Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
There is! German forces invaded North Africa in 1941 and were eventually pushed out towards the end of 1942. The campaign was essentially a failure as they were weakened by long supply lines and a well-stocked British army.

:goonsay:

Content: In World War Z there's a (lite spoilers)POW in South Korea who says North Koreans have repelled the zombies because the government ripped out the population's teeth to prevent them from chomping on people. The POW's teeth have also been ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

VoidBurger posted:

The Ancient Gods are us, the corporation is Hollywood. Hollywood uses a library dumb horror tropes to entertain and appease us in the same way the mysterious company has a zoo of monsters to unleash on their stereotypical victims, in order to appease the gods. The company even forced those characters into roles they don't actually fit into, by chemically altering them and their environment, which is examining how dumb the stereotypes are in the first place. (The Fool is the smartest person in the movie, the Athlete has a scholarship, the Scholar is the new athlete, the Whore is in a committed relationship, and the Virgin isn't a virgin.)

It's kinda hard not to make commentary on that stuff without including that stuff in the movie, though. I'm curious how else would it be done? How can you subvert something without mentioning it or showing it being subverted?

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Exactly, this guy gets it.

My favorite part of the film is when the football player drives the motorcycle into the invisible wall.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

VoidBurger posted:

That was why it was funny, to hear the heroic music swell when we all knew he didn't have a chance. :suicide: It is a comedy movie.

Exactly, this person gets it.

I also like that there's an intern which speaks to how corporate the organization is. Hope that dude was getting college credit.

That purge sequence is perfect with netflix, just pause and rewatch to check out all of the monitors.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Okay, after this movie, we have to deconstruct/find disappointing another film. I suggest Inception.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Rick Moranis' character is great. He's really in love with this woman but is totally cool with rejection and even says she should bring her date to his party. He hosts a badass party with a great budget. And, when this hot chicks about to leave he tells her not to go and instead they should dance. Then they do. Even when he hears a horrible hellbeast from his bedroom, his response is "Okay guys, who brought the dog" and grins really big. Dude's not even pissed, let's the party keep rolling.

Also he lures the beast away from his apartment to prevent it from terrorizing his party guests.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

umalt posted:

drat straight, you can't make a professional properly gently caress up on purpose; that's why you strap an actor into a rocket for days and see if he can even say his lines in english, let alone properly. :colbert:

Rumor is that it actually took him seven takes to actually be able to say anything other than, "HOLY poo poo I'M ON THE GODDAMN MOON!"

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Professor Shark posted:

I watched the HD version of 2001, and noticed that in the scene where Dave blasts his way back into the ship, once he's successfully gotten the outer door shut he has a triumphant smile on his face. The camera then immediately cuts back to HAL and lingers.

Also, and this is unconfirmed, I read that when Frank and HAL are playing chess HAL tells Frank that he's lost in two or three moves and calls them incorrectly, which Frank nods and submits to. I'll check it out next time I watch to confirm.

Please actually do that thing about chess, because I do not know enough about chess to know if that's right either. And also now I really want to watch that movie again.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
No, they're just talking about bees you see.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Didn't that thing get used against badman tho?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
please use spoilers tia

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm watching the long extended director's cut version and it's a lot better than the theater version. Has the pirate comics as an animated segment breaking up the main story.

E. A good moment is when Rorschach is captured the cops are all wailing on him in the street. They don't really approach him one by one, they gang up on him.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a great little touch.

that's some clever posting

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Good thing it's not real money

OR

a joke about how cabbies get super fat

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Criterion has its own streaming platform now. It doesn’t have all of their collection tho. It had Stalker tho

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Hi, I just watched Alita and enjoyed the parts that felt like I was watching a Mega Man movie

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Ariel is only wearing a bra for half of the movie

I’m body positive; positive that filthy body should have been covered up!

Her world is a nudist colony that shames mammal tits only (and only on women!!)
hosed up

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
This is about the boss baby sequel

The villain runs a private school but is actually a very smart baby

He is constantly depicted eating sugary snacks

At first I thought it was just a joke about kids liking candy

And then the movie reveals his master plan to overthrow parents’ tyranny. It’s implied that his parents didn’t let him eat junk food. His candy eating is a reflection of his rebellion and also what leads to his downfall. If he had listened to them in the first place he wouldn’t have lost.

That’s the only subtle thing about the movie.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
lol I had that same job and that same experience

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Guitar Man was a nice song, you go to hell!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's a fun little moment in "The Truman Show" that can be read one of two ways, both of which fit this thread.

Ed Harris's director/producer character Christoff re-introduced Truman's "dad" to the show in an effort to get Truman to stop trying to leave/break out/find out what is going on.

An interviewing is talking with him about this, and asks how they'll explain where his dad was for 20+ years, and Christoff answers "Amnesia" and the interviewer responds (paraphrasing),
"Oh, brilliant."

The first way to interpret this is that the interviewing is just slobberin' the ol' Christoff knob. He is constantly referred to as a genius, amazing artist, etc... so even if he comes up wit some hackneyed, daytime TV-esque reason like "Amnesia" everyone acts like he's the first person to think of that.

Or, the more subtle way to read that, is that there IS no more regular daytime-TV/soap operas. The Truman Show is the #1 show in the world, but it airs (essentially) 24 hours a day, and some of the "prime" material would be mid-day, presumably. So there's a good chance, since it's been airing since the late 60's, that regular soap operas just don't exist anymore, and a lot of the "wackier" plots they had (which tended to include things like amnesia) never wormed their way into the psyche as such a cliche, so in a way, Christoff really IS a genius to think of it.

It’s one of my favorite alt realities

I like the implication that the news regularly reports on the Truman show

Like all media is centered around this one television show

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The ending always felt like a saccharine cop out

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Was Doyle insane?

“How did he escape those bonds?!”

“I did it like this”

“Impossible, must have been the devil’s pepper you conjured”

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Please meet my child Mourning Sun

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

HelleSpud posted:

Magnus Nolan... James (20 Months Old)

drat nepo babies

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

flatluigi posted:

to be fair, most of the time King's characters are not really in a position to just ignore whatever's happening around/to them and look at it academically

The Outsider was enjoyable for that.

E. I don’t actually like much of what happens post the Coach’s death besides all the small town emotional drama. I like the idea that the Sheriff encountered the impossible and has to live with the consequences of using logic against it.

N. Senada has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
King knows people who use subtext, and he thinks they’re cowards