Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah I don't care I just like talking about a show I like, you should watch it if you like good TV shows

Actually re quality TV have you watched The Knick?

Here's a detail to bring it back on topic too, it's 100% diegetic light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Plucky Brit posted:

Nice to know that The Lion King got its art inspiration from such varied sources:

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...=10&authorName=

This was part of the promotion when it came out in Denmark. Like, literally every critic was all fawning over the Triumph des Willens quotes. On a film techincal level, naturally. Not a nazi level. There were interviews with whoever lead animators getting into details about the lighting and the camera angles and poo poo. I'm saying even if it was supposed to be subtle, it wasn't.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lambeth posted:

I think it's more common in this generation than previous ones. For example, it's become more and more common for younger people in food service and retail to have tattoos.

It's probably more common to have visible tattoos now, but people in their 30s & early 40s definitely have a lot of tattoos (especially their kids' names as mentioned).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw high 5 on "highest they've seen" IQ but also being a huge failure at life. We're blood now.

Feels awful man :that green frog:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

president camacho is smart as hell

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

president camacho's state of the union

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Got around to seeing The Danish Girl, and a lot of the scenes in (especially the early part of) the movie were clearly inspired by Danish painters. Door-ways and people with their backs turned.

Eckersberg, Woman in front of a mirror

Hammershøi, Interior in Strandgade

So many more of their works are referenced.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jabby posted:

An old one from Demolition Man.

We all know that whenever John Spartan swears he gets fined one credit for 'violation of the verbal morality statute'.

But I just noticed that when Huxley swears about her boss at the start of the film she gets fined half a credit 'for a sotto voce violation of the verbal morality statute'. Or in other words, she got fined less money because she swore under her breath and no-one heard her.

It's a really good movie except for the Denis Leary parts.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymltNm4p2VY

:rip: giraldo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"mcdonalds"

lmbo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Leary is a horrible poo poo person and I wish he died instead of Greg.

It sounds horrible to say that but at least the world balance would still be intact. And even if not, at least that dirtfuck would be gone.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

deoju posted:

I finally caught Spotlight last night. There's a scene with Rachel McAdams interviewing a victim of abuse in a bar. There's a football game on the TV, which isn't surprising, but the team is Penn State, and the shot ends with Joe Paterno the on the screen.

Nice detail! Really good movie, btw. It's not super subtle, but I like the way all the outsider's attitudes change gradually. I think someone in this thread mentioned the working class guy? All the interviewees were really well played on both sides. Especially the guy in the diner and the working class guy. Also smooth lawyer guy, you know who.

I'm being vague cause I'm too lazy to use spoiler tags so whatever, this won't gently caress up anybody anyway.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pitt had himself partially lobotomized for Burn After Reading

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hazza posted:

I've got Ratatouille on Blu-Ray. Changing the audio language will actually change entire scenes, as the languages on posters/letters/etc will also change dynamically. Examples include the aforementioned mother's letter, and the condemned poster that the food safety inspector pastes on the restaurant door towards the end of the movie.

For a while I used to watch R5 releases (Russian rips) and even 10 years ago, they were doing dynamic changes of important signs and titles. Titles are easy, but I remember watching Wanted (lovely movy btw) but p much every important in-movie sign was changed to Russian.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

muscles like this? posted:

That's probably because the director is Russian so he probably made sure extra effort was put in there.

That makes sense

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Afaik they don't morph, it's just they've prepared the video for certain markets.

I guess they can just make mini-scenes on a DVD/BR so when a thing is on the screen, it's chosen depending on the language setting in the menu

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Crow Jane posted:

Apparently he recorded it while standing on a pair of stilts in order to better capture being a giant tree man :kimchi:

That's adorable! Vin Diesel is a champ.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Solice Kirsk posted:

Season 4 wasn't as good as the other seasons, but it wasn't absolutely terrible. I think the funniest thing of that whole season was when George Michael sat on the piano in the mirrored layout house and it played the wrong pitch keys.

There were moments, but it was too "clever" which is a weird thing to say about an Arrested Development season. They had too much time to write it and not enough network pressure to make it watchable. It became an ouroboros of itself. A metaouroboros.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dug up the thread from whence it came:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301111

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

syscall girl posted:

Reading archived threads is interesting for the good jokes and seeing several banned/perma'd users per page.

Yeah that surprises me every time. Lotta churn in here.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ryoshi posted:

Weird to see you say this, last year I read an archived thread where you kinda lead the way through an ARG - it was cool to see that you were still active.

I saw NdGT the other day and he pointed out that in The Breakfast Club the characters' parents' license plates reflect their hopes for their respective delinquents - the jock's dad's plate says OHIOST and the nerd's dad has EMC2.

"I got a ciphertext on AIM" or something yeah? Game master sent me that cipher because I had been active in a previous ARG/code thread. It's pretty funny if you read the thread now cause I'm jus proud as hell "Heya I decoded this letter idgaf" then SA members start to nudge me to pick up another letter and good god there is one in the trash. good times.

We did it though. We saved Sara and stopped the Sect.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

God Hole posted:

The female leads in both Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow are named Rita. I figured there might be some deeper meaning to this so I did a quick google search on the name Rita and found in most cultures it means "Pearl" and in some instances "Child of Light". Or it's just short for Margherita.

But considering the male lead's name in Edge of Tomorrow is literally "Caged Will", I'm thinking they weren't really trying to be subtle about it and just gave Emily Blunt's character the name as an overt nod to Groundhog Day.

That's a nice connection though, even if was unintentional

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tears for Fears posted:

Grow the hell up.

Fears of Gears... Tears of Pears or something or vice versa?

There's a joke to be made about this guy being an idiot who plays gears of war but ive burnt all my creative energy making awesomely silly comments during a family movie

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Len posted:

Did Johns sexuality even come up in the movie? I only saw it once but I don't remember it being a thing.

Pretty sure he's straight. We're talking about Pitch Black right?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oldpainless posted:

Beeman is the guy with the bees and stuff for those who are unaware

What the fu how does that make sense? I wish they'd name the heroes & villains more aptly.

Like Honeydude, or Sugarfam. That's what's in the hives you know? Oh! HiveClive, that's a name for the bee-villain

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Len posted:

So his sexuality isn't important and goons are yelling at each other for no reason

goons will yell at each other always & forever ~ nous sommes les chanteurs :o:

but also theyre talkin about a comic book, so the movie isn't evidence lol

anyway, i too have noticed that bisexuals in books & movies & tv are usually sleazy scumbags. Their bisexuality is like the emphasis of their gross heartlessness. its super weird how common that is, like i cant believe that all script writers have been scorned by a bisexual person?

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Nov 26, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's not an old lady ffs.

It's a big old fatass dude.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

True but i didnt use a gendered pronoun

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cleretic posted:

He's got a few facts muddled up, but basically, the Famicom Disk System in Japan had a startup jingle, and the Gamecube's systems menu uses a very, VERY slowed-down version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjEsXf3SJ6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uCEeCUecNI

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Unmature posted:

Whoa, what? It's been a while since I've seen it. What two characters do they each play?

i havent seen it since it came out, but if its not like a clark kent/superman situation, i dont get it either

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, it as supposed to be rapey and horrible. Making it comically awkward would have been weird as hell.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bitterandtwisted posted:

Rewatched Groundhog Day and noticed something new: when Phil takes the old man to hospital, there's a boy in the background with his leg in a cast - the boy Phil later catches falling out of a tree.

Groundhog Day is amazing, especially for how much work they put into the background scenes.

imo its the king of subtle movie moments.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bing!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That's pretty amazing

So are they pure CGI or just newer physical props now? Like for instance in Fury or idk, any western front WW2 movie since Saving Privat Ryan

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Whaat, the early 1990s Stalingrad? oh wait that was German.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Enemy at the Gates has its moments, at least for me, but I'm a sucker for Ed Harris & Rachel Weisz.

But yeah, the German 1993 Stalingrad is amazing. Horrible, and amazing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Arcsquad12 posted:

The actual sniper scenes are great and very tense. Its just everything involving the bigger picture of the Russians and Germans is awful stereotyping.

Oh yeah for sure. Like most big blockbuster attempt movies, everything's painted with the biggest brush you can find. Any subtlety present is probably a subversive insertion by cast & crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gromit posted:

Is this trailer representative of the film, because it didn't make me want to see the it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QlK-l-vpZQ

Oh wow. That trailer is pure 90s trash with the "In a world they didnt" ugh

No, that trailer is not representative at all.

this seems to be an updated trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN6bfVJmhbc

"they thought they were the best soldiers; then came the slaughterhouse of Stalingrad they lose everything: friends, belief, will to live."

its dark and horrible.

Thomas Kretschmann's breakout role I assume