Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Edgar Wright films are full of dialogue that predicts the plot of the film, but my favourite is Shaun of the Dead, where Nick Frost's character "Ed" casually describes the entire plot of the movie to the titular Shaun.

"You know what we should do tomorrow? Keep drinking. A Bloody Mary first thing, a bite at the King's Head, couple at The Little Princess, stagger back here and bang... back at the bar for shots."

The zombie in the backyard is wearing a "Hello, my name is Mary" nametag, and of course, she's quite bloody. They then go to Shaun's parents' house, where his stepfather (the "King" of the house) has been bitten. Then it's off to Liz's (the "Little Princess"), who's hanging out with the couple - David and Dianne. After some trouble, they stagger back to the bar.. where a box of shotgun shells cooks off right on the bartop.

How's THAT for a slice of fried gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Yeah. And every motive that Danny Butterman gives for the killings (that Angel instantly dismisses) turns out to be completely accurate.

What I'm saying is, always listen to Nick Frost.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Also, if you look closely, one of the zombies outside the winchester is Tires, the constantly raving mood-swing inflicted bike courier from Spaced.

He's still wearing his headphones.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

swampland posted:

I just rewatched Hot Fuzz and a nice little detail I hadn't noticed on my first viewing was how the actors in the Romeo and Juliet play are dressed in poorly remade copies of the outfits in the Leonardo DiCaprio movie. It's a brilliant touch that just really showcases the tackiness of the whole thing and says so much about the small town people who put the play on without saying a word.

This is rapidly becoming "post your favourite Edgar Wright moment" but also in Hot Fuzz, Danny Butterman is looking at a DVD called "Zombies Party" - which is just a Shaun of the Dead DVD with a different title and a price sticker over Simon Pegg's face.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MillionsV posted:

Shut the gently caress up about Scott Pilgrim you goddamn nerds!

NEVER

In Scott's second run at defeating Gideon Graves, you can just hear Michael Comeau say "The film is good, but the books are better".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's a movie full of subtle moments, but in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, when Lucas Lee introduces himself as a member of "The League of Evil Exes," Scott says quietly "The league of evil axes??" It's such a tiny, easy to miss line, but it cracks me up.

Edgar Wright really has a love for little background details.

Watch the small lens flares in the background of this scene;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFvRs2dY3gA

When Ramona is talking about defeating her exes, the tiny reflections/lens flares behind her are X shaped. The ones behind Scott are always heart-shaped, and they change to hearts behind Ramona just before they kiss.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The shudder is my favorite moment from that scene. I legitimately think that Muppet Christmas Carol is one of the best adaptations of that story.

The fact that the other Marley is named Robert is the best joke in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

Houdini also co-wrote a story with Lovecraft - probably the usual "famous non-writer suggests an idea that the writer then writes", but still, guy got around the 1920s fiction circuit.

Houdini made him add an "it was all a dream" ending because he didn't want to suggest that magic was actually real, which pissed Lovecraft off.