Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Aleph Null posted:

When Tim the Enchanter says his name, he says it with a questioning tone because he's not really sure what his name is.

It's actually because the actor, John Cleese, had a vision at that exact moment that decades later people would miss the very straightforward joke that a mundane name like 'Tim' doesn't suit a powerful wizard and instead would make up a story that he forgot the name of his own character, and it confused him enough that he nearly flubbed the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Kubrick leaked them himself to keep people talking about him

You really think "Kubrick was such an amazing director that the government paid him millions to fake the moon landing" came out of thin air?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It didn't even start as a book, the radio series came years earlier

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jedit posted:

the Guide itself is a hopelessly antiquated concept now

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lampsacus posted:

"the normies don't get the gag! the movie did not give a fuuuck about Adams' humour so much that they literally let the normie audience think Milliways is at a certain spatial end of the universe."

Douglas Adams did the same thing, that's why it's funny. He lets the reader think that the characters are referring to the spatial end of the universe until it is revealed in the next book that they're going to the chronological end of the universe. The only thing it's missing is the punchline, and you can blame the mediocre box office for that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Please sign my petition to have JK Simmons' JJJ in the MCU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zedd posted:

According to rumors/early revieuws he is

Don't play with my feelings like this

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

life is just a learning game.

Here in
Duckburg

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Please join us in the Jurassic Park thread for interesting content like point-by-point comparisons of book Hammond and movie Hammond, which characters are based on which real-life paleontologists, and pages and pages of thirsting for Jeff Goldblum

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895938

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Preacher isn't a direct 1:1 adaptation, but it is very faithful in tone.

Would any of the people you regularly interact with talk about a Garth Ennis comic in public?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BiggerBoat posted:

Another great of example of subtlety is Christopher Reeve's use of body language in the Superman films. When he plays Kent, he slouches noticeably and moves more awkwardly, really selling the idea of a secret identity. He even talks differently, with a more nasal pitch and a bit of a stammer. The scene where he removes his glasses to confide his secret to Lois is a remarkable transformation into Superman just through posture, voice inflection and facial expression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1va--ud-aU

I like the behind the scenes story from Superman 2 that Christopher Reeve went to the same diner for lunch every day they were shooting in Niagara Falls. When he went in the Superman costume he was swarmed by fans. Nobody even noticed him when he was Clark Kent.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh, they'll just make another song that sounds exactly like Let It Go. They already did it for the new Aladdin movie

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

bitterandtwisted posted:

The worst for me was the episodes where someone other than James Avery played Shredder.

That was Uncle Phil??

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Obviously The Bride is not Mia Wallace. She's a character being played by Mia Wallace in the big budget Hollywood adaptation of the tv show she was telling Vince about

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Excuse me that clearly works out to -20 and -2

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He said "as you were" and that's as he was

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There was just supposed to be a short, realistic spurt of blood at the point of contact, but the production designer really wanted it to be impressive, so he doubled the PSI when it was time to actually film the scene.

The extra pressure caused the nozzle to jam and then break off entirely, spraying out the entire blood reservoir. He thought he'd be fired for sure, but when he looked over to Kurosawa, he just nodded.

So not only did this invent the giant blood spray we all know and love, but that little quarter of a second pause before the nozzle broke was expanded upon by later directors, getting longer and longer until you had characters taking steps or saying lines before finally falling down dead, and then anime took that and ran with it to the point that the characters themselves didn't even know they were dead until they suddenly exploded into clouds of blood

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Shakespeare's wife was named Anne Hathaway, do people in this universe think that's weird?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Also, you should watch the rest of the trilogy, they're good movies. 2 and 3 were shot at the same time and are intended to be watched together

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Gromit posted:

I still don't understand why they made a movie based on the Battleships board game, or the one on the Rampage video game. What target demographic were fans of those things, and a big enough group to warrant the licensing to lure them in?

I loved Rampage. I put a hundred quarters into my local machine, I got my first job just so I could afford the nes game, when the remake came out I bought a Nintendo 64 just to play it, and until this post I had no idea that movie last year with The Rock in it had anything to do with the game

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jedit posted:

What, despite the monsters wrecking the city being a huge wolf, a huge lizard and a huge ape called George? The biggest change was that they started as animals instead of people.

I only ever saw the teaser and only the gorilla and the wolf were in it and the wolf wasn't even anthro man get off my dick

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I love these moments in movies when I get all huffy about something being wrong and then that's revealed to be the joke and it's like "Ohhh the movie knows I'm an rear end in a top hat!"

This was me with Braveheart. I've personally held (an exact replica of) William Wallace's sword and that guy was loving BIG. I'm over six feet and I couldn't keep my balance swinging it around, there's no way Mel Gibson would even be able to lift it one handed.

Braveheart's response to me, personally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE5TdbijIeo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And to bring it back around, the choreographer on Episode 1 had to reteach Liam Neeson how to fake swordfight, because he'd just come off of the much more realistic Rob Roy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmM5l2ceoY

Meanwhile, somebody else had to teach Ewan not to make the lightsaber noises with his mouth

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've been re-watching The Venture Brothers recently, because I think I've only seen seasons 6 and 7 once each so I figured I might as well start at the beginning.

And in the season one episode "Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean" (where Dean has testicular torsion,) The Monach is taking Hank and Brock back to the cocoon, and Hank is reading a book that has a list of all The Guild villains.

The Monarch asks for Hank to look him up, but he's not in the book. At the time, we're supposed to take this to mean that it's just because The Monarch is a one-shot lovely villain, but in the season 3 premiere, "Shadowman 9: In The Cradle of Destiny," we find out that (minor spoiler for a ten+ year old season, not putting it in a box):
It's because The Monarch never officially registered as a villain with The Guild. He was a henchman for Phantom Limb, and then just started arching Dr.Venture on the side because he hates him, then quit being a henchman for good and took Dr.Girlfriend/Queen Etheria/Lady AuPair/Dr.Mrs.The Monarch with him.

(Ok, the REAL reason is that when Doc and Jackson wrote season 1 it WAS because The Monarch was a lovely villain not worthy of The Guild book, but I like that they were able to retcon in a reason that fits with The Guild's insistence on crushing bureaucracy.)

One of them said a couple of years back that the first thing they do when they're writing a new season is go through old episodes looking for throwaway lines they can hang new hooks on

It ends up being so satisfying to rewatch because they're rewatching right along with you

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You know, the more I hear about this Michael Eisner fellow the more I wish I could have been there when he found out about Shrek.

Imagine being such a monumental bastard that the people you drive away get together to form their own studio and make one of the most famous animated films of all time, heavily featuring a caricature of you named "Lord Fuckwad"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

couldcareless posted:

Don't pretend like Katzenberg is any better.

Imagine being such a monumental bastard that you drive people back to Jeffry Katzenberg

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay how long has Disney been doing this live action remake poo poo because I've only heard of like three of these

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only bad thing about Mars Attacks is that it didn't do well enough to justify the sequel, Dinosaurs Attack

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Baron von Eevl posted:

Dinosaurs Attack! was originally going to be the movie, Jurassic Park made them shift because they didn't want it to seem like a cheap knockoff.

Oh poo poo that's even more of a tragedy

We were so close

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Well if you're going in that direction, all historical accounts of mermaids are just lonely sailors seeing different marine mammals and thinking about it for a second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPxXRCkHkbo

"what else that mouth do"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's why we have Romeo and Filet laws

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What seems obvious to movie industry insiders and what seems obvious to the general public are two different things.

For example, the former keep giving awards to Roman Polanski

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Among with most of the other Mars-related movies of the last few years.

Does seem like a case where design-by-committee ends up with a title that has absolutely no appeal, though. Though every indication seems to be that executives literally don't understand why people do or don't like movies at all.

One of the best kung fu movies of all time was retitled "Wheels on Meals" because the studio had two movies that started with the letter M flop and they decided it was cursed

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

First Blood would have been a much better movie if Rambo died. It's so obvious that the colonel was supposed to shoot him in the head at the end, everything was leading up to that moment. They even shot the scene where he's shouting about who drew first blood just like the end of old yeller.

Then somebody mentioned that they could probably squeeze out some sequels and all artistic integrity went out the window

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Android Apocalypse posted:

There was talk of a Squirrel Girl tv show. Is that still a go?

Squirrel Girl is great.

I don't know, there's only one person who could possibly do the character justice and Kristen Schaal is getting a little too old to play a teenager

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You gotta YouTube it. Kristen Schall has to be heard

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Aphrodite posted:

Including Lucas.

Everything cool about Star Wars was an accident, or Harrison Ford’s addition.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He had the most screen time and fewest lines, allowing the costume and prop designers to do their very good work without George's very bad work getting in the way.

He tried his best to ruin the character in the next movie, but the lack of damage was already done

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I really wanted one of the big Crystal Head vodka bottles for planting a terrarium but there was no way I was going to buy it off the shelf. I'm sure one will turn up at a garage sale or a thrift shop some day when we get past THE PLAGUE and I start going outside again

Check your local TJ Maxx / Winners (when safe to do so). You can find them filled with vinegary, mediocre hot sauce for ten bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It has three different names in Canada and none of them have the letters T or X in them