Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

SHITPOST.BAT posted:

I'd do this, tell everyone but DeLancie to gently caress off, then just chat with him about the film/tv industry for an hour or two over food.

you could probably do it for half the price by just paying him directly and you wouldn't be putting $10000 towards a brony documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Mister Snips posted:

i dont look forward to the day that adventure time gets a creepy fandom b/c its p neat

lol too late

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

When you've seen people with a 6" diameter scar on their body from briefly leaning up against the steam generator in a nuclear reactor, you learn to fear the gently caress out of steam.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Jet Age posted:

That's actually pretty reassuring.

Oh, well, let me help you with that.

43% of the most well-funded kickstarters are for video games

also that brony documentary got like over 100k

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

capture point b fucken noobs

SPY SAPPIN' MAH TACTICAL LAMP!

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

CaptainMeatpants posted:

pretty sure he literally phoned that in

like over a consumer grade telephone

on the flip side, ron perlman never phoned it in

quote:

Fallout 2's development also contained its fair share of snafus that, despite the hectic pace of the schedule, made for fond recollections. "Ron Perlman threatened to kill me for how I wrote the end-game narrative text," Avellone says, grinning. "It had some pretty horrible lines for any voice actor to try and say. I wasn't there at the session, but the audio producer brought in mp3s of Ron Perlman threatening to kill me, my family, and I believe my dog, even though I don't have a dog. It was pretty scary.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Bob NewSCART posted:

Doc Block, when i try to use awful s ii maxx i log in and then the app just closes. it makes me very sad

lol

i bet he'll hop right on fixing that problem vivec

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

it's almost like the awful s2 maxx app is deliberately unsupported because it's a quick port of a half-finished product almost solely released to piss ohio off and nothing else!!!!!!!!

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

follow this 1 weird old friend to lose money in microtransactions in under a week!

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Ian McLean posted:

I start my masters degree in CS at UCI starting this fall.

lol come work at western digital like every other half-competent uci cs grad

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

i like big datasets and i cannot lie
you other brothers can't deny
that when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist and a cumulative density function in your face
i get sprung

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

hey ian how are you going to prevent widespread corruption at statpedia in the wake of the jimbo "jimbo" wales wikipedia scandal?

you might want to start looking for telltale signs of corruption with your team members. do any of them like making money? you may want to fire them immediately

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Dr. Honked posted:

you can do it enrique!

so $5 goes towards the materials from Michaels but where does the other $5995 go?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

so now there's some european site called gambitious where people can both donate and actually invest in games

and 3D Realms is on board with a new game

loving lol http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-25-3d-realms-returns-with-post-apocalyptic-fps-earth-no-more-on-new-crowdfunding-site-gambitious

george broussard needs more wow money i guess

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

i thought he blows his cash gambling

i'm not sure what he's doing now but for about six years during the DNF "development" he was literally playing wow for 14 hours a day including all day at work

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

lol that you think money would help ian

it'd help him get his cs degree from the esteemed university of california irvine which in turn might help him understand......something, i dunno

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Ian McLean posted:

anyone have an opinion on this: http://flask.pocoo.org/

it's yet another python web framework oh boy

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

ian you need to use this site

http://allofthem.net/bitcoins/

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Ian McLean posted:

Honestly... maybe I don't know everything, but I am learning, and like someone said, the CS masters degree is definitely going to help push me in the right direction.

what's your undergrad in, seriously? and how much programming experience do you have? because it's not easy to just roll into a grad level cs program, even at uci

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

ian a CS degree aint just php programmin u kno that right?

literally this

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

also you know that there's no php research group right ian?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

ian you never answered my question. what is your background and how are you prepared for cs grad school?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Ian McLean posted:

I audited a bunch of compsci classes last quarter which helped. I have taken programming courses in the past.

holy poo poo i have friends who went to uci, you're going to be eaten alive lol

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

i mean like seriously you don't know anything about algorithmic complexity or formal language theory or programming language concepts or systems architecture or networking or really anything that's going to be important in grad school. cs101 and some php scripting and sitting in on a couple of classes isn't even close. you're going to be in for a world of poo poo

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

yeah if i can make a request, pls make sure the next crazy we invite has some asm experience

he can do anything jawn he said so. i'm sure asm would take him 3 days, a week max, to pick up

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Deacon of Delicious posted:

so is statpedia supposed to make money for you somehow?

he's using a tried and true revenue generating method

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

A personal appeal from Statpedia founder Ian McLean

"plz help me with my sql homework"

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

ian, I am having a hard time believing that you are for real at this point.

oh i'm not convinced he's real but the appeal of believing that he's for real and is this ignorant and deluded and about to enter graduate school at a uc campus is just too loving much. i want to believe so bad. :(

ian let me know when you're presenting research and i'll drive over from work and watch not even kidding here

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

CaptainMeatpants posted:

i paid money where is train

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

lol

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

unixbeard posted:

ian why dont you think of another idea, this time pick one that has a clear path to being economically viable and that is relatively quick to get off the ground.

ian should focus on cs grad school and forget any of this kickstarter poo poo until he understands something

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Ian McLean posted:

The intro class is Python. I just wanted some formal programming training for best practices.

lol why in the gently caress are you taking machine learning without taking intro to ai? and i love how you're taking poo poo like machine learning and high performance arch and ignoring basic poo poo like "databases" and "algorithms" and other things that you really need as a base......gently caress it why am i even bothering.

rock on ian

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

there is literally not a practical class in that list except intro to programming

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

btw sorry for serious posting but i work in irvine and there's a depressingly real possibility of me working with this idiot one day

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Ian McLean posted:

I have taken algorithms and intro to db before. Machine learning seems like it is pretty much a select niche of algorithms, so taking it on its own is fine I think.

when you float through grad school (because that's easy to do if you just want to get through and not actually do or learn anything) and graduate and can't get a job because you can't do basic cs 101 poo poo like describe how quick sort works or write a queue from scratch the schadenfreude will be glorious

also you literally don't know what machine learning is at all it's not "here's some algorithms time to go make an ai now!" but whatever

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

like, maybe it's different at ucla but nobody took machine learning unless they were specializing in ai because it's literally that useless in a practical sense

e: actually i take that back we got a kinda cute machine learning professor right before i graduated so there were people who took the class for that

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 6, 2012

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I guess I'm starting to see where the grads who don't know a null pointer from their dick are coming from

people who haven't been to graduate school don't understand how useless those classes are in practicality, at least at a research university

you can literally make it through cs grad school with a decent understanding of math and no understanding of basic practical cs concepts

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

quote:

UCI is in my opinion the best campus in Southern California.

lol

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

FamDav posted:

Don't believe that he was accepted to UCI for a masters in CS.

Seriously what was that class schedule.

it's what a person with no advisor picks when they think they know what they're doing and don't talk to anyone in the department

seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

i won't lie, i went to grad school in cs without a cs undergrad either.

the difference is that my undergrad was math not philosophy, and i spent 4 years going to a local university part-time (while working full-time) to catch up on the undergrad classes because i knew i was woefully unprepared for grad school

if only i had known that i could watch some courses on itunes u and get into "the best university in southern california" :(

e: also i'm fully aware that i'm not a great coder yet. another difference between us i guess

• Locked thread