Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here's a boiler explosion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCej2OQSKnY

here's the opposite, when you clean a railroad tank car with steam and then seal it up without letting it cool down first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz95_VvTxZM

don't mess with steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

futurebot 2000 posted:

litterally rolling irl

i would like you to take a picture of yourself rolling to prove this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it was only 300k on the kickstarter but looks like that failed completely so why not ask for even more next time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tiny bug child, tiny bug child, tiny bug child!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

incidentally, lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

That was not me. Perhaps just a person that believes in Statpedia!

quite a bit more likely it was someone who saw that you had 10 dollars of $300k with 2 days left and decided to pledge an obscene amount to mess with you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

“people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

― Steve Jobs

But no, I do ask around, and continue to get good feedback.

ian, i knew steve jobs. steve jobs was a friend of mine.

ian... you're no steve jobs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh i get it, it's basically a market research company but they don't have to have any researchers cause all of the research is crowdsourced and instead of selling it it's ad-supported. makes sense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

++;

i just got it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dur posted:

is it pronounced ee-an or een

i prefer een

"eye-an"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

I don't even care about explorer.

you do realize that most of these professors and academics who you expect to create all your content for free know literally nothing about computers and undoubtedly use ie, right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

I am not going to spend countless hours fixing IE 6 bugs. http://statpedia.com/staging/week-2...wsers_stats.asp

i went there and there was a blinking insertion point after the table, so my immediate reaction was to hit backspace, and well,

you may want to fix this "bug"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CaptainMeatpants posted:

idgi it's just a huge blank text field

yeah like i said earlier, there was content but i instinctively backspaced it and hit submit so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

Everyone keeps posting garbage. Way messed up. Just want to make nice things look ugly?

I don't want to be on these forums anymore. There are too many no good people. I don't need to be running around cleaning up other people's garbage.

you should hafe lurked more

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what exactly does your service provide that makes it superior to typing "zyng" into yahoo, google and maybe a few other places individually, besides like 5 seconds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

dude... 10 dollars for platnum member status to find your earlier post. I just want to say thanks everyone for all your input.

Should i just flash the investor proposals to the entire yospos world? Okay... here you go... please don't flame me too hard on this one. I am open to allowing someone edit a new version of the investor presentation if they think it needs improvements somewhere. I think statpedia is legit. It needs money, so going different avenues is definitely something worthwhile. All the current requirements of funding were listed by the team. I entered myself into the budget, and that is it. The development team decided the rest:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1lJQk9_cDo4v3IfAext3zMIqSKoMuuxyWkaph5bbEg_c/edit#slide=id.g4e9534a_0_31

As far as paid subscription goes, no way jose. This data is never going to get used if people have to pay to see it.

Universities do have various systems of uploading data into things. I remember hearing some sociology students speaking about a particular system they use. Data for particle accelerators is coming in all the time. I don't need to reinvent how all these systems currently being used gather the data. I just need to get the data if there is some way it can contribute to statpedia, or pull websites display mechanisms of the data for search so their beautiful stuff can be found.

There are standard database formats that most data is stored. The tricky part is interpreting it in ways that people can understand. This is where chart labs so wonderfully comes into play. Presenting the data in some useful mechanism is super important, but also being able to search for the data and see the actual numbers is nice. Take this for example: http://mcmstv.web.cern.ch/mcmstv/#evd If this data was in statpedia, one could maybe use that data to show a graph of how often different types of particles are created.

What if I am a humanoid robot, and I want all these stats to make decisions. Maybe statpedia can help these robots. All the publicly posted data on statpedia should transfer into some standard format that any standard system out there can read. Need like the ultimate sql repository. There are so many varying database structures. An sql command prompt can be initially used to establish connections to varying databases. From here, tables can be called, and individuals and organizations can opt to host their database on statpedia allowing access to varying data for the search.

Some people may just want to render results from the the search. Some may prefer to use SQL to generate the tables for statpedia chart labs.

People want to be able to pull data, and turn it into meaningful stuff. I need one of those little import/export .sql buttons. Then, make a little window for someone to access to type in sql commands, then convert that stuff over into a matlab, octave, R type thing, go to the statistical design factory, then out it pops into search display. :)

I am trying to get this team spirit of fusion going for all these statistics. This is synergy stuff. Like serious synergy.

Free sql repository uploading place on statpedia. As long as everyone's total sql files are stored to its own unique id everything should be chill. Obviously we are going to know when people's and organizations sql files are being used within statpedia, and so we can create a YouTube type profit sharing system for all those stats. :)

With the sql connection thing, perhaps the users could fast forward and rewind this: http://mcmstv.web.cern.ch/mcmstv/#evd

maybe change the angle around. if the entire sql database is right there within it i can do a search within statpedia for particle accelerator data, and pop, its in search. Maybe one could host it on their own website, and plug in the final result of something amazing, then link it to statpeida.

There are endless possibilities with statistics. Infinity does still exist I believe.

and then we optimize this thing: http://code.google.com/edu/parallel/mapreduce-tutorial.html eventually optimized it into this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover's_algorithm for most optimal database and search performance. Thinking in terms of endless possibilities, I suppose even that last search algorithm can be improved. That is if we can answer this question... http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=296126

Here is this guys answer: rrtucci

I'll give you an analogy that might help you. Suppose you know a series that converges to a constant pi whose value you don't know a priori. Think of the Grover oracle as a subroutine that gives you only partial information about the series each time you call the subroutine. Your goal is to find the limit of the series. Grover's algorithm helps you to calculate that limit by calling the oracle fewer times than you would have to, classically.

By the way, here is a Matlab program ( http://qbnets.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/my-secret-life-as-a-captain-of-the-grovers-algorithm/ ) that I wrote of a more general version of Grover's algorithm(GA). This new version is more general in two important ways:

(1)It does not require that <s|t> be of small, where |s> is the starting state and |t> is the target state. (The original GA only works if <s|t> ~1/sqrt(N) )
(2)It converges with absolute certainty to the target state (The original GA converges only with a finite probability.)

Back to the data being imported into statpedia... if there was a way to use other already established systems that connect to a public sql window, that would work. Maybe statpedia could be allowed to crawl the database of entire systems collecting all the data for system input and format restructuring.

Otherwise, I could see there having to be all these custom database platforms linking externally into statpedia.

Good Stuff. Thanks again guys for all your input. It really means a lot.

Also, I am open to help with the video as mentioned in the previous comment. I would love to make a nice video.

i just wanted to say you should try clicking the little question mark at the bottom left corner of someone's post and see what happens

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also ian i noticed some references to grover and grover's algorithm in your post. i don't know how you got in touch with him so quickly but DO NOT LISTEN TO GROVER

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you forgot

25 power_outlets_count = power_outlets_count + 1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CamH posted:

i used a goto in some c# code at work and my boss made me change it :(

you could always do a

///hey boss, GOTO hell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gently caress da police :c00lbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no way

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what is this posted:

that was my kickstarter lesson in don't buy things on kickstarter

see the inherent problem with kickstarter is that people say things like this. you are never "buying" something on kickstarter. you are just sending money to a black hole somewhere and hoping that it'll spit out a thing you want at some indefinite point in the future. it's not the same as preordering an anime from gamesport or whatever

can't wait for the nerd-rage when the ooooyeah doesn't show up on the doorsteps of those 30,000 people who think they "bought" one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just a butt posted:

the kickstarter tos

and that's literally all. once the money is in your account you can do whatever the gently caress you want and short of a civil suit (which would probably get thrown out since the tos says no guarantees) you're golden

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just realized we're getting the $10000 investor package right here, right now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no, but i am pretty sure that most courts would throw out a criminal fraud charge. first off the money was donated in a legally vague situation -- it's not like you have to register as a nonprofit or w/e to be on kickstarter, and in fact i would say it's actually most similar to micro-venture-cap or something, where you absolutely have no guarantee of return on investment. but more importantly, getting money from people to do something and then failing at it isn't a crime unless you intended to from the beginning (so don't post your plans). kickstarter funders aren't shareholders either so you aren't financially obligated to them.

seriously, i think the worst that could happen is they try to bring a class action suit against you but even with the lowered burden of proof i think it'd be tricky to find a court that would side with the bunch of angry anime goons over the ~tragic american entrepreneur~

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

same

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

hey this is pretty cool and might help a little bit.

yeah that's actually a surprisingly big step in the right direction

i especially like that new products and hardware aren't allowed to show renderings of "what it's going to look like someday" any more, only photos of the exact currently available physical prototype. that's really hardcore restrictive, and people are already getting pissy about it, but it is absolutely something that needed to be done

also like the stuff about not offering packs of 10 OUYAS IN EVERY COLOR as a reward because that implies that you have a bunch of them ready to ship instead of metering them out to developers to assist in the process

i am genuinely impressed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

only if they can be fired forwards at high velocity

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

You told me to upload it... didn't take me long to figure out that file is not supposed to be shared. Not like it matters SINCE THERE IS NOTHING ON IT! I already removed the program. So... whatever man.

perhaps you should have checked this out first though, maybe figure out if something called "wallet.dat" is supposed to be shared publicly on the internet, especially when the whole drat forum has been making fun of you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

im jaded. im literally made of jade. even my dilz

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

Because I can do anything.

that sentence fragment is not an answer to either of his two questions

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lazy Programming posted:

Going to start by saying gently caress you for making my first post in yospos a serious post.

that's not really his fault man

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

i'm going to petition congress to pass a law making it legal to kill anyone seen wearing this shirt

it's for their own good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is that a real rms

and based on the phrasing, is it actually something where he like stopped some dude's presentation to spew all that sperg

cause wow

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I don't understand how you kickstart a soft drink for $500 unless you're making it at home in reused bottles and ugh i dont want to think about this anymore

i think he just used one of those companies where you can order like 60 cans of super cola or dr. spicy or red taurus or other knockoff soft drink with your company's logo printed on the packaging, for your company picnic or investor meeting or whatever. i would guess that's why it's suspended, sadly not because it is horrible, but because he's just reselling another company's services

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you left out the best part btw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can this thread still be about worthless kickstarters or is this just the ian mclean depreciation station?

cause well i found this list of terrible poo poo that i won't even describe, it speaks for itself

https://angel.co/done-deals

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i didn't read most of that (it sounds p. angry) but when you say orange county is the best place in california, like, dude, have you been to the bay area? man. nocal is so much better

(also requisite lolololo hahaha what did you think this was, the something NICE forums? read the url shitloard :smaug:)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ok well i read this part too

quote:

Here is one possibility: Nicely say to someone that I want to study at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, and it is probably not much more than filling out a few documents and being in good academic standing.

no not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ian i dunno if you realized it but this web sight is not really a big friendly positive and optimistic place like most of the internet is, and most of the people here derive immense pleasure from "dissing" or "trashing" ("flaming" in web speak) people who they perceive as stupid, insane, self-centered or otherwise worthy of mockery

you actually got some pretty good tough love suggestions earlier in this thread but you chose to ignore them and so everyone kind of went "welp enough of that then" and really let loose and your big meltdown up there is the ideal and intended outcome

i am truly sorry for your loss but i would suggest myspace as a "safety site" as i have heard it is A Place For Friends

• Locked thread