Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This is the only one I know of that hasn't been mentioned yet:

In Unbreakable, Sam Jackson's character is named Mr. Glass. Every time we are introduced to him (as a newborn, as a child and as an adult) we see him in reflection first.

As a newborn, he's reflected in the clothing store's full length mirror (And I think the camera swings around to show that we were looking at a reflection for the first few minutes)

As a kid, the scene opens with Mr. Glass reflected in the glass of a TV that's turned off, before the camera spins and we view the "real" kid.

Finally, as an adult, we see his face reflected in the glass protecting his artwork while he describes the painting, and the camera then pulls back revealing his real face.

I don't recall if there are other moments like that in the film, but those three are there for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Shane-O-Mac posted:

In O Brother, Where Art Thou, Everitt and his two companions travel to a radio station, where they are paid by the blind DJ to record a song. After the recording session, the DJ asks the men to sign a form so they can get paid. Everitt says something along the lines of "I hope it's ok that these other two guys just sign X's for their names, on account of they can't read."

I never got it before, but it's implied that Everitt told the blind DJ that there were five performers instead of the actual three, so they got paid for two extra singers. The DJ was blind, so he was none the wiser.

Not sure if it's meant to be subtle or not, but in the scene prior where Everitt and his buddies pick up the Black bassist(?), they learn that he sold his soul to the devil. One asks "What does the devil look like?" Everitt chimes in with a classic devil image (red skin, pitchfork, horns, goat feet, etc.). The black man corrects him and instead describes the devil as being white, with a big hound dog, and several other descriptions I'm forgetting ATM.

We learn later that the description matches that of the sheriff that has been chasing the crew for a good portion of the movie.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, so I don't recall if this is actually subtle, or if the movie beats you over the head with it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm sure everyone here knows that Alfred Hitchcock is famous for appearing in cameos in almost all of his films, but in Lifeboat, the entire movie is mostly just the actors in the boat adrift at sea. Hitchcock's cameo comes when one castaway is reading a newspaper. He's a 'before' model in a 'before and after' weight loss ad.

Probably my all time favorite Hitchcock cameo.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

To re-rail this just a little bit, Django Unchained, the horse that Jamie Foxx uses throughout the majority movie, is actually his horse.

Also, at the end of the dinner scene, Calvin Candie smashes some glass on the table and ends up cutting open his hand. The only catch being that this wasn't scripted and not a special effect; Leo really cut open his hand. So a moment later, when he is manhandling Brunhilde and he smears blood all over her? Yeah, that's the real deal.

EDIT:VVV Yeah, that would be a whole lot less illegal wouldn't it? Still, props to the guy for finishing the scene.

Since that's trivia, and not really subtle though, how about this:

At the beginning of the movie, Django speaks in a halting, almost stuttering manner, with an unrefined, dirty quality. Understandable for a period movie and playing an uneducated slave. But by the last act of the film, most notably when speaking with the slavers from the mining company, his speech patterns are clear and very easily understood.

CzarChasm has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Jan 23, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

In The Departed, and I might be off on this being subtle, but that bit where Costigan is told to meet the crew and given the wrong building number - he was given the wrong number on purpose, not by accident, I just never realized it

The dude that gives him the wrong number turns out to be a cop plant, and says that he (and presumably everyone else) understood that 'the guy who doesn't show up today is the rat'. So he was trying to frame a random member of the gang to take the fall by sending them to the wrong place, and it happened to be Costigan.

Then when the guy gets shot and is dying anyway, he admits this. I thought he was just explaining that he knew who Costigan really was, but it clicked recently that he was also confessing to try to set him up, because he didn't know Costigan was an actual undercover.

See, I didn't quite read it that way, but I could be mistaken. I thought that he had given him the wrong address by mistake, and was genuinely surprised that Costigan shows up at the right place. Though I guess neither example explains why he didn't rat him out to everyone else with his dying breath.

I also don't think he was a plant. The other gangsters just came to the conclusion "whelp, dead guy was the plant. We're safe now"

It's been a while since I've seen the movie though, so I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Priznat put it clearer, but that's how I view it.

CzarChasm has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Mar 1, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Kind of a silly one, but at the end of Wayne's World they have the Scooby-Doo ending, and it turns out Rob Lowe was Old Man Withers, who owns the amusement park. It's an amusing little joke about Scooby-Doo.

But in the first part of the movie, when Wayne goes into the doughnut shop, he sees Old Man Withers sitting there and asks him how his amusement park is doing.

Holy crap! Love that movie, seen it dozens of times, never picked up on that. That just brought a smile to my miserable face.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

OurIntrepidHero posted:

I would actually disagree and say that it did have some significance. The story in a lot of ways is about the pent up sexual energy underneath the surface of white collar America. We see this in the way that both Brad and Janet shed the silly and false personally of the wedding scene throughout the movie, and become sexual people. It makes sense than that Riff, Magenta, Columbia, and even Frank as the priest appear in the wedding scene. The world of sexuality that they represent in the castle is what's under the surface of the characters in the wedding scene, and an appropriate metaphor for the general message of the movie.

I think that's finding meaning that really isn't there. I love it when people do it, really I do. But I think you're reaching. It's entertaining though. And an entertaining falsehood beats a boring truth any day in my book.

As pointed out above, for the stage show, the cast is relatively small, there isn't a lot in the way of musical numbers that require a full chorus, and a lot of live shows have the same character play Dr. Scott and Eddie, so that gives you ~9 actors and maybe one song that involves everyone depending on production. It's just a call back to the stage show.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Ghostbusters

This movie is filled with a lot of subtle moments, many of which were covered in the Ghostbusters thread in CD (Not sure if it is still around). Some highlights:

When Ray has Egon turn on the power pack for the first time in the elevator and mentions how he has an untested nuclear accelerator strapped to his back, Egon and Peter back away as much as they can in the elevator.

After bagging Slimer they confront the hotel Manager and go over details of the bill, while Peter is tallying up numbers, Egon is holding up fingers to indicate how much money to charge the Hotel behind the manager's back.

Lewis is the ill fated "Key master" who keeps getting thwarted by locked doors

There's probably a ton that I'm forgetting.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Riptor posted:

Something I realized this morning:

In Back to the Future II, the Hill Valley Courthouse in 2015 has been changed into the Courthouse Mall. I always thought it was just a simple reflection on how times change and the world becomes more commercialized, etc, and especially a nod towards the mall craze of the 1980s. But there's an extra layer to it - earlier when Doc is telling Marty about the swiftness with which Marty's kids get convicted, he mentions that the justice system works much faster "now that they've abolished all laywers". If there's no lawyers you don't need a courthouse to be a courthouse anymore!

Never noticed that one before.

Another BBTF one, subtle, but well known. When Marty first uses the Delorean it's at the "Twin Pines Mall". When he first travels to the past, he destroys one of the two pine trees on the Farm where he arrives. When he gets back to 1985, the mall has been renamed to the "Lone Pine Mall"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Marengo posted:

Probe is a game in which you try to guess your opponents' secret safe word before they guess yours. It's only risque if you want it to be.

Fixed that for you

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think the implication is that he himself is Adam, which is something I never did catch on to despite having seen that movie many times but then I was 12 and in the field of appreciation for cinematic art, discovering theological implications took a backseat to seeing a dude make cave paintings in a suburban living room.

If he was Adam, then he would have either been frozen before fathering children, thus preventing propagation; or shortly afterward. But as we see at the end, "Eve" was also frozen, therefore she was not around to raise any children either.

Why, I'm beginning to think that this movie wasn't a documentary at all! Though it is about as sound as the creationist argument, so there is that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

Not necessarily subtle but something I just picked up today: the opening scenes of Watchmen have a montage showing the early days of the Minutemen and Watchmen set to The Times They Are A Changing.
In the very first shot, we see this:

Nite Owl punching out a gunman at the Gotham Opera House in front of a terrified wealthy couple sneaking out the stage door with an advertisement for Fledermaus in the background. On the other side of Nite Owl, we see adverts for Batman placing the film in a universe where Batman exists as a fictional character, but preventing an actual instance of Batman from existing.

OK, I'm pretty sure I recognized the gunman accosting a family outside a theater before, but the Fledermaus and Batman ads are new. Very cool.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Eclipse12 posted:

Jonne McLance. Hero of the Died Hard movies.

DIED HARD: When being a retired LA cop, Dr. Jonne McLance was visiting his ex-to-be-wife in Chicagoland. She was in Talls Tower when German Terrorists attack and keep the police out. Now only Jonne, with is bare feet, can climb the Talls Tower and rescue ex-to-be-wife from Hank Glueman and explosion!

Also, watch for to seeing DIED HARD 4: DIED, HARDMAN! DIE!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Back to the Future part 2 was on over the weekend and I noticed something for the first time.

After Marty and Doc return to (bad) 1985, Doc changes his clothes. His new Hawaiian shirt has trains on it. Might be nothing, but given this series, I don't think there are a lot of coincidences.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

minato posted:

I think it might have been this thread that pointed it out, but it blew my mind that I've seen BTTF a zillion times and never noticed that the Doc's name is "Time" backwards.

Unless you mean some Chinese knock-off version of the film (Return to Next Clock-Time), Doc's first name is spelled "Emmett". It kind of sounds like "emit", which is "time" backwards...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Was that the one that also had a cigar store Indian come to life and kill some rednecks?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't think that this was posted before in this thread, but in the first Superman movie, there is a scene where Christopher Reeve, as Clark Kent, is about to reveal to Lois Lane that he is, in fact, Superman. So she leaves the room to get ready for dinner, and you see him 'transform'. At the last minute, he chickens out and transforms back to Clark.

Now the scene itself isn't subtle, it's the entire point of the scene. The change however is. It's more than just "Take off glasses and Wow! You're Superman!" His entire bearing, stance and attitude change between Supes and Clark. He goes from nebbish to bold in about 2 seconds and then back again almost as fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

IntelligentCalcium posted:

Going back to The Usual Suspects for a minute...

-Was the supposed 'furious anger of Keyser' at the main cast actually for real? Was he such a hardass that he'd go through all that trouble to assemble what really just amounted to a crowd of small-time lone crooks who just happened to cross him in relatively minor ways? And why set up such a complicated ruse in the first place? If he's as powerful and terrifying as they say, it would be nothing for him to get a gaggle of faceless hired thugs to take care of the big job, and just as easy to find one or more gunmen-for-hire to take out these supposed 'opponents' of his.

Not putting up spoilers for an almost 20 year old movie, and the big twist was already discussed earlier.

It's been a little while since I've seen the movie, but IIRC, Keyser sends Kobyashi to the group with the big bad bogeyman story, and that each of those men had betrayed Keyser without knowing it. So, in order to let bygones be bygones he sends them on a suicide mission under the pretense of getting a huge shipment of drugs (or maybe guns) from a rival faction and then everything will be square.

But that's a lie. There are no drugs. The actual target is the one man who can identify Keyser by appearance. He's on the boat. But the only way Keyser/Kint can get close enough to kill him is with the help of the other guys. While the other three are raiding the ship, looking for the stash, Kint's coming up behind them (as I think Kint was supposed to be 'lookout'), and tying up loose ends.

At the end, everyone involved is either dead or dying, so Keyser assumes that blowing up the boat will kill his target for sure. Unfortunately for him, the one living guy that they fish out of the harbor just happens to be that guy. He doesn't know, or really even assume, that there were any survivors the whole time he's being grilled in interrogation.

He could have fabricated the whole backstabbing reasons "You pulled a heist that Soze had his eyes on. You robbed one of his business fronts. You conned his friend out of 10 grand..." and just known enough about these guys that they would be desperate enough to not want to be on his poo poo list to do whatever that took. Even if they did accidentally muscle in on his territory, they are much more valuable to him as pawns then whatever money may have been lost in the venture. Or maybe this is a two birds with one stone kind of deal. He gets revenge, and no one involved lives to tell the tale but him, and the myth of Keyser Soze continues to grow.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Jedit posted:

Even famed control freak George Lucas knows that you listen to Christopher Lee aand do what he says.

Well, I mean, he is a Dracula...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Just wanted to say thanks to whoever was responsible for changing the thread title

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Right. The whole point of that subplot is that Bruce had basically locked himself away for eight years with virtually no human contact. The entire point of his existence, to him, was to be Batman- his dedication to that persona and his ideals was destroying every other part of his life. He did initially have the goal of "retiring" to be with Rachel, but his grief and possible guilt over her death just pushed him further away.

He's eventually able to move past that with Selina, and while it is a little silly and unrealistically convenient that Bruce figured out EXACTLY WHAT CAFE Alfred would go to and EXACTLY WHEN he'd be taking his vacation, just so their encounter could line up exactly with the story Alfred had told, that arc is essential to Bruce's character.

In fairness to the movie, that is absolutely the kind of thing that Batman would do.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

"And over here we have... a fuckin' MONSTER!!"

:v::hf::v:

*Moon-runs past the stationary camera waving his arms*
AAAAAH!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

trickybiscuits posted:

That whole movie is surprisingly smart, starting with the fact that it's based on Xenephon's "Anabasis" and some of the names are from it (Cyrus for Cyrus the Great; Ajax, Cleon). Rembrandt is called Rembrandt because he's the "artist" who's responsible for putting up the gang's sign; early in the movie somebody tells him to bring spraypaint, which appears again in the fight in the subway men's room near the end. The fact that he's "artistic" might also explain why he's not taken in by the Lizzies. Or that could just be because he's smart.

I thought he wasn't taken in by the Lizzies because the movie seems to hint that he's gay. It's been a few years since I watched it though, so I could be wrong.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Tyrannosaurus posted:

my fav. part of snatch requires you to turn on subtitles

Hmm...Now I wonder if we should have a PYF Subtitle Movie Moment thread

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

A nice little nod for comic book geeks

In the beginning of Ant-man, Michael Douglas' character brushes off inquires to his time as the Ant-Man as "Tales to Astonish"

Tales to Astonish is the comic book series that Ant-Man first appeared in.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I've written a letter to Disney about this asking, nay demanding they pull this movie from theaters immediately.

Well, congratulations as it appears your write in campaign was a success.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Daredevil doesn't want his opponents to know that he's blind otherwise they start trying to use it to their advantage like those pesky ninjas in the latest Netflix series.

This, but also, when you give a poo poo about your secret identity and you are the only notable blind white guy in town, you probably don't want to have a huge clue like that just out in the open.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Something I really liked in this weeks Flash episode was how he had trouble stopping when he ran.

Way back in Season 1, he would always skid to a halt and wave his arms around for the first few episodes, and he slowly got better at it. It was a nice throwback.

PYF Subtle Movie Moments: A man who might be Barry Allen, flailing his arms

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Ditto.

Blazing Saddles was is amazing.

:colbert:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

By being sober?

That movie made me so angry merely by existing. Like, the only movie that makes me weep for humanity more than Young Einstein is Chairman of the Board.
And, yes, I realize Yahoo Serious and Carrot Top are different people.

Subtle Movie Moments: Yahoo Serious and Carrot Top are Different People

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Vulpes posted:

Shoulda gone with Groundhog Troopers.

Groundhog Die, surely.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

edit: Having said that he was pretty much right about Fight Club though.

As I understand it, the two of you shouldn't have been discussing this at all.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

A subtle bit from the TV show Get Shorty is how every time Miles describes the plot of the movie he's trying to make he keeps adding on stuff from his own life. He learns his separated wife has a new boyfriend and all of a sudden he's talking about how his Irish soldier main character is being cuckolded.

There's a Get Shorty TV show?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

That was weirdly specific and passive-aggressive, though I can somehow imagine the animators were totally down for it. And it makes sense to have the main and secondary company mascots playing off each other in the only opportunity to do so.

IIRC in some of the behind the scenes stuff on Wreck it Ralph Capcom and Nintendo had a back and forth like this during the early Villains meeting. The dailies would come back and Bowser would be a little bigger than M. Bison so Capcom wanted Bison bigger. Then Nintendo wanted Bowser bigger again. It went back and forth a few times.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Agent355 posted:

Since the topic came up again anyway, I definitely find the starwars prequels to be the bad movies that are hardest to defend and every time I hear somebody say 'I like the star wars prequels' I begin to question literally every other opinion they have.

For a PYF subtle movie moment: the entire movie Super.

E: actually Super isn't very subtle but gently caress it, it's a great god drat movie.

I have an acquaintance who loves the prequel movies.

He's never seen the original trilogy

He's in his late 20's

You may notice I did not call him a friend

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

I still like the idea that Yoda's actually a 900 year old human.

I like that in games and other media where we've seen other members of Yoda's species, none of them do the backwards talking stuff.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

It's not really subtle, but the climax of Happy Death Day has something I really dug.

I really liked the twist that the groundhog day loop the protagonist was dealing with was not a moral one, but a practical one. She didn't have to be a Nice Person or anything to get out of it, she just had to survive the day. If during any of her previous loops she had killed her actual killer, it would've been over right then and there.

I'm not usually a fan of horror movies, especially the more recent "dumb teens in peril" ones, but this caught my attention. Any good?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

People hate Inglorious Basterds?

Welcome to Trump's America. Where any movie portraying Nazis as bad is oppressive media and is flawed in its very thinking.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

:hai:

He did hit Franco upside the head with a loo(?) tho. :v:

A real person. Your example doesn't really count. What's more, even if it did count like that, it's the lesser of two evils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

just lol if you don't get out of the shower, put a towel on, puff your chest out and scream "YEAH, MELBA!" over and over. Every single time. As a 30 year old man with children.

edit: Also lol if you can't single the entire Recycling song from memory. ARE EEE SEE WHY SEE ELL EEE RECYCLLLLLLLLLLLLLE

edit: you guys I think I just figured out I'm autistic

Dawning Realization Day can be a very dangerous day.