Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That part is a clear Golden Fleece reference. Have you seen that man’s chest hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I thought it was about computer dudes doing sweet flips and whatnot. Though that does make an interesting comparison as everyone’s favorite dick pill is colloquially referred to as “the little blue pill”.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

There’s also a Lincoln Kennedy Clone High movie in there as well and now I’m SUPER bummed that will never be a thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

As someone who has only seen the movie via cultural osmosis, the last page or two has been pretty surreal.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

In the movie Top Gun, the copilot character is named Goose. This is a subtle nod to the bird of the same name as it can fly and has a noodle-ly neck which seems like it might be on the flimsy side.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

A Goofy Movie is named after the main character, but also serves as a good descriptor of the contents of the film.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

eating only apples posted:

I'd never heard of this show and looked up the whole episode and boy fuckin howdy that does not let up after the one-take bit ends. Jesus christ.

Jesus Christ is right. My back is tensed up all to hell from that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Warbird has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Apr 28, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

His stormtrooper name was JB-007, too.

That would have been great, but it sadly doesn’t seem to be the case. Here’s hoping they Lucas it and retcon.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I mean, the posters are pretty explicit.

They Live is a fantastic movie, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was overripe for a remake. The zeitgeist is primed.

Wouldn’t Society be a bit more apt? They’d need to work in some wrasslers though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Tom Cruise was selected as the lead for Top Gun due to unique characteristics he shared with Navy pilots. Namely that he’s short as hell, eats crayons, and is illiterate. What is not generally know is that these qualities are unique to Marine pilots and no one noticed the mistake until production had already started. By then it was too costly to make the needed changes and the movie moved forward as originally planned.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Are marine pilots also really comfortable with innuendo? I’m watching the documentary (yes I know it isn’t) Generation Kill and those marines can take or leave it. Although it’s set two decades later.

The folks in GK were actors playing marines. Your average grunt will not be concerned with innuendo as they can not grasp the subject. They simply will chomp away at any presented examples of Crayola for substance. It’s one of the first things they test for in the corps. Individuals that pause are usually identified as officer candidates as they are more able to allocate resources without eating them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

One of them at least was an actual marine and I believe he was acting as a consultant? I assume he demonstrated how to properly eat crayons the USMC way

Did he put them up his nose?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

freeedr posted:

What does it mean to chew the scenery?

Please refer to this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Warbird
May 23, 2012

XIII posted:

I mostly respect Tom Cruise's willingness to throw himself out of as many airplanes as it takes to convince the world that he can read.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Imagine still being mad about Random Access Memories in 2020

Were people pissed about it? I picked it up when it came out and really enjoyed the whole funk angle they were going for. OP is correct the Contact is the best song on the album, but I will entertain dissent there.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's kinda hard to say any detail is subtle about a movie franchise that involves the pope blessing a hit that was taken out, though. (Deleted scene in JW2)

Why the hell would they take that out? That’s sick af.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Aeronautical Insanity thread loves talking about this stuff if any of you want to learn more than you would ever want to about planes and the idiots named Jerry that fly them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Here's a fun little Christmas detail. During the Jim Carey iteration of The Grinch, the Whos are shown having a wild Christmas party during the origin reveal scene. Notably there is a quick cut showing a large amount of keys being deposited in a bowl...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Should I watch season 1 of Westworld or heist read a synopsis of the series?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

“The dogs are in the enclosed pool area” was one of the messages Chris Benoit sent out to a friend during the murder-suicide.

Wow. I was thinking it was a "dump the bodies in the hog pen to dispose of the evidence" sort of thing, but that's somehow even darker.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I got around to watching that new Chip n Dale movie. If you shut off the parts of your brain screaming about nostalgia cash ins and “Jesus gently caress the state of media IP ownership is dire” it’s a really fun little ride with tons of little nods and gags in the background.

One thing I’d love to know is if Movie Sonic was intended to be there the whole time or if it was a sub in for another character. It’s been long enough since the first movie that the timelines likely line up but it seems like it would be pretty close to get that planned and implemented.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Huh, that explains the ear gag a bit more then. I’m not sure if I would have preferred that or what they ended up going with.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I mean that’s kind of the one of the core points of the movie and is the villain’s core motivation so may as well go hard in the paint.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Zebulon posted:

They released storyboards that show at one point at least they'd considered Jar Jar Binks for the Ugly Sonic role.

That would have been a better call imo. US is a interesting get but that cultural inflection point is already fading away (though I suspect that’s the point). Fukkin JarJar is eternal.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

In Top Gun: Maverick noted illiterate Thomas Cruise flies an aircraft called a “Hornet”. This is actually based on an aircraft of the same name flown by the real world US Navy (the organization the one in the movie is based off of).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’m Top Gun: Maverick: Thom Cruize is chastised for frequently breaking the rules and not following orders over the course of his career in the Army Air Corps. This is a clever nod to his real world inspiration, Tom Cruise, not being able to read. How can you follow orders if you don’t know what they are?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

BooDooBoo posted:

Ghostwatch was clearly presented as fiction, after 9pm, which is the time UK TV is legally not for kids.

They announced very clearly it was fiction at the start, they put a "Screen One" ident at the start so people knew it was a BBC movie, and the credits included a writers credit.

Despite this the BBC received 30,000 complaints and an 18 year old man, who had learning difficulties and a mental age of about 13, killed himself a few days after it aired because (it is alleged) his house had faulty heating, as the Ghost in the show made noises in the pipes. His suicide note was interpreted as a reference to the show: "if there are ghosts I will be ... with you always as a ghost".

It has been released on DVD and on Blu-ray, but it's never been re-aired in the UK.

It's easy to find on Youtube.

I saw it at the time and was terrified, it's a very effective horror film. It's use of friendly well-known faces who are mostly known for live TV presenters playing themselves, and filming it as if it were actually live, made it feel overwhelmingly real.

So real in fact, some people could miss the first minute or so and completely think it's real.

That makes me wonder if every country/society had a “War of the Worlds” incident as people gained mass exposure to radio plays or tv or whatever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

TGG posted:

I loved those damned movies but the second is really superior and I have no idea how you pull off a third after that Jared Harris stacked sequel.

I remember seeing that in theaters and having a few people audibly gasp at the big finish.

Legit how do you do a sequel to a Jared Harris Moriarty?

Moriartie$.

Also he has a sister and, oh no!, she’s hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

No no no that’s I’m really bad at this, please help.

Hugh Grant is what I call my extremely large testicles.