Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ez posted:

Horrible cameos? I think you're forgetting something.

Holy ol' Jesus!
One of my favorite subtle movie moments is in that segment, when you see a bottle of Popov or two around Jordy Verrill's house. There aren't that many depictions of that awful stuff in many movies. When I was in my early 20's and drinking large amounts of it, I always enjoyed seeing it in my viewings of Creepshow.

Fun fact "Popov" backwards is exactly the sound a drinker makes when over-consuming that particular beverage. "VOPOP!! VOPOP!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My favorite subtle movie moment involving a bird is the munchkin suicide from Wizard of Oz.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Okay, people, could we perhaps focus a bit more on general subtle movie moments and a little less on Watchmen specifically? This is fast turning into PYF Opinion About Watchmen.
I've been reading this thread since it started, and every time there's more than 50 unread posts I know there's been some people debating something stupid about a superhero movie or comic book adaptation. Take that crap elsewhere.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Remember the insanity that was "That's the beauty of it; it doesn't do anything?" People were quoting obscure radio dramas from the 1920's in an attempt to be the most right on an online comedy forum.

Was there ever any resolution of that?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The intro to Idiocracy is not the best, but it's a very good movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Camacho would be a better president than anyone currently running.

Was it this this thread that pointed out that Camacho was actually a good president? He recognized there was a problem, he publicly acknowledged that there was a problem, he got the smartest guy in the country on the problem, and it got solved rather fast. These things aren't easy for politicians.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Riding in Cars with Boys might have been a better movie with Adam Sandler in the Steve Zahn role.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

You're a Belieber now.

If anything ever merited time in the cubes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That one scene though, whoof.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sponge Baathist posted:

Super is a lot better of a movie when you're not up your own rear end taking the whole thing seriously. The lead character hallucinated the rape scene and you're a complete idiot if you missed the details indicating that.

No way man it was all a hallucination that happened in the microseconds before that one person died.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

Which one, though? The one where Juno rapes Dwight Schrute? Or the one where she dies?

Yes the first one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I look forward to a new thread that is just the greatest quotes of this one for 10 pages. It's like Primer.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What the gently caress kind of movie has a laugh track? I'm not sure that guy has ever actually seen a movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I bet they're also the kind of person who prefers the Tim Burton Charlie and the chocolate factory to Gene wilders

It's more true to the book in spirit and specifics.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

George C Scott was a weird dude.

Have you ever seen Hardcore? Probably shouldn't discuss that movie in this thread because there is NOTHING subtle about that movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Missing Link posted:

The day that moves time forward again doesn't involve him loving over a couple of hapless armored truck drivers. That's the opposite of all the good works he does running around town.

Either a big city weatherman can afford that kind of spending or he cancels it later.

I still say he totally stole from the armored car and he's going to get away with it. Fewer surveillance cameras a quarter of a century ago.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Bloop posted:

That's not the point - the question is whether he'd get to break the loop if he was still an aresehole

Those poor schmucks driving the truck could have their life ruined over that

The point of the movie is that life in small town America is no life at all.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Groundhog Day reboot, Phil overdoses on opioids forever.

The unofficial sequel to Groundhog Day was Gummo.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Explain...

Then explain how you're the only other person I've ever met who's seen Gummo.

Lots of people have seen Gummo they're just too full of crap to talk about it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah but he rose from a mountain of cocaine shouting oneliners with the help of a machinegun.

Its like billy the kid, like pirates, like highwaymen, like all of the other multitudes of romanticized criminal occupations.

He only truly cares about the people he loves and the movie shows him thoroughly alienating his family, killing his best friend, betraying his business partner, falling in love with a woman and losing her through assholery, and losing any ideals he might have once had even as a Cubano street thug. Then he loving dies, pointlessly. It's loving depressing and I've definitely never gotten the hype.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I refuse to see Happy Death Day because it's not rated R.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Someone once told me that the longer Mel Gibson's hair is, the better the movie you're currently watching.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pneub posted:

Road Warrior say's that's bullshit, but I guess Beyond Thunerdome helps balance things out.

Road Warrior is an odd movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

It sounds like what Lucas really needs to do is remake Episode 4.

Remake all the episodes, except everyone is Ewoks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It is 2049 A.D. The highest grossing movie of the year is Star Wars: Episode 24. It is literally just a remake of Boogie Nights, but with Ewoks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

I still recommend watching Annhilation, in the theatre if you can. The visuals are pretty great & I think they're worth seeing on the big screen.

A message to anyone and everyone: take all the drugs you can find and see Annihilation on the largest screen possible.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Avengers: Infinity War, Spiderman uses the powers of a spider to do whatever a spider can.

I didn't see the movie, but I read the plot summary on Wikipedia, and it seems like a lot of people running around solving a mystery. I feel like they could have used the help of the world's greatest detective, Batman.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

god i have that movie on my shelf and i havent seen it yet cause i know i cant handle it

If you're going through some stuff, don't watch it. It is hard. Or do it and get really drunk after.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Oh like you just figured it out on your own with out lessons, an instruction manual, or even a Bop-It telling you what to do next

You reminded me about this paragraph describing Bop-It from its article on Wikipedia:

quote:

Thus if the Bop It is to call out "Bop it!", the player must quickly depress the "Bop It!" button. If the Bop It is to call out "Twist it!", the player must quickly turn the "Twist it!" crank. If the Bop It is to call out "Pull it!", the player must quickly pull the "Pull It!" handle.[3][5]

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

It is a tragedy that noted Superhero fan Nic Cage never got to be in the recent string of superhero films*. He'd have made a fantastic villain.

*yeah yeah Ghostrider I know. It feels like cheating though when he's mostly CGI.

In another world...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tumble posted:

Scarface is awesome as hell, but yea it's definitely one of those movies that scummy people think is The Best.

I'd say Scarface is the #1 "missing the point" movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Cessna posted:

Triumph of the Will.

Edit: Or Birth of a Nation.

These or Super Troopers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

It's ok to love Starship Troopers as hilarious satire though, which it is. Not really the same thing as ironically liking something. But yea it's one of those movies where a lot of people completely missed the point. It's amazing to think that Starship Troopers was made before 9/11, its very prescient in that way.

I'm going to show young people Starship Troopers in the following decades to explain to them what it was like in America right after 9/11.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Kramdar posted:

I still think he should have won the Oscar for Moneyball.

He was the best part of The Wolf of Wall Street.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That scene is proof that the first Terminator is a horror movie and the rest are action.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's a good one, and a weird one. I always liked the five Bachman books that exist. :colbert:

Rage could make a poignant movie but man no one's gonna touch it with a ten foot pole and King's never gonna license it. I'd like to see someone redo Running Man, too. You could easily apply its manhunt theme to social media harrassment. If I ever come into movie production cash I'm funding that, under the condition that it keeps the ending.

You think no one will ever make Rage into a movie because it involves gun violence at a school but think that a remake of The Running Man, a novel that ends with someone flying a plane into a skyscraper, would be totally feasible??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You all are are reminding me of the only number that never hurt anyone and has brought only joy to the world, eighty thousand eighty five.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

George C. Scott Christmas Carol is the truest to the book and isn't just a lovely adaptation of a former adaptation. The book has a severe message and the ones that water that message down are the worst ones. I don't include the ones for kids in my hatred of the bad adaptations, however.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you're going to be in NYC this Wednesday or Friday, P-Stew is performing his one man version of A Christmas Carol. Two nights only! It's not even sold out, tickets will set you back $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

As Christmas Carol adaptions go, Richard Williams' animated version is also an underrated adaption like Muppet Christmas Carol.

It's one of the eeriest versions and its visually fantastic.

I think its only been released on VHS, (Which is I how saw it as a kid) but its on YouTube.

I'm going to have to check this out. I love the crap out of Christmas Carol and and I'm down for another good version.