Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Beachcomber posted:

I can't think of a single modern song that has subject matter anywhere near as unusual as Bohemian Rhapsody.

I think there needs to be more songs that aren't just about the here and now.

Bohemian Rhapsody is about a murderer, his judgement and subsequent 'gently caress it'-ism. It's not actually that complicated a story and it's not really beloved because of it, it's much more about the instrumentation, spectacle, and some of the weird poo poo they did in recording it (they literally couldn't play it live in full, they usually did part of another song instead of the 'let him go' part).

I think part of it is also, honestly, hype and momentum. I love the song, and it deserves the praise it gets, but it gets its podium in large part because it already has that podium. It's a lot harder to score that spot in the first place even if you do just write something that huge and crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I still suspect that Strange did something to the Time Stone that'll spur the plot on, somehow. But at this point that's less actual expectation and more hope; he got kinda short-changed in terms of having a proper effect, a trick from beyond the grave would help him out there. And since Doctor Strange was one of the better MCU movies, it really sucks to see him get jerked around in particular.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

hatelull posted:

This has probably been picked and analyzed to death in the CD thread, but I would speculate the logic is that Doc saw the only timeline they win but it required him to keep silent about it. If anyone (i.e., Stark) had the knowledge that the good guys do win and can reverse everything he might do something to skew the events necessary, thus creating a fail state. He does tell the dude "it's the only way."

Yeah, this is sorta what I figure. The success timeline essentially requires everyone to act as they would by default when put in that scenario, and knowing that would actually lead them to behave otherwise.

Especially when you take into account everyone he's explaining it to. Doctor Strange at that point is mostly surrounded by assholes convinced they know better. If he were explaining the plan in Wakanda he'd have been fine, most everyone there had their heads on straight.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

NtotheTC posted:

So does that mean that in zero timelines did Thor aim for the head? Or he aimed for the head and that doesn't work somehow?

Memento posted:

He would have never aimed for the head because he wanted to watch as he pushed his axed into Thanos' chest. His hubris was always going to cost them a clutch victory.

Also, look at it from the perspective of Strange; it doesn't really matter if Thor can do better, because they can't make Thor do better. He was on a different planet, with a bunch of people who have no way to loop him in on any plan. He can only tell that group what to do, so while there are probably more avenues to victory if given total control over their side of it, where they're standing he's only got one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I feel like Idiocracy is one of the 'yellow flag' favorite movies, too. There's legitimate things to enjoy in it, but you REALLY need to learn if someone's taking it in a eugenics direction or not.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Flying Circus is interesting to watch, because yes there's a lot of bits that haven't aged well, but there's also a lot that's still good, it just didn't 'stick' quite as well.

I've always liked the one episode they did that wasn't a sketch show, but instead a contained 'alien invasion' comedy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Jedit posted:

^^^ The black men who can only speak in jive stands out.

This was my guess, too. Which is a shame, because it's probably one of the best-constructed jokes in the whole movie (and if you look into behind-the-scenes stories it was absolutely a bit done with love, care and effort on all sides, which is kinda hilarious by itself), but there's no way to look at it now without it being racist.

The pilot constantly coming on to the little kid was probably an off note, too. ...And now that I've started thinking about the movie in this way, there's a lot of jokes in that movie that are such that, if you don't find the concept funny, just come off EXTREMELY weird and possibly offensive. My favorite part of that movie is a domestic argument about an abortion, and if you don't find the leadup to it funny (or miss the leadup in the first place) then that's just strange.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I love how many classic pieces of literature were written for the dorkiest possible reasons.

There's a fairly credible theory that Alice in Wonderland was written to satirize at-the-time new concepts in mathemetics. Which would make it essentially one big nerd-rage about something changing because he didn't like it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I don't know why I was watching it, but I was. I'm not spoiling this though, because... come on.

The Simpsons Movie takes a whole bunch of pride in fitting in little cameos and references to as much of the show's history as it can (my personal favorite is the ambulance crash still being at the Springfield Gorge), except that they go out of their way to ensure all of that only occurs in Springfield. To highlight the impact and isolation of the Simpsons being exiled, not one actual recurring character or detail appears outside Springfield, even when it would be a natural joke.

Also, the time bomb deployed to blow up Springfield is initially set to 15 minutes; this is actually synced up to the movie's remaining non-credits runtime, and the bomb counts down at a largely consistent rate even when it's off-screen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Not having Wolfcastle be the President helps with that 'no familiar faces outside Springfield' thing, even when none of the Simpsons actually meet him. It also frees them up for using Wolfcastle in the show later on without having to address that 'ordered the destruction of the town' thing.

Scorpio being the villain could've worked with minimal rewrites to the villain's character (or performance, it is still Albert Brooks), but it probably would have required a lot of rewrites for Homer. I could see that being unwanted for overcomplicating what's ultimately a very simple core conflict for the family.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I just want to know what Thanos thinks about all the innocent people that died because half of the universe turned to dust.

There's people who died on the operating table because the doctor got snapped. Aircraft that crashed because suddenly they didn't have a pilot (we see this one, like, immediately in Infinity War's post-credits). He quite clearly didn't just kill half the universe, he definitely killed far more just by nature of what he did. Does he care? Was the 50/50 thing actually important to him, or did he just decide 'eh, close enough good enough'?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Arcsquad12 posted:

You paid for Robert Downey Jr's face and body you can't hide that behind a suit of armor. It needs to be form fitting and we need to see his full head as much as possible. No more face cam footage or retractable helmet visors, we need full on dematerialization.

Yeah, this is definitely an evolution of the 'make the hero keep taking off their mask' thing. You want as much of the actual actor acting as possible, so coming up with ways to streamline away that transition between 'masked hero' and 'unmasked human' becomes paramount. I understand it even if I disagree on the grounds of preferring most costumes be as tangible as possible.

My journey through the Arrowverse has gotten me to their Crisis on Earth-X crossover, which has a similar thing going on. That Earth-X seems to really love its full facemasks that dematerialize with the press of a button so that we can get some face acting going on. It's probably also why Martian Manhunter kept deciding to be in his human form when he's actually on Mars, so David Harewood and Carl Lumbly can act without some heavy-duty makeup work and/or CGI.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:09 on May 2, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
It's not really a 'subtle movie moment', but one of my favorite facts about Who Framed Roger Rabbit is that to appease both companies, Disney and Looney Tunes characters needed to be on-screen for the exact same amount of time, down to the second. I've always thought that was an impressive feat of planning to pull off.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
It's a very rare case that an author will fully agree with an adaptation of their book, because by nature they're going to make different choices, and faithfulness to the original source material is often just going to make things harder on the filmmakers. Of the three examples I can think of that were actually liked by the original author, two of them--the Twilight and Harry Potter films--had the authors directly involved in the filmmaking process. The other was A Clockwork Orange, and the author of that only agreed years later that the movie had a better ending.

Something on this track that I find interesting about the movie Annihilation is that they made the specific choice to not re-read the book before adapting the film, just to ensure they weren't slave to adapting things that wouldn't work, and making sure that their movie was its own thing entirely (which is the right call, those books would be unfilmable). Annihilation's author hated it, naturally, but there's a couple of hints that show they did actually read the whole trilogy at one point; specifically there's a character motivation they include that doesn't come up until near the end of the third book.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Android Apocalypse posted:

IIRC Alex Garland claimed to only have read the 1st book, which is a convenient alibi in casting Natalie Portman instead of an Asian woman (also for Jennifer Jason Lee's role with a half-Native American) which was revealed in book 3.

Sadly I think even people who read the whole trilogy could probably be forgiven for not noticing the cast's diversity (in sexual orientations as well as race), because for the most part the books barely touch on it. The biologist's ethnicity in book 2 and the psychologist's in book 3 are both passed by in a single sentence, both of which with a little ambiguity (I actually read the biologist as half-black half-Asian, but I don't remember why). The curveball is that the biologist gives zero shits about any of that, so none of it's mentioned until the second book. The movie does think to bring in the fact that one expedition member is motivated by their cancer, though, which is only from book 3, that's what makes me think that someone there read them all.

It's related to why I think the books as-is would be unfilmable. Those books get away with a lot of ambiguity and understatement in just words, to their great benefit, but a film would have to put their foot down on and be definitive on a lot of that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Noel Fielding is an awful choice. He'd just gurn through the whole thing with his stupid twee nonsense. He's far too deliberately quirky. A lot of the fun of hitchhiker is how Ford and Zaphod just roll with the weirdness, because that's normal for them. Fielding would spend the whole time winking at the camera.

Mos Def I thought was legit great as Ford though. Absolutely inspired casting

I feel like you could have Noel Fielding play nearly every single alien outside of the central cast and we'd be fine, though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Lampsacus posted:

I remember wincing in cinema at that ending.
"I think we're going the wrong way. Isn't the restaurant at the other end of the universe?"

I actually liked that ending, because on one hand it's a cheap, simple gag, but if you actually know the Hitchhiker's Guide books there's extra meaning to it. Marvin doesn't actually say they're going the 'wrong way', but he does say that it's at the 'other end' of the universe. Which is right for describing their mistake; Milliways isn't at the spatial end of the universe, it's at the chronological end, so physically flying there doesn't do much.

In a movie full of poor attempts at matching or changing Adams' humor, that single sentence is one that I could feel actually got it right.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:01 on May 28, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

skooma512 posted:

Watching Spider-Man 2

I like how he could have his mask off in an NYC train and not get made. In 2004 fewer people just had a high resolution camera on them and there was no facial recognition or anything. He could just be some kid and that’s it.

It's similar to a part in the Justice League cartoon when Lex Luthor and The Flash swap bodies. Lex considers the silver lining to be that at least he gets to learn The Flash's real identity, only to take off the mask and go "...I have no idea who this is." Because of course he doesn't, how would Lex be able to recognize a random detective from Central City?

It's a conceit that sadly doesn't really work in the modern day. With modern cameras, social media and face recognition you need a reason for someone to not be identifiable (and most of those reasons are inherently suspicious), it's flipped from how it was.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

deoju posted:

HBO's Chernobyl is an awesome piece of story telling. If you haven't watched it, you should.

Anyway, this is subtle costuming detail.

I studied Russian language and lit in college. I had a lot of Russian professors and instructors, and met quite a few Russian expats. Also, I've also done some jewelry making, so I notice rings...

Russians* wear their wedding ring on their right ring finger. And they are always thin, plain, gold bands.** This is the first clear shot of one that I found, but it's the same throughout the series. Something like this could easily be overlooked by a westerner. poo poo, even a Russian costumer might not notice.

*I assume Belorussians and Ukrainians too, don't know for sure.
**My hunch is that is related to soviet era scarcity or precious metals and the fact that DeBeers couldn't advertise there. (Diamonds are a con, don't @ me.)

I desperately wish I could watch it just given all the great attention to detail I've heard described, but unfortunately it got snapped up in Australia by our main cable company, who suck.

My favorite thing I've heard, just because it's such a stunning thing to do with a movie set in a culture different to both the production and the audience, is that they have a character that's based specifically on how Russians characterize people from the country of Georgia (he's played by a Lebanese actor, because apparently he looks more like 'how Russians picture Georgians' than actual Georgians). That's such an insane level of effort to go to that the vast majority of the audience would never get.

Given how just a few days ago there was talk somewhere in PYF, I think the Idiots on Social Media thread, about how translations handle regional dialects, and this seemed like several steps above and beyond that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder if that's part of the lesson, too. (Don't fear death/let your weaknesses paralyse you) I also like the overarching theme that follows on from the first movie and especially the cartoon that Jumanji is alive and has a personality, and it is spiteful, cruel and likes to think it's teaching you a lesson. Especially given being a video game it's obliged to have protagonists with a level of competence and agency, but specifically makes them as unintuitive to the players as possible. The strong jock is made the weakest and has to learn to support and communicate with others, the preppy girl becomes Jack Black and has to use the brains she takes for granted, and the shy nerds have to be confident in their physicality and take initiative.

The reboot feels a lot more like a sequel to the cartoon than to the Robin Williams movie, in fact. The game even works in the same overall way as in the show, rather than the original movie.

I'm okay with that, I remember really liking that show.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Everybody Loves Raymond was never great, but it was consistently alright.

Basically, if you want a show that maintains a very standardized level of quality, you're going to unambitious sitcoms.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I'm not sure how subtle this actually is, but I only noticed it on a rewatch, so I'm counting it.

One of the early jokes in Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus is Dib, when trying to explain how he wants to get his father's approval by revealing Zim's an alien, breaks into a stunningly bad impression of his father. Gaz calls it 'the worst impression ever'.

Later, when he's preparing to reveal Zim to the world, he has a brief fantasy sequence of everyone adoring him for doing it, including his father... speaking in that same terrible voice Dib used in his impression. He's not just bad at impressions; he really does think his dad sounds like that.

After that, we get full scenes with an extremely poorly-made clone of Dib's dad... and he talks like that, too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Well how do you pronounce it?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

couldcareless posted:

Even better is that in the Jason Segel Muppets movie from a few years ago, the off brand Moopets' drummer was "Animool" and was played by Dave Grohl in a bad Animal costume.

The greatest cinematic achievement of the 2010s is that movie somehow not being completely garbage. All the odds were against it, and it somehow prevailed and was a really good movie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Didn't Robin Williams come back for the third Aladdin movie?

Yeah, and there's a whole story about that. Basically, Disney went back on a promise in his contract to not advertise the movie on 'and starring Robin Williams as the Genie', and he refused to work with them for a while after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyiBdccfNkg

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

PicklePants posted:

I think... it's all movies Tarantino directed, not movies Tarantino was in.

Yeah, I'm familiar with this theory too and it's his directed movies, not the other ones he's helped make (he wrote the screenplay for From Dusk Till Dawn, FYI).

But it's a theory that only really circulated after Inglorious Basterds, and Django Unchained naturally kinda threw it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I want everyone talking about fake names to know that I started watching Toast of London last night entirely because of it.

And WOW that show is good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

RandomFerret posted:

Shakespeare's wife was named Anne Hathaway, do people in this universe think that's weird?

...yes, actually, I had to google that and I'm still kinda suspicious.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

muscles like this! posted:

A fun subtle moment from the second episode of Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover is they introduce a new Superman played by Brandon Routh as the Donner movie version. Which shows up in a scene where he uses heat vision and they use a completely different older style than what they use for the CW Superman/Supergirl.

The Arrowverse is honestly hilarious about subtle bits of fanservice. I love that Crisis on Infinite Earths itself effectively kinda came from them pranking themselves from the past; The Flash has had a newspaper frontpage from the future as mainly a season 1 plot point, that had an off-handed reference to Crisis on Infinite Earths as one of the lesser headlines. They most likely never intended to actually do anything with that (they actually used the most famous Infinite Crisis Flash scene in season 2 anyway), but then the show just kept going so eventually they had to actually use it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
All of the participating shows have their previous seasons on U.S. Netflix (except for Batwoman, since this is their first season), so if you really want to watch some complete dumb bullshit, the other crossovers can all be watched in full. I heartily recommend Crisis on Earth-X, their second one, mostly for the sheer volume of cute little character bits they fit into that.

The first part of that crossover also kills off, of all people, The Greatest American Hero. That was a weird cameo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Olaf The Stout posted:

Do loving terrible things later happen to this gorilla?

Terrible things are always happening to Gorilla Grodd, don't worry.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

oldpainless posted:

How many times have you seen a lord of the rings movie?

You know, I know for a fact I've seen all three. But I neither remember when or where I saw Two Towers, or anything that happened in it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
So what you're all saying is that I can't do my sequel-reboot of Top Secret, then?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Len posted:

Pretty sure that was That 80's Show

Ironically given what he was saying, That 90's Show was actually a Simpsons episode.

It's one of the most widely loathed Simpsons episodes, the one that shifted the timeline of Homer and Marge's high school days to be in the 90s instead of the 70s.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I kinda feel like Conan O'Brien literally can't have some horrible skeleton in his closet, just because if he did we'd know by now. He's a very big, very weird-looking man, it seems like the 'hey, is that Conan over there' response alone would reveal anything he's doing in secret.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Really? I thought Luis' recaps were leftover from Wright's involvement.

Shows what I know.

Ant-Man is kinda weird there, because everything in it that looks like it was an awesome Edgar Wright idea just... wasn't even there in his, it came later.

The one that makes complete sense to me is that Hope was added post-Wright. If I had to raise an issue with him it's that he's not great about giving female characters spotlight. It's not that he does them poorly when he does write them, it's that they don't really seem to naturally occur to him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Inzombiac posted:

I tried to watch the live action Aladdin movie and it solidified something for me:

There's no point in a remake that says nothing new. The live action Disney movies are basically shot-for-shot and are worse for it. Plus they don't have the charm of animated movies because that would be nearly impossible. They're all trainwrecks and I suspect Mulan will be the same except to even better in the Chinese market.

The thing that was disappointing about Aladdin is that it's almost got something appealing and different going on, but it's too corporately-driven to actually use it. Will Smith's a pretty solid casting choice for the Genie, chiefly because he's absolutely NOT Robin Williams but still has his own ways to nail the balance between being comic relief while still being an actual non-joke character without it all falling over. If you want to make an entirely new, interesting alternative take on Aladdin, 'Will Smith as the Genie' is a REALLY good start.

But they never really give themselves enough creative room to make that casting choice work, it's still basically just Aladdin but with a slightly more feminist-friendly Jasmine, and very rarely you see a glimpse of a fun, interesting Fresh Prince Genie. Although that still puts it above the Lion King remake, because one squandered new idea is better than no new ideas at all.

EDIT: Also the Lion King remake basically cut Be Prepared, so that wins the 'worst Disney remake' award by default, in perpetuity. Nothing they can still do will be worse than cutting Be Prepared.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Feb 23, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

To save a click, it should be noted that the current wave that we're in of plumbing the, like, A-list Animated Disney Canon for remakes starts with The Jungle Book in 2016 (or possibly Maleficent in 2014 if you count it). There's some attempts before then that are basically just one-and-done experiments, but that's the point when they realize 'oh drat, this can work for us' and start going full-scale on it using the same framework. Since then, there's been either five or eight so far, depending on if you count 'same universe, not the same story'. Soon to be plus one either way with the Mulan remake coming in March.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Feb 23, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Their 2010 live action Alice in Wonderland movie made over a billion dollars and had a big budget sequel

Yes, but that's a bit like saying the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies were part of the MCU. It was definitely a success for them, and might've seeded what came later, but it was before they really got a good repeatable formula going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

The best thing the Arrowverse did was cast Kevin Conroy as Kingdom Come's Batman, thereby making absolute certain that you can never discount him because of some dumb rule like 'wasn't in live action'.