtar and all her escapades.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I had never come across that Herodotus claim and was really curious myself so Googled around for a while. It's not a very satisfying answer, but my conclusion was that (1) if there was a primary attestation for an ancient God named Herakles in Egypt, it is currently lost to us, and/or (2) Herodotus is advancing his own pet theory (or piece of fiction) composed of at-best tenuous connections, that is possibly simply wrong.

Here's a couple posts from 1997 when people in a Google group came to similar conclusions. The first user suggests Herodotus mistook his timeline, and the second suggests it is a matter of conflating Herakles with Amon.
https://groups.google.com/g/humanities.classics/c/34yBpJ6s3xA

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao: bless :)

Yes, that's actually pretty close to how I interpreted things. Heryshef's name being read as "He Who is Over Strength," a line drawn by this to the name of Herakles, and Herodotus perceiving that connection, believing in his heart they were the same entity and recording it to root his perception in reality. Great or at least, goon minds :buddy:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 29, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

skasion posted:

Herodotus already had the notion that the Egyptians were the oldest people (except the Phrygians) and invented a bunch of stuff and had the most religious wisdom, so finding that Egyptians knew the Greek name Heracles for a god worshiped in Egypt (without however necessarily knowing the Greek myths about him) he probably just assumed that the Egyptians had the god first.

Yeah, I certainly don't think it's a stretch Herakles was syncretized into the pantheon in places / at times. But Herodotus saying he had been present by name in Egypt since "time immemorial" is the part that sounds like he realigned a fact or two somewhere.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao: it felt weird trying to offer an answer to an Ancient History question based on original research. "I know," I thought, "I will cite two randoms from the pre-Something Awful days who also did Original Research."

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lady Radia posted:

i guess you could say you're DIS-A-PPOINT-ED?

:allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd make a joke about pulling some secret identity shenanigans but I'm pretty sure there's mythological precedent for it, it would explain a lot about the Bast, Hathor and Sekhmet thing.

Joke or no, I mean, kinda-sorta with the -- not secret, but compartmentalized identities anyway. Egyptian mythology has a fluidity associated with deities that as I understand it is somewhat unique to the faith structure. Identities could be shared and borrowed. Priests and magicians, when harnessing the power of a God, would "become" that God for a while -- see also the way a deceased Egyptian would, famously, "become" Osiris during their Underworld journey. As you point out, Hathor and Bast and Sekhmet are all understood as being at once aspects of the same deity, and also independent, individual beings (and I actually think this angle is hardly unique to Egyptian mytho-theology, you see something similar in the description of the modern Christian Trinity); but for example, in the myth of Isis and her child Horus, when Isis is assaulted by Set in the wilderness she is described as "becoming" Sekhmet in her rage as she defends herself. There is an ideological flow to be found in the idea of Goddesses that are closely related in their domains or relationships with humanity, adopting each other's abilities and identities especially readily as situations and/or worshippers demand.

Nefertum and Maahes are a male example of the Bast-Sekhmet-Hathor semi-triad; they are the sons of, well, Bast or Sekhmet depending upon whom you ask, and some sources indicate they are twin brothers -- Nefertum a handsome young God of beauty and the lotus flower, and Maahes a ferocious lion-headed deity of vengeance and protection -- and others indicate they are mirror aspects of each other/one another.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Terrible Opinions posted:

Are there any stories about someone besides Hathor turning into Sekhmet?

Here is a source mentioning the Isis transformation I referred to last page -- just the first book I had available :) It is probably worth noting that Aset Herself, being a God of Magic, can probably take on other Gods' forms more readily than other deities might have been able to. As I also mentioned in the previous post, becoming a God was something pretty explicitly linked, for humans anyway, with the use of magic and ritual.

Egyptian Myths: A Guide to the Ancient Gods and Legends, by Garry J. Shaw posted:

[Gehesty] is also mentioned in Papyrus Jumilhac as the location where Isis defended the body of Osiris from Seth by manifesting herself in various forms: becoming the lion goddess Sekhmet; a dog with a knife for a tail; and a serpent associated with Hathor.

The papyrus itself is apparently only officially translated into French, although this page seems to provide a translation of that. Click through if you'd like the full passage.

Isiopolis.com posted:

Set once more regrouped His allies, but Isis marched against them. She concealed Herself in Gebal which is south of Dunanwi, after having made Her transformation into Her Mother Sekhmet. She sent out a flame against them all, seeing to it that they were burned and devoured by Her flame.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Terrible Opinions posted:

Thanks for the sources. I missed the last few pages of the previous page.

No problem! :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I actually had a similar thought on reading your haruspicy comment. It seems silly now but it probably wasn't a bad thing that sometimes the warmakers looked at a liver and said, "Gods don't feel it, no mass death/murder today"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jazerus posted:

in the early period the israelites were straight up polytheists, and once you know that then you see it everywhere in the old testament. it's woven into the stories so tightly you couldn't excise it without cutting the narrative apart entirely. yahweh was their patron god, and he was a jealous god who preferred you to just worship him, but y'know...a lot of people didn't, and recognized the whole pantheon. there was a lot of religious violence over it, but no actual resolution until well after babylon had rolled in. by the time stuff starts getting written down in the form we know today, monotheism is the order of the day and everything is shifted to cast the other gods as spirits, angels, or demons, but it was an imperfect effort at best. and after that, well, you can't just change it

Yeah, those verses read for me as a combination of the facts you point out here, and also maybe a twist of pro-Yahweh propaganda in the wake of the loss. "Sure, they turned us away that time, but look at the unconscionable sacrifice it took for their God to pull it off."

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EricBauman posted:

That's not to say that it's impossible for these guys to believe they were doing their work with full sincerity.
I guess it's the same as people who truly believe they're mediums who may or may not realize they're just cold reading their audience

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: that said, while I'm sure there was some level of that poo poo going on, the usual best answer for this kind of thing is that yeah, they took that poo poo seriously and the priests were being honest agents when they stirred the entrails. Projecting modern sensibilities re: religion and the impact of spiritual matters back to ancient times rarely works out well.

Yeah, I mean, I certainly can't declare that across the board augurs were always interpreting as honestly as they could; I would imagine especially as divination practice began to decline it might have become more common for results to be fudged or purposely misinterpreted or just made up all together. But I've definitely gotta push back on the idea it could have been consistently commonplace to doctor outcomes. The augurs interpreting auspices were priests first and officials second, and actively lying about the messages received from a God that you and your entire culture believed in and depended upon would be considered some pretty consequential poo poo on multiple levels.

Edit to add that surely there were straight charlatans as well -- we have those in all sorts of fields even today -- but the charlatans probably wouldn't be the ones depended upon by rulers and generals.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 4, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao:, touche

e: btw, Omnomnomnivore, thank you for that video! Good stuff.

e2: time stamp for the 2 Kings conclusions, but everyone should watch the whole thing

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 4, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ugh. Romans continue to be the worst.

e: nailed it

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kylaer posted:

I've seen this treated very believably in some historical fiction. "The lobes of the liver look like those hills right there, can't you see it?" "Yes, of course, a clear sign that this is where the gods want us to stand!" The characters believe in the gods, but they also have a result they want to see, and therefore they find reason to see it.

Yeah, that's a super fair take. My full transparency here is that I practice some divination semi-regularly (best not to ask) so I was definitely reading Eric's comment with some personal bias; and indeed, you are correct, even while always wanting to read things "accurately" I have to remain hyper-cognizant that, being human, I behave like a human, and am always inclined to recognize and understand things I want to recognize and understand, most readily.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Koramei posted:

Is it necessarily a bad thing? We see with folks that plunge into conspiracy and such, you can view yourself as fully detached from religious baggage while imo basically embracing the same attitudes. I'm fully talking out of my rear end here because I've not so much as read a word of actual research on this, but it feels like a human inclination.

Speaking personally, I don't think it's bad per se, but something for me to remain aware of. I like it when my readings confirm my human thoughts and suspicions, and so I need to be careful I am not getting a reading I "like" to the detriment of the actual message/information I am (theoretically) receiving. But the flip side of that is, anyone communicating with anyone else is going to be trying to use words, symbols, a language that the recipient understands properly. So if an entity, a God or whatever, is trying to answer a question or give information it makes sense for them to communicate in a way that will make sense for the person that is asking -- this applies to that example Kylaer gave about the hills. If the characters are inclined to try standing in the hills, they could definitely be making a selective interpretation. But if the gods actually do want them to be standing in the hills... it still makes sense for the liver, the communication device, to have lobes that are viewed and interpreted as hills.

What all this means for me in my own practice is that I tend to overcompensate and veer in the other direction sometimes. I think skepticism is very healthy for things like this, but being so aware of my own bias means I am, if anything, more inclined to take at face value auspices that disagree with any initial expectation I had, than ones with interpretations that support me. :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 4, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

unrelated to current discussion, but a good excuse to use this smiley: :hist101:

4 exceptionally preserved Roman swords discovered in a Dead Sea cave in Israel

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 6, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I've got Akhenaten :hmmyes:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Archaeology!

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2023/10/archaeological-mission-finds-hundreds-of-sealed-jars-in-tomb-of-merit-neith/148768

quote:

ARCHAEOLOGICAL MISSION FINDS HUNDREDS OF SEALED JARS IN TOMB OF MERIT-NEITH

An Egyptian-German-Austrian archaeological mission conducting excavations at the tomb of Merit-Neith have uncovered hundreds of sealed ceramic jars.

Merit-Neith, meaning “Beloved by Neith”, was a consort and regent during the first dynasty. Despite her name not being included in the king lists from the New Kingdom, Merit-Neith may have been the first female pharaoh of Ancient Egypt.

I will be honest that I did not know who Merit-Neith was prior to those articles, and so "first female pharaoh" was a buried lede and immediately became the much more interesting factoid to me. Nevertheless: sealed jars.

https://www.arabtimesonline.com/news/a-remarkable-find-tomb-of-queen-merit-neith-ancient-matriarch/

quote:

KUWAIT CITY, Oct 2: Dating back to the era of Queen Merit Neith, the first female ruler in human history, 5,000-year-old wine jars were found in southern Egypt (Xinhua) October 1, 2023 02:55 PM 3381

The Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities announced, Sunday, the discovery of hundreds of sealed wine jars dating back to the era of Queen Merit Neith, the first female in human history to rule 5000 years ago in the Umm al-Qaab area of ​​Abydos, in Sohag Governorate, southern Egypt.

Dr. Mustafa Waziri, Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities in Egypt, said in a ministry statement that the Egyptian-German-Austrian archaeological mission working in the tomb of Queen Merit-Neith of the First Dynasty in the Umm al-Qaab area of ​​Abydos in Sohag Governorate succeeded in uncovering hundreds of urns.

Closed and never opened, there is leftover wine inside. Waziri pointed out that the discovered jars are large in size and in a good state of preservation, and that the wine remains inside them are about 5,000 years old.

please drink the tomb wine, waziri.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

BrainDance posted:

I wish I had history questions related to this, because it feels like this thread is the closest fit, but then also not really.

Going from just reading Bart Ehrman's the Apocryphal Gospels I decided to just read all of the stuff from Nag Hammadi (reading Meyer's The Nag Hammadi Scriptures, probably gonna read Pagel's The Gnostic Gospels alongside it.) I don't even know why I'm doing this, I guess vaguely because I just wanna get a feel for that whole very early creation of Christianity kind of time and mindset, and the Orthodox "this was the early church they were unified in their beliefs x church is just like that/descended directly from that" is complete bullshit.

And it feels like the gnostic stuff is the closest thing we have texts from for one of those very Roman-era mystery religions.

A lot of it is a pain in the rear end to read, guys jerking themself off about "watch me say some contradictory thing and then say if you don't get it it's because you don't have gnosis!" but I just read the Gospel of Truth, it's genuinely incredibly well written and kinda beautiful. Whoever wrote it was really good at it, and I just kinda wonder who unknown incredibly talented author from 1800 years ago was. Maybe it actually was Valentinian?

Anyway, Gospel of Truth, absolute pro-read. Not even long but just really good and does explain a whole cosmology and stuff with a lot of that kinda gnostic "these words aren't what you think they are when you first read it" thing but still making sense.

:hfive:, currently reading Nag Hammadi buddy

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

❗️

eke out posted:

more details here

https://scrollprize.org/firstletters

some complicated series of machine learning stuff, first to "flatten" the 3d CT scans of the still-rolled originals, then to detect ink itself, then to detect characters. that then gets independently verified by a bunch of experts.

first guy found 'porphyras' then a second guy independently found the same word with a different method, plus a couple more words (and supposedly has even more promising model runs more recently, but that first bit was enough for second place)

This is so cool, thank you!

edit:

quote:

Why were we successful?

There were many contributions from different people in the critical path for these discoveries. Our combination of competition and open source (through “progress prizes”) seems to work! To highlight a few key contributions:

Youssef used a model from the Kaggle competition and was inspired by Luke’s results to look in the same area.
Luke’s search for crackle was directly inspired by Casey’s work.
Casey was able to look through many sheets of papyrus because our segmentation team had mapped out hundreds of cm2.
The segmentation team was able to map out a lot of papyrus because of tooling built by contestants who worked on “Segmentation Tooling Prizes” (work by Julian Schilliger, Chuck, Yao Hsiao, and many others).
The segmentation tooling advances were possible because contestants built on top of existing open source tools by professor Seales’ team (work by Seth Parker, Stephen Parsons, and many others).

And of course, the contest itself wouldn’t have been possible without the foundation that Dr. Seales and his team, along with their funders, have laid out and continue to support.

Looking back at what got us to this point, it seems that almost every single thing we did in running this contest so far has been load-bearing. We’re not quite sure what to make of this! Perhaps that progress is more fragile and success is more contingent than it often seems in retrospect.
I like this part at the end where they point out each discovery/development and step of translation has built a daisy chain of community progress. I think that's lovely :)

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

zoux posted:

I don't know if this is the case with that specific era, but there are a lot of art styles that we look at now as "bad" but there were clear cultural contexts and reasons for these depictions. Like new kingdom Egyptian art, it looks rudimentary and primitive, but ancient Egyptians had a rigid set of rules about proportions and aspective view. Then you look at the Amarna style created during and right after Akhenaten's reign and it's more stylized and dynamic and, to the modern eye, just looks better. But art criticism is eternal and all that art (and Akhenaten's reign) got damnato memoriaed by subsequent pharaohs almost immediately after he died. (This post has not been fact checked by LaB who knows about all this stuff way better than me and would love to see her elaborate on the transition into and back from the Amarna style, and Egyptian artistic conventions in general)

Haha! You are really kind to think of me here, I am flattered and honored. I was also ready to demur completely from having anything interesting to say on the topic -- my interests have lain alongside analysis of Egyptian literary traditions moreso than pictorial traditions, your casual analysis of Amarna art here has me interested in hearing more of what you might know about it in fact! -- when I realized I actually did have a synthesis of relevant fun facts to share! Okay, I say fun, but this is actually going to be a bit dense probably so I hope you knew what you were getting everybody in for, right? Ready? Here we go.

As I say, a lot of the things I am comfortable saying that "I know" about Egyptian religion are based in literary tradition and/or religious instruction texts -- for example, I will assert that myth and narrative were key ontological elements of ancient Egyptian religion, and religious tradition (ie: magic). A properly constructed and communicated narrative had the power to shape both cosmic reality, the eternal cyclical macrocosm of the Gods, and cultural reality, the microcosm of contemporaneous human society. Now, this might sound pretty wild to a modern thinker, but since us both understanding and accepting that this was a cornerstone of ontological belief is necessary for me to move forward with this post effectively, I'll include a quotation from a paper on Egyptian rhetoric I've mentioned in here before, Edward Karshner's "Thought, Utterance, Power," as supporting evidence (the author himself citing a pair of knowledgeable sources) and then assume you believe me about this and continue on.

E. Karshner, Thought, Utterance Power 2011 posted:

In The Mind of Ancient Egypt, Jan Assman identifies this belief in the relationship between the perception and expression of existence as being characteristic of a “cosmological society.” He writes that a cosmological society “lives by a model of cosmic forms of order, which it transforms into political and social order by means of meticulous observation and performance of rituals” (2002, 205). According to Assman’s definition, a cosmological society creates meaning based on the close observation of foundational forms in a manner that closely references the original forms or order. Assman goes on to explain that meaning emerges from the ability to “adapt the order of the human world to that of the cosmos [and] to keep the cosmic process itself in good working order” (2002, 205). The cosmos itself becomes a heuristic revealing mystical knowledge that establishes the local, personal, and social order at the same time that the local, personal, and social order serves as a heuristic in establishing magical practices that maintain the cosmological order. In other words, while the agent is speaking from a social scene to a human audience, he or she is simultaneously addressing deities in the cosmological realm. The disputants and the discourse, then, speak from and to a complex, multilayered situation.

In magical utterances, there is an appeal to another set of circumstances outside the immediate scene of the agent. This rhetorical scene of magic is characterized by Mircea Eliade as a life lived “on a two-fold plane; it takes its course as human existence and, at the same time, shares in a transhuman life, that of the cosmos of the gods” (1957, 167). Symbolically, this twofold existence is represented by what Eliade terms a homology. Simply defined, a homology is a correspondence between macrocosm and microcosm.

Okay, so the people of ancient Egypt believed themselves part of a homology; part of the way they participated in and maintained this homology, maintained the cosmological order itself, was expressing it through myth. Just as Isis could cut through Set's sly persuasive speech and decipher the truth He tried to disguise within it, so could a mediator debating in a court of law suss out the truth buried in their opponent's remarks. Just as Ra's barque crossed the sky every night so that He might do battle with and defeat Apep, the embodiment of chaos and primordial darkness, so each day the sun would rise again and remind us of the triumph of the forces of righteousness, stability, and order over those of chaos and destruction. Myth, or the narrative involved in myth, was part of the very basis of functioning reality. Despite this, myth did not always take the form of purely literary tradition (!). Ancient Egypt evinced use of architecture as a method of shaping and developing images or fragments of story into creative narrative. We will come back to the Amarna art shortly, but first we will look at the abstract of a paper by Jennifer Hellum called "Toward an Understanding of the Use of Myth in Pyramid Texts."

J. Hellum, Toward an Understanding of the Use of Myth in Pyramid Texts 2014 posted:

The lack of narrative myth in Old Kingdom religious literature has long been the subject of discussion. Recently, the discussion has moved from whether myth existed in the Old Kingdom, to how it existed. The Pyramid Texts provide an excellent testing ground for the study of myth. Each king possesses a distinct group of texts, different from the other kings', but they are all used for the same goal and in exactly the same physical context. It is proposed that the architecture of the textual chambers works as a boundary for the texts, and that in doing so, it provides a framework for understanding the corpora of texts as a myth in themselves. Thus, the architecture is the metaphorical beginning and end of the myth, and the texts can be examined as the content of that myth. Together, they comprise a metamyth, a myth that includes the physical context of the texts and their literary content.

It begins with a quotation from anthropologist Claude Lévi-Strauss.

quote:

If there is a meaning to be found in mythology, this cannot reside in the isolated elements which enter into the composition of a myth, but only in the way those elements are combined. 2. Although myth belongs to the same category as language, being, as a matter of fact, only part of it, language in myth unveils specific properties. 3. Those properties are only to be found above the ordinary linguistic level; that is, they exhibit more complex features beside those which are to be found in any kind of linguistic expression. - Claude Lévi-Strauss

I am not going to focus too much on this paper, but it is very helpful for us here! What we are taking from it is the proposition that, in the absence of what we recognize today as "traditional" myth narrative such as we see in the New Kingdom and are well acquainted with from later culture like the Greeks and Romans, there was an established tradition of Egyptians expressing myth through the narrative framing device of tomb architecture.

The paper's author also gives a nod to that homology idea we discussed earlier.

Toward an Understanding of the Use of Myth in Pyramid Texts posted:

From the evidence of the Pyramid Texts, and generally throughout the ancient literature, the Egyptian use of myth in the Old Kingdom seems to have been based on allusion. This is most obviously the case in the funerary texts, where the king was set side by side with the deities and his actions echoed theirs and vice versa. By alluding to situations in which the king was geographically on a divine plane, the actions of the king were paralleled with the actions of the deities on that plane.

So to summarize what we have so far: the religious cosmology of the time required "the Universe" to have a reciprocal relationship with "human reality." They were interdependent and the effects of actions taken in one half of the homology played out within both of them. Members of society were expected to participate in that cosmology through a relationship with myth, the narratives of which can be expressed either pictorially or with language, to maintain a properly functioning Universe. Finally, as far back as the Old Kingdom we see evidence of physically constructed spaces designed to evoke mythical narrative; and by building the "spell," if you will (and I am afraid you must), of the mytho-magical narrative into the pyramids themselves, the king was reinforcing the ontological narrative expressed thereby. Hellum alludes again to a perceived blurring between myth and reality.

The fact that the king was placed into the cosmography, solar passage, and myth of ascent by virtue of his use of the texts as a vehicle of ascendance indicates that the foundational mythic ideas were understood to be as real as the ascendance of the king. For the king to ascend to the gods, he had to move through celestial geography. In the process, the concept of the sky as a part of the afterlife was dropped and the reality of the sky as part the afterlife was assumed. In other words, the king, being mobile in the afterlife and hence alive in that environment, reflected that quality of reality on his surroundings as a direct result of his own animation. The same was true conversely, the environment providing a goal to which the king endeavoured to attain. As with much of Egyptian religion, the idea was circular and unending.109

"As with much of Egyptian religion, the idea was circular and unending." Truth lol. Any time I am discussing these things with anybody offline I am constantly doing these "so on and so forth" circular motions with my hands to try to summarize what I mean, it's terrible, I gotta stop that.

Okay but here's the thing though, this practice of using funerary texts to reinforce the cosmology of the living religion -- Akhenaten, the Amarna period pharoah, I think everyone here knows what he's most famous for. He was responsible for the national conversion to Atenism, which I will ask Wikipedia to remind us about because I dislike him personally and so he doesn't get my energy.

Wikipedia posted:

Atenism, also known as the Aten religion,[1] the Amarna religion,[2] and the Amarna heresy, was a religion in ancient Egypt. It was founded by Akhenaten, a pharaoh who ruled the New Kingdom under the Eighteenth Dynasty.[3] The religion is described as monotheistic or monolatristic, although some Egyptologists argue that it was actually henotheistic.[4] Atenism was centred on the cult of Aten, a god depicted as the disc of the Sun. Aten was originally an aspect of Ra, Egypt's traditional solar deity, though he was later asserted by Akhenaten as being the superior of all deities.[5] In the 14th century BC, Atenism was Egypt's state religion for around 20 years, and Akhenaten met the worship of other gods with persecution; he closed many traditional temples, instead commissioning the construction of Atenist temples, and also suppressed religious traditionalists. However, subsequent pharaohs toppled the movement in the aftermath of Akhenaten's death, thereby restoring Egyptian civilization's traditional polytheistic religion. Large-scale efforts were then undertaken to remove from Egypt and Egyptian records any presence or mention of Akhenaten, Atenist temples, and Atenist assertions of a uniquely supreme god.

Atenism :argh:

So here now is one additional paper to which I will be making reference: "Component Design as a Narrative Device in Amarna Tomb Art" by Elizabeth Meyers. As you said in your original post, zoux, there was a homogeneity of expression in funerary art which we can now posit is due to being carefully organized and expressed onto-cosmological religious myth. Right? It supports an expression of reality as understood through a relationship with that religion and those Gods. And now here Akhenaten is with a whole new religion! With whole new myths! Akhenaten had to come up with a new, distinct way of presenting the components of myth and narrative to separate his God's cosmology from those of the previous ones -- so he did.

This paper starts with some now-familiar themes...

Component Design as a Narrative Device in Amarna Tomb Art posted:

Narrative is usually perceived as a sequence of episodes conceived within a temporal continuity. A pictorial narrative often evokes in the audience a sense of time and space -- even if arbitrary or fabulous. However, the art historian who looks to Amarna tomb art for a unified story beginning with "once upon a time," followed by sequentially ordered images and ending with "they lived happily in the here-after," is likely to be disappointed, because the story does not unfold in a linear time or a sequential use of space.

Instead the narrative process in Amarna tomb art is selective and the "story" constructed in sequences of logically and temporally connected episodes within a timeless universal. As a result of the special role that time plays in funerary pictorial narrative, the images in the Amarna tombs are given a conceptual ordering that emphasizes contemporary scenes and events designed to induce audience participation. To succeed in this requires an audience with the capacity to share, to comprehend both the experiences depicted and meaning of the images. It is in this recreation of temporal events that we come to realize that there are a number of ways to organize narrative time and that temporal continuity can be maintained within the larger (universal) and timeless (cosmological) depiction of contemporary events.

...with a twist! Here's something interesting from Hellum's paper, the one about myth in the Pyramid Texts of the Old Kingdom.

Klimkeit has made the observation that "the spatial type of thinking (is) more relevant to the Egyptian than the temporal," meaning that the area of the sky (and the general after-life) as the setting for the king's journey is more important than the time it took to be traversed. Time, in this context, was endless, one might almost say non-existent, with the sole indication that time passed being the movement of the sun through the sky; space, on the other hand, was there to be moved through. Events occurring within the limits of the sky were contingent on space rather than on time. The length of time it took the king to reach the seat of the deities was never mentioned or alluded to in the Texts; the journey and accompanying use of space provided the focus.

Note that the author of the Amarna paper discusses the way the art of the Amarna tombs are laid out to create a special relationship with time, while the author of the Old Kingdom emphasizes an observation that Egyptian thinking at that time, with that religion, was predominantly tuned to space.

But back to Amarna:

Some of the most intriguing art of ancient Egypt was produced during the Amarna period. Among the art historical problems pertaining to the various artistic productions of the period are the forty-four rock tombs carved by the officials who served Akhenaten at Amarna. The tombs (seventeen in the northern group and twenty-seven in the southern group) comprise a unit of material contemporary with the reign of Akhenaten and thus form a primary source of information about the Amarna period and Akhenaten's role as king. However, while many unique features of Amarna tomb art have been discussed, scholars have not recognized their original purpose: to blend skillfully events from the career of the deceased official with the theological doctrine of Atenism and Akhenaten's authority as king. Embedded in the style and use of images, scenes, and events contemporary with the audience's perception of them are metaphorical expressions of the political, theological, and historical pressures of the Amarna period. Thus, Amarna as the seat of government during Akhenaten's reign represents both a political and a religious entity. When we regard the tombs in this order and context we find their structure is not an ancillary element, but one that is primary to the programmatic ensemble and order of political and religious circumstances.

Ah! Maybe previous scholars have overlooked this, but not the attentive folks here :) you all guessed what Akhenaten was up to. As I recall, this paper does not quite dare get into the full ontology involved behind this practice of the king "to blend skillfully events [...] with theological doctrine." But he was practicing a new or altered form of that same onto-cosmological expression centuries of Egyptian kings had practiced before him: developing his narrative, developing his religious cosmology, strengthening his relationship to his God and in turn his God's influence over homologous reality.

This raises questions, of course. This practice has long been used to strengthen the ontologies of Gods which were now the enemy. How does one implement it in such a way that one would be sure it empowered only his new, favored God, and not all the ones for whom it had been used for centuries and centuries beforehand? Is it that one could selectively alter the very experience of others' perceptions of reality?

Yes!

Zoux, you describe the Amarna art as more dynamic than that of the traditional Egyptian religion, and that's because while traditional religious art emphasizes use of space, Amarna art emphasizes use of time. You remember those two excerpts up there! Here's a couple diagrams Meyers includes in her paper, which she states are the variations of standard layout for tombs of the time period.

She discusses at length the way the tomb layouts -- not just the walls and corners but the doorways and overhangs and columns too -- shepherd and influence the spectator to and through the tomb. She describes the artist's use of space as a tool to actively manipulate the visitor's perception of the passage of time -- which as our Hellum paper notes, is an element once seen as wholly irrelevant in onto-cosmological narrative construction. We will highlight the following:

Closely related to the point of the deceased's status is the presence of an audience in the tombs, a fact that distinguishes Amarna tomb art from Egyptian tomb art in general. While Egyptian tombs are usually thought of as sealed for eternity, it is known that the Amarna tombs were open and that friends and relatives made memorial visits. There are several indications that there was access to the tombs including various desert roads leading to them and to and from the desert altars. Petrie has attributed use of the roads to workmen and funerary processions of friends and relatives. The presence of votive stelae in tomb 23 of Any verifies that during the Amarna period friends of the deceased made visits to the tombs.

In the tombs, status is asserted only in relationship to the king. He is the largest figure depicted and the authority behind all communicative acts with the Aten. The psvchological effect of Akhenaten on the audience is purposeful: to affirm his right to rule through the rites he performs to the god, in order to perpetuate the ideological and social order of his reign. While status may affect the manner in which a subject is presented, the way in which it is represented determines the political message the audience will take. It is precisely this existential dimension, that is, the exploitation of the audience's time and space, on which all else depends. Herein lies the key to the narrative technique of component parts in Amarna tomb art. The tomb space is contemporary with the spectator's time. In reality, representing space and moving in space are two different things, and they can be distinguished from the implied movement depicted in the reliefs. However, such movement also manifests itself in the duration of the spectator's time and represents not only a movement from but a movement toward something.

By attributing a temporal significance to the tomb environment, we are also admitting that the narrative aspect of the art must be grounded in the spectator's perception and that the spectator is the bearer of meaning. Because the pictorial space in the tombs is structured and oriented to the spectator, time mediates between the object and the audience's perception of the subject. The purpose of the syntactically marked narrative units [that is, the tomb design and layout] is to use time to shape the spectator's experience and give it meaning. Moreover, though the transitions from one tomb area to another area are spatial, the links between the tomb chambers and relief subjects are metaphorical expressions of Akhenaten's ideology and are by extension common political experiences held by the audience. Thus, while isolated from the real world, the tombs contain within themselves the constructed regulated structures of that world.

Akhenaten included the traditional element of narrative in building the structures of his religion's cosmology; but the person receiving a narrative developed in part by image or architecture is affected in their reception by those two additional elements of time and space. As expression of traditional Egyptian religion placed its emphasis on the element of spatial orientation, Atenism differentiated itself by placing focus on the temporal. I know I've said this three times now, but it's really ontologically important! Because of this simple skew in perspective on the cosmic forces involved in sacred narrative, the magic the Amarna art invoked would be seen as lingering ontological power structures for the heretic pharaoh's God -- in addition to being generally offensive. It's best not to leave those things around.

Narrative has been defined as storytelling. It has been assumed that narrative necessitates some expenditure of time. While "story" may represent basic material of narrative, time has traditionally been considered a necessary condition. In pictorial narrative, space, actual or illusionary, must be considered an additional condition, whether the narrative unfolds in single or multiple images.

[...]

But the Amarna artist goes beyond these themes and creates a system that illustrates a complex interweaving of images and texts to produce a message understandable only to viewers familiar with the religion of the Aten and not the earlier traditions of the worship of Amun. To comprehend the system one must understand Amarna tomb art against the climate of religious controversy raging throughout Akhenaten's reign. Without this background, it is difficult for us today to perceive the underlying narrative. Use of the typological facade image certainly limits the narrative as story. But the images that are evoked form a basic reference to the narrative theme, and it is a combination of images, rather than one story, that is significant for the development of theme in pictorial narrative. The genius of the Amarna artist lies in the originality with which he conceived and exploited narrative as theme. Thus regardless of the simplicity or complexity of each narrative, the structure of the narrative remains the same.

Against this thematic manipulation, the relief panels interact in such a way that the audience is brought into the narrative experience. Even though there is a greater emphasis on theme in Amarna narrative than on story line, the images and texts are able to communicate a profound historical story. All of this is possible and achieved through the use of metaphor, moving the audience to experience the real through imitation.

WOW I GOT CARRIED AWAY! TL;DR!

Tomb art was explicitly magical and the tomb art of the Amarna period was meant to empower the God Aten, patron of heretic pharaoh Akhenaten. The art was unique to the period of Atenism because it reflected a different cosmology! When Mr. "Akhen-aten" got got and traditional Egyptian religion was re-established as the proper way to be, the magical structures (tombs) built in support of Atenism had to be rendered ineffective, and a return was made to the previously established magical religious practice (tomb art) meant to empower and reinforce the onto-cosmology supported by the traditional Gods of Egypt.

Or you know, something like that.

Thanks for asking! 😅

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 1, 2023