Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I prefer Raiders over Last Crusade, but I like Crystal Skull more than Temple of Doom. I would rather never see Crystal Skull or Temple of Doom again, but if forced to choose, Crystal Skull is the better one to riff on, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

peer posted:

The aliens were fine as long as they were just long-dead skeletons but when one came back to life I wanted to punch lucas & spielberg

edit: "native americans used to worship creatures that might have been aliens" is a lot easier to swallow than "oh and their skeletons merged or something and one came back to life and now it flies off in a UFO"

Did one come back to life or was it just "angry psychic ghosts who didn't want to leave without all of their skulls and who popped the head of the crazy lady that tried to boss them around"? I haven't seen the movie since it first came out, so I could be horribly wrong.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There was no part 3. Just two movies and a bad fever dream I once suffered. That's the only way I can explain someone turning The Neverending Story into live action Loony Toons without the humor.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nah, can't be Squirrel Girl, she hasn't punked Dr Doom yet.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I never gave it much thought, but I think my favorite movie has to be Transformers: The Movie. I know it's a feature-film length toy commercial, meant to wipe the slate of the original Transformers to push the new toys coming out, but it's still a solid movie. Plus its infinitely more watchable than any of the Michael Bay Transformer films.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

minato posted:

The best part of that documentary ("My Stunts") is where Jackie explains the use of a special shoe to prevent injuries. He proceeds to kick a fellow stuntman off a high ledge onto a set of pipes, resulting in the guy taking a nasty-looking fall.

"Look," says Jackie, pointing to his special shoe. "It didn't hurt."

I wonder what the breakdown of stunt-related injuries are, comparing, say, someone throwing punches and kicks and breaking something in their hand/foot vs falling onto pipes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I saw some lovely article about how "hey guys, It doesn't have to end with chapter 2, just look at the Conjuring cinematic universe and" and I died a little

It was a good adaptation and I've got high hopes for the second one. If they used It's success to kick off a "King-verse", I wouldn't mind it. Unless you're talking about "spin off as many movies tying in to Pennywise as you can"... no, just no. Partially because that means Dreamcatcher would have to be adapted, and that book was just poo poo.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Don't you mean 're-adapted'? Or did I miss some part of the conversation?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285531/

Or was that :thejoke:?

I forgot Dreamcatcher was a movie already.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

To be fair, Golden (silver?) age Superman had all kinds of weirdass powers so if you went back far enough I wouldnt be surprised if he has wall repairing vision in his playbook.

Uh, excuse me, Golden Age Superman would just use his heat vision to melt the wall around the damage, melting it to cover the hole.
:goonsay:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Could also be a system that's controlled by Soundwave. He has been a satellite in at least one incarnation, and he does have a habit of hacking information systems. But that does seem like one of the most unnecessary crossovers (GI Joe vs Terminator though...)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Eating a mermaid will make you immortal, and then you are above all the humans and can eat whoever you want.

Doesn't that run a high chance of you dying horribly though? I blame the mercury myself.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

You gotta YouTube it. Kristen Schall has to be heard

I'd second her for Squirrel Girl.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Phantom of the Paradise is a better musical than Rocky Horror Picture Show and there's exactly one city we can probably thank for it lasting long enough to pick up a cult following.

One "small" detail that I'm sad they had to change was that the Swan's Death Records was originally Swan Song Records, but because Led Zeppelin's label was called Swan Song Records. Hence the really obvious job of covering up the record labels with the dead bird picture.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

No idea for Phantom of Winnipeg (I want to see it myself). Thankfully Shout Factory released Phantom of the Paradise on Bluray a few years back and that can still be found on amazon fairly easily. I have an LP copy of the album from my dad's collection after he passed away, part of me wants to frame it because it's probably the closest I'll come to getting the movie poster.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

When did they retcon Weyland-Yutani to "The corporation has always known about Xenomorphs and always wanted to try to tame the untameable killing machines for fun and profit stupid-rear end unexplained reasons? Was that just the AvP movies or did it happen earlier and I just blissfully forgot?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Going full sci-fi with Dimension X probably would break the budget.

It is fun how you can do pretty much literally anything with TMNT. They can fight ninjas, robots, aliens, dinosaurs, Dracula, superheroes, ghosts, other mutants, and any combination of the above.

At least they didn't try to bring in the giant floating cow's head that was also an interdimensional portal.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

jazzyjay posted:

He wasn't always a 4d chess master though. As other posters said, he made millions from real estate before even getting into movies, but he also lost heaps when he heard the Concorde was going to start flying to LA and he bought up heaps of vacant land wherever he thought they might build a new airport with runways long enough for a supersonic airliner.

I mean, the worst case scenario in that situation is still "I have a crapton of land in LA", which isn't the worst way a business venture failed.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My wife bought the recent Are You Afraid Of The Dark movie/miniseries (the one from 2018, not the 2020 sequel) and it's... surprisingly not bad. Most of the actors were good (barring the main character's mother. Good lord I have never seen someone so thirsty before), the effects looked mostly practical and were well done, and the plot wasn't bad. It also had some nice uses of modern cellphones that I don't think had come up before in horror movies.

There is one nice touch that I'm not sure was intentional or not: When Bartholomew, Mr Tophat's right-hand man, meets the kids in part 3 and tells them how to kill Mr Tophat, he mentions to be careful of the clowns, one short and one tall. He tells them that one is blind, the other deaf... except that they were in part 2, and neither one was blind or deaf. I don't know if it was intentional, but a nice bit of foreshadowing that Bartholomew was lying to the kids all along.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PLEASE tell me that the family dog is just Ozzy Osbourne in a dog costume who just randomly goes "woof woof" through the movie.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The reviews aren't very good. Every 3rd review site is jumping on the chance to say "They called it unfilmable. They were right."

I think it would have been a good setting for an anthology series set over the 500? years the Foundation books were set, but that's more because you could make a point of showing settings decay over that time while having the changes be more believable.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Crowetron posted:

A little gag in Beetlejuice I never noticed before: when Alec Baldwin reads to draw a door in the Undead Handbook, he does it and then has to flip two pages ahead to get to the part where it tells him to knock three times. The massive, byzantine handbook spends two pages describing how to draw a rectangle with a circle in it.

Hey, you try existing from a time where convex and concave meant the same thing, where length, height and width are suggestions rather than absolutes, and where buildings cause headaches when looked at in the third dimension, and then try drawing "two long equal lines with two shorter equal lines connecting them, one at the top and one at the bottom."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

Yeah, you're just in time for the announcement of a Winnie the Pooh slasher movie.

You know what's disturbing about that? A few years back, when Disney started pushing their Duffy Bear heavily, my wife and I started joking about if Winnie the Pooh would turn into a slasher villain over that. Come on loveable pooh turned psycho...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Dylan McDermott and Dermot Mulroney was one for me for a while, but I never got the persons themselves confused, just the names.

Same for me, but it was Steve Martin and Martin Short when talking about Only Murders in the Building.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

The scene wasn't as much deleted as replaced with a shorter version. The Connors ask Arnie if he can learn to act more human, but instead of explaining that he can but Skynet turns the facility off by default he just says "yes".

It's a shame, because the actual scene they cut out makes the ending a lot more impactful. Plus it was just a really well-done scene and does a good job of explaining why he hadn't been adapting before that outside of "Well, no one asked him to learn".

For what it's worth, I prefer The Terminator over T2, but I also refuse to watch the theatrical edition and watch the extender version instead, so my issues with T2 are kinda on me (it drags on a bit, and has too many chase scenes).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, the ending of T3 was also a point in its favor, in a bleak "You're a living paradox if Skynet doesn't invent time travel, John. Of course everyone dies" sort of way.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, he only kills one person to get the clothing at the start of The Terminator and the sunglasses could be argued to be part of the "Infiltrator" part of the programming. I mean, to hear people talk about them, it sounds like the T-800 just murders every human it comes across in The Terminator while giving lollipops and headpats in T2. He still fucks people up getting the clothing in T2, he just doesn't murder someone while doing so.

The music was a bit silly but you're also talking early-90's where movies (and sequels especially) tended to bit a bit more light-hearted in tone.

Randalor has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Mar 7, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Okay, there is one other thing I enjoy about T3. In the original movie, Reese describes Skynet as basically going "Day 1: Become self-aware. Day 2: Kill all humans" (I mean, it's not wrong, but still). In T3, it's heavily implied-if-not-outright-stated that Skynet had already become self-aware long before the movie started, it had to manipulate people into giving it the keys to the kingdom, so to speak.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, part of the actual lyrics for Bad to the Bone are

"I wanna be yours, pretty baby
Yours and yours alone"

So you could argue that the actual lyrics is hinting that the T-800 isn't the actual bad guy this time around.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Doesn't he not blink in any of the shots? Or is that some old wive's tale?

He does blink once or twice (and I mean that literally) but the one time I noticed him blink, it was because it was a weird rapid-double-blink thing, so it still looked unnatural.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Surely there's enough heroes running around to justify introducing the Night Nurse into the MCU.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is anyone else now imagining Hugh Grant playing wolverine?

The Black Adder guy? A bit tall for that, isn't he?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Mine is currently fused to my leg because wind exists outside.

You... uh... did you happen to get yours from an abandoned Antartic research post?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Listen, if Jack Nicholson didn't want to be fired, he should have acted like a tired, deranged lunatic who was fed up with having to do multiple takes the first time. Instead he shot the scene exactly as scripted and rehearsed, so I just had to let him go!" -Stanley Kubrick on The Shining, according to that person.

How many iconic scenes in film history are a result of people loving up a scene and it turning out better than the scripted scene? Hell, look at psychos like Kubrick and Hitchcock who would inflict multiple reshoots on their actors BECAUSE it would lead to fuckups like that?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Torquemada posted:

Ermey, while he did a fine job, basically backstabbed the guy who'd already been cast as the gunney sergeant to get the part. That guy elended up playing the 'GET SOME' door gunner.

I mean, considering Emery's "performance", if I were the other guy, I would give him the role, because Emery is very scary and loud oh god please stop yelling at me siryessir Emery did a phenomenal job, and certainly no other reasons. Nope.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Annabel Pee posted:

It’s a weird line to be fair that doesn’t really seem like it fits the movie when you think about it. I knew it as a Shining reference before I’d even watched the film without knowing it was a reference to something else.

It's one of those things that works better over time the further you get from the original reference. At the time, Jack's making an odd reference to Carson. Nowadays, he just comes off as having gone fully into insanity.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

It sucks that The Muppets resurgence from the Jason Segal movie petered out. Not that I want to see Disney do to the Muppets what it did to Star Wars, but I still want more Muppets.

On that note, can we have Muppet Star Wars? Gonzo as Luke, Sam the Eagle as Moff Tarkin, Fozzie as Chewie, Kermit as Obi-Wan, Miss Piggy as Darth Vader (because Miss Piggy as Leia is basically already just Leia), Camilla the chicken as Leia...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maybe we need to go the other way. Remake Muppet remakes without Muppets.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Muppets Hostel

It's just remakes of the old Wilkins Coffee commercials

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Goons apparently love movies where important events happen to important characters off screen but “somehow palpatine returned” sucks

Smdh

Well, it all depends on what you consider to be important. Someone coming back from the dead? Pretty important. Someone with a replacement arm that is never commented on or even drawn attention to? Probably not as important. It's not important enough to factor into the plot in any way, at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Rick and Morty recently experimented with the Pet Sematary to try and figure out its parameters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PP5J17olSE
Even further related to King, they buried a car in the Pet Sematary so I guess it'd come back as an evil car (but we don't see how that turned out)

The part that everyone always seems to get wrong with Pet Sematary was that the area that brought back the dead wasn't the cemetery, but deeper into the woods. The cemetery was just a morbidly cutesy way that kids dealt with the grief of their pets dying.

And I'll admit, considering how R&M treated the Needful Things parody back in season 1, I was expecting another "Rick is super smart and totally owns the devil!" and not... well, them just trying random poo poo to see what happens. Those were some decent ideas to try out.