Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
On the Pixar train, I just saw the beginning of Ratatouille, and during the part where Remy is running through Parisian houses before finding Gusteau's, he runs through a house where a dog barks at him, and looking at the shadow I'd say it's Doug, the dog from Up. Didn't confirm this anywhere but it looked an awful lot like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Red1Dex posted:

Inception: big ups to Hans Zimmer for creativity on this one - the most recognizable theme is actually a slowed down version of the "pre-kick" song they put on to warn people the dream is ending. Best explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2sD3QvwnjY

More to the point, that the musical cue was slowed down to make the theme is due to the fact that in dreams, time runs slower - so that's how you would hear the music were you in a dream

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Okay, this is likely just coincidence/not on purpose, but I noticed it and thought I'd toss it up here for speculation.

In Catch Me If You Can Leo DiCaprio's character is eventually caught in France and sits in a French jail for months (I think 6) before the extradition process is complete and he is given over to Handratty (Tom Hanks's character) to be returned to America.

In Inception, early in the movie when Leo DiCaprio's character visits his dad in France to find a new architect, Michael Cane's character asks if it's safe for Leo to be there, to which he responds, "nah, extradition between France and America is a bureaucratic nightmare", and Cane responds, "I think they might find a way, in your case".

So, possibly a callback/reference, possibly a simple coincidence. But it's there.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

There's some pretty cool call forwards in Toy Story 2 that reference Toy Story 3. The prospector asks Woody if Andy will take him when he goes to college, which is a central point in 3, as well as telling Woody in the airport conveyor belt room that he's destined to end up rotting in a garbage dump somewhere - which turns out to be the climactic scene in 3. I'm sure there are others. That's such an excellent series.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I saw Cloud Atlas yesterday, and I don't have any subtle moments, but with that premise I really feel like I should. Anyone more observant got something? There were of course lots of little callbacks to previous eras but they always made a point to draw attention to those.

There are a lot of things, including the actors playing multiple roles across all the six timelines, but they give all that away at the end during the credits. You might have noticed each of the six stories are read or seen by the main character in the next story chronologically. The Adam Ewing journal is read by Frobisher, the movie version of Timothy Cavendish's story is seen by Sonmi, etc. This is made much more apparent in the book, but it's subtly in the movie as well. Also each of the stories features humans preying on one another in some fashion, whether one-on-one as in Vyvyan Ayrs blackmailing Frobisher, or with all of society against one person, as in the corpocracy hunting Sonmi 451. Another thing that is more of "the entire point" in the book, but becomes a subtle auxiliary plot point in the movie.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

The song Danke Schoen is all over Ferris Bueller's Day Off, most notably and overtly in the parade scene and Ferris in the shower near the beginning, but characters are humming it left and right: Rooney hums it after ringing the Bueller house's doorbell while waiting for an answer, and Jeanie sings it when leaving the police station after meeting Charlie Sheen's character.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

In Big Fish, when Will Bloom goes to visit Jenny (played by Helena Bonham Carter), she tells him that she had grown old alone and that people had started to think she was the legendary witch from Edward Bloom's youth. Will points out that that's impossible since the witch was already old when Edward was young, so they couldn't be the same person.

The old witch was also played by Helena Bonham Carter. A nice touch.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

It's probably not really "subtle" but no this is not a flashlight in my pocket

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Shutter Island is the most depressing case of confirmation bias known to man. It hid its twist so well that people didn't see it because they thought they had figured the twist out from the trailer :ughh:

Can you expand on this? What did people think the twist was? That he's being held prisoner on the island?

brick cow posted:

I did, however, watch Disney's Hercules over the weekend and there's a point where he's posing for a painting wearing a lion head crown and he throws it on the ground. The lion's head is Scar's from "The Lion King". Made me chuckle.

Doesn't Disney hide references to older movies in basically everything? Or is that just Pixar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Paper Diamonds posted:

She wasn't imaginary. She was right all along. She is diving into his dreams to get him to wake up. Inception as a movie never leaves Cobb's dreamworld(s).

That's deliberately left up to interpretation and you know it