Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Two moments in Prometheus I thought were certainly worthy of praise:

The super medical recovery bay is shown in the (female) captain's quarters, but we find, soon enough, that it is only calibrated for male patients. This makes no sense until the reveal later that Weyland is on-board; the automated surgery pod is for him.

And, at the ending, when the alien ship is crashing back down and the women are fleeing, you actually see the Prometheus crash after the mid-air impact in the background; it was a detail I was pleased to see, as that kind of thing is so often missed/ignored by filmmakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I'm watching the director's cut of The Chronicles of Riddick and during the scene on Crematoria in which Riddick receives-slash-unlocks his HIDDEN FURYAN ANGER or whatever, exploding into a ball of energy, everyone in the area was affected and blown back save for the Necromonger Purifier, since he too was a Furyan.

Whether you like what the director's cut added to the film or not, I thought it was an interesting touch in a moment that doesn't focus on it.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Mu Zeta posted:

I've only seen the DC of the movie, but I'm guessing the visions of the woman weren't in the theatrical version?

(Chronicles of Riddick)
Exactly, there was no super-mystical Furyan uebermensch rage power stuff, and the destiny stuff was less heavy-handed. A lot of people dislike the DC but I think it's fine and still a fun movie to throw on from time to time.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I was happy to note that in Riddick there is a part where several characters are riding their hoverbikes through the dark, and Riddick's doesn't have its headlight on. In a pretty straightforward action flick I was surprised to see that little touch

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Just finished watching Elysium and one small detail I enjoyed was when looking down at a combat zone through a camera every participant was labeled with their identity except for the unauthorized commando guy who is tagged "Unknown" and is blurred out on the feed. It's only in the shot for a few seconds and I thought it was a great bit of world-building.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I was going through some of the older John Cusack movies today and noted a good moment in Grosse Pointe Blank -- the background music that is playing as he's driving around his old hometown shifts when he enters a convenience store, playing instead from the tinny market's speakers.

I don't see that kind of attention to detail in a lot of movies recently, and thought it was a very nice touch.

In The Abyss (the director's cut is so good) Virgil's hand stays blue, with obvious wearing/fading, throughout the entire movie, which was another great touch.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
For being an intentionally stupid movie, Loaded Weapon 1 has some pretty solid continuity regarding props and set pieces.

After Colt rips off his arm, shirt sleeve and all, in the next scene you can see the shirt tear on his (now-reattached) shoulder. Got a good chuckle out of me that they actually cared about making a quality farce.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
In The Boondock Saints after the cafe scene Rocco goes tearing through his ex's apartment in a panic and the first thing he grabs to take on his escape is a clothes iron.

The same iron that comes in handy after the neighborhood shootout about two scenes later. A very small thing, but it was neat to notice.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Just re-watched Inside Man for the nth time and realized during the police bus scene at the end all four of the accomplices are shown together, in nearly the same pose.

Not the biggest detail in the world, but I thought it cool to notice after so many re-watches

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I started watching Person of Interest due to this thread and I really like part of Harold's physicality -- he basically never turns his head (except in flashbacks) due to the injury that gave him the limp.

It's not anything to which specific attention is drawn but it's been consistent through the show and I appreciate the little detail, even as the slow slides into crazy sci-fi god AI vs god AI plot mode after season 2.

Also it's hilarious to me how many people from this show would later end up in House of Cards.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

syscall girl posted:

A lot of science fiction fans have the exact opposite opinion about PoI seasons 1 and part of 2. In that the early "monster of the week" format is boring but the long game is engaging.

Haven't really seen much of it myself but I liked some of the ideas I saw in later seasons. And some of the S1/2 stuff is pretty fun as well.

I dismissed it as another formulaic cop drama until I started reading about it in this thread maybe a month ago and people talking about the ride into sci-fi town. I've put it up on the background while at work and it's interesting how they've built a cohesive dystonian narrative in small pieces that stay internally consistent -- I tried to explain the show to my wife and all of a sudden I realized I sounded like a crazy person talking about rogue AI communicating through child hacker prodigies. I'm actually fairly impressed, and Michael Emerson is always awesome to watch.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I didn't see any real progression in his character throughout the series but the rest of the characters made up for it, for me

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Was rewatching Riddick tonight and noticed that when they shot the dog with the tracking round, the console they used to follow its movements had options like "shock" and "detonate" on-screen, uses that are never touched on again in the movie.

I really appreciate when movies have actual, seemingly functional UI and uses for their gadgets. Definitely adds to the world-building and immersion.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I was watching an entirely forgettable action flick called American Assassin yesterday, and one moment actually made me nod in satisfied appreciation.

At one point someone is lowered a steel cable from a helicopter as a means of escape. They wrap it around themselves and I was all set to remark how a cable like that would crush him if it were just looped around his torso – instead the character starts the motion of tying a bowline in the cable, which every Boy Scout and rescue worker is taught to do. It cuts away before the action is finished, but it felt like the editors left in just enough to give a nod that "this character knows what he's doing" for those who also have that knowledge.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Powaqoatse posted:

i watched that movie too -- the technical stuff seemed like someone knew what they were doing but the plot was trash.

im a huge fan of michael keaton though.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Keaton was great, particularly during the torture scene, and I was actually impressed by how the opening scene was shot. The story, writing, and characters? Ugh.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I have to say that the sound design for Ninjago was surprisingly spot-on, particularly with one early scene and its use of the Wilhelm Scream.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Smiling Jack posted:

It's not very subtle but the house cat as a WMD made me laugh my balls off

As did the ice guy's impression of his mom yelling at him. Great jokes for the adults in the room

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

syscall girl posted:

I also saw the Prophecy movies (plural) and did not make that connection at all.

Need to rewatch those.

I love me some Chris Walken, but hoo boy just stick with the first one.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Clive Owen's apartment in Anon is completely devoid of pictures or other wall decorations. Sure the character is a loner, but to me it also spoke to the ubiquity of the technology - if you can display most anything you want, wherever you want, what's the point of hanging static pictures?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I’m watching a forgettable horror flick called Harbinger Down which is essentially The Thing set on an arctic fishing boat. Aside from the cheesy 16-bit video game sound effects and mediocre acting performances (other than the always enjoyable Lance Henriksen), it does its best.

A bit of self-awareness I genuinely did appreciate though was the background shot of a “chess wizard” computer terminal, which was featured in The Thing. It’s just a set piece that doesn’t have any attention drawn to it, and I like the subtle nod to the original film.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Caught The Long Kiss Goodnight recently and I was happy to see a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it bit of continuity. In an early scene a revenge-fueled generic bad guy shoots a shotgun/rocket launcher in the protagonist’s home and blows out part of a wall.

Much later in the movie our heroes return to the home for the first time since and in the interim the husband has put up plywood to cover the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Speaking of Feynman, I was happy to see an unnamed physicist playing bongos in the background of a party scene in Oppenheimer.