Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I thought it was a nice touch in 30 Minutes or Les that

When he finally took the bomb vest off, his shirt was drenched in sweat.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Jun 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Don't know if this has been mentioned here yet, and even if it's all that subtle, but Arnie's gun was concealed in a box of roses.

Because of both Terminator 2 and Silence of the Lambs, I no longer trust anyone delivering a box of long-stem roses...the box will invariably contain a shotgun.

Invariably.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

Still a favorite of mine from the original live action Ninja Turtles movie:

In the scene where Raphael meets and fights Casey Jones, gets dumped in a trash can, and pursues him up the street after, Raphael rolls over the hood of a taxi. The guy in the back seat that sits up and asks "What the heck was that?" is the same guy who does Raphael's character voice for the movie.

IMDB says that it's the guy in the turtle costume, not the voice actor. In fact, all of the guys in the costumes had a cameo:

IMDB posted:

David Forman, the performer inside the Leonardo costume, also plays a gang member in the warehouse when Casey Jones defeats Tatsu.

Josh Pais, who plays Raphael, also plays a passenger in the back of a taxicab who says, "What the heck was that?" right after Raphael hops on the cab's hood.

Leif Tilden, the performer inside the Donatello costume, also plays the Foot Messenger that meets April in the subway station. He says, "We've been looking for you, Miss O'Neill," then he slaps her.

Michelan Sisti, the performer inside the Michaelangelo costume, also plays the pizza delivery man who delivers the pizza to the Turtles' sewer.

Also, wasn't Jose Canseco in a lot of trouble in the late 80's for possible steroid use and domestic assaalt, or something?

Fake edit: He as on the juice, but he didn't admit to it until the 2000's, and his domestic assault charge came after the movie...however, there was this:

'wikipedia" posted:

On February 10, 1989, Canseco was arrested for reckless driving after allegedly leading an officer on a 15-mile chase. He was found guilty and fined $500.[30]

On April 11, 1989, Canseco was arrested in California for carrying a loaded semi-automatic pistol in his car.[31] He was released on $2,500 bail and pled no contest.[32][33]

But yeah, you're right that it was probably more a "NY vs California" thing, plus the whole idea of buying sporting equipment named after a player is stupid, save Air Jordans.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mu Cow posted:

Going off topic a bit, in the first season and part of the second season of Scrubs the Janitor is never shown interacting with any other main character other than JD. They had originally planned to reveal in the series finale that the Janitor was just a figment of JD's imagination, but dropped the idea once the show got renewed for a third season.

Not entirely true. They did plan for him to be a figment of JD's imagination, but he starts interacting with other people about halfway into the first season.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Part of the reason they ditched the idea, which is great because the janitor got a lot of actual development with Dr. Cox. He even gets his own episodes occasionally.

The Brain Trust is the best thing to come out of the later seasons.

(I mean the good Brain Trust with Ted and The Todd, not the original with Crazy-Eyes Margo and Troy...not that Troy didn't have his moments either.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

PYF Blade Runner Thing

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Kind of a silly one, but at the end of Wayne's World they have the Scooby-Doo ending, and it turns out Rob Lowe was Old Man Withers, who owns the amusement park. It's an amusing little joke about Scooby-Doo.

But in the first part of the movie, when Wayne goes into the doughnut shop, he sees Old Man Withers sitting there and asks him how his amusement park is doing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I don't think this was posted, if it was, sorry.

But anyone who's anyone has seen Wreck-It Ralph, and if it was in the theater, also saw Paperman.

Well, here's Ralph in the Bad-Anon meeting:

Check the piece of paper over his shoulder on the bulletin board.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

E: Nevermind, I'm dumb.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I just got back from an early showing of Iron Man 3, and there was a great little exchange with Tony and Rhodes (not really a spoiler)

Tony: I'm out of ammo, gimme a clip!
Rhodes: I don't have any.
Tony: I saw you grab, like, five clips!
Rhodes: Yeah, for MY gun. They're not universal, you know!

A nice little nod/acknowledgement to all the movies that do seem to treat all clips/magazines as universal.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I guess I didn't notice this in the 2009 Trek, but I finally noticed it last night when watching Into Darkness.

I knew the "basic" uniform shirts they all wear has some kind of textured pattern to it, but I didn't notice until last night that the pattern is a poo poo-ton of little repeated "Starfleet logos, just like their badges.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Not sure how subtle this is, since my 10 year old babysittee caught it, but in Wreck-It Ralph once you know who King Candy really is, it almost hits you in the face because Turbo ruined two other racing games before finally figuring out how to make a real takeover work. It isn't enough to appear in a game, you have to make the game accept you. That said and all, why didn't any of the arcade players notice a lack of Vanellope in the game? You'd think that would have been marked as a glitch right off and ended Turbo's third attempt pretty fast.

There was sort of an out for that:

The game had all of the potential players "race themselves" each day to determine who was actually playable that day. Unless a kid was coming into that arcade almost every day, they would just think that Venelope didn't get in the "top 10" or whatever that day, so wasn't available as a choice.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The Back to the Future series is one of my favorite trilogies...I never noticed this small thing until just now, when taking a little quiz thing about BTTF II on Buzzfeed:

Not the Doc Brown part, obviously.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Kruller posted:

Clockstoppers had the same premise of another, older movie that I cannot for the life of me remember. All I remember is that a gangrape was played as a joke at the end.

Wait, isn't Clockstoppers a sort-of-Disney-esque tween/teen movie?

THAT had a gangrape joke?! :psyduck:

Edit: Oh, unless you mean the older movie it was based on had a gangrape joke.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Aug 2, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Breaking Bad is not a movie, but still full of awesome details.

In the first half of the season 5 premier (i.e., what aired last summer...still not sure why they are calling it a split season 5 instead of 5 and 6, but whatever):

Hank and Gomez are investigating the burnt out remains of the super-lab, and they are actually wearing their suits correctly. They have duct-tape around the edges of their makes, the zippers, and the cuffs around their gloves and boots. Having been certified in a couple different OSHA-regulated HAZMAT procedures, I appreciate the attention to detail.

Although, being that it was a super-lab that just had a massive fire, I doubt they'd just use passive respirators. Even with combined HEPA/Chemical filter, there could be stuff you have no idea about getting in there. In a real-life situation, they'd almost certainly go Level B, if not A. But I understand why they'd go with just C, easier for the actors to get into, cheaper, etc...

Besides which, we can also just fan-wank that the guys in the level A suits already went in and cleared it for Level C.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In the sense that portable defibrillators have a ton of safety precautions explicitly for the purpose of them not being (ab)used like in that episode, yes.

Yup. My last job was a biomedical technician, and I frequently had to test AEDs. The BIGGEST THING that we tested was to make drat sure they would ONLY shock on a shockable rhythm, either v-fib or v-tach. So we'd hook it up to a patient simulator and simulate NSR, v-fib, v-tach, a-fib, brundle blocks, etc...

And they are EXTREMELY reliable. I have never seen one shock on a non-shockable rhythm, and I have never heard of anyone else encountering this, either.

So yeah, there's no way he'd die. The thing would just be shouting at him in German to "attach pads to patient." "Analyzing." "Attach pads."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Bavius posted:

Gremlins remains one of my favorite movies, might have to watch it again and see if there was any other subtle bits beyond the time machine one (only one I could remember).

I really love Gremlins 2. Because they understood that to try and make a legit horror movie about 1 foot tall monsters again wouldn't work...it was the 90's now, people viewed that style of horror as campy, etc...so they took that ball and ran with it. Everything being over the top and goofy just worked, IMO.

One of the best bits was maybe 1/2 to 2/3 into the movie, it looks like the film breaks. Then Gremlin silhouettes appear and make it look like they are in the projection booth and messing with the movie.

For the VHS release, they actually changed it just slightly so instead of looking like a filmstrip breaking, it looked like a tape getting worn out and turning into to static.

And then there's Phoebe Cates' character re-hashing the "Santa in the chimney" story from the first movie a couple of times.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Another neat bit of trivia from the dinner scene is that the guy who says (paraphrased):

"The people of Gotham aren't going to get pushed around by thugs like you!" and then nearly gets a Glasgow Smile is Vermont senator Patrick Leahy.

Leahy is a big Batman fan, and had some non-speaking cameos in a couple of the previous movies, too.

Edit: V V V Yeah, that MPAA/RIAA/SOPA poo poo sucks. :smith: Like...I still like him and will vote for him when he runs, because he's pretty liberal about just about everything else, but I wish he didn't cater to them.

I mean...they can't all be as awesome as Bernie Sanders, I guess:

Shine on, you crazy old coot. :patriot:

Oh, and to bring this back around to movies, Bernie had a small cameo in a terrible, VT-made movie called The Wedding Band as a Rabbi.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Aug 27, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The only Disney gargoyles I want to hear about are these guys:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

That show was so so good. Too good for a Disney toon. Between that and the Gargoyle's Quest games, I was left with a soft spot for the creatures in general. Kinda weird that Brooklyn's wings are invisible there.

(Also, am I the only one who noticed that the show's casting agent kind of used Star Trek: TNG cast members as shorthand for villain casting? )

Huh...yeah, I didn't even notice they were invisible.

It really was so good (aside from the God-awful third season. The creator/original show-runner had nothing to do with the third season aside from the first episode, and has sort of "renounced" it as 'Gargoyles canon,' if you can believe such a thing.

He also had several ideas for spin offs, one of which was "Timedancer" where Brooklyn started traveling through time randomly for, like, 40 years. He'd eventually end up in feudal Japan for a number of years and get a wife, and then go to the future where he would join the cast of a SECOND spin-off that was all about the offspring of the offspring of the current Gargoyles fighting off aliens, or something. They would be joined by the Easter Island alien they met in season 2, since his job was to stop these aliens in the first place and he FAILED...loser.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Was the third season when they did that poo poo with the Avalon stuff, the gargoyle eggs/babies, or was that with Foxx being the daughter of some fairy queen?

That was all second season, though to be fair, the second season was over 50 episodes, so practically three seasons worth of episodes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

Not references; its a retelling of the story set in 1920s.

I read that the Coens never actually read The Odyssey, they just re-told it from memory/what they had seen in other movies/shows/etc...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Was it only in Predator 2 that the whole 'don't kill pregnant prey' was seen? I always wondered if a parent protecting a child, or several children, would rank as a threat worthy of being killed, or swatted aside and ignored because it was being protective rather than offensive?

Well, there weren't any pregnant women in the first one. All we get from the first two is that a Predator won't kill anyone they consider "innocent"/non-combatants.

So the girl in the first one, and then the innocent fetus in the second.

I imagine a person protecting a group of children would get killed, but the children ignored.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

Don't forget the Troy callback in the same episode!

Community is the best show ever that has to have a whole season ignored. :stare:

There's also the Beetlejuice joke that took three seasons to pay off.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

THEY'RE ALIVE! THEY'RE IN CARTOON FORM, AND NOT NECESSARILY CANON, BUT THEY'RE ALIVE!

I see what you did there. :golfclap:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I've just been watching random scenes from Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, and Stripes because I wanted to cheer myself up that Harold Ramis died, and I caught this scene from the beginning pf Ghostbusters 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3NWW3aMrs

Egon literally explains the premise of the movie. Bad emotions (of New Yorkers ) are causing physical reactions (the pink slime to form.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

My favorite is all of the subtle hints in Nolan's batman movies that batman is actually bruce wayne

Oh, don't start that again! Lance Hunt wears glasses. Captain Amazing doesn't wear glasses.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

syscall girl posted:

That seems kind of obvious but idk. There's also the hook shaped window latch.

Because you guys talked about it so much I'm watching it for the first time in years and the part where Tinkerbell is dragging Peter to neverland in a bedsheet but the pixie dust is spilling on the couple making out on the bridge and they're floating (because of happy thoughts) was also nice. Not terribly subtle but nice.

Something I've always wondered about in Peter Pan and Hook is why Peter is (seemingly) the only person who can fly on happy thoughts alone.

Everyone else requires happy thoughts AND fairy dust.

One thing I did like about Hook was that you can tell that the Lost Boys are all from different time periods by their clothes. Most seem to be in the range of late 19th to mid 20th century, but at least a few (Rufio among them,) are from the later 20th century.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I watched Civil War last weekend, and while not great, one nice touch was that Black Panther was very quiet, nearly silent, when jumping around/dropping from heights/etc... Compared to everyone else making big ol' thump noises, it was a nice contrast.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Never says she spent any money. Uncle Phil could have ponied up.

Yeah, Uncle Phil's a millionaire (or close to it, at any rate.) I'm pretty sure the plane ticket and cab fare were a pittance to him.

It does raise the question, though, of why he made Will take a cruddy cab from the airport to Bel-Air in the first place. You'd think he'd send Jeffrey to pick him up or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

also because of his house that walks around on chicken legs

Hut of brown, now sit down?

Edit:

And on the topic of bad sound effects in movies, the bowling pin effect in the second (?) Matrix movie when Neo throws an agent Smith into a bunch of other ones is pretty bad.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Deadpool 2: Plenty of people noticed that when The Vanisher is (briefly) shown on-screen, it's Brad Pitt; but something I missed and read about is that one of the two rednecks when Cable shows up (the non-Alan Tudyk one) is Matt Damon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Kramdar posted:

I’m still waiting for my speed

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

At the end of Back to the Future, it's revealed that George McFly is now a famous science fiction writer. Since he was visited by Darth Vader from the planet Vulcan he should have been freaked out by Star Trek in the 60's and Star Wars in the 70's unless he already used those characters and settings in his books before Roddenberry and Lucas.

In that altered timeline, Lucas adapted a McFly book which means Star Wars had a decent writer.

My fan theory is that George McFly simply thinks that Gene Roddenberry and George Lucas were ALSO visited by Darth Vader from the planet Vulcan, and each just used a piece of that for their respective Sci-Fi works.

He was probably pissed he had to change the names of them for his book, "A Match Made in Space."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

For a while I thought Crispin Glover was being an annoying snob when he talked about hating the ending of Back to the Future but now when I see it I really have to agree with him. It's just such a clear example of 80's materialism where George's assertiveness has resulted in his family living an idyllic lifestyle..... which is demonstrated by how they now have nice clothes and expensive cars and get to treat a butler like poo poo.

And yet they still live in the same house, which at the start of the movie is shown/implied to be kind of a dumpy neighborhood.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Instead of watching the LOTR trilogy just watch Willow. It's better, shorter, and has young hot Val Kilmer.

Look, I'm going for schlocky 80's fantasy, I want pure shlock and will watch Krull and/or Beastmaster.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Once in a while in Seinfeld they'd sit at the counter and I always appreciated the change of pace.

Did you hear Newman died? :ohdear:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I've been re-watching The Venture Brothers recently, because I think I've only seen seasons 6 and 7 once each so I figured I might as well start at the beginning.

And in the season one episode "Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean" (where Dean has testicular torsion,) The Monach is taking Hank and Brock back to the cocoon, and Hank is reading a book that has a list of all The Guild villains.

The Monarch asks for Hank to look him up, but he's not in the book. At the time, we're supposed to take this to mean that it's just because The Monarch is a one-shot lovely villain, but in the season 3 premiere, "Shadowman 9: In The Cradle of Destiny," we find out that (minor spoiler for a ten+ year old season, not putting it in a box):
It's because The Monarch never officially registered as a villain with The Guild. He was a henchman for Phantom Limb, and then just started arching Dr.Venture on the side because he hates him, then quit being a henchman for good and took Dr.Girlfriend/Queen Etheria/Lady AuPair/Dr.Mrs.The Monarch with him.

(Ok, the REAL reason is that when Doc and Jackson wrote season 1 it WAS because The Monarch was a lovely villain not worthy of The Guild book, but I like that they were able to retcon in a reason that fits with The Guild's insistence on crushing bureaucracy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Phy posted:

Adam West was the best Batman.