Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My favorites of these is in Terminator 2. Lots of people see it as just an awesome action movie but there is so much subtle play with the idea of hero and villain and role reversal going on that if you watch the first and second back to back your head will spin. I'm by no means an expert but I'll try and show off some of it.

First off, the intro in both movies are incredible at what they do. First movie; Kyle steals, procures and scavenges what he can where he can, he doesn't kill anyone at all and spends most of his time in an alleyway. Arnie murders 2 people, steals their clothes and their sweet ride and does the same to get weapons. Really nice way of going 'This guy is good, this one is bad' and sets up the strength and power of the Terminator without shoving it down your throat.

But then Terminator 2 happens. If any of you manage to find someone who has never seen Terminator 2 or know too much about it? Show them this and watch them. The intro is perfectly reversed. The T-100 seemingly kills and terrorizes a biker bar while the T-1000 quietly robs a police officer. Right up until the second we see Arnie blow a hole in the T-1000, the roles are perfectly reversed. Same poo poo happens at the ending too. Both endings take place in a big industrial building, the T-100 ends up with basically the same injuries as before, Sarah takes Kyles role and does almost the same stuff he did.

The movie does this throughout, subtly playing on the first one and just tweaking it cleverly here and there. It's pretty rad.

Awesome thread idea OP. I'll have to have a think for more of these.

Edit: And So I did

Back to the Future. Holy poo poo what a series, best trilogy ever, maybe, whatever, lots of this stuff, here we go;

1: The scene from the first movie and the third one, with the model of the town explaining the plan are identical. Marty and the Doc go over the model, someone interrupts them and they cover everything up with sheets. Including the car, which in the third one is a car with the word "Time Machine" on it.

2: Biff is knocked out at the same time stamp in all three movies

3: The record on sale in the first movie is on sale in the same shop as the Almanac in the second movie.

4: 1.21 comes up constantly. Einstien the Dogs stop watch has it, the elapsed time between him disappearing and coming back is 1 Min 21 seconds, and of course the Flux Capacitor needs 1.21 gigawatts.

5: In Docs house all of his clocks show 7:50something, except for one, next to a box of Plutonium that reads 8:20.

The whole series is just bursting with subtle "aha!" moments. If you can, give the DVD collection a watch, its got a great commentary track that just points out neat little details you'd probably miss.

Nemesis Of Moles has a new favorite as of 14:35 on May 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Obscurity posted:

You ever notice that in the coffee shop scene, when the owner is told to not be a hero he says "I'm not a hero! I'm just a coffee shop!"

:psyduck: as gently caress on that one.

I'm almost 100% certain he says 'Coffee Shop Owner'. I only watched this two nights ago but I could be wrong here.

Every time Vincent Vega uses a toilet, something terrible happens.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

fuckpot posted:

In Jurassic Park when they are on the helicopter ride to the island. Dr Grant is having trouble doing his seatbelt up, and in the scramble ties two female seatbelt parts together.

Life finds a way.

Someone in CD basically showed off that the whole Helicopter scene is the movie in a microcosm in every single way. I'd have to find the post again cause it was mind blowing.

Yes Vega goes into the bathroom at Mias house when she ODs.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What I'm saying is, always listen to Nick Frost.

Fine advice for life, I've found.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That's made pretty obvious in a deleted scene for Bttf2

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

In Limitless Eddie outlines his book to two redneck looking fellas near the start. He says 'It's masquerading as a sci-fi novel but I see it as my manifesto about the difficulties of being in the 21st Century. Which is a fairly accurate reading of the movie itself.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Slip posted:

So I have a question. Was there any actual motivation for most of the things he did, specifically with him forcing the girl to strip, other than "Oh, the other guy did it so I should too?" And what, exactly, was the motivation for the original one then? Or is there some subtle detail I'm missing? Because that lack of motivation honestly broke the movie for me, and I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it because of that.

That's like the whole point of the movie The motivation for him doing basically anything was either (At the start) to kill himself and replace the 'original' or (later) to undo all of his dumbass stuff early one. The other reading is basically the dude is the first intelligent timetravel protagonist who realizes if he doesnt set everything up, there will be two of him running around and stuff will get messed up

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Watching Die Hard, its full of this stuff.

Police Guy: I have 30 guys down here covered in glass!
John: Who gives a poo poo about Glass?!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Looper was basically Subtle_Movie_Moments.avi. Its just utterly packed with references to earlier scenes, subtle subplots, etc etc.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's also a gangster movie.

Ok, I mentioned it has a bunch of subtle things in it, here's a few.

Lots of awful people have went on endlessly about how the time travel in it doesn't make any sense. This is almost def. intended, though never mentioned. No one in the movie is concerned with how exactly causality is being hosed with, you see half-assed explanations and even a couple 'Don't worry about it's from various people but everyone acts fairly contradictory to their own advice, as if no onee in universe even really understands it. Abe (A gangster sent back from the future) tells Joe that they have to keep his friend alive to close the loop otherwise they might mess with the time stream. Happily ignoring the fact that his very presence there fucks with the time stream.

Plenty of people are seeing the part where Bruce Willis shouts something like 'Don't think about it it's not important!' as a direct message to the audience, but to me it just betrays the attitude everyone has to this. Time Travel doesn't make sense, and no one really gives a gently caress.
I mean, just look at what they even use this technology for.

The little boy in the movie is obviously the rainmaker. Theres some subtle things in there about his origin (prosthetic jaw, rising from nothing, killing loopers, watched his mum die), but it's also implied he invents time travel. He's incredibly good with technology for a 4-6 year old, building a wireless radio thing in a day from spare parts. This is never outright acknowledged by the movie, but fairly solidly implied

And finally, Abe (Future Guy) is the future version of Blue, the fuckup kid who shoots his own leg. They have the same eyes and the way they act toward each other really makes it obvious if you look.

Then there are tons of background details. Almost everything in the movie comes up again later as a plot point. Its a very dense movie with little in the way of wasted moments.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I thought they might be pointing at something, but Abe doesn't walk with a limp and Kid Blue does (Abe also mocks Kid Blue for shooting himself in the leg. I probably wouldn't mock myself for being an idiot).
Also, nothing happens to Abe's hand when he smashes the poo poo out of Kid Blue's hand with a hammer. I was specifically watching to see if anything would happen because I thought the same thing you did

Its conceivable he gets the leg fixed in the future, and him smashing Blues hand doesn't cut it off or break it permanently. As for the mocking him, poo poo yeah I'd make fun out of my past self for shooting myself in the leg, dumbass me. I guess it's not 100% definite though.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

The moment when Young Joe goes into the field to kill Cid, and realises it would be morally wrong, shouldn't that have stopped Old Joe from hunting him?

Both had lived different lives, basically. What you think is wrong now may not be the same as what you think is wrong 30 years and -1 wife from now. that was kinda a big deal in the movie.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hot Fuzz again;

One of the Andys is getting pissed at Angel, and tells him 'You can't wait to jump into Popwells' Grave!'

Which he does. Sort of

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ariong posted:

I presume that you don't mean the sex toy kind of real doll.

That is, in fact, the exact kind of Real Doll they're talking about.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I thought he worked in a mall or something.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZF1SJW7JFw&t=10s :v:

Seriously though, here's him doing a bit about planes that kinda sumarizies why people say it's a 'thing'. 'Whats The Deal With Airline Food?' is just short hand for 'Make a big dumb lame joke about something minor and obvious'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0E7EaRLmSI

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

eightpole posted:

I also think he reverses entropy in the second book.

Gonna need some expansion on this one bud.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I, too, saw the RedLetterMedia Phantom Menace review.

I think its getting a little played out to mention RLM anytime anyone says anything about the prequels.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Not Evans posted:

I know it's TV and old as balls, but watching The Wire I had an "oh snap" moment that took me until the end of Season 3 to realise. Omar is infamous for whistling "a hunting we will go" as he goes about his business, generally sending anyone who hears it running in the opposite direction.

Just like a police siren.

Considering I was introduced to the show as "it's about bad guys vs bad guys, not about good cops vs bad criminals", that detail took way too loving long to put together.

I wouldn't feel bad, everytime I rewatch the show I get new things - I only just this time caught that Nicky is cheating on his girlfriend in S2.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

If you're discarding authorial intent you also lose the right to get all mental when someone suggests an entirely reasonable alternative explanation to a scene.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I was watching Pontypool as part of this months horror movie challenge, and noticed something interesting, at the start of the film you have the Mrs Frenchs Cat bit where the main character talks about coincidences and how they seem to prelude major events. Then throughout the movie there's a bunch of tiny coincidental stuff happening related to cats and French/France. There's a couple of names here and there and another character mentions looking through a cat door. The cat itself comes up and everyone starts speaking French at one point (I know the film takes place somewhere where that makes sense, but it still fits).

Maybe I'm reaching, but it's pretty neat. There's also a couple nods about peoples names being the same but them not being related, the obvious one being the two kids with the same last name and birthday but no indication of relation (which is almost exactly one of the examples the main character gives as a type of coincidence that might precede a major event)

Nemesis Of Moles has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Oct 18, 2014

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Alternative pants posted:

Underrated film and my favorite recent"zombie" movie. Takes place in small town Canada, so the French makes sense.

Its really great, even if it goes way downhill after the halfway. Also just remembered that the cat is called Honey, which is the term of endearment the one woman uses all the time.

Watching Shaun of the dead right now and realized a few things that didn't get mentioned. The winchester is probably a reference to the Night of the Living Dead, its the same rifle they have in there. There's also a poster for a pool knockout competition in the pub. And I just realized that the kid working at Shaun's place is Noodle, the guy that calls Ed looking for weed at the start.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

It's pretty standard vernacular even if Romani or Irish Traveler would be more accurate. It's like "coloured" in that

lol

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I suspect it was given how smart the rest of the movie was. In Kingsmen Eggsy picks a pug as his dog to train. This is played for laughs but pugs are also historically royal dogs, Kings Dogs.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Pugs are like mad smart guys don't hate on pugs :(

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The man really does not like star wars

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There are so many of these in Zootopia, I'll just name one cause a lot of the jokes kinda revolve around cute little subtle moments
When they're in the train underground, where the sheep are growing Nighthowlers, the one Ram calls his cohorts Woolt and Jessie. The whole thing looks like a breaking bad scene starring wee animals

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I didn't mind the different portrayals of heroes in the film.

The problem is they were all very dumb.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

I mean, it's a sci fi movie with psychic bugs. They potentially could.

Wake up Sheeple

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I watched Baby Driver last night and loved it. It's full of little moments but my favorite was during the major gunfight the gunfire and explosions matched up with the beat of the music playing. This could have been going on the whole movie but I need to go back and watch it.

There's also a scene early in the movie where the lyrics of the song Baby was listening to were shown on the wall in graffiti and other stuff, but that wasn't very subtle

Thats the gimmick throughout the entire film, yeah.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

are you proposing some kind of lead/kryptonite suppository so that Clarks fart/annihilated poop doesn't kill his wife

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I don't know if this is intentional or not, but I suspect it might be. In Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri the shitheel cop who is constantly reading comic books is reading two books for most of the movie, Robot Comics, which I know nothing about, and Incorruptible, which I do know a lil about; Its a companion piece to Irredeemable, a comic about a Superman type that goes nuts and tries to genocide the world. Incorruptible follows his nemesis, a super villain who, throughout the comic, must take on a more heroic role and sort of fill the shoes of the lost superman stand-in despite himself. which is a very similar redemptive arc to the character himself. It's kind of a niche comic that wouldn't exactly be the first or easiest thing to slap in the film. The character in question is even wearing a T-Shirt from the series in an early scene.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

what about the classic scene where fifi mcaffe, previously named leather daddy australian cop, waters his plants in a Fallout 3 ruin while pontificating about the nature of The Road and Vengence to Max without his shirt on like your da used to.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I still pretend Australia is exactly like Mad Max(es) once you get away from the population centers.

"Pretend"?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

During the first "Witness!" scene Slit tries to killsteal Marsov, the warboy who does the suicide attack, and he shouts "Mediocre!" afterwards cause hes the Warboy equiv. of that dude on your Overwatch Team who loses and won't stop screaming about how many elims he got

Thats Slit on the left there at the end.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Gun Town dental plan is of a superior caliber though.

not empty quoting

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Last Crusade isn't the best Indy film, and I might be reaching but it had a bunch of foreshadowing at the start that I thought was cool;
At the lecture in beginning, Indiana says that most archeology is done in a library, and that X never marks the spot, which is funny cause the very first thing he does on his adventure is go in a library where X marks the spot.

When he meets the bad guy for the first time they're talking about how they're so close to finding the Grail, he says like "we are at the last step", to which Indy says "That's usually where the floor falls from under you", which is exactly what happens at the end in the tomb of the Grail

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's my fave but people are mean to me when I admit that so I've learned to hide my true feelings

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I feel like I am finally home, amoung friends, for the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think I once read some study somewhere that said films based on an existing IP have a higher than average chance of success when compared to non-IP films. I dunno if that's true but I suspect that's the prevailing logic behind weird non-IP IP films. If you can slap a license on something, you might as well.