Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
but will it have zombies? :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Jonny 290 posted:

you can do that now with existing operational ham radio satellites, a surplus police walkie-talkie and a few feet of wire to make an antenna

obviously dont do this, there are like 5 voice satellites in orbit at the moment and theyre all slammed to the wall busy 100% of the time

im gonna do it, im gonna troll space

problem, NASA?

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

pram posted:

picture of qirex posting on app.net

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
uh jonny you appear to have... uh you didn't... um... :shobon: :sweatdrop:

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
So there's this kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1318318905/creative-commons-fantasy-portrait-marathon

quote:

Hey everyone in Kickstarter Land,

I'm a fledgling entertainment artist / art student and lover of free culture.

I intend to create a set of at least THIRTY freely licensed Fantasy Portraits crafted in a painterly style, to be used in games and media by anyone! All of the portraits will be released dually under both the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike license and GPL 3.0. These portraits will be created using solely Free/Libre software (GIMP Primarily) and are being crafted specifically for the FLARE project (formerly OSARE), a Free/Libre computer game currently being developed with inspiration from games like Diablo and Heroes of Might and Magic. But because of the license I am choosing, they will likely be used in a great many free/libre media projects, from other video and computer games of different varieties, to print board games and rpgs, to modules and adventure scenarios or for use in other media.

Now this is where you come in. I need to raise money to continue my education next semester with the fine people at Concept Art Academy in Pasadena, and I want to complete this portrait set during my holiday break. The above image is a self portrait I made in the style I intend to use for this collection, and major supporters of the project will have their likeness used in fantasy portraits that will be featured in the fantasy computer game FLARE mentioned above! Here's a copy of the image as it will appear in game dialogs:

Above, I mentioned I would paint at least thirty portraits because it is possible I could reach my funding goals with fewer than thirty supporters, and in that case I would do additional portraits to reach my goal of thirty, but if I have more supporters than thirty than I will do as many as there are people who want them!

So I'll keep this somewhat short and sweet. The holidays are coming up, FLARE is shaping up into a game with amazing potential and support of this project will get you a painted portrait of yourself as a fantasy hero, you will have your likeness featured in a video game and you will be allowing me to continue my art education so I can make more freely licensed art and games in the future! It's a win win win win.

tl;dr: nerd working on a ~free/libre open source~ fantasy RPG game wants some art assets, uses kickstarter to sell commissioned art he draws of people as rpg characters

the community gets free-licensed art, nerds get to live our their dorky fantasy of seeing themselves in an RPG and some shitstain gets a free ride to a part time videogame art college

here's what you get for your money:

whats up wayne rooney

im the dog

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Null Pointer posted:

its kinda funny how your name has 'lean' in it but your startup doesnt.

drat son

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
i hope this chucklefuck gets kanbanned

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
irc snype

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

theflyingexecutive posted:

Yeah just got my sweet rear end deck of cards from the only kickstarter I've ever supported

i got like $500 worth of stuff kickstarted

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

one is a low budget vidoegame review show by ryan macleud off of consolevania and the bbc-produced version, the other is a devkit for those oculus vr glasses carmack was touting

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
the low budget review show one is p funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4W7SSunjVk

and they were asking for like a pitiful amount of money and din't expect it to be even close to fulfilled

when a bunch of fans donated they just about shat themselves it was p cool

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
Code Hero: A Game That Teaches You To Make Games
by Alex Peake

quote:

Code Hero: a game that teaches you how to make games! Your Code Ray shoots Javascript in Unity 3D. Hack the planet: Become a code hero!

7,459 backers
$170,954 pledged of $100,000 goal

oh hey that does sound pretty cool actually i wonder how the project's getting on

Dustin Deckard posted:

about 19 hours ago
To anyone keeping an eye on this space - a modest number of Code Hero backers have reached out to me, sharing information and requesting to be kept "in the loop" with any of our collective findings. You should know, right off the bat, that based on what we've found (and been told) - Alex Peake seems to have run out of money after spending it recklessly, and doesn't plan on continuing with this project. There are well over 1000 backers out there who pledged for physical rewards. And, tragically, 6 backers who pledged at the $1k level who thought their money would be well spent on an educational tool for schools.
As I've said before - I'm sort of desperate to be proven wrong about all of this. An update on the status and future of Code Hero would be more than welcome. But, should that update never come, all backers should feel free to email me at:
codeheroclassaction@gmail.com
Please provide only whatever details or information you are comfortable sharing. This may include your pledge level, pledge amount, if you have attempted to contact Alex or Primer Labs, if you've requested a refund, etc.
Please note that this is an early attempt at organizing backers of Code Hero into a group where we can better communicate. No legal papers have been filed at this time.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
are you required to provide somebody with a full copy of the license text before you shoot them with a gplv3 gun

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
at my last job the boss got machine learning mixed up with distance learning and kept trying to get me to do one of those stanford online courses about machine learning

i kept telling him that it was entirely irrelevant for someone writing bank software in rails but he kept pulling a face and going "hrm, no, i really think you should learn this, it looks useful"

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

craisins posted:

please say you're using NoSQL too

nah, although they were talking about using mongo when i left

go on then, tell me what's wrong with using a p language to write stuff used by a bank i'm just dying to hear why using something other than Ye Olde Language is doing it wrong

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
p languages are alright i guess if you just want something quick and dirty but nothing will ever match the warmth of a good java applet, or the raw fidelity and crisp undertones of a c++ executable

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

0xB16B00B5 posted:

fyi im not trying to shaggar but youre a retard if you use anything except for c# in an enterprise setting

i was trying to ridicule ur post by mimicing it but settled for just quoting it outright

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
woOoooOOoooOOoo im the spectre of rock star developers and im here with my good buddy the ghostly brogrammer and we're gonna infect your codebase with memes and hipster libraries

edit: also anime bullshit for some reason

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
shaggared again

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
i will murk you blud i swear down

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
your posts and the required material for dealing with your posts combined into one handy item

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

flyboi posted:

ruby sucks so much poo poo

cjs arent allowed opinions about programming languages

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
and who has the rights to Atari this week

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

LastInLine posted:

one its not for sale or resale so its technically valueless

two it's to a person and not a company so depending on the item it can be a personal purchase and therefore duty free (this would qualify)

they should have valued it at $100 though since (again depending on hts classification) shipments up to $250 are exempt from duty regardless

three it's a worthless piece of poo poo

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

WorkingPeer posted:

you won't be able to install new watchfaces or firmware updates until Apple gives Pebble the stamp of approval. The Android app will be available in Google Play as planned tomorrow.

:smug:

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
you do know who ulillillia is right

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
that is awful I hope she is ok

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

AWOOGA

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
i unironically backed the omni kickstarter and i'm unironically going to film a remake of cyberzone in my living room

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Al! posted:

id trust a crackhead over almost any other politician, at least you know where his motives lie

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

WorkingPeer posted:

on the subject of mexican food: london is barely catching up with most mid-sized american cities, but jfc at least we have a nice variety of real british-grown chillies and our guac doesn't have loving mayo(!!!!!!) in it!

Benito's Hat on Goodge St owns, fresh ingredients and amazing tortillas and a burrito the size of your head

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
ive never heard of mad mex before but the name is amazing

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Nomnom Cookie posted:

hows the cuban food. i expect its rly good

Non-extant

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
I went to a Subway when I was in Times Square and let me tell you Americans don't know how to make sandwiches.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Nomnom Cookie posted:

can mods probate each other? if so mod everyone with more than 10 posts in yospos

Remember when Rorschach got banned by an LF mod and he got real mad about MY TEN DOLLARS and them he died in real life.

rip rory you got trolled over $10 then you died

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
kickstarter unable to do anything about kickstarter project on kickstarter because of kickstarter's policies *horns.aiff*

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Al! posted:

like who outside of teenagers is impressed with the ability to open bottles at any time with your keychain

drunks

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
"We'll split the game up into episodic content, allowing for the same amount of stuff to be delivered eventually but with a timeline that means people get to see some content sooner!" said Valve, planning Half Life 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

qntm posted:

"agile"

im the 'loath' column in the half-life team's retrospectives

• Locked thread