Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Speaking of the HBO Rome series. Is the depiction of urban life for the masses accurate? It looks utterly dire and devoid of any kind of rule of law.
Also would it be safe to assume that Aetia's role in the series is to represent Rome itself?- they're both pragmatic, lucky, ruthless and have a knack for winning the devotion of powerful men...
(Long-time lurker. Thanks posters one and all, for this most excellent thread!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There's something about the phrase "wooden plough" that conjures up feelings of exhaustion...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
My Pointless Time Travel Dream is to head back to Rome with a full orchestra and see what they think of the Ride of the Valkyries or Daphnis et Chloe or one of Bruckner's symphonies. (Or better yet, Mr. Bach.)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'd chuck Enrico Dandolo in a canal, and save Byzantium.
Alternatively, introduce the soothing tones and subtle harmonies of the bagpipes to Genghis and the lads.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Can anyone comment on the historical accuracy of Colleen Coullogh's Rome series (The First Man in Rome, etc)? The eye-glazing complexity of all the legal and political bits certainly has the ring of truth to it...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Did they ever check the black boxes in those obelisks

What a curiously sinister phrase.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hmm. What does double phalanx mean exactly?
Thanks for the post, by the way.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Random question - Can anyone tell me what Varangerfjord translates to, and, more importantly, if it has any connection with the Varangian Guard?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Thanks everyone! It's just one of those things I've been wondering about for years and years.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Scarodactyl posted:

I know I missed Commodus chat by a few days, but I forgot I made a Commodus emote a couple years ago:

That golden collar is amazing. I love the quality of goldwork you see in a lot of ancient jewelry.

...the lion is blinking.

Telsa Cola posted:

Welcome to archaeology. Someone I worked with spent two months excavating a monumental structure and every night the most common response to how the work was going was "still have no loving idea what im looking at".

That sounds super interesting. Did they ever work out what they were looking at?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
From a page or two ago, but regarding the Korean tiger art- there often seems to be a little black and white bird accompanying the tiger. What's the reason for that?

(Also, this has been an incredible few pages. Australian snakes being descended from highly venomous sea snakes makes a certain amount of sense...)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Don't forget, New Zealand and the Roman Empire fought a common enemy. People get a slightly panicky look when you bring that up.

Anyway, seconding (thirding? fourthing?) the bit about discovering Byzantium through Age of Empires. I still remember, as an awkward teenager in a sport-obsessed town, reading in the in-game encyclopedia about this luxury-and-learning-obsessed empire that had zero qualms bribing its enemies if that was cheaper than stabbing them, and thinking, these are my people.

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Exarch is still my favorite title for a government official ever.

Absolutely.

skasion posted:

Church titles > secular titles. Archimandrites and hieromonks!

Although....

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grand Fromage posted:

The Ottomans.

Yep! And Australia and New Zealand are different places, guys...

e: and now I want an alt-history pulp novel where Justinian, instead of getting monks to smuggle silkworms out of China, sinks his efforts into despatching a fleet to Australia.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 5, 2018

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
How many slingers can you have in a formation? I'm picturing a few hundred dudes swinging large rocks around on long ropes, and the potential for accidental brainings seems really really high. I mean, if the guy behind you gets it the slightest bit wrong, say goodbye to the back of your head.

Also regarding The True Secret Name of Rome, there's a rad scene in one of Colleen McCollough's books where an old patrician protests the actions of Sulla (or Caesar? Can't remember) by standing up screaming "amor! amor!"- the Secret Name, of course- causing everyone else to cry and run around in circles and so on.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jack2142 posted:

The Roman Empire was actually just a thought experiment to demonstrate the Ship of Theseus.

But Troy pre-dates Theseus! Major flaw in the argument there.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Anyone got that sublime jock/nerd goth/prep ancient civilization chart?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If it weren't for the fact that they actually existed, I'd find triremes horribly unrealistic.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
You know, I'd love to see a film about the battle of Teutoberg Forest shot in the style of one of those horror movies where the characters all get messily eliminated one by one. It could really work.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Syncopated posted:

Is it me or is the perspective on like the middle boat pretty hosed up?

I like the shields. "Things appear bigger if they are further away, right? That's how this 'perspective' thing works?"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hi thread! Today commemorates 566 years since the fall of Constantinople. Why not commemorate this date by making a mosaic, or bribing a Viking, or, uh, hiring monks to smuggle silkworms out of China? Actually, don't do those last two things.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FuturePastNow posted:

the dead legionaries were probably delicious, too

Well, if they were from XX Valeria Victrix, it would add new meaning to the phrase "long pig"

Grand Fromage posted:

In all the years of archaeology and all the digs, we've found... ten, maybe? A similar number of swords. One complete shield. A complete set of armor has never been found that I can recall, only fragments. That's at least true for lorica segmentata.

What, really? That's amazing, and sort of unsettling.
(I need to start a blog about the Roman Empire being a hoax and the Finns inventing helicopters ten thousand years ago, or something.)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

Romans did have a secret police from the late 4th century AD on, the agentes in rebus (“people active in things”) — a militarized bureaucratic courier force immune to prosecution and answerable to the emperor. They had quite a few responsibilities and a nasty reputation, but there were never many, around 1000 at a time for the whole empire, which should remind us that the biggest reason why the empire didn’t have the characteristics of a modern totalitarian state was practical, not ideological. The imperial government, even the late imperial version which is commonly considered bloated and overexpensive, was minuscule relative to its territory.

As for concentration camps — why bother when you can just sell people into slavery instead?

e: actually my bad, the figure of 1000ish is for the eastern empire only. But still!

From several pages back, but gosh if "people active in things" isn't the most magnificently, ominously vague title ever.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zopotantor posted:

Ratgeb later took part in the Peasant's War and was executed for that by :nms:being torn apart by four horses. :black101:

I sort of wondered how that works, and then I decided that I really really don't want to know.

Jazerus posted:

in context "agentes in rebus" is less vague - yeah, if taken totally literally and in the wonderfully stilted victorian tradition of latin translation, it means "people active in things", but both words had narrower senses based on context, practically speaking. "actors in public affairs" - the people who actually do the physical business of government - is more of the intended meaning.

Cool, thanks- that makes sense. Still an awesome name.

chitoryu12 posted:

The modern “medieval fantasy” also incorporates a lot of Early Modern and even later aesthetic depending on the author. It only takes one discovery of firearms (whether actual gunpowder or a fantasy equivalent) to suddenly shift the setting to the early 18th century down to the frock coats and pistol dueling stances.

Oh my goodness, yes. As a Pratchett fan it's been interesting watching Ankh-Morpork gradually change from a late Medieval setting to a Victorian one, all in a handful of in-world decades...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Common enough that inflicting a flogging upon a dead horse could become a clichéd phrase.
When you think of the stuff that humans do to humans, what we do to animals is a whole new level of ghastliness...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I want Australia's giant Gippsland earthworm to go invasive.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

professor metis posted:

why did i google this

my aunt lives in gippsland, i'm never visiting her again

The line about the sound that they make tipped me over from "hmm, fascinating" to "nnnNNNOOO"

Libluini posted:

There was a scandal in France a couple years ago when Zoologists finally took notice that the country was slowly being invaded by new species of flatworms.

The problem was that most biologists in Europe had specialized into hip new branches like biotech or biogenetics, and the actual "look at animal"-biologists had fallen out of favor to the point there weren't enough around to notice this. It also didn't help that by the time science took notice, approximately half the loving population had seen and reported the new worms. Scientists had just gone out of their way to ignore the growing number of reports.

Out of curiosity, do we know where the invasive flatworms came from? I want a New Zealand species to be the invasive menace, for once

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tias posted:

I'm really impressed y'all got so far. My all-time VIP is Gaius Succus II, who made a bit inland in Africa before being super killed in the dick by Libyan spearman :eng99:

This phrasing made me lol.
I wonder what proportion of the game's users come from this thread...?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Magnificent.
Reminds me of the very lofty and elevated language with which Tolkien indicates a character is a total babe.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Arglebargle III posted:

The helmet is boar tusk sewn to a leather cap.

Walking in that thing cannot have been fun. Bang... bang... bang.... on one knee, then the other, every step...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Today is the 567th anniversary of the fall of Constantinople. You may wish to commemorate this date by creating a mosaic, appreciating some architecture, or having a rival's nose removed.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
At work, we have a 4-metre pole we use to open high windows. I've used it, and my question is: how on earth did large groups of spear/pikemen manage to walk around without constantly accidentally stabbing their friends?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
One of my favourite bits in the Lord of the Rings is when Pippin keeps asking where he can get something to eat, and the soldiers of Gondor nod thoughtfully and take this as a sign that Pippin is a true veteran soldier.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Arglebargle III posted:

It rules that Pippin, by far the dumbest Hobbit, is the highest rank.

It rules that the dumbest hobbit rules.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Is that a 420 blazer he's wearing

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Koramei posted:

It won't load so no clue what it's actually about

Well, it probably has a ritual or religious purpose

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CleverHans posted:

Just wait till everybody a thousand years from now finds all of our ritual or religious Funko Pops.

They're like ushabti, owned by people whose lives are over.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I am in need of a Polynesian island-settling board game

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I am greaved by that terrible pun.

Anyway- roman and greek swords. They didn't seem to have much of a cross guard on the hilt- why is that? I would've thought protection of the sword hand would be a pretty high priority.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'd be interested to work out how long people can actually fight, before gunpowder. I mean, one soccer match generally has me pretty wiped out; on the one hand I'm terribly unfit, but on the other hand, I'm not wearing 20kg of armour, I'm unwounded, and I haven't had to march to the field beforehand. Battles might have gone on all day, but how much of that would an individual be fighting for?

Well the bottom right kind of fits; ANZACs and the Byzantines fought a common enemy in the Ottoman Turks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It depends... I think soldiers, serious athletes, serious backpackers, etc probably understand it. I mean when you max out anaerobic and hit that lactic threshold and your muscles don’t want move any more but you have to keep them moving, plenty of people get that. When you eat 10,000+ calories a day but are doing an intense aerobic activity for so long you are losing 1+ pounds a day sustained for over a month, people still do that level of activity.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to sustain that kind of activity after suffering any kind of wound? Like, if you're bleeding, does your body just say "nope"?