Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Sweet steampunk designing skills; a grooved metal cylinder with some string wrapped around it will definitely spin the record at precisely the right speed at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

An ideal place to use a complicated set of gears is ignored, good job idiots

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

thatsthejoke.jpg

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hmm it'd be worth $300 to broadcast 'eat poo poo aliens' in a loop for 24 hours if the signal wasn't terrible and the satellite didn't freeze and stop working 3 minutes after launch (it will)

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

you get 100 points on that scale if you get ulillilla to post here

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hey ian my job is hiring entry-level hourly php student coders, you should apply in a few months after you learn enough php to realize that being bad at php does not make you a computer millionaire

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

Also for that PHP internship... do you have a link?

sure just email your resume to jobs@clownpenis.fart. sorry ian but you can't telecomute and its not in your area.

also all the stuff you said makes no sense at all

Ian McLean posted:

When people start throwing machines at statpedia snycing ip numbers from all over the wolrd, perhaps by then the quantum algorithms will be able to detect those silly patterns. By then there will be some type of pattern detection software on statpedia.

lol. what. do you know what an algorithm is? i'm sorry i don't mean to mock you that much because you probably legit have a diagnoseable mental thing, you should probably talk to a shrink

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

walk-in closet entirely dominated by woman and you get the smaller side with like 2 feet of hangar space heterosexual supremacy

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

if you can't figure out how to not be fat you're an idiot shitlord. Its just about eating less, not even healthier, just don't shove as much food into your fat face

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

you morons ian is gonna throw in $200 of his own money to get your $300 (of which he probably also contributed $150)

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Ian, how have you not attracted any big investors to this idea? I mean, a user-edited stat website would definitely bring in over $300k a year operating costs with enough left over to pay back the investahahahahahaha sorry i couldn't do it

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

My college has a 'business incubator' that will help out idiots with bad ideas young entrepreneurs and give them free lawyer services and office space and stuff, surely there has to be something like that at your school?

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

how is gamestop even a thing still

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i went to a mall with a rich person with no impulse control because he had to get borderlands 2 RIGHT NOW and you can't buy a thing and leave gamestop without a greasy goateed guy trying to sell you pre-orders and the entire store is visually appalling and its like everything i hate rolled into a tiny lovely location.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

ian you'd be the most boring crazy person if losethos guy wasn't so much better than you at this

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

Not Crazy. Check out how nice statpedia is these days: http://statpedia.com/staging/week-27/#!/population

:)

it looks like poo poo, the pic on the right entry is broken.

it looks like a nice first project thing that you could show off to get hired doing junior web development after you graduate tho so i guess thats something

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i just fell for the trap and tried to think of a genuine use case for statpedia and besides 'loving none' all i could come up with is people trying to bring up evidence for some factoid they just heard and none of the stats would have any context and it would just be a conduit for people talking out their asses about poo poo they have no idea about

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

no, but I do not see another company other than apple with an iphone. What is your point?

:allears:

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

The statpedia search automatically calls on the wolfram search to display on statpedia. That way it is a fact checker against anything that anyone uploads. It is also marketing for wolfram.
it doesn't work in most cases and statpedia largely just displays word salad with broken links on almost every keyword that it manages to find

listen ian, i know you want to be the computers famous millionaire ideas guy but nobody's out there just wishing they had more stats, the average person doesn't even understand what statistics as a thing even is. face it, there are people way smarter than you working on way more important poo poo than a facebook for stats. you are not the steve jobs of stats who is just misunderstood and will later be lauded as a genius.

i would recommend getting into the novelty sound effect iphone app field while the gettin is still good, i find the current selection of burp and fart pianos somewhat lacking

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 28, 2013

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

maybe you should make a line graph over time of your manic episodes

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

polpotpi posted:

ian if i search for <script>alert("yopos bitch");</script>

it probably shouldnt do anything

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Ian, you have not even gained enough experience to understand that statpedia is utter dumpster garbage in every possible way. Only when you feel it in your heart that you have produced a steaming turd of a project, can you move forward on a quest to build a Less lovely Thing.

oh and by the way that next thing will be lovely too

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

I work for a startup whose main product is a pretty stupid idea, but they have something that you don't. their plan to generate revenue is not:
1. gather unverified crowdsourced stats on a server
2. uhhh ads i guess?
3. maximum profits, fifty million dollar house

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hey Ian your overarching goal of owning a 50 million dollar house or die is indicative that you are a bratty whitebread burgoise-wannabe fucker so maybe you should pick the latter option

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

good ol' spergin burgin

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

By knowing that I will listen to what they say, and do it.

please give me money then tell me how to fix my lovely idea !!! special early offer, act now

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

I want to move from programming into a position where I can pursue my entrepreneurial passions. From what I gather I need to give myself a series of massive concussions, any suggestions on the method?

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hey guys i'm gonna write a diabolical script:

code:
url = 'dominoes.com'

while 1:
    order_pizza(url)
within seconds they will have millions of pizza orders and use up all of their company resources making all the orders only to find that nobody bought the pizzas! check and mate

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

google will automatically notice that rapid hits are coming from one ip address and exclude them from the results and google will care about your script as much as anyone cares about statpedia

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 29, 2013

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

congratulations, you just invented the concept of a botnet. even if you knew what the hell you're talking about (you dont) you're still a decade late

also your python code is poo poo and wouldn't do anything as written

your code:
- commit click fraud 39 times
- while you're committing click fraud, close google chrome infinitely forever

e: closing google chrome is unnesscary because your clicks would be ignored/discarded either way

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 29, 2013

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

python is great, the thing you just wrote is cs101 levels of incompetent and shows you have no understanding of how programming or the internet works

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

guys guys guys
code:
url = bankofamerica.com
while 1:
    steal_money_from(url)
brb gettin a wheelbarrow to haul off all this e-cash i'll be making

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

what

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hey ian i'll buy the coat as long as you provide a clause to refund me if the enchanted jacket does not cause rain in controlled situations

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

That is fine.

I will give you my phone number. If there is ever an issue, you can call me.

I dunno, since you're a mage and all can you get me something in more of a cravat that causes meteor showers?

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

ian realtalk you should seek help regardless if you're actually crazy. actually theres almost no way you aren't crazy, go talk to a doctor

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

no ian pay me to take over googling for jquery functions so you can free up your time to come up with unrealistic manic ideas full-time

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

um if my loved ones died i'd be real distraught but i wouldn't immediately become a moron and throw my money at magical undead crystals. if you do that you were an idiot beforehand and i guess i understand your argument but its really tough to pity that sort of behavior unless you straight up have a mental illness like schizophrenia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

ok i agree that selling dumb poo poo to idiots is unethical but if we're gonna ban everything that falls under this category we'd have to ban literally about 1/3 of all items sold

• Locked thread