Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Razorwired posted:

Pixar loves doing this stuff. Off the top of my head in Finding Nemo:

Boo's mobile can be seen in the corner of the Dentist's office, along with a Woody and Buzz Lightyear.

When the aquarium fish are detailing their escape plan there's a shot of them crossing the street from the perspective of being inside the bags. The truck that drives by as they approach the street is a Pizza Planet delivery truck.

And I think they hid a few Toy Story toys in the kids' rooms in Monsters, Inc.

I'm probably also missing a ton of these.

The really crazy thing is when they put in stuff from movies that haven't been made yet. It started in Monsters Inc when they hid Nemo everywhere. Then in Finding Nemo there's a kid reading a Mr. Incredible comic book. Then in The Incredibles Doc Hudson from Cars is parked on the street. Then in Cars WALL-E is on a pit crew during the big race. It has gone on like that to this day. Here's the most recent:

The characters from Brave, as cars, given a place of honour in a scottish pub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The opening credits for Dexter are the best ever made. The music, I think, is even more expressive than the visuals. It's basically a metaphor for his entire life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lHcn0YvBp0
Listen when he slaps the fly, there's a whining sound. It intrudes a little and then fades away as the melody starts. Later it comes back, but with the brass section as well, and is suppressed once again. Then it rises again, louder, straining against the structure of the music until finally it breaks, and the melody spirals downward until it hits the bottom and loops back up to start it all over.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

King of the Cows posted:

There are a bunch of subtle moments in the original Conan the Barbarian. They don't necessarily blow your mind, but you tend not to notice them on first viewing. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but three stand out in my memory:

First, after young Conan's village is exterminated and he is being led away in chains, you can recognize his mother's and father's heads on pikes in the background.

Second, as Conan and Subotai (the archer) are walking through the city enjoying their rats-on-sticks, Conan points to something and says, "Can you believe THAT?" It seems like a throwaway line, but if you catch it, he's pointing and lauging at a man loving a camel in the background.

Finally, maybe everyone else picked up on this but it took me a couple of viewings to realize that in the final battle, the sword used by Thulsa Doom's henchman, is the same sword they took from Conan's father in the beginning of the movie. Thus, when Conan breaks it, and then uses it to cut off Thulsa Doom's head, he is breaking away from his past - severing ties with both his real father and spiritual father. He's become his own man, owing nothing to those who may have once influenced him.

I don't know if that's intentional subtlety or just bad directing. The sword is clearly supposed to be important, it's emphasised a lot at the beginning, and Conan recovering it should be an important moment. Thulsa Doom's speeches in the middle and the end of the film seem to be in the script just to emphasise how important the sword is to Conan. The first he says is that steel is not as strong as the flesh that wields it, the second is that Doom made Conan the man he is today. He's basically saying Conan's father isn't important and neither is his sword, which is supposed to be the thing motivating him in the first place. I think the director just forgot about it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Conan commentary is amazing. Schwarzenegger is drunk the entire time and Milius may or may not be on coke. He gets really excited about things and fixates on the word 'Valkyrie,' while Arnold describes every woman on screen in terms of whether they slept with him or not.

You can make a drinking game out of how many times Milius talks about something for a couple of minutes and Schwarzenegger just responds "Yeah, exactly."

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So is the original Poseidon Adventure, actually. The main character is a lapsed reverend, and it's only after he finds God again in the climax that they manage to escape the ship. It's not as overt as in O Brother, but the pieces come together at the end.

They completely missed the point in the remake by dropping that part of the character, but keeping the big symbolic scenes like climbing the christmas tree to safety.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Now that I think about it, maybe it's not so much thinking outside the box, but thinking outside society. It ties into K's monologue about one person being smart but people as a whole being dumb herd animals.

It's not that J is the only one who thought to move the table, it's that he's the only one who dared to. When he gets up and drags the table over, everybody stops and stares at him, but he ignores them because he wants to finish the test. I think that moment, much more than his shooting gallery performance, is what got him into the MiB.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Maybe it was supposed to be a humourous anticlimax. We think they're gearing up for a big showdown and instead they sit down for an existentialist diplomatic debate with a giant mass-murdering space roach. Once you get all the sci-fi stuff out of the way, 90% of the job is paperwork.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

When Lucille announces to the triad ladies that she found a loophole to the smoking ban in the prison, they all repeat it to each other, each one mispronouncing it a different way.

Mrs. Oh, played by Bobby Lee in drag, clearly pronounces it 'RuPaul.'

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dude, it's cool that you're doing a tribute movie marathon, but I think Robin would be totally fine with you skipping a few here and there.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be Brian Peppers.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

One cabbie working an 8-hour day can bring in 6 figures. Most of them work much longer.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you are insulting this outfit you and me are going to have words outside.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Michael Bay is a brilliant satirist who has figured out that the best way to make money from satire is to market it almost exclusively to people who won't get it.

See also: Paul Verhoeven.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That depends on context and body language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFgEGmAbJew

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's not a slur in America, which is where the show is written, produced and aired, but by all means continue to spaz out about it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's something about the entire motion picture industry that you're not going to want to hear.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You're not alone, I could talk about John McTiernan movies for longer than those star wars reviews with all the rape jokes.

Same goes for Paul Verhoeven.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

"Really good except for the Denis Leary parts" describes a lot of Denis Leary's work.

Without him No Cure for Cancer is a tight half hour of Bill Hicks jokes followed by a lovely little guitar instrumental.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Baron von Eevl posted:

Same with Jon Benjamin. He always has the same voice, but his performance as Archer is totally different from McGuirk or his Bob Belcher.

I was going to say "except for that one time" and then post this video but listening to it he doesn't actually sound like Bob, he sounds like Archer acting like Bob. So poo poo, point proven I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFobb7n7AzE

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There was supposed to be a scene in gladiator with billboards popping up all over rome of maximus endorsing a certain brand of olive oil. It was taken out because it was too unrealistic.

It was actually one of the few things in that movie based on solid historical evidence.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My favourite was the grafitti in the Maeshowe tomb. It was an ancient Celtic cairn that was first officially excavated in the 19th century, but when they got in there they found a ton of viking runes. It was all stuff like "Ofram the son of Sigurd carved these runes," "This howe Vermundr carved" and "Arnfithr Matr carved these runes with this axe owned by Gauk Trandilsson in the South land" but there was one inscription on the very edge of the ceiling, and they had to get a ladder in before they could get close enough to translate it.

It said "Tholfir Kolbeinsson carved these runes very high up"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, it was amazing. Even if they could get the rights to make another one today, there's no way Disney would let Donald use racial slurs.

It was shocking, but it really made the scene impactful and I don't think the underlying metaphor of segregation in the entertainment industry would have worked nearly as well without it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What I thought was interesting is that Bilbo really wasn't affected all that much by the ring. He held onto it for decades and used it on the regular enough to have his life significantly prolonged, it just didn't affect his mind all that much. He had some withdrawal effects after he let it go, but while he had it the only real negative effect it had on his personality was that he told Gandalf a minor fib once, and he eventually came clean about that. He didn't even have that hard a time giving it away.

Maybe that's because Sauron's powers were weak or whatever, but I think it's just because Bilbo didn't know it was anything special. It was just one part of this crazy adventure he went on, and there were so many more important things happening with kings and dragons and wizards that the ring was just a funny little souvenir.

Frodo had it for another 17 years after that (sitting in an envelope on the shelf, admittedly), but as soon as he finds out it's actually the most important magical artifact in the world he's rubbing it and calling it his precious.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He's spent decades building up his public reputation and putting it on the line for the sake of the people, it's not surprising he doesn't take kindly to some vigilante who hides his face. And his son is a goddamn astronaut. That's a real hero! Do you know how you get to be an astronaut? It takes years of hard work and dedication! You sure as hell can't do it by showing up at a couple of robberies wearing a Halloween costume! Every man, woman and child in this city knows the name of J. Jonah Jameson, is there even a single person who knows who this punk is? Is he even American?!

Miss Brant, read that back to me.

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 23:11 on May 25, 2018

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jedit posted:

Which one of you fuckers bought him an SA account, is what I want to know.

Nobody, that's why he was so angry. He couldn't read the ending of the Dangan Ronpa let's play.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The best indiana jones movie is Tomb Raider and its spinoff tv series, The Relic Hunter.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Punisher is such a perfect example of the kind of lovely edgelord characters that plagued comics in the 80s and 90s, I was very surprised to learn he was created in 1974.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Aphrodite posted:

That's a retcon.

When the original Captain America comic came out, America had no interest in the war. The government considered it a European problem that they should be left to sort out themselves, and most people thought this Hitler fella had some pretty good ideas, although they'd prefer if he wasn't invading so many other countries. Members of the American Nazi party, which was a legitimately registered political organization that did not even pretend to hide itself, showed up at the Marvel offices and said they were there to beat up some communists. When word got up to Jack Kirby he went down intending to fistfight all of them personally, but they had left by the time he got there.

Captain America was always supposed to be about what America should stand for, even especially when it's the opposite of what it actually does.

e: and somebody else already said the same thing several hours ago so there you go

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Jul 13, 2018

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I read that entire series and I JUST got that joke

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Burn After Reading, where the guy in charge of everything not only never meets the protagonists, he never knows they exist or that he's supposed to be in some sort of conflict with them.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Some taco bells in Canada have liquor licenses, but they only have a single beer tap and it dispenses bud light.

It's the worst of all possible worlds.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Arcsquad12 posted:

As far as TV edits go, have they ever been to a film's benefit.

John Goodman smashing a sports car with a golf club while screaming "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps!" Is funnier than anything the Coen brothers have ever written

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Until this thread I had no idea the movie wasn't supposed to be in chronological order

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A dory is also a type of fish

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Krispy Wafer posted:

Das Boot was a good movie with a sad ending.

Downfall was a good movie with a happy ending.

The Great Escape and Bridge on the River Kwai are the same movie made from American and British perspectives, respectively.

In the American movie only two people survive the prison camp and it's treated like a happy ending. In the British one all but two get out alive and well and it's a tragedy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There was, unfortunately, editing involved.

They cut around Ron Perlman saying "oh gently caress" when she made the shot

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

dirksteadfast posted:

And Billy Murray accepted the role because he thought it was written by Joel Coen. The Garfield Movie. By the Coen Brothers. That would’ve been quite a sight.

That is what he said, but I don't believe it for a second

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The thread has heard this before, but the entire thing is a direct parody of a movie from the fifties, and it's so close that the producers had to buy the rights to the original. It cost them $2500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-v2BHNBVCs

It's very unsubtle, except for the fact that nobody saw the original

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n-rGnI9XNo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Comedy is funnier now than it's ever been, Mel Brooks' brain has just calcified from age and he can't come up with new material. When somebody tells you the poo poo you're saying isn't funny anymore, you don't go whining to the news media, you SAY SOME DIFFERENT poo poo