Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Speaking of Fight Club, Tyler Durden appears a few times before he shows up as a character, mostly in single-frame inserts during the first third or so. He's also in one of the scenes of the narrator at the airport, right when the voiceover says, "Could you wake up as a different person?"

Just checked the imdb trivia page to make sure I got that right and remembered how much more stuff there was that pointed to Tyler being the narrator: members of Fight Club look at the narrator when they're talking to Tyler, after the car crash the narrator, who had been in the passenger seat, is pulled from the driver's side, a lot of little nods like that.

I remember reading something about Kill Bill. If you look closely at background characters, you realize it takes place in a world where it's commonplace to carry a katana. Not only are they not banned on planes, the seats have sword holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Another Shaun of the Dead one that's easy to miss is when Shaun and Ed go through various ideas of how to deal with their situation. Each variation includes killing his step-dad, but every time they repeat that part, Shaun gets a little more casual about it. He starts out with a tearful "I'm so sorry" and by the final iteration it's down to an almost cheerful "sorry!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just saw The Prestige yesterday. Where do I even begin.

There are a lot of obvious clues to the ending revelation. Most of them are obvious, like all that talk about working with a double, the bird trick, "some days it's true", but one of the more subtle ones is that whenever Angier asks Borden which knot he tied, he replies he doesn't know. Presumably whichever brother Angier happened to ask on both occasions wasn't the one on stage that night.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just remembered one from Galaxy Quest. Alexander Dane is the movie's Leonard Nimoy stand-in - an ambitious actor who's best and often only remembered for playing an alien in a science fiction show, and who loathes it but he's stuck with it and has to sit out countless conventions, repeating the same sickening catch phrase and wearing the same uniform and make-up prosthetics. Only instead of Spock's ears he has those sort of fins on his head.

He never takes those off during the whole movie. Not even when he's at home - the most we get is seeing his hair poke out from under the edges. He's seriously unable to shake that role.

I haven't seen it in years, I bet I'm actually misremembering that :ohdear:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah we had a bunch of Shaun of the Dead stuff in this thread a while back. I liked how each version of their plan involves killing Shaun's stepdad, and with each iteration they go through Shaun goes from a tearful "I'm so sorry" to a casual "sorry!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I saw Cloud Atlas yesterday, and I don't have any subtle moments, but with that premise I really feel like I should. Anyone more observant got something? There were of course lots of little callbacks to previous eras but they always made a point to draw attention to those.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A much better question would be why does he need a HUD at all? Presumably his brain would be designed to register and process that kind of information directly, rather than require an interface with a human sense.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Robocop was also built around a human brain and I think still had Murphy's eyes, so a HUD isn't entirely implausible. But I actually like that explanation because then that scene in Terminator 1 where the T-800 tells the hotel guy to go gently caress himself means that at some point during military terminator design and production, some team was tasked with developing a Give Smartass Answers subroutine and a way to visually verify it worked correctly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I always thought the point of it was that Shoshanna had been hiding on a milk farm and, presumably, isn't keen on dairy products anymore even apart from what you said. But that's very interesting and gives the scene a whole new spin. Good catch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I haven't seen that movie in forever, but how would a caveman be familiar with the story of Adam and Eve?
I think the implication is that he himself is Adam, which is something I never did catch on to despite having seen that movie many times but then I was 12 and in the field of appreciation for cinematic art, discovering theological implications took a backseat to seeing a dude make cave paintings in a suburban living room.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Preemptive subtle moment for The World's End: the list of pubs on the teaser poster outlines the plot of the movie.

Let's come back here in a few months and see if I'm not right.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Still right :colbert:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Commitment, okay, but I also imagine the sort of complaint e-mails you get when you get something wrong on the Pokemon show is nothing short of astounding.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think that might have been me. I've rewatched it since - I was actually afraid I'd made a mistake until they did show up, you really have to look very closely and it's in something like one brief transition scene.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ninja Gamer posted:

Is Tim Russ's line in Space Balls just as funny in foreign dubs?
If you're watching it as a kid with no grasp of English, hell yes (you're probably still giggling your rear end off at the visual gag anyway). If you know the original, "there isn't even poo poo here, sir" leaves something to be desired.

No local slang in the German version, then. I'd like to think it's because they realized there's really no equivalent but more likely they knocked out the dub on a budget and between two other translation jobs the same week.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Or Knox is a moron. I believe there's more supporting evidence for that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm slightly late for Watchmen chat but the changed ending misses a large part of Ozymandias' character, namely that he's modelled himself to a great extent after Alexander the Great and considers the world's political climate his personal Gordian Knot to solve. Using Dr. Manhattan to do that is like if Alexander had solved the knot by looking carefully at it and finding just the right spot to loosen. Actually it misses a big point of the whole story in that all the superheroes in the world can't keep the world from becoming hosed enough that it takes an incredibly radical approach.

Also, re "how would it work long term", it's pretty heavily implied by the last scene and Dr. Manhattan's departing words that it very well might not.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If anything I feel like the violence should have been sped-up. Show us the bloody aftermath and the horrific carnage these guys do, but the focus shouldn't be on the act, because the characters don't focus on the act. Nite Owl doesn't need slow mo speed-ramping when he shatters a dude's ulna, because for him it's not a big deal.

Edit: Actually, maybe for Nite Owl it is a big deal (:flaccid:) but not for anybody else.
Nite Owl doesn't even beat up very many people in the comic to begin with. Neither does Laurie. I think the only time is in one of the first issues when they get accosted by a gang of knot-tops and they're both winded all to hell afterwards, although that scene also does make it clear that it's indeed a big deal (:flaccid:) for both of them. If I remember correctly that's another point the movie missed. There the brutal slo-mo violence is just brutal slo-mo violence without any impure thoughts, nicely separate, and there's plenty of that in the comic as well but if you make that into a movie Dan and Laurie are entirely the wrong characters to represent that if you have Rorschach and the Comedian running around.

e: vvv yeah, there is that and other things - it's not so much that Dan never becomes violent, just that he usually doesn't, certainly not as readily as his friends.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 07:55 on Aug 27, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wow that is an amazingly terrible version of a really important scene. Kind of my point exactly, too. Comic Dan yells at the guy and grabs him but when it comes to physical revenge his thoughts are with the airship and its firepower rather than immediate physical violence against an innocent guy. Movie Dan is no different from Rorschach here. Loving closeups on broken teeth hmm yes the essence of Watchmen right there.

Uploader's comment how the scene was badass and they should have cut the sex scene instead is pretty priceless too (they should have though).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ask Anthony Burgess how he feels about Kubrick's film adaptations sometime. I'm sure your ouija board would get worn out around the letters C, F, K and U pretty quickly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He didn't read the original edition until he had almost finished the screenplay, but considered the final chapter unconvincing and inconsistent with the rest of the book so didn't consider using it.

Wikipedia tells me that Burgess was actually appreciative of the film, if concerned about the lack of the final chapter but blamed that on the US publisher, not Kubrick. But then he did write a stage adaptation of the book in which during the final scene a bearded man comes on, plays a few bars of Singing in the Rain on the trumpet and promptly gets kicked off stage so I dunno.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm sure these from The World's End have been mentioned but I only saw it recently.

I thought about at what point Oliver got assimilated afterwards and realized it must have been when he went to the loo in one pub, and then realized that pub was The Trusty Servant, but because Edgar Wright must have known everyone in the audience would be looking for the plot connection in each pub's name, he set the whole thing about the Reverend Green in there to distract from what the real relevance was. I like that a lot.

The headset Oliver wears is a bit of foreshadowing that he's going to be assimilated - he's the one member of the group who's already plugged into the Network all the time. But also, although this one might be reaching a bit, there's his birthmark. There's an idea around conspiracy theorists that some variety of modern technology - mostly RFID chips - is the mark of the beast mentioned in the book of Revelations and a sign of the end times, which already ties in with the Network providing humanity's technology, but also the number of the beast is of course 666, and Oliver's birthmark is shaped like a 6. And I'm in no position to check but I have a hunch that it might be prominently on screen three times throughout the movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CoolZidane posted:

[World's End] The Trusty Servant is also the 6th pub.
Oh poo poo, that is subtle if it's intended. I could only recall when you see it in the intro scene right at the start and then later when they reveal him to be a blank.

Also thought of another one just now regarding his connection to the Network: not only is he wearing the headset, he's also using internet abbreviations in real life. WTF indeed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was wondering how they got to "O-man" from a 6, that's for sure, but then these are the same guys who started with Shakespeare and ended up with "let's Boo-Boo".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Speaking of names, that's a pretty good one for a teacher. Also for a blank who tries to convince them to submit peacefully, of course.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just looked up The Strangers on wikipedia and it seems hard to be surprised by a scene that is on the poster.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Ian McShane was an absolutely inspired choice for that role. He manages to play an aggressive and threatening mastermind with such amazing subtlety.
You should watch Sexy Beast!

Anyone should, really.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's also a pretty lovely change from the theme of the short story which is basically "terrible and incomprehensible things happen to average people for no reason."

Not saying that's not the theme of every Stephen King short story, just as far as horror goes that seems to do the trick more than "the rear end in a top hat gets killed."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently he held up the filming of Gilliam's Brazil for weeks
I bet Gilliam would be overjoyed if the only reason his filming ever got held up was "actors are getting into character."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's not subtle but drat that is a fantastic sight gag at the end of that clip. The little pause before he breaks out the device makes it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fumaofthelake posted:

B: When Dana's eggs are frying on the counter at the beginning of the movie, there's a bag of Stay Puft right next to them. I hesitate to call it subtle, but I also didn't notice it until about 45 seconds ago.
There's also a brief shot somewhere of a seriously faded Stay Puft ad painted on the side of a building. The only elements that establish Stay Puft as a brand are pretty easy to miss, really.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neo Helbeast posted:

In the Mothman Prophecy, Cline gets a wake up call he didn't order at his hotel and the person says "This is your one wake up call". It's Indrid Cole giving him one chance to walk away from it all.
Goddamn Mothman Prophecy. I felt nervous going outside in the dark for a week after I saw that. Especially around the train tracks where they had the red signal lights. Went around to all my friends saying they absolutely had to see it, and they did and just asked me wtf my deal was. :smith:

Does the whole thing it has going on with the y-shape and the red lights count as subtle movie moments?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can see a case for removing both though the Robin scene slightly more so.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Django spent his life as a slave, of course he knows how to play along with poo poo and keep his head down. Schultz is a free white man and has never had to do that. No wonder Django comes out on top when it comes to dealing with a slave owner.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

jabby posted:

The ending still makes sense. In fact given the more limited scope of the movie it makes more sense than using the comic-book ending, which would have come completely out of left field and seemed a lot less believable.
That's entirely the point of it though. Something that comes out of nowhere and shocks everyone into reassessing the global situation as fast as possible. Using Dr. Manhattan makes little sense because he's already a known quantity to the entire world and governments on both sides have to have contingencies for everything he's possibly capable of doing.

It was just as out of left field in the book, really. The advantage the book has is you can put it down, say "what the gently caress", go back and review the clues, and then pick up again, whereas the film continues to run, but I'm sure you could pull it off if you wanted to.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wasn't Terry Gilliam attached to it at one point? I'll be honest, love the guy, but he's not the first name that pops in when I think Watchmen; all the same I'm sure he'd have done a great job.

Should have been a large budget TV show anyway.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Taking the Watchmen license and using it to reskin an unrelated production about the current state of superhero movies would have been a goddamn stroke of genius, but I can't think of a single writer or director that could have pulled it off.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Joking aside I've more than once watched Tim Burton's Batman and thought, if you watched this and somehow knew nothing at all about Batman, how long would it take you to figure out?

e: I suppose also if you suffered from inability to recognize Michael Keaton

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think the books didn't even establish Lecter as Lithuanian, or any nationality, until Hannibal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Crowetron posted:

They legit wanted to tell a dark dramatic story starring a wookie, and George Lucas, king of the gleep glop aliens saying "poodo", told them they would probably want a protagonist who could speak. Behind the scenes stuff on The Force Unleashed is kinda amazing, honestly.
I'm imagining The Force Unleashed, but with Saints Row 3's zombie voice set.