Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Is the tar baby itself problematic, though? I was under the impression that 99% of the racism in the film is Uncle Remus and his "shucks I sure do love being a slave, and my massa is the nicest" attitude. The brer stories always seemed pretty basic Bugs Bunny stuff to me (at least in memory, I haven't watched them in years). Yeah, the tar baby is black, but that's just because it's made of tar. It's not like it runs around eating watermelon and asking where the white women at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sandler's best role is Punch Drunk Love, because it isn't a lovely Sandler movie.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Goons are only good at seeing subtle things. The obvious? Waaaay over everyone's head

I clicked the link in your sig, and that led me to the current prompt, which led me to this: https://twitter.com/thestrangelog

I can never thank you enough.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

I heard somewhere that him hitting the wound was supposed to be him revving up his dark side power, because pain and suffering leads to the dark side as well. If he's hitting it, he's causing more pain, which will help to strengthen his power. I thought that was an interesting take on it. When I watched it, I saw anger and frustration as well.

The same thing can work in real life, because it increases adrenaline. I've even heard the actor suggested it, because he knew about it from his military experience.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Yes but that's not as funny when Han asks him what he did.

Correct. Also, being in sanitation doesn't mean he was literally a janitor slinging a mop, people.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I went into The Grey with no idea what it was about. I thought it was a spy film (I think I mixed it up with Safe House) and was surprised as gently caress when suddenly wolves.

I found out later that the trailer even goes so far as to show the last 10 seconds of the movie ala Free Willy.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

what the gently caress happened to this thread

Goons.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

A huge old lady

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ignoring Crystal Skull

This is always the correct thing to do.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In Conan the Barbarian Conan finds the Atlantean Sword while stranded on a rock surrounded by dogs. He readies his new sword to meet the dogs as they attack. In the next scene he has a fur coat. It never occurred to me that it's almost certainly made from the dogs, and not just something he found between scenes.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

I think you meant to post this in the irrationally irritating thread. About Whedon, yes?

Or the Babylon 5 thread, about JMS.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My extremely tiny iimm about Galaxy Quest is why does a race that doesn't understand deceit have holographic disguises?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rolo posted:

Holy poo poo who gives a poo poo.

How dare people discuss things on this, an internet message board.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

300: Rise of an Empire had a woman whose back story was that when she was 5 or 6 her family was slaughtered by soldiers and she was taken as a slave by those soldiers and constantly gang raped for the next decade or so until she was rescued.

The movie wants us to believe she and the man who rescued her are the villains, and the army that had a six-year-old sex slave are the heroes.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The one thing I desperately hope we eventually get in a Star Wars film is one capital ship destroying another capital ship with a broadsides. In all eight film so far every capital ship that has been destroyed has done so through strange circumstances, or a Death Star laser.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, in Revenge of the Sith, I can think a Separatist ship coming out of hyperspace collides with a friendly ship and they both go up in flames.

I think this fits quite comfortably in the "strange circumstances" category, and is most certainly not a broadsides.

I want this in space: https://youtu.be/wNQUeeF6hso

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kelly's heroes

AKA The Best Movie

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nobody ever mentions Furiosa's arm in Fury Road.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Memento posted:

Yeah it's just "cybernetic arm so what". Shows how much different the idea of "normal" in post apocalypse New South Wales is from what we expect today.

Yes. Plus even if it's still "abnormal" that doesn't mean it'd be commented upon.

The arm isn't subtle. The fact that the movie doesn't zoom in on it and have a character say "Look, it's a robot arm! She has that arm because of *giant exposition dump here*." is subtle.

The characters see it. They're aware of it. They don't comment on it. In real life when I see somebody with a prosthetic limb I see it, I'm aware of it, and I don't comment on it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still think Tippet's best work was on Cain in Robocop 2. Just really cool how well he integrated go motion with the actual picture.

Cain is, by far, my favorite robot/cyborg in cinema.

In keeping with the thread topic, I love that he had spiked toes that come down to anchor him when he fires his shoulder cannon.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Reno 911: Miami has multiple commentary tracks done by the cast, in character. It's glorious.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Taeke posted:

One things I started noticing and absolutely love about the show is that it doesn't waste time at the start or end of an episode. It always jumps right into the (setup for) the conflict, and when it ends there's no sappy epilogue or smirks or whatever. Just boom, credits, done. It makes me feel, I don't know, respected as a viewer, I guess, because they know I'm smart enough that I don't need to actually see them arrive home for the happy ending. O'Neill patting Teal'C on the shoulder as they turn towards the Stargate (if that) is enough to conclude an episode.

My favorite example of this is one where O'Neill had been captured and imprisoned on an alien ship. The episode hinges on him trying to convince an all-powerful being sworn to non-interference to just unlock the door for him. He doesn't need a full rescue, just an unlocked door. He can take care of everything else himself. In the end he is successful, and the episode ends with him pushing the door open and heading out into the hallway. And that's it. We don't need to see him disarm a guard, hijack an escape pod, or get back to Earth. O'Neill has gotten out of his cell, he said he could handle himself once that happened, and the show knows that we believe him.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mel Brooks is overrated and most of his films aren't actually that good. Influential, sure, but deeply inconsistent.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Perhaps not subtle but an example of a brilliant little detail in writing is in Galaxy Quest, when the miners first turn scary. The crew all panics and Sigourney Weaver says "Let's get out of here before one of those things eats Guy!" She (and all of them) know who's the prime target for any monsters they encounter.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Beaten by Wrath of Khan and ahead of Undiscovered Country.

Man, there are a lot of lovely Star Trek movies.

Undiscovered Country's the best Trek film and also the best film about the end of the Cold War.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sand Monster posted:

There are probably dozens of examples of decisions that look questionable (or downright horrible) in retrospect. At least Spielberg won Best Director.

LA Confidential losing to Titanic will infuriate me until the day I die.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Thankfully we have Moana now, which has like 7 good songs AND a well done plot.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, sure thing champ.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

syscall girl posted:

And if you want more of that conceit see anything ever where the main characters are soldiers

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Disney and WB both insisted that the other not have more screen time in Roger Rabbit. That's why Bugs/Mickey and Donald/Daffy have shared scenes. It was the easiest way to ensure a tie.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Grey Fox posted:

I also thought they made Arnold's roll off the semi truck at the end look...less bad.

I have always liked the roll off the truck, because it's blatantly stiff and artificial. I took that as an intentional "this is a robot" effect, and not just a bad prop for safety's sake.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rangpur posted:

honestly, if it has to be done you could just substitute 'students' or 'apprentices,' or something.

"Padawans" is already an in universe unique term. Use that, even.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's actually impressive just how bad she is on the prequels. Keira Knightley has like three lines and she pulls it off better than Portman does.

I 100% blame Lucas. He was shouting "Less emotion, more wooden!" at her every take.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

"There's like, a MILLION people over there. And I have these little arms."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

bamhand posted:

He should've taken some basic behavioral economics. Experiments show people would rather gently caress over themselves + someone else rather than let the other person get preferential treatment.

Yeah. When somebody's given a choice of either getting $1 while somebody else gets $10, or having both of them receive nothing, they almost universally choose the nothing option.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

There's a difference between "mom doesn't approve" kosher and "God doesn't approve" kosher.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Powaqoatse posted:

The whole script is full of "subtleties" like that, except for the Leary part, that's just Bill Hicks' standup routine transplanted into the film

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

John Goodman in any role is a goddamn national treasure.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Duke Igthorn posted:

Edit:
Hey
Picture
can