Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are we sure that the Mycenean Greeks didn't drink a lot of MD 20/20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thus, the greeks had cat heads.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How broad is the consensus for a maximalist view that 10s of millions died during Justinian's Plague

Actually I didn't see this was a three year old study that is controversial and covered in the wikipedia article so I'll ask y'all, do you think the plague was or was not a big deal

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 1, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol the "put em in dresses" NFL CTE youtube commentators but for massive head wounds caused by shrapnel. Rub some dirt on it!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Same thing with body armor as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waifu Radia posted:

yeah it’s usually barely a step removed from straight up “death to Islam” poo poo, byzaboo to hate pipeline is real

So I guess they don't view the Ottomans as the successor state then

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I call that, to coin a term, syncretism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are tons, but specifically for ancient history I like Epithemeus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gBj4qAowCE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really do believe that the documentary/edutainment sector of youtube is doing stuff that is orders of magnitude better than the History Channel or Discovery ever did, but the problem is the algorithm and the fact that so many nazis are into history. With that said, as far as I know - and I try very hard to determine this every time I find a new channel - none of these guys are facists

HIstoria Civilis is fairly amateur but also very good at explaining basic roman history and culture. In the beginning he was 100% Rome but he's broadened his scope in recent years.

Invicta is more pro but his videos tend more towards pop history and he also does a lot of let's plays and not specifically history-focused content.

Kings and Generals is probably the gold standard of history doc channels, but they are really military focused. In a half hour, you're going to get ~10ish minutes on historical context and 20 min of squares moving around battlefields. It also covers allllll the eras of history, ranging from Egypt vs. Canaanites at Medigo all the way up to Ukraine.

Oh and if you want prehistorical prehistory Stefan Milo covers early hominids through agriculture.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You ever make a homemade bowl of cereal by pouring cereal in your mouth and then milk? well, that's the theory

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kylaer posted:

I think the French made up their own very specific definition of restaurant so that they can lay claim to inventing the concept. Much like champagne :hmmyes:

Yes and no. Escoffier invented the brigade de cuisine - the chef/sous chef/saucier/etc. hierarchy that posh restaurants use to this day. He also codified and standardized a lot of cooking methods and recipes. Kind of did for food what Napoleon did for field artillery, and in fact it was Escoffier's experience the the French army that inspired him to militarize the kitchen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rome (or Pompeii, as they'll tell you when you go there) Also had these little food "stands" that I've always imagined were like the noodle huts in Blade Runner, but with fish sauce.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Agean90 posted:

really the idea of having other people cook your food is not a great leap. Get an urban population big enough and enough abundance that you can buy ingredients without a lot of trouble and eventually someone will sell food from a stall.

Yeah, that was the dynamic within the roman cities, since you had huge populations living in insulae - basically apartments - and like many SROs today, not very many facilities. Plus, you think a hotplate is a fire hazard, well there's a reason Crassus was the richest man in Rome

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah those two dudes basically invented modern fine dining. I know about him because Escoffier School of Culinary Arts has emerged as a competitor to the other major culinary academies, and my friend went there and I read the guys wikipedia article during the graduation ceremony.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

one sort of surprising datapoint on indoor fires is that the chimney was invented in the 12th century, and weren't common/universal for another 500 years after that

Hole in the roof worked for my father, his father, and his father before him. I'm not one to put on airs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

-17C in Rome that year

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:hmmyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm confused by the concept of ancient cities being built atop one another, like Troy. How exactly did that work, were these cities mounded up and higher than the surrounding land or is it a term that isn't really describing what it sounds like

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But what did they build on top of? Like literally, what was the sturdy platform on which the foundations of the new city would be built. Were these built-upon cities always already derelict or destroyed?

Grand Fromage posted:

Buildings don't last forever and get demolished. Some of the materials are reusable, some aren't. Now imagine how much work it would be to remove all the unusable building debris before trucks existed. Nobody's doing that poo poo. Instead you just kinda level it out and bury it then build on top of that.

Now do this for thousands of years and you end up with tells.

Ok so it's not like it's built upon the roofs of the old city. So, how thick are these layers?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Yes, literally they were mounded up on top of the remains of hundreds or thousands of years of past habitation. Some cities would have been built around a high place to begin with since that’s a good way to defend your settlement. Mounds like this are quite common in some places in the near east, the archaeological term for such a mound is “tell”.

Impression of what Troy looked like when Schliemann first got to tearing it up:

Ah, well there you go. Thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bronze Age Collapse? (the Sea People stole all the letters)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Christianity is extremely post-stoic and one could argue that Christian asceticism and monasticism is a form of stoic practice.

This is a step further, but is there a tradition of mortification of the flesh in stoicism? Besides Porcia of course.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

a fatguy baldspot posted:

They found a Roman dildo in England

Odd that Nigel Farage was actually in the British Isles for once

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CrypticFox posted:

Barbarians is pretty good, its set in Germany during the reign of Augustus.

I don't know how historically accurate this one is but I'll second the recommendation. It's about the rebellion under Arminius - he's the protagonist of the show - and they actually have the Romans speaking Latin in every scene. And the Germans speaking German! (it's a german production) There's a second season, I haven't watched yet. Also Britannia, which is about the Roman invasion of Britain, but that one's got druidic magic and poo poo so I wouldn't vouch for its accuracy, but it is a good show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cato is better represented to modern sensibilities as a crotchety old coot

e: it's the authenticity vs accuracy thing again, like they want to us to understand Cato as a relic of the old republic, staid and hidebound, and modern audiences are going to respond more to an older actor in a role like that. A younger actor would just come across as an rear end in a top hat, and while Cato the Younger is certainly an rear end in a top hat, there's a difference between a middle aged rear end in a top hat and a very old rear end in a top hat. It's like in Deadwood, no they didn't say motherfucker and cocksucker constantly in 1880 they considered oaths like "poo poo" and "crap" to be equivalent to motherfucker but that wouldn't come across to a modern audience. So in a case like that, striving for accuracy would actually detract from the piece, rather than add to it. (Deadwood has probably the most stylized dialogue of any modern production I can think of so it goes beyond just that, but it's a deliberate choice to exaggerate the profanity, and not just for shock value)

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 23, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

John Leguizamo: "And Brutus said that Caesar was hosed up, and Brutus is cool right?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Glah posted:

If filmmakers can't decide between church Latin and upper class English when making Roman media, they should compromise and just hire Romanian speakers!

Actually one of the filmmakers should abscond to Constantinople and make his own movie in the proper Greek.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whorelord posted:

I love reading academic history books for the bits when the author starts absolutely savaging someone else's scholarship and basically accuses them of failing to do the most basic of research. Reading a history of Parthia, Reign of Arrows right now and the author routinely just starts savaging this one author for uncritically considering ancient historian's biases against Eastern peoples, it's great.

https://twitter.com/ClementsAustinJ/status/1631353029495758848

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tulip posted:

Triremes are pretty purpose built coastal warships, like you may notice if you look at a diagram that they don't carry supplies. Their operational range is functionally "one day."

Which is not to say that the Romans/Greeks would be incapable of making a boat that could operate further afield, but triremes were pretty built specifically to "deliver a giant metal ram right into another boat right next to you as quickly as possible." Not troop transportation or commerce or even colonial naval patrols.

What was the cargo vessel of the Roman era?

I asked this once some years ago in the milhist thread, I don't think anyone had an answer, but we see sailing technology progress to bigger and faster ships until steam made them obsolete, but was there some technology or know-how deficit that prevented development of tall ships during earlier? Or: why didn't the Romans build HMS Victory

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tulip posted:

As for why the tech didn't get to where it hypothetically could have earlier: I have no idea. I can say that there's a huge interruption where ships of the size that romans made were not made for centuries because there were just so many economic obstacles to shipping in the way the romans did during the middle ages, but i can't speak to like what sort of specific techniques lead to x y or z, cuz tbh I just don't know very much about shipbuilding and it seems like kind of a tough question.

My uneducated guess would be that sailing conditions are very different in the Med than the Atlantic, but I don't actually know what the med is like in that regard!

loving rules

"Stop pulling!"
"No you guys stop pulling, it's our elephant"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"People called landlords they own the house"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

didn't renters in urban apartments exist? Was there a word for the kind of business Crassus did?

Racketeering

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

On the seventh day before the Ides (June 7), moreover, on the sacred day of Pentecost itself, in the palace which is called the crown hall, I was led before Nicephorus—a monstrosity of a man, a pygmy, fat-headed and like a mole as to the smallness of his eyes; disgusting with his short, broad, thick, and half hoary beard; disgraced by a neck an inch long; very bristly through the length and thickness of his hair; in colour an Ethiopian; one whom it would not be pleasant to meet in the middle of the night; with extensive belly, lean of loin, very long of hip considering his short stature, small of shank, proportionate as to his heels and feet; clad in a garment costly but too old, and foul-smelling and faded through age; shod with Sicyonian shoes; bold of tongue, a fox by nature, in perjury and lying a Ulysses. Always my lords and august emperors ye seemed to me shapely, how much more shapely after this! Always magnificent, how much more magnificent after this! Always powerful, how much more powerful after this! Always gentle, how much more gentle henceforth! Always full of virtues, how much fuller henceforth. At his left, not in a line but far below, sat two ​petty emperors, once his masters, now his subjects. His discourse began as follows:

Get his rear end your eminence

In that letter, by his own accounting, he is insanely confrontational with the emperor and his court, and they with him, is that how it was done or is he just embellishing it to make himself look more courageous? Fiction has led me to believe that medieval diplomacy was a delicate dance of manners, protocols, and allusion, but these guys are calling each other dishrags

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In that 10th century bishop's letter, they refer to the ERE as "the Greeks". Was that shade or was that how they were generally thought of at the time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Freudian posted:

Both, I think. Everyone knows they hate it, but they're Greek *really*.

I mean they speak greek! They live IN GREECE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jazerus posted:

can't have your dad getting beaten up by some smelly weirdo, he's gotta be a witty and charming villain to be able to do so well against the might of the empire

This dude's nostrils were INSANELY good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was he not?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The earliest confirmed case of what we would call serial killing is de Rais right? Or do we have evidence of earlier ones?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh right. The hyperwar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never considered it anything more than the fact that 100-, 1000-year floods happen all the time across history and every culture has experienced many, many of these, (especially since many, if not all, of these societies were built on major rivers) I don't think it reaches as far back as millennia-old cultural memories of the end of the Ice Age.